Singing in the Locker Room......

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Re: Singing in the Locker Room...... 

Post#21 » by Guy986 » Wed Dec 9, 2009 6:44 am

Black athlete using the N word?

STOP THE PRESS!!!
Ju Mad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Ju Mad » Wed Dec 9, 2009 6:54 am

No ceilings **** good morning,
dick in your mouth while you yawning,
Im goin in,
Gudda why they started me,
Marley why they started me,
I’ll bring you to the front door like you ordered me,
back on my bitch but a lot more rich,
on my poppa bear ****, need hot porridge,
gotta a lot more **** than you could ever fathom,
a big head **** couldn’t even imagine,
the **** I do, most doer’s never done,
I’ma **** this beat, your bitch who you better come,
better run this **** never run this ****,
I still beat your ass like a **** drumstick,
Weezy **** baby baby make the ladies come quick,
the money can’t fit in my pockets but I bet that gun fit,
and I’m so unfit cos all I eat is rappers,
and these rappers aint **** I like my fast food faster,
surp’ got me slow like a turtle round this hoe,
and Im flyer than the highest flying bird around this hoe,
just a word around this hoe, you get served around this hoe,
yeah you can serve like a **** hordurve around this hoe,
I don’t slurge around a hoe, no I don’t shine in front no bitch,
cos after she get off my dick I be like find the front door bitch,
i dont know why the **** your bitch keep coming by and I **** your bitch 100 times what the **** your bitch got on her mind, a **** d-ck,
I call her dick head, spicy like a big red, stripey like a big head
your flow sick, my **** did, sillier than …soulja boy and arab,
you should see my eleven year old daughter do they dance,
I call it the nay nay dance proud to be nay nay’s dad,
gun on the waistline, leave you in the wasteland,
we are not the same, I am a martian, this is space jam,
no ceilings R-I-P a man, **** cave man
beating on my chest Young Money Cash Money,

and Im eating all the rest no offence,
sorry if your offended,
riding high like Im on 54 inches,
man Id rather chill with 54 bitches,
she she look like, she look like eskimo,
lets get mo, lets get mo bitches
and I be like lets get mo bitches,
Mr officer stop arresting yo bitches,
stop lettin these messy hoes mess with yo business,
mickey mouse cheese, hip hop Walt Disney,
shesh gosh ash kash we gash smoking on that Bob Marley,
listening to Pete Tosh,
I do me, no I do three,
at a T-I-M-E,
why when we, say we young mula,
the bitches leave ya’ll and relay run to us,
and payday comes sooner than later round here,
you see my sharks like I got some bait around here,
hey you better stop the hate around there,
before tommy mack and nina debate around there,
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,653

Post#23 » by dockingsched » Wed Dec 9, 2009 7:02 am

SmoothKing32 wrote:The first time I've heard of anyone getting mad at an athlete for listening to music in his own locker room..

NBA Analyst+ wrote:Wow. This article was a waste of my time. I really don't give a **** what Lebron listens to before a game.

the author didn't have a problem with what lebron was listening to, he had a problem with the vulgar words coming out of lebron's mouth.

anyway, the author makes way too many references to the "white" media members that he shared the locker room with.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
p3scador
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#24 » by p3scador » Wed Dec 9, 2009 7:03 am

The Skyhook wrote:WHat song did he sing. Thats what I wanna know

Well, the author did state that the lyrics were littered with the n-word and "witches"... that should give us a clue and narrow it down to about...
MrSimCity
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#25 » by MrSimCity » Wed Dec 9, 2009 7:13 am

dcash4 wrote:
anyway, the author makes way too many references to the "white" media members that he shared the locker room with.

Yeah, felt like some sort of complex on his part - surprised MSNBC's editor allowed this to be posted
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#26 » by Optms » Wed Dec 9, 2009 7:28 am

BLKOUT wrote:
dflash3 wrote:As I was reading this I kept thinking STFU you bitch.

Same here and I don't even like LeBron :-? what a stupid thing to complain about.

I agree. I don't know why, but I'd enjoy seeing the author of the article being slapped with a microphone.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#27 » by TheOGJabroni » Wed Dec 9, 2009 3:38 pm

rayofsunshine wrote:Can you imagine the pressure on this kid? He has to be everything to everyone. INSANE! So he's not Carlton Banks, sue him.

:lol:
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#28 » by NYKnick87 » Wed Dec 9, 2009 3:49 pm

He was singing Hit 'em Up
SherronShabazz
Assistant Coach
And1: 127

Post#29 » by SherronShabazz » Wed Dec 9, 2009 4:35 pm

normally i would be upset by this kind of article but... i witnessed something similar last night.

i was in the nets locker room at the united center. i watched keyon dooling and chris douglas-roberts throw around the n word like it was acceptable. this aint a rap song. they were just a-holes all around. the n word wasnt the only bad word that was said.

women were in the locker room.. it's just classless. they also were reciting vulgar rap lyrics.

i didn't see devin harris, rafer alston, or brook lopez doing this.. but dooling and cdr.. douchery.
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#30 » by BubbaTee » Wed Dec 9, 2009 5:55 pm

SherronShabazz wrote:normally i would be upset by this kind of article but... i witnessed something similar last night.

i was in the nets locker room at the united center. i watched keyon dooling and chris douglas-roberts throw around the n word like it was acceptable. this aint a rap song. they were just a-holes all around. the n word wasnt the only bad word that was said.

women were in the locker room.. it's just classless. they also were reciting vulgar rap lyrics.

i didn't see devin harris, rafer alston, or brook lopez doing this.. but dooling and cdr.. douchery.

Words can be both insults and terms of affection, it depends on how they're used.

If I meet a friend I might say, "Hey what's up, a**hole?" in a joking manner. Because my friend knows me, he knows that I don't really think he's an a-hole, and am not trying to insult him.

Now if I'm walking down the street and bump shoulders with a stranger and yell, "Hey, what's up, a**hole?" at him, it would likely be taken as an insult and could lead to an escalating confrontation.

Exact same words, entirely different meaning.
8'sReverse
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: Southern California~ Watching the only LA NBA team, the Lakers!

Post#31 » by 8'sReverse » Wed Dec 9, 2009 7:12 pm

I'd call you guys idiots, but what good would that do?

First, the author is black. If you read the article there is a 'NBC Sports' journalist profile picture, with his name, after the 7th paragraph.

Second, it sounds worse than it is because he refers to the media group as predominantly 'white'...b ig deal, he's a journalist who notices his surroundings.

Third, not only does he notice that as Lebron is 'rapping' the 'white' media is getting uncomfortable, the whole point of the article is the fact that the AUTHOR HIMSELF (being black himself) is uncomfortable stating that Lebron's class cannot/should-not be something he could just turn on/off whenever he felt like it and that his (the author's) ideals were based on the 'old school'.

Fourth, as mentioned above the author didn't write that he had a problem with the music Lebron was listening to, he had a problem with Lebron spewing it out.
Charles Barkley wrote:"I've got TWO words for you... 'Chris Paul and Steve Nash, must see TV'!"
BubbaTee
Head Coach

Post#32 » by BubbaTee » Wed Dec 9, 2009 7:51 pm

8'sReverse wrote:First, the author is black. If you read the article there is a 'NBC Sports' journalist profile picture, with his name, after the 7th paragraph.

How does the author being black preclude him from being a whiny crybaby?

Further, how does the author being black preclude him from being anti-black? Funny how Lebron is black, yet the author has no problem labelling him a "minstrel." It's highly unlikely Hill meant that Lebron was a medieval storytelling bard.

The American definition of the minstrel was an entertainer who engaged in anti-black material which perpetuated racist stereotypes. To call someone a minstrel is to suggest they are anti-black. Lebron's status as a black man was no protection against Hill's accusation that Lebron was behaving in an anti-black manner. Likewise, Hill's status as a black man is no protection against accusations that Hill is acting in an anti-black manner.

Second, it sounds worse than it is because he refers to the media group as predominantly 'white'...b ig deal, he's a journalist who notices his surroundings.

It matters because there's some black people who view every action through the prism of "how will this make black people look to white people?"

If Hill was merely being observant, he wouldn't have had to mention the fact that the audience was white more than once. He does mention it more than once - he mentions it 5 or 6 times, showing that he believes it has some relevance to his point.

Third, not only does he notice that as Lebron is 'rapping' the 'white' media is getting uncomfortable, the whole point of the article is the fact that the AUTHOR HIMSELF (being black himself) is uncomfortable stating that Lebron's class cannot/should-not be something he could just turn on/off whenever he felt like it and that his (the author's) ideals were based on the 'old school'.

The author is angry that Lebron did not stop what he was doing, even though what Lebron was doing was making the white audience uncomfortable.

Justice Hill wrote:The King kept spewing these two impolitic words as the crowd of mostly white media grew ever more uneasy.

His ambivalence angered me.

If by "old school ideals" you mean that white people should never be made to feel uncomfortable, then yes - Lebron was very much violating those "ideals." What you have in this thread is people who don't necessarily don't agree with those "ideals", and therefore aren't too broken up about it when they aren't met or even pursued.

Fourth, as mentioned above the author didn't write that he had a problem with the music Lebron was listening to, he had a problem with Lebron spewing it out.

Hill clearly does have an issue with the music itself. Hill declared an entire sub-genre of music to be classless.

Justice Hill wrote:Just because rappers from Tupac to Young Jeezy have used this crass language (and worse) in their work doesn't give them class. But who expects to see class in hardcore rappers?
SherronShabazz
Assistant Coach
And1: 127

Post#33 » by SherronShabazz » Wed Dec 9, 2009 7:54 pm

BubbaTee wrote:
SherronShabazz wrote:normally i would be upset by this kind of article but... i witnessed something similar last night.

Words can be both insults and terms of affection, it depends on how they're used.

If I meet a friend I might say, "Hey what's up, a**hole?" in a joking manner. Because my friend knows me, he knows that I don't really think he's an a-hole, and am not trying to insult him.

Now if I'm walking down the street and bump shoulders with a stranger and yell, "Hey, what's up, a**hole?" at him, it would likely be taken as an insult and could lead to an escalating confrontation.

Exact same words, entirely different meaning.

they meant those words in a good manner. my issue is... it's not appropriate to do it at work. i call my co-worker a douche bag all the time.. JUST NOT AT WORK.
dflash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 157

Post#34 » by dflash3 » Wed Dec 9, 2009 8:01 pm

8'sReverse wrote:First, the author is black. If you read the article there is a 'NBC Sports' journalist profile picture, with his name, after the 7th paragraph.

Wow that is just a surprise. Since the writer sounded like such a whiny bitch I assumed he was a she.
truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#35 » by truth serum » Wed Dec 9, 2009 8:36 pm

That article sucked. F*ck that writer.

Trying to defame LeBron just to get some hits on his blog or whatever it is he's trying to promote. Talk about a lack of class. I have little to no respect for media heads, so I'll never take something like this seriously.
sarah42
Starter
And1: 2

Post#36 » by sarah42 » Wed Dec 9, 2009 10:22 pm

BubbaTee wrote:

Further, how does the author being black preclude him from being anti-black? Funny how Lebron is black, yet the author has no problem labelling him a "minstrel." It's highly unlikely Hill meant that Lebron was a medieval storytelling bard.

The American definition of the minstrel was an entertainer who engaged in anti-black material which perpetuated racist stereotypes. To call someone a minstrel is to suggest they are anti-black. Lebron's status as a black man was no protection against Hill's accusation that Lebron was behaving in an anti-black manner. Likewise, Hill's status as a black man is no protection against accusations that Hill is acting in an anti-black manner.

It matters because there's some black people who view every action through the prism of "how will this make black people look to white people?"

If Hill was merely being observant, he wouldn't have had to mention the fact that the audience was white more than once. He does mention it more than once - he mentions it 5 or 6 times, showing that he believes it has some relevance to his point.

The author is angry that Lebron did not stop what he was doing, even though what Lebron was doing was making the white audience uncomfortable.

Justice Hill wrote:The King kept spewing these two impolitic words as the crowd of mostly white media grew ever more uneasy.

If by "old school ideals" you mean that white people should never be made to feel uncomfortable, then yes - Lebron was very much violating those "ideals." What you have in this thread is people who don't necessarily don't agree with those "ideals", and therefore aren't too broken up about it when they aren't met or even pursued.

Hill clearly does have an issue with the music itself. Hill declared an entire sub-genre of music to be classless.

Justice Hill wrote:Just because rappers from Tupac to Young Jeezy have used this crass language (and worse) in their work doesn't give them class. But who expects to see class in hardcore rappers?

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

What a great response! One of the best I've seen on this website.

To add, how many times did that pompous reporter use the word "class" or "classless?"

To me what is classless is judging someone for the music he listens to, and how he or she expresses themselves when listening to that music. In that article, he basically debased an entire genre of music, implied that Lebron was racist, and he also kept referring to the white reporters, as if the only reason they were "uncomfortable" as he put it, was because of the profanity Lebron was singing along to. How does he know that for sure? A bunch of sports writers upset with the use of the B word? Like in that Weekend Update SNL sketch with Seth Myers, "Really? Really? Really!!?"

The B word - the same one used on prime time television that isn't even censored anymore? And are we still on the use of the N word? He's right, he is old school. No amount of preaching by him or Bill Cosby will get rid of the new use of the N word which is now a term of affection as well. If the reporter can't understand that Lebron wasn't using the N word to insult his own people, than who he's the true classless person? That argument about the N word has already shipped. Let's move on children! If we got off that, maybe we can focus on the education gap between white kids and black and latino kids.

You know, stuff that matters!

I'm sick of people jumping to the conclusion that people either have class or don't. If that was the case, every person you've had a heated argument with no longer has class, because we've all done things we aren't proud of.

Whether its Lebron, AI, Kobe or KG, we don't know these people. It's time people stopped sticking their noses up at them and calling them classless and and it's time to judge people who actually have a say in our finances and our environment - the world leaders!

"...vulgarity, no matter the place, should not be the language of a sophisticated man." That's a quote by the author, and then he questions Lebron's class? I wonder what finishing school he went to? Even Royals have been known to swear. It doesn't take away from their character when they do so. It humanizes us all really.
inmate347 wrote:
BTW, I still maintain that the 1984 Denver Broncos are Lebron's father
8'sReverse
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: Southern California~ Watching the only LA NBA team, the Lakers!

Post#37 » by 8'sReverse » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:39 am

Before I get into this more, I would like to thank you for your response, BubbaTee. One of the reasons I had stopped posting was due to all of the childish come-backs that had nothing to the topic. Great response.

Let me tell you that this article is the very first I've read of this author (at least as far as I know). So my opinion of him and his writing is only based on this article alone.
BubbaTee wrote:

True, it doesn't. But I never said he wasn't a "whiny crybaby". As a matter of fact, I will denounce him as one right now! That doesn't excuse his major points though.

My first point was in response to those inciting racist assumptions… thinking the author was white being an anti-black racist.

BubbaTee wrote:Further, how does the author being black preclude him from being anti-black?
You’re right, again, it doesn’t… but, it still doesn’t excuse any of his major points.

BubbaTee wrote: Funny how Lebron is black, yet the author has no problem labelling him a "minstrel." It's highly unlikely Hill meant that Lebron was a medieval storytelling bard.

I’m not quite sure of the history of the word. But it seems to me that the author is suggesting that Lebron is acting-out, in a matter not suited within that particular scenario. I’m sure, with this understanding of the word, he’s obviously concerned about perceptions, but, again, not his main point. Lebron, at this time, is rapping aloud, really with no regard to who is in the room (not black and white, but the media in general).

BubbaTee wrote:
8'sReverse wrote:Second, it sounds worse than it is because he refers to the media group as predominantly 'white'...big deal, he's a journalist who notices his surroundings.

Again, you’re right, some black people will think that. But, the same thing could be said in almost any and every other situation… “how will this make white people look to black people?” “how will this make asian people look to latino people?” “how will this make white people look to Middle Eastern people?” and so on and so on…

Perhaps he was making more than what was there, but he WAS in fact merely observant, in his own eyes, as a black journalist. I don’t see the big deal.

He mentioned the ‘white media’ 3 times; ONCE in the body, TWICE in the conclusion. He’s definitely reaching within the conclusion because he’s trying to explain the uncomfortable atmosphere Lebron created. There may or may not be a direct connection between his main point and why he mentions the ‘white media’, only because he’s sooooo adamant upon the fact that Lebron had no class in this particular situation.

BubbleTee wrote:
8'sReverse wrote:Third, not only does he notice that as Lebron is 'rapping' the 'white' media is getting uncomfortable, the whole point of the article is the fact that the AUTHOR HIMSELF (being black himself) is uncomfortable stating that Lebron's class cannot/should-not be something he could just turn on/off whenever he felt like it and that his (the author's) ideals were based on the 'old school'.

See, I’m not reaching for racism. By “old school ideals” I believe he meant that everyone, no matter who you are, should have a great awareness of your “moral compass” and should strive to have some ‘sophistication’.

I don’t agree that one has to bend their being into what a certain race thinks he/she should be. But, I’m inclined to believe that all people, of any race, has a sense of awareness to conduct themselves in a proper matter. Do I mean ‘tea and honey’ sh**? Hell no. I’m talking about being polite, humble, and having a realization on how to act in different situations.

Yes, he was angry that Lebron didn’t know when to stop. Again, that’s not his main point. I don’t understand why you believe “His ambivalence angered me” is the end all be all basis of his entire article. Maybe you can explain that to me.

BubbleTee wrote:
8'sReverse wrote:Fourth, as mentioned above the author didn't write that he had a problem with the music Lebron was listening to, he had a problem with Lebron spewing it out.

Again, you’re right. I missed that last sentence and I apologize.

But, why does him disliking rap make him anti-black? I do understand the meanings of words change as time progresses, but to many of the older generations are stuck in their ways with words… I don’t need to explain what the N-word, b****, etc. mean to them.

Think of it this way... forget about black and white for a second. His article was about a VERY short period of time within the locker room that had Lebron stretching while listening to music. Obviously, it was media-time; the media was in the room. What was Lebron doing? Rapping aloud, spewing out vulgar language, not responding to the media at all… or was him rapping his response? Whatever… but it was rude.

Ok, if you REALLY REALLY want to put the black and white back into it, do so now. The author was observant enough to realize it was a majority white media and he TRIED to explain the reason why they were uncomfortable. Writers do this... they draw from their own opinions and experiences even more than the original story permits to fill in the holes, to complete their work, and to add depth. Not a big deal to me.

To me this is the substance of his article.
Justice B. Hill wrote:I wish I could use the word "class" to describe any part of the King's five-minute rendition Wednesday night of a profane rap song. I don't know whose work the King sang; I do know he picked the wrong venue to perform it.
…. …. ….
Vulgarity should have no platform when the area is open to outsiders; vulgarity, no matter the place, should not be the language of a sophisticated man.

Class is a trait he grows into, and he learns to value what a reputation as "classy" means. He doesn't turn class on or off like a water faucet. Either he has class or he doesn't. King James, a man obsessed with image, comes up short on it.
Whether or not he meant it as a black man worrying about the white man’s reactions or not… why can’t he simply just be worried about how his fellow man is treating another?

I could write more here, but I think I’ve exhausted a post. So I’d love another response (from anyone, for that matter).

Thanks again BubbaTee.
Charles Barkley wrote:"I've got TWO words for you... 'Chris Paul and Steve Nash, must see TV'!"
BubbaTee
Head Coach

Post#38 » by BubbaTee » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:21 am

8'sReverse wrote:My first point was in response to those inciting racist assumptions… thinking the author was white being an anti-black racist.

BubbaTee wrote:Further, how does the author being black preclude him from being anti-black?

You’re right, again, it doesn’t… but, it still doesn’t excuse any of his major points.

BubbaTee wrote: Funny how Lebron is black, yet the author has no problem labelling him a "minstrel." It's highly unlikely Hill meant that Lebron was a medieval storytelling bard.

I’m not quite sure of the history of the word. But it seems to me that the author is suggesting that Lebron is acting-out, in a matter not suited within that particular scenario. I’m sure, with this understanding of the word, he’s obviously concerned about perceptions, but, again, not his main point. Lebron, at this time, is rapping aloud, really with no regard to who is in the room (not black and white, but the media in general).

If the author is upset that Lebron is being rude, then the words used to describe Lebron should be stuff like: rude, tactless, impolite, discourteous, etc. If one is really upset with a rude person they might use words like: jerk, douche, or a-hole. "Minstrel", however, should not be used. That word carries a very specific meaning which is tied to perpetuating anti-black stereotypes and making racism socially acceptable.

Consider when Dirk cut off his hair last year. An appropriate way to describe that would be to say "Dirk got a buzz cut", or "Dirk shaved his head." What wouldn't be appropriate would be to say "Dirk is a skinhead", because the word "skinhead" carries a very specific meaning related to advocating white supremacy, while "buzz cut" and "shaved head" do not. Thus if one were to describe Dirk as a "skinhead", it is an implied suggestion that Dirk is a white supremacist.

The fact that "minstrel" is used takes the article to another level, beyond that of an older person complaining about "kids these days curse too much." It now becomes about whether Lebron's actions, even if we accept that they are rude, are perpetuating anti-black stereotypes and making racism more socially acceptable.

Again, you’re right, some black people will think that. But, the same thing could be said in almost any and every other situation… “how will this make white people look to black people?” “how will this make asian people look to latino people?” “how will this make white people look to Middle Eastern people?” and so on and so on…

Perhaps he was making more than what was there, but he WAS in fact merely observant, in his own eyes, as a black journalist. I don’t see the big deal.

He mentioned the ‘white media’ 3 times; ONCE in the body, TWICE in the conclusion. He’s definitely reaching within the conclusion because he’s trying to explain the uncomfortable atmosphere Lebron created. There may or may not be a direct connection between his main point and why he mentions the ‘white media’, only because he’s sooooo adamant upon the fact that Lebron had no class in this particular situation.

Actually,

An hour before a game, a gathering of mostly white men nearby, he acted the rube.
I can't judge how every journalist in the locker room felt. Perhaps white men — and they were nearly all white men — have such low expectations of a black athlete like King James that whatever he does doesn't bother them.
And King James played the 6-foot-8 minstrel to the discomfort of a white audience.

That's 5 mentions of the fact that the audience was white. It's a stretch to believe Hill is merely being observant. Does he think the reader is so dumb that they will forget the audience is white every other paragraph? It's much more likely that it's being repeated for emphasis.

Conversely, the article also mentions Lebron is 6-8. However, it only mentions his height once. It does not consistently repeat that he is 6-8 over and over. The article also mentions he is a Cav, also once.

Now surely an audience that needs constant reminding of the observant fact that the audience was white would also require constant reminding that Lebron is tall and plays for Cleveland, no? Yet the height and team aspects are not repeated. I believe that's because they are not relevant to the point the author is trying to make, while the "white audience" aspect is.

As far as "how will this make black people look to white people", Lebron is a basketball player. He is not the representative or spokesperson for black people. To paraphrase MLK Jr, what Lebron does should not be viewed as a reflection of his skin color, but as a reflection of his character as an individual.

If Hill wants to think Lebron is rude, fine. It's not a new thought, many people said as much following the whole handshake incident at the end of the Cavs-Magic series. What I distinctly do not remember about the handshake story was any suggestion that Lebron's actions somehow reflected on black people as a whole. I don't remember any hue or outcry about "Lebron refused to shake hands in front of white people!", it was just "Lebron refused to shake hands."

8'sReverse wrote:See, I’m not reaching for racism. By “old school ideals” I believe he meant that everyone, no matter who you are, should have a great awareness of your “moral compass” and should strive to have some ‘sophistication’.

I don’t agree that one has to bend their being into what a certain race thinks he/she should be. But, I’m inclined to believe that all people, of any race, has a sense of awareness to conduct themselves in a proper matter. Do I mean ‘tea and honey’ sh**? Hell no. I’m talking about being polite, humble, and having a realization on how to act in different situations.

Yes, he was angry that Lebron didn’t know when to stop. Again, that’s not his main point. I don’t understand why you believe “His ambivalence angered me” is the end all be all basis of his entire article. Maybe you can explain that to me.

It's not just "His amblivalence angered me", it's "His ambivalence (as his white audience grew uneasy) angered me."

Again, my problem is not with calling Lebron rude. It's the constant injection of race into the situation by Hill, in an effort to portray Lebron's actions as somehow harmful to black people's image in the eyes of white people. Hence the constant reminders that the audience is white. Hence the use of the term "minstrel."

It's not reaching to make this article about race, the author repeatedly makes it clear that race is relevant to his point.

IF Hill's point is about rudeness, then any mention of race is entirely unnecessary. Rudeness is rudeness, whether the audience is white or black or whatever. Why can't it just be "Lebron is rude to reporters"? Why does it have to be "Lebron is rude to white reporters"?

Without that injection of race, I don't have nearly as much of a problem with the article. Without race, the article basically becomes an old guy shaking his fist at a young guy yelling "Turn down that noise! You call that music? Shave those sideburns, ya hippie!"

8'sReverse wrote:
BubbleTee wrote:
8'sReverse wrote:Fourth, as mentioned above the author didn't write that he had a problem with the music Lebron was listening to, he had a problem with Lebron spewing it out.

Again, you’re right. I missed that last sentence and I apologize.

But, why does him disliking rap make him anti-black? I do understand the meanings of words change as time progresses, but to many of the older generations are stuck in their ways with words… I don’t need to explain what the N-word, b****, etc. mean to them.

A person not liking rap doesn't mean they're anti-black. My point here was simply to point out that Hill does have a problem with the music itself, in addition to having a problem with Lebron singing along to it.
Rebel INS
Sixth Man
And1: 736

Post#39 » by Rebel INS » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:36 am

Bubbatee just said everything that has to be said

This writer is injecting racialized spin into a story which should have nothing to do with race. It was obvious the minute he mentioned "minstrel". There is absolutely no other context which that word can be taken in and if you deny that you're just being willfully ignorant.

Justice B. Hill, like Stanley Crouch, is an out of touch old man who is stuck in a pre-70's race relations mindset that's overly-conscious about how black culture is judged by white people.

Return to The General Board