VC and Gasol trade comparison

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Re: VC and Gasol trade comparison 

Post#81 » by Kobay » Fri Dec 4, 2009 1:28 pm

All chicago had to do was give up their 1st round pick. And gasol was theirs.

Ofcourse, everyone hesitated. Because Gasol was considered borderline allstar. When you paired him up with Kobe than sourgrapes started to bloom. Not to mention the emphasis of kwame brown, when he was turned into a 16 million in expiring with Aron Mckey signing.
dingclancy
Analyst
And1: 90

Post#82 » by dingclancy » Fri Dec 4, 2009 2:23 pm

I for one sincerely feel that whatever the hoopla it is, the Gasol trade was a lopsided trade. That trade gave us a championship and a crack for another dynasty. You know why? That is what they Lakers do! They pimpslap the league and make it miserable for other 29 franchises.

I won't play angel and justify the trade because some of the fans here want to keep it real. So I'll keep it real. The Gasol trade is one of the reasons why our ownership and GM is legendary and all the rest of you suck. If you can't deal with that then don't watch the league.

Keep on hatin!

Happy now? Now whine some more. 8-)
crazytown
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#83 » by crazytown » Fri Dec 4, 2009 8:03 pm

MitchellUK wrote:
crazytown wrote:The difference is none of the GMs even knew Pau was available. Hence the reason the trade came out of nowhere when it was announced.

The fact that you're comparing the 2 just shows how underrated Gasol really is. He's easily one of the 5 best big men out there. Maybe even top 3

Lol, wut?

There were stories for weeks, even months before the trade of Gasol being on the block and various teams making offers. If media sources can get hold of such info, you can sure bet all the GMs knew.

Wow. You must have a short term memory. They were plenty of Gms that were furious after the trade was made. Did you forget Popovich's comments after the trade?

He's really off on a couple (particularly the Clippers), but check it out...

"Merry Christmas, L.A."

That sentiment, voiced by Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson upon hearing about the Pau Gasol trade, has been resonating around the NBA.

While just about everyone expected the Memphis Grizzlies to trade Gasol before the Feb. 21 trade deadline, no one predicted it would be this soon or for so little in return. Instead of established players, the Los Angeles Lakers gave the Grizzlies only a package of expiring contracts, draft picks and marginal prospects for Gasol.

While most GMs weren't publicly venting their frustration on having missed out on Gasol, plenty were willing to do so privately.

The excuses ranged from blaming Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace to blaming their owners to … well … pointing the finger in just about every direction but their own.

One GM I spoke to asserted he had a better deal to offer, claiming that Wallace didn't return his calls.

Another said that just two weeks ago, Wallace was asking for twice as much in return. If this GM had known the Grizzlies were lowering the asking price on Gasol, he would've made another offer, he said.

A Western Conference GM said the Grizzlies' timing threw him off: "Big trades like this normally don't happen until after the All-Star break. Who would've guessed that the Grizzlies would've jumped the gun and taken such a lopsided deal three weeks before the trade deadline?"

Another prominent GM said his owner vetoed any trade that would've pushed his team into luxury-tax territory.

Sour grapes, anyone?

From the sob stories, two themes emerged:

One, a lot of GMs are more than a little jealous that the Lakers, of all teams, landed Gasol -- especially given the price tag.

Second, it sounds like the Grizzlies didn't walk away with the best deal available.

Given that, we have to ask: Which other teams could have landed Gasol, and what could they have offered?

As a starting point, let's look at the basic parameters of the deal the Grizzlies accepted:

• About $11 million in expiring contracts (Kwame Brown and Aaron McKie)
• A prospect drafted in the middle of the first round in 2007 (Javaris Crittenton)
• A second-round pick from the same draft (Marc Gasol)
• Two first-round picks, likely to be in the No. 20 to 30 range (2008 and 2010)

Which teams could have matched or exceeded that deal? As it turns out, plenty of teams could have.
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#84 » by LakerFanMan » Fri Dec 4, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm sorry dude, but that's all a load of crap. Why would Chris Wallace take a deal if he thought he could get a better one, or if he had a better one on the table? Oh yea I forgot, he's part of a league wide conspiracy to make the Lakers better, even if it makes his team worse.

Face it, Wallace took the Laker deal because he thought it was the best one he could get. Did the Lakers win out on the trade? Obviously. But no GM is going to make a trade if there are better offers on the table.

BTW, notice how none of the other GMs were specific on offers they supposedly had on the table. All I keep hearing is, "We could have done better."
Sting3r
Head Coach
And1: 209

Post#85 » by Sting3r » Fri Dec 4, 2009 8:26 pm

^ dont even bother beating this issue ma4n.

People love to think they know whats going behind doors and what offers were available. Like you said if their was a better offer, why the hell wouldn't they take it? But of course if no one can provide any any proof of these "better" offers they do the next brain-dead thing and point straight to conspiracy, typical.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#86 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Dec 4, 2009 8:47 pm

VC is a lot older than Gasol was. He was a glorified bad contract at that point. Sort of like Jamison... as good as Jamison is, you wouldn't get much more value than an expiring for him.

The VC to New Jersey deal on the other hand was just disgusting. We got LESS than what the Nets did
lakerfan10770
Starter
And1: 3

Post#87 » by lakerfan10770 » Fri Dec 4, 2009 8:54 pm

mattyBoi wrote:I just don't like when teams are handed success like that...Whether it was set up or the Memphis GM is just the dumbest ass walking the planet it just doesn't taste right...Memphis had obviously better offers on the table including the Chicago deal, it just doesn't make sense. I mean the whole NBA collectively said WTF when they saw the trade.

Not trying to hate or anything, but don't you think you are being a bit hypocritical (I assume you are a fan of the Magic). How many times has the Magic moved up or won the lottery? If I remember correctly you guys got back to back #1 overall picks with the Shaq and then Webber (traded for Penny) picks. Then you got the #1 again with Howard, granted your GM made a brilliant pick going with Howard over Okafor, but still there was quite a bit of luck involved there.

As to the Gasol trade, it was quite shocking at the time. And you can count me in as one of the Laker fans who that thought the deal was lopsided at the time, and still do. But I also specifically recall that there was no team willing to offer as much in expiring contracts as the Lakers did. In fact, for the most part the offers involved average players on long term contracts (Nocioni) and young players that were asking for monster contract extensions (Deng or Gordon). I think there is a lot of revionist history going on from both sides of this argument, a little bit of hating, and a lot of jealousy. Bottom line is that if Paxson wasn't such a conservative GM, then Pau Gasol would be a Bull. In fact, he has had multiple opportunities to turn all of his "young talent" into something better but has always been hesitant to pull the trigger.

Vince Carter & Richard Jefferson were both one sided trades as well, but I am willing to admit that the Gasol trade was much more lopsided than both of those deals. Just look at the results.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#88 » by LApwnd » Fri Dec 4, 2009 8:58 pm

those other GM's sound like the whinners here, "oh we could've done better," yea you could but thats AFTER you saw what Lakers offered. Chi deal WAS NOT better, they were trying to UNLOAD a big contract onto Mem which wans't going to fly.
Tekkenlaw
Starter
And1: 39

Post#89 » by Tekkenlaw » Fri Dec 4, 2009 9:12 pm

Puertorique wrote:The Bulls offered HInirch or Gordon and Deng or Knicks Pick plus Capspace for Gasol. The Grizzlies wanted Hinrich, Gordon, Deng and pick for Gasol.

IF I was the Bulls I would have turned that deal down also. Seein as Kwame Brown was the big part of the trade.
Maybe the Lakers package was superior from the Grizzzlies perspective? Hinrich, Gordon, and Deng are all overpaid, and that core never got the Bulls anywhere.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#90 » by MitchellUK » Fri Dec 4, 2009 9:53 pm

crazytown wrote:
MitchellUK wrote:
crazytown wrote:The difference is none of the GMs even knew Pau was available. Hence the reason the trade came out of nowhere when it was announced.

The fact that you're comparing the 2 just shows how underrated Gasol really is. He's easily one of the 5 best big men out there. Maybe even top 3

Lol, wut?

There were stories for weeks, even months before the trade of Gasol being on the block and various teams making offers. If media sources can get hold of such info, you can sure bet all the GMs knew.

Wow. You must have a short term memory. They were plenty of Gms that were furious after the trade was made. Did you forget Popovich's comments after the trade?

He's really off on a couple (particularly the Clippers), but check it out...

"Merry Christmas, L.A."

That sentiment, voiced by Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson upon hearing about the Pau Gasol trade, has been resonating around the NBA.

While just about everyone expected the Memphis Grizzlies to trade Gasol before the Feb. 21 trade deadline, no one predicted it would be this soon or for so little in return. Instead of established players, the Los Angeles Lakers gave the Grizzlies only a package of expiring contracts, draft picks and marginal prospects for Gasol.

While most GMs weren't publicly venting their frustration on having missed out on Gasol, plenty were willing to do so privately.

The excuses ranged from blaming Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace to blaming their owners to … well … pointing the finger in just about every direction but their own.

One GM I spoke to asserted he had a better deal to offer, claiming that Wallace didn't return his calls.

Another said that just two weeks ago, Wallace was asking for twice as much in return. If this GM had known the Grizzlies were lowering the asking price on Gasol, he would've made another offer, he said.

A Western Conference GM said the Grizzlies' timing threw him off: "Big trades like this normally don't happen until after the All-Star break. Who would've guessed that the Grizzlies would've jumped the gun and taken such a lopsided deal three weeks before the trade deadline?"

Another prominent GM said his owner vetoed any trade that would've pushed his team into luxury-tax territory.

Sour grapes, anyone?

From the sob stories, two themes emerged:

One, a lot of GMs are more than a little jealous that the Lakers, of all teams, landed Gasol -- especially given the price tag.

Second, it sounds like the Grizzlies didn't walk away with the best deal available.

Given that, we have to ask: Which other teams could have landed Gasol, and what could they have offered?

As a starting point, let's look at the basic parameters of the deal the Grizzlies accepted:

• About $11 million in expiring contracts (Kwame Brown and Aaron McKie)
• A prospect drafted in the middle of the first round in 2007 (Javaris Crittenton)
• A second-round pick from the same draft (Marc Gasol)
• Two first-round picks, likely to be in the No. 20 to 30 range (2008 and 2010)

Which teams could have matched or exceeded that deal? As it turns out, plenty of teams could have.

Lol. My memory is fine. Read your own post. You said they didn't know Pau was available.

All of those GMs sure as hell knew Gasol was available. One was blanked by Wallace, one said Wallace dropped the asking price dramatically out of nowhere, one was waiting til closer to the deadline and one had his trade suggestion vetoed by his owner. None of them said "I didn't even know he was on the block".

:roll:
crazytown
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#91 » by crazytown » Fri Dec 4, 2009 10:34 pm

MitchellUK wrote:All of those GMs sure as hell knew Gasol was available. One was blanked by Wallace, one said Wallace dropped the asking price dramatically out of nowhere, one was waiting til closer to the deadline and one had his trade suggestion vetoed by his owner. None of them said "I didn't even know he was on the block".

:roll:

Sorry about that. Should've put "at the time" at the end of that. Most GMs expected the griz to wait until the deadline which was why so many people were surprised at the deal the moment it happened.

You can roll your eyes all you want but EVERYONE was blown away at how little the Lakers gave up the second the deal was announced.

Doesn't that tell you that teams were surprised the deal went through? Were the Lakers even in the discussion before the trade? It really came out of left field.
hourockman
Banned User

Post#92 » by hourockman » Fri Dec 4, 2009 11:32 pm

mattyBoi wrote:I give the Lakers credit for everything else though, keeping Kobe, signing Lamar, bringing Fisher back, most of all drafting Bynum and sticking with him, the Ariza trade that came back to bite us in the ass...But the Gasol trade, I don't buy it and I don't think they win the ship without him.

Newsflash, the Lakers have duped other teams out of Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Kobe, and got unprotected picks that ended up 1st overall (Magic and Worthy). Those picks came from the Jazz and Cavs, who couldn't afford draft picks at the time and were giving them away like candy. Utah had to sell Nique to ATL in 82 for a million bucks, aamof.

There's no boogeyman pulling these strings. The Lakers have had solid-to-great ownership and GMing for decades (and an attractive, warm weather locale). Small market teams with money woes that can't hold their own FAs and can't afford quality minds in the front office are part of SPORTS, not just NBA. Think of Gasol next time you hear the name Vancouver Grizzlies. They should never have existed, couldn't even last 10 years in their original city. They were set up for failure from Day 1.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#93 » by LApwnd » Fri Dec 4, 2009 11:48 pm

hourockman wrote:
mattyBoi wrote:I give the Lakers credit for everything else though, keeping Kobe, signing Lamar, bringing Fisher back, most of all drafting Bynum and sticking with him, the Ariza trade that came back to bite us in the ass...But the Gasol trade, I don't buy it and I don't think they win the ship without him.

Newsflash, the Lakers have duped other teams out of Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Kobe, and got unprotected picks that ended up 1st overall (Magic and Worthy). Those picks came from the Jazz and Cavs, who couldn't afford draft picks at the time and were giving them away like candy. Utah had to sell Nique to ATL in 82 for a million bucks, aamof.

There's no boogeyman pulling these strings. The Lakers have had solid-to-great ownership and GMing for decades (and an attractive, warm weather locale). Small market teams with money woes that can't hold their own FAs and can't afford quality minds in the front office are part of SPORTS, not just NBA. Think of Gasol next time you hear the name Vancouver Grizzlies. They should never have existed, couldn't even last 10 years in their original city. They were set up for failure from Day 1.

Next thing you know Howard will in purple and gold too when you least expect it! :lol:
hourockman
Banned User

Post#94 » by hourockman » Fri Dec 4, 2009 11:51 pm

LApwnd wrote:
hourockman wrote:

Next thing you know Howard will in purple and gold too when you least expect it! :lol:

And all those who were indifferent towards him will instantly hate him.
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#95 » by LakerFanMan » Sat Dec 5, 2009 12:33 am

Sting3r wrote:^ dont even bother beating this issue ma4n.

People love to think they know whats going behind doors and what offers were available. Like you said if their was a better offer, why the hell wouldn't they take it? But of course if no one can provide any any proof of these "better" offers they do the next brain-dead thing and point straight to conspiracy, typical.

You're right, I really shouldn't comment on this stuff. It's just such blind hate, or maybe jealousy, I'm not sure anymore.

OmG ConSpIRaCy!!!!!!!!!!!

It just gets to me.

Return to The General Board