You think Dennis Smith Jr can be as good or better than Dame Lillard?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,931

Re: You think Dennis Smith Jr can be as good or better than Dame Lillard? 

Post#21 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 am

Domejandro wrote:I absolutely love Dennis Smith Jr., I see him as a more efficient Baron Davis (which is a phenomenal player).

I wouldn't say more efficient. I think the Baron Davis comparison is correct, nothing more or less.

Baron had TS% at .55 and .60 in college, he declined in NBA because he lost efficiency on his inside game with e bigger guys. Same worry will be there for Smith Jr, shouldn't overlook that as not all guards that score in the paint learn to transition to the NBA with the same efficiency.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#22 » by draftnightsuit » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:25 am

azcatz11 wrote:
draftnightsuit wrote:Smith is Steve Francis.

Nothing more nothing less.

IS that a good thing or bad thing?

Depends.

If you like flashy athetic scoring guards then it's a good thing.

If you prefer passing, defense, and high IQ play then it's a bad thing.
joyeuxnoel
Bench Warmer
And1: 699

Post#23 » by joyeuxnoel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:34 am

No, hes considerably more athletic than Lillard and doesn't have his jumper.
Embiid-Simmons-Covington

Fire Colangelo
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,837

Post#24 » by Domejandro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Domejandro wrote:I absolutely love Dennis Smith Jr., I see him as a more efficient Baron Davis (which is a phenomenal player).

I wouldn't say more efficient. I think the Baron Davis comparison is correct, nothing more or less.

Baron had TS% at .55 and .60 in college, he declined in NBA because he lost efficiency on his inside game with e bigger guys. Same worry will be there for Smith Jr, shouldn't overlook that as not all guards that score in the paint learn to transition to the NBA with the same efficiency.

Dennis Smith will be a better perimeter scorer than Baron Davis though, that is where Baron's efficiency tanked most.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#25 » by agentofatlas » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:Why do I get a feeling this is what people, especially NY fans, wish would happen?

I mean his drives aren't really as aggressive or violent as Rose or Westbrook's. Call me crazy but he actually plays with more pace than either of them.

Don't wish no harm on him, it sadly just looks like it's going to be inevitable. Of course there's going to be a large contingency of Knick fans who wanted Smith over Frank, but lets see these guys play maybe some games before this story drives us all insane. I mean we got highlights already breaking down the way Smith lands on his dunks and jump shots, combine that with injuries he's already had? He's just going to have to wear that red flag, but hopefully he never gets hurt. On the other hand there are tons of Knick fans who were extremely happy we drafted Frank, myself included and it had nothing to do with potential injuries, I personally just like Frank as the better fit.

Not to derail the thread, but Smith is going to have to prove he can shoot like Lillard, Lillard in that regard is light years ahead of Smith.

What does frank have to do with anything? I'm just stating an observation that every thread or highlight video or something about DSJ there's someone stating how "worried" he is about "his landing mechanics". Word for word same sentence. Its like they're wishing for him to get injured.

Anyways, he will get injured. He's a guard in a the modern NBA. Look at all the current all-star guards, almost all have been injured one time or another. Hell your current draft pick is nursing his knee right now. With the amount of play these kids have accumulated already by the time they get to the league, their knees are already **** up.

Now to DSJ himself, I think he has the floor game to survive or to minimize his injuries. His drives are more shifty than stop and pop and i really like his shooting motion, specially of that little step back he has. I think he has a chance to become a very good shooter from range and knowing the Mavs that's probably the first thing they try to develop as Rick Likes his guards to be able to play off ball and shoot.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:09 am

Domejandro wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Dennis Smith will be a better perimeter scorer than Baron Davis though, that is where Baron's efficiency tanked most.

yes true, still below average for a guard i imagine.
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#27 » by KobeBryant24 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:10 am

I see a more athletic kyle lowry , which is pretty good imo
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,741

Post#28 » by SkyHook » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:13 am

No, but Donovan Mitchell could be Dame + Defense.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#29 » by karkinos » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:18 am

SkyHook wrote:No, but Donovan Mitchell could be Dame + Defense.

that's basically a completely different player lol
dame's defense is non-existent
TwoStarz
Analyst
And1: 1,842

Post#30 » by TwoStarz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:54 am

I don't know who he will be like but he sure looks like Lowry twin man

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#31 » by RCM88x » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:08 am

He reminds me most of Westbrook, but a bit smaller and more fluid with his movement.

I don't see the Lillard comparison at all, his style of play is completely opposite of Lillard. But can he be better than him? Perhaps, but unlikely. Guards that cannot shoot are usually not going to be good as ones that can. However I expect him to be a much better defender, which isn't saying much but could eventually be the difference.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,231

Post#32 » by Papi_swav » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:11 am

draftnightsuit wrote:Smith is Steve Francis.

Nothing more nothing less.

This is exactly what I have been calling him this whole time, a young Stevie Franchise, but he can be more efficient.
Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Post#33 » by Soupman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:23 am

I think Jeff Van Gundy was calling DSJ a smaller version of Steve Francis.
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:30 am

Soupman wrote:I think Jeff Van Gundy was calling DSJ a smaller version of Penny Hardaway or Steve Francis.

weird comparison
Soupman
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by Soupman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:35 am

My bad JVG didn't say that...
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,760

Post#36 » by evilpimp972 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:37 am

The way he lands is gonna be problematic
And I mean inevitable if he doesn't fix it ASAP.
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,812

Post#37 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 am

I get the excitement for Dennis Smith Jr, but man, I'm kind of over getting too hyped over summer league performances. As a Bulls fan, I've seen Portis, Doug, and Jerian Grant tear things up in the summer league to only result in sub-par to poor regular season performances.

On the flip side, I remember being extremely nervous about Derrick Rose after seeing play in the Summer League when he looked so damn average and even bad times, but he eased all my concerns once the regular season started.

That's not to say Dennis Smith will fail, and I definitely don't want him too, I'm always happy to see young talent entering the league, but I'm not about to get ahead of myself with any of the summer league performances. I've been there and done that, and refuse to allow myself to get too hyped.
Why so serious?
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#38 » by pelifan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:49 am

as maybe the biggest DSJ fan, (I honestly thought this kid could be the best player ever a year ago) Im glad to see him doing well in summerleague. I was a big Lillard fan when he was coming out too, in fact these are the 2 prospects in the last 5 years that Ive felt the best about, maybe McCollum too.

That said not going to change any opinions based on a few summerleague games. I think DSJ has MVP potential, especially if he continues to try and model his game after Chris Paul. He can be as good as he wants to be, he's the most gifted young "point" guard Ive seen since Allen Iverson
Soupman
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by Soupman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:49 am

DSJ's defense is pretty good .
1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,513

Post#40 » by 1993Playoffs » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:08 am

TwoStarz wrote:I don't know who he will be like but he sure looks like Lowry twin man

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

He looks like lowry and dame imo lol

Return to The General Board