Can the NBA surpass MLB this decade?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,076

Re: Can the NBA surpass MLB this decade? 

Post#21 » by sisibilio » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:36 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:According to Forbes.

Overall Operating Income (2008, Mil. )
NFL: 790
MLB: 501
NBA: 318
NHL: 141

The NBA has a long way to go before catching Baseball.

this what i was looking for....also, in terms of popularity and the nba has a steroid problem now?

League revenue differential is even bigger.
MLB - 6200 million $
NFL - 6000 million $
NBA - 3200 million $
NHL - 2400 million $

And in which city with more than 1 pro team is bbll the most popular? LA maybe?
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Bigdog1
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#22 » by Bigdog1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:44 pm

Operating income would put the Yankees at a lost of $3 million for 2009. League revenues puts the NFl and MLB almost dead even, the NBA's rev' is 1/2 of that of the MLB and NFl.

Current TV deals per year
NFl $3.1 billions This does not include NFL network and Radio fees.
NBA $1.1 billions from contract with TNT/ESPN, ABC, ESPN Radio, and NBA TV
MLB $800 millions from contract with ESPN/TBS/FOX

NBA regular season games on TNT/ABC/ESPN is more popular than MLB regulars season game on ESPN/FOX/TBS. A match up of Red Sox/Yankees would trounce and NBA game though. You also Have to remember that MLB is played through out the Summer when rating is alot less then fall/winter.

Baseball makes a killing of the on Internet with MLB live streaming. NBA mobile and live streaming isn't as popular nor profitable as MLB. MLB doesn't count money that is generated from TV through Networks that is own by teams. The Yankees and Redsox have their own baseball network where they pay a fee to MLB but keep all the profits. The Yankees' Yes network alone is worth $3 billion dollars. MLB TV is already worth $1billion and it only started last year. People really can't grasp how much money MLB makes. MLB is a cash cow. How many sport franchise in the world can dish out $500 million dollars in guaranteed contracts to 3 players in 2008? The Yankees did exactly that.

NBA positives over MLB
NBA ratings have been close to MLB. Last year NBA finals outdrew MLB World Series(phils/rays) for the first time I belive. More younger crowd follow the NBA then MLB. The NBA is more popular wordwide then the NFL and MLB. However, in regard to worldwide popularity doesn't equate to more money. For instance MLB get brocast fees of almost $300 milions from Japan alone per year. NBA makes penuts from Europe and China's fee rights.

It is quite concievable that with the current trend of younger demographic in the NBA favours will help the NBA catch or even surpass MLB in popularity, but it is very unlikely.

MLB also have a lot going for it too. MLB is alot more diversify than the NBA. There is a huge amount of Latinos and Asians in baseball. With the Latinos and Asians % of the US population increasing, so too would MLB's inroads with Latinos and Asians. Baseball fans are hard core. They might not be as young as the NBA's fan abse but they have alot more money. Baseballs fans are the only people who travel to spring training in places like Florida to see their teams practice.

The future is uncertain. Today the NFl is simply the popularity king, and the MLB is a cash cow.
Penn State .... Creepy Valley
Bigdog1
Sophomore

Post#23 » by Bigdog1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:54 pm

sisibilio wrote:
B-Ball Freak wrote:

this what i was looking for....also, in terms of popularity and the nba has a steroid problem now?

League revenue differential is even bigger.
MLB - 6200 million $
NFL - 6000 million $
NBA - 3200 million $
NHL - 2400 million $

And in which city with more than 1 pro team is bbll the most popular? LA maybe?

These revenues numbers doesn't even account for the amount of Money baseball truly rake in.

Cities with more than 1 major sports that is dominated by basketball?
Probably LA. But even here the Dodgers is worth more than the lakers and draw in more fans.

Cities with more than 1 sports Franchises.

Cities where Baseball is King
New York
Boston
St. Louis
Chicago- I know some Bears fan will disagree but Chicago have 2 baseball teams and the CUBS sellout every game even when losing.

Toss up between NLF and MLB
Philly
Seattle

Citie dominated by NFL
EVERY OTHER CITY,TOWN and Island in AMERICA :lol:
Storm Surge
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#24 » by Storm Surge » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:12 pm

NBA can surpass the MLB if more teams win the championship. LA winning back-to-back titles doesn't help the NBA, they already have fans. What if Memphis though made a championship run? They would gain A LOT more fans. Which is why I laugh at people saying that a big market needs to be in the Finals for the NBA to be successful. You are only thinking short term, long-term having teams without a lot of fans making the Finals is better for the NBA, because they will gain more fans.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,197

Post#25 » by Heat3 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Well didn't the NBA surpass the MLB in the 90's? After the strike and with MJ in all his glory. The NBA was 2nd only to the NFL. Then the NBA had it's own shortened season and MLB bounced back BECAUSE of the steroids lol So maybe it flipped.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Bigdog1
Sophomore

Post#26 » by Bigdog1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Storm Surge wrote:NBA can surpass the MLB if more teams win the championship. LA winning back-to-back titles doesn't help the NBA, they already have fans. What if Memphis though made a championship run? They would gain A LOT more fans. Which is why I laugh at people saying that a big market needs to be in the Finals for the NBA to be successful. You are only thinking short term, long-term having teams without a lot of fans making the Finals is better for the NBA, because they will gain more fans.

NBA is "superstar" driven league a team like Memphis in the Finals would make david stern commit suicide. The spurs pull a 6.2 ratings in the finals. Memphis would pull a sub 5 ratings. Put that in perspective, the Jay Leno show is averaging 5.2 nightly ratings and its going to get cancel because it is doing "bad" for NBC.

With the exception of tv ratings in the Finals of 1998 in Jordan Era and 2008 WS between Phil/rays, NBA have never beaten the MLB in money, attandance, or TV ratings.
txmontez713
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#27 » by txmontez713 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:52 pm

no nba is still looked up on as a thug like **** ball etc
also mlb has history even nfl is king baseball is still looked upon as americas past time.

why is it when some one brings up race people say they are playing a victim.?

im a bi racial male black and white lol i could pass for white and alot of times people think im just white.i hear all the racist jokes about the nba is monkey ball thug ball etc.until i explain t im mixed with black and white lol they look shocked and daze.one time i had to catch myself from punching a clown in the face.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#28 » by B-Ball Freak » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:52 pm

Here's a spin-off question, which is more popular worldwide, the NBA or MLB? I think that basketball is more popular than baseball worldwide but comparing the two big leagues, which is more popular globally?
Nothingface
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#29 » by Nothingface » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:03 pm

txmontez713 wrote:
im a bi racial male black and white lol i could pass for white and alot of times people think im just white.i hear all the racist jokes about the nba is monkey ball thug ball etc.until i explain t im mixed with black and white lol they look shocked and daze.one time i had to catch myself from punching a clown in the face.

I've never heard anyone talk about the NBA that way.
I do what I feel, not because people ask me to do this,” Bargnani says, holding his hands over his head and doing a strange chicken dance.
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 96

Post#30 » by Jaykoolzboy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:03 pm

If it's worldwide, I think it's going to surpass MLB and even NFL in the next 20 years with overseas NBA league (China, Europe).

Domestically-wise, not a chance, football is the national sport of this country and baseball will always be there with football.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM

Post#31 » by B-Ball Freak » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Nothingface wrote:
txmontez713 wrote:

I've never heard anyone talk about the NBA that way.

Maybe because you live in Toronto maybe the guy lives in like Mississippi or something
D-31
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#32 » by D-31 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:26 pm

Maybe if the NBA expands its regular season to 162 games
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,544

Post#33 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:37 pm

I agree with previous poster that MLB is a cash cow. You can't judge MLB by its regular season TV ratings, since they you know play 162 GAMES. Also MLB has 81 homes games to sell out a year. Average Attendance: 30,350. This is nearly 40% more than NBA attendance and they play twice as many games. Could you imagine how low NBA attendance would be if they played 80 homes games? The NBA has a long road to go before catching MLB.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM

Post#34 » by B-Ball Freak » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:01 am

I think it also makes a huge difference that the MLB doesnt have to contend with the NFL and the NHL.
turtlesnjoi
Sixth Man
And1: 514

Post#35 » by turtlesnjoi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:02 am

No, because there is zero parity in basketball.

People will get bored watching their team fail and the same couple teams win again and again and again.
Gallo>brook
Bigdog1
Sophomore

Post#36 » by Bigdog1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:35 am

B-Ball Freak wrote:I think it also makes a huge difference that the MLB doesnt have to contend with the NFL and the NHL.

MLB playoffs goes head on Against the NFL. Sunday Night Foorball on NBC will leave one sunday out of their season and that Sunday is when the World Series is played. NBA have basically Tuesday-Saturday when the NFL season is in full gear and the NBA playoffs goes against nothing significant.

Imagine If the baseball was play indoors and in the winter, the NBA would get trounce like pitpull on a stuff animal in ratings. Do you think aybody would even bother watching the Knicks beside hard core fans if the Yankees and the Mets are on tv? MLB would own the weekdays and NFl would own the weekends.

If kids stop playing modern warfare 2 then perhaps the NBA can gain something.
amb1ent
Veteran
And1: 17

Post#37 » by amb1ent » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:47 am

turtlesnjoi wrote:No, because there is zero parity in basketball.

People will get bored watching their team fail and the same couple teams win again and again and again.

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
nesta
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#38 » by nesta » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:51 am

baseball is a game where you can bring your family, watch outside, and enjoy a hotdog and a drank without missing any action because of the slow paced game. The experience watching baseball live is too hard for basketball to overcome for now.
D-31
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#39 » by D-31 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:19 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:I agree with previous poster that MLB is a cash cow. You can't judge MLB by its regular season TV ratings, since they you know play 162 GAMES. Also MLB has 81 homes games to sell out a year. Average Attendance: 30,350. This is nearly 40% more than NBA attendance and they play twice as many games. Could you imagine how low NBA attendance would be if they played 80 homes games? The NBA has a long road to go before catching MLB.

NBA ticket prices cost 40% more than MLB tickets.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM

Post#40 » by B-Ball Freak » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:26 am

Play-offs are a different animal, for the majority of the season though baseball has no rival and that's why I think is one reason, of many, why its a cash cow.

Return to The General Board