Cursed Franchise: Golden State Warriors?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Re: Cursed Franchise: Golden State Warriors? 

Post#21 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:46 pm

The Maggette contract continues to crack me up. Was anyone else offering more than the MLE? It's like Maggette went "Ok give me a 50 mil contract or I'm signing the MLE somewhere else" and they're like damn... he's got us now!
KeithMoonsLiver
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by KeithMoonsLiver » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:52 pm

amb1ent wrote:showtime played d. "run and gun" doesn't.

just because teams like the suns can't play D, doesn't mean you can't have a fast offensive without playing D
showtime was the EPITOME of run and gun
LA Titletown
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#23 » by LA Titletown » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:26 am

Cursed? Any Cali team other than the LA Lakers. Cali is Laker Country.
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#24 » by Point forward » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:32 am

GSW has already won a perfectly legit NBA championship (in contrast to e.g. PHX, SAC, UTAH, DAL) and has not been sold like the Sonics.

So, no.
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#25 » by Baseline Runner » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:46 am

Point forward wrote:GSW has already won a perfectly legit NBA championship (in contrast to e.g. PHX, SAC, UTAH, DAL) and has not been sold like the Sonics.

So, no.

This is a typical statement from someone with a Bill Russel avatar. I'm sure current Golden State fans are consoled by their last 30 years of suckage because they won a title 35 years ago, that is if they were born or old enough to enjoy it. So take that Phoenix, Utah and Dallas fans! Your franchises that have strong and competitive teams year after year ain't got nothing on the Warriors because we got a title before I was born! Titles are the only thing that counts right?
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#26 » by Sothron » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:29 am

Baseline Runner wrote:
Point forward wrote:GSW has already won a perfectly legit NBA championship (in contrast to e.g. PHX, SAC, UTAH, DAL) and has not been sold like the Sonics.

So, no.

This is a typical statement from someone with a Bill Russel avatar. I'm sure current Golden State fans are consoled by their last 30 years of suckage because they won a title 35 years ago, that is if they were born or old enough to enjoy it. So take that Phoenix, Utah and Dallas fans! Your franchises that have strong and competitive teams year after year ain't got nothing on the Warriors because we got a title before I was born! Titles are the only thing that counts right?

This. The St. Louis Hawks won a title, do you think that matters to anyone today in Atlanta or for that matter St. Louis?
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#27 » by kingkirk » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:00 am

Not cursed at all, just plain old stupid.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#28 » by Jimmy76 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:04 am

Lakers run pretty fast nowadays
Clangus
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#29 » by Clangus » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:14 am

Nellie's styl of Run and Gun is vastly different to that of the past and present Lakers.

Nellie's style has never and will never win anything.
Vinsane15
Veteran
And1: 21

Post#30 » by Vinsane15 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:30 am

Don't forget drafting Todd Fuller in the GOAT draft in 96, Vince Carter for Jamison in 98, letting Arenas go.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#31 » by turk3d » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:06 am

Yeah they had what, 3 HOFers and a real HOF coach which included a top 5 point guard and top 5 Center (of all time).
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
amb1ent
Veteran
And1: 17

Post#32 » by amb1ent » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:37 am

turk3d wrote:

Yeah they had what, 3 HOFers and a real HOF coach which included a top 5 point guard and top 5 Center (of all time).

i suppose i should clarify - showtime ran and gunned, but "run and gun" in a modern context seems to refer to the we believe warriors and the nash suns

and nobody's gonna honestly claim they played defense.
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#33 » by Point forward » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:09 am

Baseline Runner wrote:

So, no.

"Cursed" != "incompetent management"

"Cursed" is when something outside of your control strikes you down. "Incompetent" is when you yourself make a mistake. Trading Joe Barry Carroll for Parish and McHale, drafting Fuller and Foyle over Nash or T-Mac and trading VC on draft day -- that is being stupid, not being cursed. I admit that Celtics have been blessed with GOAT management, and GSW has sucked very much.

"Cursed" is something like KG in Minny. He plays his heart out for a decade, but his front office acts illegally and costs his franchise two draft picks, and among others, his team mate gets killed (!!) and in the one year they got it all together, both PGs go down. THAT is cursed.

And yes, championships do count. Why not take pride in Rick Barry hammering Hayes/Unseld? It was the greatest upset of all time.
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#34 » by Dr Aki » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:14 am

showtime ran, but they also had kareem for the skyhook, and post-iso power from worthy, and magic to get them the ball.

they also played defense with the best.

Jimmy76 wrote:Lakers run pretty fast nowadays

they run, but the lakers dont run so fast they cant control the tempo. which is why they run against slow teams and grind on athletic ones

it simply takes most teams out of their rhythm

anyway, the most cursed team isnt GS, its the clips
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#35 » by turk3d » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:44 am

Point forward wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote:

So, no.

"Cursed" != "incompetent management"

"Cursed" is when something outside of your control strikes you down. "Incompetent" is when you yourself make a mistake. Trading Joe Barry Carroll for Parish and McHale, drafting Fuller and Foyle over Nash or T-Mac and trading VC on draft day -- that is being stupid, not being cursed. I admit that Celtics have been blessed with GOAT management, and GSW has sucked very much.

"Cursed" is something like KG in Minny. He plays his heart out for a decade, but his front office acts illegally and costs his franchise two draft picks, and among others, his team mate gets killed (!!) and in the one year they got it all together, both PGs go down. THAT is cursed.
And yes, championships do count. Why not take pride in Rick Barry hammering Hayes/Unseld? It was the greatest upset of all time.

That's about as worse a management move as was ever made (signing Joe Smith illegally and then getting caught). They could have controlled that by simply not doing it. You know what was worse? Picking Joe Smith as the #1 draft pick overall. That was more bad luck, since he wass pretty much the consnsus #1 that year and wound up just having a pretty mediocre career when McDyess (the #2 overall) went on to have a very good one for the most part. I agree pretty much with everything else in your post however.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice

Return to The General Board