Kobe Play-Off Player of the Decade

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Re: Kobe Play-Off Player of the Decade 

Post#261 » by Tee212 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:28 pm

Ducan or hell ANYONE will be the GOAT if he can take team consist of kwame/smush/cook/atkins to the playoffs.
Day in the Life
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#262 » by Day in the Life » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:37 pm

NYK 455 wrote:I realize that this is a decade award, but the fact of the matter is Shaq and Duncan accomplished more from 2000-2007 than Kobe did for the decade. I'm not trying to take anything away from Kobe's accolades or stats, I was just stating that for most of his success he was not the man on his team. You can't be player of the decade when for most of your success you weren't even the best player on your team. Shaq and Duncan have more accolades, and were just flat out better. That's not to take away from Kobe, he is third, but a somewhat distant third.

Kobe's ppg average was very similar or almost to Shaq's ppg production throughout the regular season and playoffs. In many cases, Kobe closed out the game for him. I wouldn't necessarily say he was the second option...he was basically option 1B while Shaq, more so in is prime, was 1A. To be fair, Shaq and Duncan have had more CONSISTENT help than Kobe has throughout this decade. 04-05 was a major adjustment period with a completely new team coming together under a new coach who eventually quit on them. 05-06, Kobe had the likes of Smush Parker, Kwame Brown starting in his lineup...bench? What bench? In 06-07, more of the same with Kobe having to carry his team again with a multitude of 50+ point consecutive games. Even in 07-08, his team was still mediocre...Gasol was the piece they were missing.

Shaq has played with talent throughout his whole career...Penny, Kobe, Wade, Nash, and now LeBron. Duncan has also played with consistent talent with the likes of Robinson, Ginobli, Parker, and now Jefferson. You can't really say the same for Kobe this decade.
Rust In Peace
Junior
And1: 65

Post#263 » by Rust In Peace » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:58 pm

How the hell is Kobe ahead of Duncan? Duncan won a 'ship with a group of role players in 2003. Hakeem's about the only other player in the past two decades that can make that claim. Kobe piggybacked a prime, top-10 HOFer to three rings and couldn't win another until he was gifted an all-star big man for nothing. Hell, Gasol's better than anyone Duncan's played with since 2000(Robinson's last great year).
wreck
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#264 » by wreck » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:04 am

Blame Rasho wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:I find it funny at the length insecure kobe fanboys and haters will go thru to try and one up each other...

Yup... Thursday... and I am still laughing...

The funniest part IMO is Bryant fans that make stuff up to try to prove a point. They're almost as bad as the revisionist historians, like the post you see above mine from DITL.
Day in the Life
Analyst

Post#265 » by Day in the Life » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:04 am

Rust In Peace wrote:How the hell is Kobe ahead of Duncan? Duncan won a 'ship with a group of role players in 2003. Hakeem's about the only other player in the past two decades that can make that claim. Kobe piggybacked a prime, top-10 HOFer to three rings and couldn't win another until he was gifted an all-star big man for nothing. Hell, Gasol's better than anyone Duncan's played with since 2000(Robinson's last great year).

Lol, biased much? Shaq would have never won those 3 rings without Kobe, Fisher, Horry, Glen Rice, Rick Fox, etc. Celtics in 2008 completely shut down the Lakers from a defensive standpoint and were actually better equipped offensively with the likes of Posey, Allen, KG, and Pierce. Not to mention, their bench was much more solid. When you actually reflect on the trade NOW...it's not so bad with the cap space, first round picks, Marc Gasol, etc. You can only blame the Grizzlies for getting the likes of Randolph to compensate.

Please, 2003 Duncan played with ROLE players only? What were you watching. Even in 2003, Kobe carried the Lakers when Shaq was injured. 2003 was arguably one of Kobe's best years offensively and defensively.
Day in the Life
Analyst

Post#266 » by Day in the Life » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:06 am

wreck wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:I find it funny at the length insecure kobe fanboys and haters will go thru to try and one up each other...

Yup... Thursday... and I am still laughing...

The funniest part IMO is Bryant fans that make stuff up to try to prove a point. They're almost as bad as the revisionist historians, like the post you see above mine from DITL.

Stating facts is making things up? Really? Can you really come up with anything to argue against my points? Are you saying that Kobe has played with consistent talent this whole decade?
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#267 » by Jimmy Recard » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:06 am

Rust In Peace wrote:How the hell is Kobe ahead of Duncan?

He's not, i think Kobe fans are the only ones arguing it..
Day in the Life
Analyst

Post#268 » by Day in the Life » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:15 am

Mosca wrote:
Rust In Peace wrote:How the hell is Kobe ahead of Duncan?

He's not, i think Kobe fans are the only ones arguing it..

Where did I state that Duncan was below Kobe? Haters are so blinded by their bias that they don't even read the arguments. My point is that Kobe has played with less consistent talent this decade compared to Shaq and Duncan and this might influence the outcomes of "accolades, achievements, etc." which people are complaining about. You can't argue the fact that if Kobe had more help during the periods where he scored 81, or scored 62 points in 3 quarters or scored 50+ points in consecutive manners that he would have had better success in the post season.
nolunch
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#269 » by nolunch » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:05 am

Ball Boy wrote:
tha_rock220 wrote:It has to be Duncan. Kobe's failure to make the playoffs in 05, two first round exits, and his clear cut 2nd option status early in the decade kind of make it hard for him to be above Duncan or even Shaq.

You cant be serious.. Shaq didnt make the playoffs last year.. before that he had 2 first round exits including being swept.. And he was Wade's 2nd option in 05 and 06. Thats half the decade right there.

1st half of the decade: Shaq is the best Play-Off Player.
2nd half of the decade: Kobe ?

05 Lottery
06 Lost in 1st round
07 Lost in 1st round
08 Lost in NBA finals
09 Champion

Return to The General Board