Dennis Rodman HOF Eligibility

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Pats19andO
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#21 » by Pats19andO » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:58 am

holy crap almost 19 rpg!
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#22 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:41 am

Dennis has a few things that need to get settled overseas before he can be elected into the NBA HOF. It's a no brainier choice!!
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#23 » by Warspite » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:19 am

HMFFL wrote:Dennis has a few things that need to get settled overseas before he can elected into the NBA HOF. It's a no brainier choice!!

1. There is no NBA HoF

Look up Artis Gilmore and if you can make a case that Rodman was better than him I ll buy but you cant.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#24 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:28 am

Warspite wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

1. There is no NBA HoF

Look up Artis Gilmore and if you can make a case that Rodman was better than him I ll buy but you cant.

I know the name. You want me to compare a 7 footer to Dennis Rodman, am I missing something here? :roll:

* I'll play....going to look up the stats now.

Artis Gilmore: 10.7 RPG - 7'2

Dennis Rodman: 13.10 RPG - 6'7
mattyj
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#25 » by mattyj » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:50 am

Iceburg Slim wrote:Averaging 28 in college isn't that significant. It all depends on how that translates into the league. Plus Rodman's offensive game was very much like that of Ben Wallace's. I don't see Adam Morrison and/or JJ Redick leading the league in scoring any time soon....

His offence was just like Ben Wallace?

Rodman once hit 32/100 3 pointers in a season, i doubt Ben Wallace could do that in practice with nobody guarding him

Rodman could have been a much higher scorer than he was, he just put all his effort into Rebounding and Playing D

Rodman should 100% deffinately be in the HOF, and he if doesnt get in, then the HOF prooves what a joke it really is
Hawaii
Pro Prospect
And1: 21

Post#26 » by Hawaii » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:11 am

It was always fun to watch Dennis Rodman play. If I were voting, I'd vote to put him in. But I can see why they wouldn't, with all the controversy and the lack of scoring. But he's one of the few who's rebound stats were close to the ridiculous numbers of Russ & Wilt.
thefoulness
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#27 » by thefoulness » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:48 am

To me, Rodman def makes Hall of Fame. Great player. Multiple rings. Instrumental in winning those rings. Best defensive player/rebounder for 6-10 years. Easy call.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#28 » by triplet1984 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:58 am

The Worm should absolutely get in based on the merit of his play. Someone, i think lj4mvp, basically said he was like the Michael Jordan of rebounding, I think that's about right. To put it another way, Dennis Rodman was a better rebounder than Ben Wallace and Dwight Howard. Think about that. insane.
KR4
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#29 » by KR4 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:10 am

lj4mvp wrote:Something is seriously wrong if Dennis Rodman doesn't make the hall of fame. He may have been a flake, but he was a dominant basketball player. He dominated rebounding the way Jordan dominated scoring. 7 straight years he not only led the league in rebounding, the gap between him and the rest of the league was substantial. It's a pretty strong case that he's the best rebounder in the history of the game. Pretty much the only argument against it is claiming the two best rebounders played at the same time - Wilt and Russell. Dennis is pretty clearly the best rebounder of the past 40 years.

Look at just how much he dominated. Shaq's two best rebounding seasons he had 13.9 and 13.2 rebounds. Without Dennis, he would have led the league in rebounding by about 1 rebound/game. Yet instead of leading the league in rebounding, he was a distant second as those two years Rodman averaged 18.3 and 17.3. :o

Kevin Willis had a monster year rebounding where his 15.5 was 3.2 better than the next best guy. Yet he lost the rebounding title to Rodman by another 3.2 rebounds/game because Rodman had 18.7 that year.

The next 4 years, Rodman won the rebounding title by 4.3, 2.7, 4.5, 1.4 rebounds/game.

On top of the rebounding, Rodman was perhaps the best defensive PF in the history of the game. At 6' 8", he was the best defender in the league against prime Shaq and prime Alonzo.

I agree, but the rest of his game was faulty. He should still make it though.

Bill Russel was the greatest rebounder of all time though.
KR4
Lead Assistant

Re: Dennis Rodman HOF Eligibility 

Post#30 » by KR4 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:12 am

Illuminati wrote:When is he eligible? Do you think he will get the votes?

He's a deserving character.

Thats pretty cool that you can get a computer/laptop/wifi connection in the slums. :eek1:
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#31 » by studcrackers » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:25 am

KR4 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree, but the rest of his game was faulty. He should still make it though.

Bill Russel was the greatest rebounder of all time though.

this isnt really calling you out but it just kind of irks me how people say russell was the greatest rebounder ever.

if i had to rank the top 3 he's 3 and he has a case for 2 IMO, but what made him a better rebounder than wilt when wilt led the nba in rebounding for all but 2 years. id probably rank rodman or wilt 1 it depends on how you felt about the pace of the game back then.

im not calling you out i just dont understand the logic that made russeell a better rebounder than wilt, is it b/c you associate one with offense and the other with defense?

just curious
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
KR4
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by KR4 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:31 am

studcrackers wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

this isnt really calling you out but it just kind of irks me how people say russell was the greatest rebounder ever.

if i had to rank the top 3 he's 3 and he has a case for 2 IMO, but what made him a better rebounder than wilt when wilt led the nba in rebounding for all but 2 years. id probably rank rodman or wilt 1 it depends on how you felt about the pace of the game back then.

im not calling you out i just dont understand the logic that made russeell a better rebounder than wilt, is it b/c you associate one with offense and the other with defense?

just curious

Yes, I do, I associate Russel with Defense, and mainly because he won a ton of games. Its a great question that you're asking. Wilt is definitely there. But if you guys remember, Rodman's sole purpose for living was to get rebounds. He didn't care about anything else, and it worked perfectly for the bulls. Russel and Wilt were the best players of their time and rebounding was only part of their game. Don't you think that if those players, or LeBron, Jordan, Duncan, Shaq, etc etc focused completely on rebounding that they could have put up those numbers??
crackjack
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#33 » by crackjack » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:31 am

I don't think he'll officially get in.

However, he does have my vote.

The fact that he was a great rebounder and great post defender while being 6'8", 210 is simply amazing.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#34 » by studcrackers » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:41 am

Yes, I do, I associate Russel with Defense, and mainly because he won a ton of games. Its a great question that you're asking. Wilt is definitely there. But if you guys remember, Rodman's sole purpose for living was to get rebounds. He didn't care about anything else, and it worked perfectly for the bulls. Russel and Wilt were the best players of their time and rebounding was only part of their game. Don't you think that if those players, or LeBron, Jordan, Duncan, Shaq, etc etc focused completely on rebounding that they could have put up those numbers??

i still dont agree with the russell over wilt (but i was also just looking for some debate)

i think you're underestimating rodmans defense, you dont get to be 8 time all defense by being a slouch

id say if rodman and russell are somewhat similar, im sure if russell wanted to he couldve dominated scoring wise but he never did and that was in a league where the pace was much faster in rodmans days. they both focused the majority of there energy on the defensive end, though russell was a good passer but who's to say russell isnt just a glorified rodman or ben wallace w/a little bit more scoring ability?
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#35 » by INKtastic » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:54 am

In russell's best season, he had 24.7 rebounds/game. The Celtics as a team missed 5151 shots and 685 foul shots. Assume half of the missed foul shots were rebounding oppertunities and assume that the other team missed roughly the same number of shots/foul shots. That's roughly 10987 rebounding opportunities, or 137.3/game. Russell got roughly 18% of those playing 44.6 minutes/game.

In Rodman's best year, he had 18.7 rebounds/game. The total missed shots that year by the pistons and their opponents, again assuming roughly half of missed foul shots were rebounding oppertunities, was 7390, or 90.1/game. Dennis grabbed roughly 21% of those playing 40.3 minutes/game.

Another way to look at it - if you take Rodman's numbers from his best season and scale them to the available rebounds in russell's era and to the number of minutes Russell played, Dennis ends up averaging 30.8 rebounds/game.

And like the poster above me said, you way underrate Rodman's defense.
2 time DPOY and the best defender I ever saw taking Shaq and Alonzo one on one.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
KR4
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by KR4 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:08 am

I stand corrected. And yes, I did forget that rodman was a vert good defensive player.

Nate Thurmond was a great rebounder too...I'm watching the old GSW-DET finals in 76 right now
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,229

Post#37 » by TheSheriff » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:03 am

There are much more deserving players who aren't in, so no.
Sub-Zero
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#38 » by Sub-Zero » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:08 am

HOF in my book
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#39 » by hype_2004 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:18 am

[quote="lj4mvp"][/quote]

Very good analysis, LJ4MVP is on fire!
realfung