Is Monta Ellis an all star?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

timlin500
Starter
And1: 124

Re: Is Monta Ellis an all star? 

Post#81 » by timlin500 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:35 pm

On paper do the Kings really have that much more talent than the Warriors?

Warriors do have some talent, but they have SOOOO many injuries. Brandan Wright is injured for the whole season. So is Azubuike and Raja Bell. Turiaf and Biedrins have also been injured almost all season. Mikii Moore just got injured too. So Warriors have NO big man right now. They have no freaking center right now. It's hard to win games without one. Our only big man right now are Vlad and Chris Hunter...
The_Believer
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#82 » by The_Believer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:35 pm

How long does it take people to realize that if the Warriors had a good low-post option (which would make Monta's assist numbers skyrocket) instead of Maggette (more TOs than assists in career), Moore (wouldn't sniff a start elsewhere), Vlad Rad (jump shooting big man), and a bunch of injured players, the Warriors would at least be in the playoff discussion?
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,153

Post#83 » by Edrees » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:50 am

If you add a new option to any of the lottery teams in the western conference they would be in the playoff discussion. I fail to see how this is unique to the warriors. the only exception is probably minnesota
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
And1: 545

Post#84 » by CB-Blazer » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:43 am

northoakland510 wrote:
CB-Blazer wrote:
turk3d wrote:Because Ellis has no one else on the team to turn to

1) He takes more shots

2) he has no one to take the offensive pressure off of him like Roy does

3) He plays more minutes and has more responsibility, not just offensively.

4) Defensively has been guarding SFs (due in part to Nelson's ridiculous 3 guard offense) and has been doing a very good job at it.

More minutes translates into being more tired in the 4th quarter. More shots translates into more energy expended. And being the only viable scorer on this team (up until recently now that Maggette's come around) requires him to expend more energy both offensively and efensively, thus resulting in a lower shooting % than he'd normally have which at almost 46% is not too bad considering all the circumstances.

There's no way that Monta's going to start, but he should be brought in as by the coaches if he continues to play at the level he has. His defense maybe the most impressive having done very good jobs against Roy, Kobe, Iggy, Tony Parker and Durant which for a guy his size is outstanding.

You can't say because his team is so terrible that it should keep him out of the game. If he had a better team, his numbers would be way better. All that considering how easy it must be to game plan for the Warriors. Put 3 guys on Monta every play (which is what the Spurs did) and you're guaranteed a win. Yet he still gives the effort and gets his numbers.

He shouldn't be brought in. He doesn't lead his teams to wins, plain and simple.

As to exetended minutes? Roy has been playing 40+ minutes a night since Oden has gone down and Roy has only gotten better, he has picked up the slack created by the plethora of injuries Portland has suffered and willed his team to wins. Monta Ellis simply doesn't do that. I don't buy that arguement. There is bunch of all-star players that play as many minutes as Monta Ellis and don't have 515 TS%, which is HORRIBLE for a first option, regardless of how crappy your teammates are.

I'm not denying the fact that Monta Ellis is an All-Star caliber player, because he is but the west is simply too packed with better guards to get in.

Paul and Kobe are locks and there is no way in hell he deserves to be in over Deron, Roy, or Nash. All players, with better stats on much better teams.

Maybe GS should trade him to the East, where Calderons, Nelsons and Mo Williams can get into an AS game, so all you GSW fans can finally be correct.

The Warriors have been playing with 7 healthy players for the last few months, lets see what Roy does with Oden and Pryzbilla both being down.

Do you not pay attention to anything? Portland has had just as bad of injury problems as GSW.

And I'd say that Roy has them off to a pretty good start. They beat DAL on the road last night without Oden and Pryz playing 3 minutes.

The last 10 games, which Oden, Fernandez, Outlaw, Pendergraph, Mills and one with Aldridge missing, Roy has the Blazers at 6-4.

7 of the games have been on the road. Of the 4 losses, 3 were against play-off teams on the road and two were against Orlando and Cleveland.

They have beat PHX, HOU, DAL and MIA in that 10 game span.

Roy has averaged 26.6 ppg/ 5.2 apg/ 5.1 rpg/ 1.7 spg in that 10 game span, on his normal efficiency.

I'd say that he is doing pretty damn good handling their injuries and stepping up and willing teams to wins. He has shot 36/72 in the 4th Q in those 10 games.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#85 » by Too Late Crew » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:59 am

Ths discussion iIS Ellis an All Star. Not in theoretical makebelive world could he be an all star. Fact his he is putting up stats on a crap team. thiose guys don't make all star teams. Look at Durnat last year. Ellis will not make the AS team this year.

If ellis cut his turnovers in half and shot 52% he still isn't making the All Star team.
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#86 » by Agenda42 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:59 am

Ellis is good, but the West is absolutely loaded at guard. I don't think he has much chance to get in.

Look at the list of PGs in the west: Paul, Nash, Deron, Parker, Billups. One or two of those guys won't get in, either.
The_Believer
Pro Prospect

Post#87 » by The_Believer » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:10 am

Edrees wrote:If you add a new option to any of the lottery teams in the western conference they would be in the playoff discussion. I fail to see how this is unique to the warriors. the only exception is probably minnesota

How many of those teams have "options" that wouldn't play much elsewhere and have had 7 players for the past month on top of having a management that's allergic to big men?
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#88 » by turk3d » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:46 am

Outscored Paul 35-20 in today's game. He's racking em up in terms of games he's played against his competitors. Not sure if he and Paul went head to head since I didn't see the game just checked the boxscore. You guys can say all you want about all the reasons he shouldn't be an all star but the guys he's going up against know better.

So far, he's held his own with Granger, Roy, Kobe, Durant, Parker and now Paul (it looks like). And when I say held his own, that means at least played them even if not exceeded what they did in the game while playing them straight up defensively. If he keeps "doing what he do" some of you guys might be singing a different tune by the time it's all over with. Like it or not, Ellis is having an all star season so far and that's a fact.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
CB-Blazer
Head Coach

Post#89 » by CB-Blazer » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:54 am

turk3d wrote:Outscored Paul 35-20 in today's game. He's racking em up in terms of games he's played against his competitors. Not sure if he and Paul went head to head since I didn't see the game just checked the boxscore. You guys can say all you want about all the reasons he shouldn't be an all star but the guys he's going up against know better.

So far, he's held his own with Granger, Roy, Kobe, Durant, Parker and now Paul (it looks like). And when I say held his own, that means at least played them even if not exceeded what they did in the game while playing them straight up defensively. If he keeps "doing what he do" some of you guys might be singing a different tune by the time it's all over with. Like it or not, Ellis is having an all star season so far and that's a fact.

Well, sure he is having an all-star caliber season but it doesn't mean he is going to be an All-Star and this happens all the time. You should know this, especially being a GSW and what happened to Baron Davis. Then you have Deron Williams who is the 2nd best PG in the league and has yet to play in an AS Game.

Like I said, the west is just too packed with better guards, having better seasons statistically and recordwise for Monta to make it into the All-Star game. ****, even Tyreke Evans and his hypetrain could potentially be voted in before Monta Ellis.

If one of Roy, Deron, Nash, Paul, Kobe, get hurt, Monta would probably the the first alternate.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#90 » by turk3d » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:05 am

CB-Blazer wrote:
turk3d wrote:Outscored Paul 35-20 in today's game. He's racking em up in terms of games he's played against his competitors. Not sure if he and Paul went head to head since I didn't see the game just checked the boxscore. You guys can say all you want about all the reasons he shouldn't be an all star but the guys he's going up against know better.

Well, sure he is having an all-star caliber season but it doesn't mean he is going to be an All-Star and this happens all the time. You should know this, especially being a GSW and what happened to Baron Davis. Then you have Deron Williams who is the 2nd best PG in the league and has yet to play in an AS Game.

Like I said, the west is just too packed with better guards, having better seasons statistically and recordwise for Monta to make it into the All-Star game. ****, even Tyreke Evans and his hypetrain could potentially be voted in before Monta Ellis.

If one of Roy, Deron, Nash, Paul, Kobe, get hurt, Monta would probably the the first alternate.

There is a good chance someone will get hurt (heck he could get hurt and then it'lol be over). But you never know. All he can do is to keep performing the way he has thus far and I'm sure the rest will take care of itself. There's a different selection format which can also factor into the end result. We just don't know. Tyreke is a possibility but with him being a rookie, I think that goes against him a little but we'll see. Obviously we all want our hometown favorites to get the nod and certainly all of them are deserving. Someone is always getting screwed when it comes to all stars. Warriors fans seem to feel like it's their turn to get a break maybe and Monta's doing all he can to make that possible. That's pretty much it.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
blzrfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#91 » by blzrfan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:57 am

Ellis has no chance of being an all-star if his team has a miserable losing record. They are 7-21 currently. If Durant couldn't make it last year, there is absolutely no way Ellis can make it as a guard on the West team.
wjun15
Rookie
And1: 407

Post#92 » by wjun15 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:07 am

i think u guys need to chill

i do admit roy wouldnt be as good in warriors cuz he plays better slow tempo
monta plays better fast tempo

we can conclude that both of yall are underestimating the other players' games.

but watching roy play i cant imagine him not being an all star. once 4th quarter starts this guy is just on that kobe/wade/bron level. (except that warriors game and other times he played sf for the first 10-15 games)
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,702

Post#93 » by Viper1500 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:13 am

In the East
CB-Blazer
Head Coach

Post#94 » by CB-Blazer » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:16 am

turk3d wrote:
CB-Blazer wrote:

There is a good chance someone will get hurt (heck he could get hurt and then it'lol be over). But you never know. All he can do is to keep performing the way he has thus far and I'm sure the rest will take care of itself. There's a different selection format which can also factor into the end result. We just don't know. Tyreke is a possibility but with him being a rookie, I think that goes against him a little but we'll see. Obviously we all want our hometown favorites to get the nod and certainly all of them are deserving. Someone is always getting screwed when it comes to all stars. Warriors fans seem to feel like it's their turn to get a break maybe and Monta's doing all he can to make that possible. That's pretty much it.

I completely understand what your are saying. I am in no way trying to take anything from Monta, I've actually been probably the only Blazer on the T&T boards (haven't been on them this season) that were agreeing/prosoping trades for Monta.

I think he is a very good player, who is simply trying to do too much. I'd honestly be more impressed if he passed a bit more and turned the ball over a bit less as opposed to always looking to score.

I've just said this in another thread but it's a shame that there is not interconference teams. It's a shame that players like Monta and Deron are staying home because they happen to suit up for a team in the west, while Mo/Jameer etc get in from being a superstars sidekick and being in a weaker conference position wise.

Either way, be proud of Monta. All-Star games mean next to nothing, especially with they way they are decided upon now.
TAI8
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#95 » by TAI8 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:52 am

Too Late Crew wrote:Ths discussion iIS Ellis an All Star. Not in theoretical makebelive world could he be an all star. Fact his he is putting up stats on a crap team. thiose guys don't make all star teams. Look at Durnat last year. Ellis will not make the AS team this year.

If ellis cut his turnovers in half and shot 52% he still isn't making the All Star team.

I'm pretty sure Granger and Harris defied the odds so there goes your theory flying out of the window...
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#96 » by old rem » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:02 am

Ellis rates it, not because his scoring is up 5 pt but because his D has also been quite good, especially against top players,he's become a leader, his rebounding,passing, steals havre been great. With half the team injured,GSW has had a tough time getting any consistancy.
It's not Monta's fault but will count against him in the All star choice. Often there's a lag of a year. A guy earns it one year,and a year later he makes it. Other times a guy is an All Star for a good past,even if he's gone downhill. The last few games GSW played against an All Star, Ellis stole the show. For now, that's not enough. If next year, everyone's healthy and the team is winning, he'd make all star.
CENSORED... No comment.
AKBlazerFan
Sixth Man
And1: 185

Post#97 » by AKBlazerFan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:18 am

If Ellis makes it so should Z. Randolph...
Yangsing
Assistant Coach

Post#98 » by Yangsing » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:56 am

No. Plain and simple. Putting up good numbers on a **** team generally doesn't get you in. Plus the West is loaded with good guards to begin with.
jrich88
Banned User

Post#99 » by jrich88 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:13 am

AKBlazerFan wrote:If Ellis makes it so should Z. Randolph...

yeah over Duncan, Gasol and Dirk :lol: :lol: :lol:
EtchenBa
Starter
And1: 573

Post#100 » by EtchenBa » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:21 pm

jrich88 wrote:
AKBlazerFan wrote:If Ellis makes it so should Z. Randolph...

yeah over Duncan, Gasol and Dirk :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's so funny? Ellis compares to Kobe, Paul, Nash, Roy, Williams in the same way Z-bo relates to Duncan, Gasol, and Dirk. You laugh, but the situations are very similar

Return to The General Board