Arenas Talking Like Max Contract Is Automatic For Him

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

BballerShotCaller
Senior
And1: 16

Arenas Talking Like Max Contract Is Automatic For Him 

Post#1 » by BballerShotCaller » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:29 pm

Why is Gil talking like a Max Contract is such an Automatic thing for him?

Is he just trying to influence others perception with his audible confidence?

"I'm still gonna be the No. 1 free agent. I mean, on a bad leg I average 22."

Nothing is that Automatic or Guaranteed.[/i]
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#2 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:36 pm

well because it's true, he is good for 29 ppg 6 apg 4 apg and still is no where close to his prime
BballerShotCaller
Senior

Post#3 » by BballerShotCaller » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:38 pm

The points and stats are great but....

What has he actually won? He has yet to prove himself as the guy who
can be the main force for winning or making a team surpass its expectations.

Does he sell tickets? Really? Does he put butts in the seats at home?, on the road? Or does he simply write an entertaining blog, nothing more, nothing less as far as his drawing ability to sell tickets?

Didn't Riley just say to Marion that there's only 2 Max guys, Duncan & Garnett?
Mr. Savage
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Arenas Talking Like Max Contract Is Automatic For Him 

Post#4 » by Mr. Savage » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:38 pm

BballerShotCaller wrote:Why is Gil talking like a Max Contract is such an Automatic thing for him?

Cause it is ?

What is the point here ?
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#5 » by jax98 » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:39 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:well because it's true, he is good for 29 ppg 6 apg 4 apg and still is no where close to his prime

You just pulled a Marbury ;)

But I agree. Arenas is good for those numbers. Especially if he's in a free system.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#6 » by theTHIEF » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:39 pm

I wouldn't give him the max...
Mr. Savage
Banned User

Post#7 » by Mr. Savage » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:40 pm

BballerShotCaller wrote:

No.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#8 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:41 pm

arenas is my favorite player and i love his personality but mannn gil... comments like these are really gonna make people like u less. :nonono:

as for the money side ur rite nothing is automatic but before his injury he was most certainty a max contract player.
Elway=GOAT
Analyst

Post#9 » by Elway=GOAT » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:42 pm

BballerShotCaller wrote:The points and stats are great but....

Does he sell tickets? Really? Does he put butts in the seats at home?, on the road? Or does he simply write an entertaining blog, nothing more, nothing less as far as his drawing ability to sell tickets?

No, Steve Kerr did.
Dry_Fish
RealGM
And1: 8,377

Post#10 » by Dry_Fish » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:43 pm

cause maybe this guy got some money.....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#11 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:47 pm

He is right that he will be the number 1 free agent. He would be wrong to conclude that a max salary is guaranteed. The only team capable of offering that much is Washington. The next best offer on the table is likely to come from Philly starting at about $12.5M a year with 8% raises.

Over 5 years, the Philly deal would total $72.5M. (If they trade away their draft pick, they could offer up to $82M over 5 years, but that's a big gamble since there is no way of assuring they'd land Arenas.)

A max deal amounts to $99.2M over 5 years. I don't see why Abe Pollin would readily fork over a max deal when the next best offer is $27M less.

I figure the Wizards should offer something like $80M over 5 years (with a player option of $15-$20M on Year 6). That's $25M more than Kevin Martin got plus a player option tacked on at the end.

Also, the Wizards could front load the deal. Make it $16M a year with no raises. That would give Arenas and additional $2.6M in interest income above and beyond Philly's best offer; and it would generate more cap flexibility in the future.
BballerShotCaller
Senior

Post#12 » by BballerShotCaller » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:49 pm

zaRdsAndZeRos wrote:arenas is my favorite player and i love his personality but mannn gil... comments like these are really gonna make people like u less. :nonono:

as for the money side ur rite nothing is automatic but before his injury he was most certainty a max contract player.

Sounds like he completely disregards how the injury and re-injury episode
would automatically take him out of a sure lock for the Max.

Not saying he doesn't deserve close to max. but the injury, then re-injury, and possibly a short end of the year showing of 5-10 games if at all, with some summer work,...

is that enough to be an automatic lock for a Max contract? Personally I don't think so. The injury & re-injury alone shave off something from a Max contract.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#13 » by theTHIEF » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:52 pm

nate33 wrote:He is right that he will be the number 1 free agent. He would be wrong to conclude that a max salary is guaranteed. The only team capable of offering that much is Washington. The next best offer on the table is likely to come from Philly starting at about $12.5M a year with 8% raises.

Over 5 years, the Philly deal would total $72.5M. (If they trade away their draft pick, they could offer up to $82M over 5 years, but that's a big gamble since there is no way of assuring they'd land Arenas.)

A max deal amounts to $99.2M over 5 years. I don't see why Abe Pollin would readily fork over a max deal when the next best offer is $27M less.

I figure the Wizards should offer something like $80M over 5 years (with a player option of $15-$20M on Year 6). That's $25M more than Kevin Martin got plus a player option tacked on at the end.

Also, the Wizards could front load the deal. Make it $16M a year with no raises. That would give Arenas and additional $2.6M in interest income above and beyond Philly's best offer; and it would generate more cap flexibility in the future.

I was thinking along those lines myself

looking around at the teams with cap space and looking at Washington's books, 5/$75 was about what I was figuring...
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#14 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:53 pm

BballerShotCaller wrote:The points and stats are great but....

the wizards hadnt made the playoffs for 7+ years before arenas game to dc. he took the wizards to the 2nd round of the playoffs his 2nd season with the wiz (his first season he was injured for the majority of it). hughes, jamison,butler and deshawn have all played better next to him then any of the previous teams they have played on. does he sell tickets??? look at the average attendance this year as apposed to last for the verizon center.... multiple all nba teams 3 time all star 1 time starter 29 ppg with 6 assists and 4 rebounds. in the top 10 in both 3 pointers made AND fts attempted for the 06-07 season. AND hes still young. as a wizard fan i have no problem with front office giving gil the max.
BballerShotCaller
Senior

Post#15 » by BballerShotCaller » Wed Mar 5, 2008 3:55 pm

^^Good Post Nate33^^ Thanks for that info. I didn't know those specifics.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager

Post#16 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Wed Mar 5, 2008 4:11 pm

Rashard Lewis makes max money do you really think Arenas won't get the max? Yes he puts people in the seats, took his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs with out refs giving him superstar calls, has taken a bad franchise to the playoffs 4 straight years, that's more than some other so called stars have done (T-mac). Get off his back and stop analyzing everything he says.
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#17 » by Alex_De_Large » Wed Mar 5, 2008 4:17 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:Rashard Lewis makes max money do you really think Arenas won't get the max? Yes he puts people in the seats, took his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs with out refs giving him superstar calls, has taken a bad franchise to the playoffs 4 straight years, that's more than some other so called stars have done (T-mac). Get off his back and stop analyzing everything he says.

Arenas has done more than Tmac? LOL
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#18 » by theTHIEF » Wed Mar 5, 2008 4:18 pm

well this is a discussion forum, and as long as he's going to continue to be so public, i don't see a problem with having a civilized conversation about it...

myself personally, i'd like to see him get less to refute his statements and train of thought...but i'm a hater...
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager

Post#19 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Wed Mar 5, 2008 4:19 pm

Yes he has^^^

Call me when T-mac gets out of the second round. T-mac is one of the biggest disappointments in the NBA. Lebron is the anti-T-mac.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#20 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 5, 2008 4:19 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:Rashard Lewis makes max money do you really think Arenas won't get the max? Yes he puts people in the seats, took his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs with out refs giving him superstar calls, has taken a bad franchise to the playoffs 4 straight years, that's more than some other so called stars have done (T-mac). Get off his back and stop analyzing everything he says.

By that logic, every player better than Rashard Lewis deserves the max. Rashard Lewis is perhaps the 40th best player in the NBA - if that. Do you really think 40 guys deserve the max?

Just because Orlando made a mistake doesn't mean that everybody else should make the same mistake.

Return to The General Board