What Are the Odds the Lakers Make the Playoffs?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,735

Re: What Are the Odds the Lakers Make the Playoffs? 

Post#81 » by naabzor » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 am

Seems a pretty trash team to me. Don't get me wrong, nice player and nice talent, but zero chances of making the playoffs.
the_other_guy
Junior
And1: 312

Post#82 » by the_other_guy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:55 am

Its like being hit by a lightning.. twice.. on the same day.. odds.
Tzar
Sophomore
And1: 120

Post#83 » by Tzar » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:56 am

CarMalone wrote:In before RingsDontLie says 100%.

RingsDontLie is claiming 74 wins and a playoff sweep (BI dunks on KD in the WCF to win a close-out game, of course).

Then, a lopsided W in a death match to save planet Earth in a game against the Monstars. Except, in a sudden twist of fate. The entire team, except for Lonzo, can't make it to the outter space arena because their flight suits got lost. So, Lonzo and Bill Murray suit up and take home the W.
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,419

Post#84 » by Mrakar » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:56 am

100%: Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Thunder
Then u have Timberwolves, Trailblazers, Nuggets, Clippers, Pelicans and Grizzlies fighting for 4 remaining spots

Lakers can be better then Kings, Mavs and Suns and maybe Jazz but its longshot.

So basiclly 0% chance.
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
DavorFanCroatia
Senior
And1: 691

Post#85 » by DavorFanCroatia » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:26 am

Much better odds that we (Celtics) have your pick (2-5 overall) then you make the playoffs.
Warriors, Rockets, Spurs, Thunder, Wolves, Clippers, Nuggets, Blazers, Pelicans, Jazz, Grizzlies, Kings are way better now
Its Lakers, Suns and Mavs for last 3 places IMO
There's only one statistics that's important: who won...Bill Russell
Riko
Rookie
And1: 685

Post#86 » by Riko » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:49 am

1% Chance. I think that all their players are pretty raw or mediocre and basically Ball (the only one unknown at pro level) should be able to lead them to the postseason. So very unlikely.
To comparison the only to-5 pick capable leading a under-30W to the PO in the last 20 years in his rookie season were: Anthony, Wade and Duncan (plus partially Ben Gordon).
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#87 » by TTP » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:02 am

Spens1 wrote:
Eglend wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
KCP i'd argue is better than Wes Matthews, at least he should be next year (Wes Matthews was absolutely awful last year). Also Lopez is miles better than Nerlens Noel. Hell, offensively Zubac is probably better than Nerlens Noel.

I guess I agree on KCP, but i strongly disagree with Lopez being better than Noel. Even then the main point stands.

Noel is better at rebounding and maybe defending (could make the argument). But offensively Lopez is a 20PPG + center who stretches the floor which is something Noel has no hope of doing.

The Nets may not have won many games with Lopez, but last year without Lopez playing they won no games. None whatsoever.

How generous of you to concede that Noel is "maybe" a better defender than Lopez. The gap between the players overall is probably pretty close.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
TTP
Head Coach

Post#88 » by TTP » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:09 am

TankShow wrote:
Slava wrote:Come on man.. I'd call it a success if they match last season's win total. The net rating of that starting line up if you use last season as an indicator is absolutely brutal.

Seriously?

The Lakers clearly have a better roster than last year. If they don't win more games then last year that will be an indictment against Luke if anything.

Lopez and Caldwell Pope are both huge upgrades over Mozgov & Clarkson.

Lonzo at worst should be what Russell was last year while being a much better distributor and playmaker.

Ingram will only continue to develop and improve his game.

Yeah they probably aren't a playoff team, but they should at least be 5-10 games better then last year.

If you're going to use this method of argument, why are you leaving out Lou Williams? You should be comparing KCP to Lou, not Clarkson. Lou's impact for the Lakers last year was greater than the expected impact of anyone you added.

OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Post#89 » by OdomFan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:50 am

I think it be a good confidence boost moving forward if they could reach 9th or 10 seed though.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,562

Post#90 » by jpengland » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:18 am

Not a chance. And that's not an insult.

The backcourt will be inefficient, the frontcourt is perhaps the worst defensively in the league.
durden-tyler
Junior
And1: 287

Post#91 » by durden-tyler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:22 am

Eglend wrote:.01%. On a sidenote I fail to see how the Lakers are being projected to be better than the Mavs when they are pretty much worse at every position besides starting point guard.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShowyAjarFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#92 » by machu46 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:44 am

I think they're far more likely to be in the 12-15 range in the west than the top 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Texas_Lakers
Senior
And1: 354

Post#93 » by Texas_Lakers » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:I say 40/60.

Lonzo will be rookie of the year and the rest of our lineup is much better than last year. We got stronger at every position and got rid of the players who set bad examples and couldn't lead a team (Russell and Young).

G - Ball/Clarkson
G - Pope/Brewer
F - Ingram/Deng/Kuzma
F - Randle/Nance
C - Lopez/Zubac

Pretty good bench with guys who are due for a breakout year (Randle, Clarkson, Nance). At this point the top 6 teams in the West are GSW, SAS, HOU, MIN, OKC, and a tossup between NOP and DEN. The rest of the West is up for taking. I don't see how the Mavs, Suns, Blazers, Kings, or Clippers are better than the Lakers.

Much better chances than last year for sure, just got to keep the players engaged in what Walton is trying to implement and you never know what can happen. The new player additions will surely be a plus for this team and we have the right player at the wheel to steer us in the right direction. I'm pumped.
2018 Los Angeles Rams
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,065

Post#94 » by tidho » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Lonzo would actually have to be as good as people pretend he is to have a shot.
markjay
Starter
And1: 1,611

Post#95 » by markjay » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Slava wrote:
TankShow wrote:
Slava wrote:Come on man.. I'd call it a success if they match last season's win total. The net rating of that starting line up if you use last season as an indicator is absolutely brutal.

Seriously?

The Lakers clearly have a better roster than last year. If they don't win more games then last year that will be an indictment against Luke if anything.

Lonzo at worst should be what Russell was last year while being a much better distributor and playmaker.

Yeah they probably aren't a playoff team, but they should at least be 5-10 games better then last year.

You need an all star to make a 10 win jump.

Lakers made a 9-game jump last year without anything close to an all star.
markjay
Starter
And1: 1,611

Post#96 » by markjay » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:47 pm

TTP wrote:
TankShow wrote:

Seriously?

If you're going to use this method of argument, why are you leaving out Lou Williams? You should be comparing KCP to Lou, not Clarkson. Lou's impact for the Lakers last year was greater than the expected impact of anyone you added.

Lou played only 58 games for the Lakers last year and the team's winning percentage with and without him was almost identical.
TTP
Head Coach

Post#97 » by TTP » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:53 pm

markjay wrote:
TTP wrote:
TankShow wrote:Seriously?

Lou played only 58 games for the Lakers last year and the team's winning percentage with and without him was almost identical.

I'm guessing there was a significantly different strength of schedule between those samples (or some other external cause) because many advanced stats had Lou as one of the most productive SGs in the league last year during his time on the Lakers.

They were 10.3 points better when he was on the court last year.

bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#98 » by bulliedog8 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:00 pm

Why do people think the Mavs will be soooo bad? They bring back the exact same team as last year but add a better starting pg, even if he is a rookie. They have a top 3 coach. Their record might drop a little because of other teams getting better, but they are still definitely better than the lakers. And DSJ might be better than ball right now. But we will see come regular season.

Personally, I think the suns young core is better than the lakers. But because they are young, they will probably still be pretty bad.

Kings got good vets around their young core. brought in 3 role players from tough hard nosed playoff teams last year. I know they are older, but all great influences.

Lakers legit might finish in last in the west. Only saving grace is if they do get a PG and/or lebron next year. If they miss out on Lebron, PG13, and Cousins, then that would be very unlucky
Texas_Lakers
Senior
And1: 354

Post#99 » by Texas_Lakers » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:04 pm

tidho wrote:Lonzo would actually have to be as good as people pretend he is to have a shot.

Turns out, Lonzo is better than what most poeple pretended he would be.

ESPN Stats & Info ✔ @ESPNStatsInfo
Lonzo Ball has 3 straight games with 10 assists.

No other rookie in Las Vegas Summer League history ever had more than one.
12:11 AM - 14 Jul 2017
260 260 Retweets 497 497 likes
2018 Los Angeles Rams
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 548

Post#100 » by They_Them_Hatin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:09 pm

I definitely think they won't make it but I can see them in 9th-11th place because they have nothing to lose and the other teams might just start to tank.

Return to The General Board