how much longer can the Spurs compete?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

houstonboy01
Sixth Man
And1: 11

Post#21 » by houstonboy01 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:17 am

dont call me a Homer, but the Rockets with a fully healthy season are the only team besides the Lakers that have the personal to dethrone the Lakers.
Kid Vicious
Analyst
And1: 478

Post#22 » by Kid Vicious » Fri May 30, 2008 11:31 am

houstonboy01 wrote:dont call me a Homer, but the Rockets with a fully healthy season are the only team besides the Lakers that have the personal to dethrone the Lakers.

I think they have to get out of the 1st round before they start 'dethroning' future NBA champioins.

Chill dude.
Serpo
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Serpo » Fri May 30, 2008 11:32 am

The SPurs need some new role players and they'll be right back . Their big 3 aren't old , the bench is . Bring in some younger guys and Popovich will bring them right back .

It's amazing how far he came with such an old team this season . Many of the guy weren't even productive anymore .
schneiderjazz
Assistant Coach
And1: 19

Post#24 » by schneiderjazz » Fri May 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Serpo wrote:The SPurs need some new role players and they'll be right back . Their big 3 aren't old , the bench is . Bring in some younger guys and Popovich will bring them right back .

It's amazing how far he came with such an old team this season . Many of the guy weren't even productive anymore .

Spot on. Every year the Spurs don't win the championship, people think they're on their way down. If they get one good player this offseason, they're contenders again. Until Duncan is at least 35, I don't see them not having a chance of winning the title.
As bad as losing 4-1 in the playoffs look, it's not like the series wasn't close.
Had the Spurs not blown a 20 point lead in game 1, things might have been different. Had they won one more game against the Lakers in the regular season, they would have hca. Lakers are incredible right now, but IMO, the Spurs are not too far from them.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#25 » by Flash3 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:18 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:The Spurs are a smart, well run team. I think they'll be competing for a long time to come.

They have a great organization.
Indeed.

What's been the 1 constant in all of their runs besides the defense they've been known for? -- Veterans.

Veterans who know their roles, and players that came on reasonable contracts WANTING to win. They get veterans to round on their teams who know their roles.

The Spurs will do things the way they've always done things, Their Way! They are far from 'done'.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
DwayneSchintzus
Rookie
And1: 1,482

Post#26 » by DwayneSchintzus » Fri May 30, 2008 2:55 pm

one athletic big and a replacement at SF, plus a younger piece or two on the bench = 2009 title. i don't care about bynum.

the lakers won this year and hats off to them but it's not like they were light-years ahead of San Antonio.
These are the opinions of one lifelong Spurs fan, nothing more
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#27 » by boogydown » Fri May 30, 2008 3:01 pm

What if the Spurs get Artest? It's possible, though a questionable character, he has been a very good and disciplined player the past few years.

PG Parker
SG Ginobli
SF Artest
PF Duncan
C Oberto

They could also attempt to move a few players, try to bring Iverson and other players in here. Maybe Arenas as well in exchange for Ginobli? Maybe Jamison. I expect the Spurs to land one big free agent.

PG Parker - 12 mil
SG Iverson - 15 mil
SF Artest - 8 mil
PF Duncan - 20 mil
C Oberto
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#28 » by miller31time » Fri May 30, 2008 3:03 pm

Tony Parker is 26.

Tim Duncan is 31.

Manu Ginobili is 30.

Parker will only get better in the next 5 years. Duncan's game is such that he won't severely decline over the next 3 years or so. Manu Ginobili is, technically, in his prime right now.

I completely trust the Spurs brass to put a solid team next to these three players -- there's a reason they've been consistently the best management in the NBA for years.
DBMethos
Junior
And1: 0

Post#29 » by DBMethos » Fri May 30, 2008 3:57 pm

We made it to the WCF's with Horry running on fumes, Finley providing next to nothing, Vaughn/Stoudemire/Bonner hardly playing at all, and only occasional sparks from Udoka/Barry. Not bad if you ask me. Our core is prime/near-prime. Just need to plug in some newer, younger roleplayers, and we'll be right back in the mix.
Biff
Starter
And1: 1,181

Post#30 » by Biff » Fri May 30, 2008 4:59 pm

[quote="HarlemHeat37"][/quote]

You killed the Suns no more than the Lakers killed you.

That being said, yeah you're in better shape than we are.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
zen_4_10
Lead Assistant
And1: 14

Post#31 » by zen_4_10 » Fri May 30, 2008 5:23 pm

The Spurs will be relevant as long as Duncan is still a force. His series against the Lakers shows he is still very much a force.
The Main Event
Assistant Coach
And1: 576

Post#32 » by The Main Event » Fri May 30, 2008 5:25 pm

They really aren't that old. Timmy has got a couple seasons left in him for sure, Parker just hit puberty. Ginobliy has got alot of seasons left in him and Bowen is a cockroach that will just always be around.
"A particular shot or way of moving the ball can be a player's personal signature, but efficiency of performance is what wins the game for the team."
- Pat Riley

Return to The General Board