Should Rondo Start Over Iverson?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Reginald Wayne
Pro Prospect
And1: 408

Re: Should Rondo Start Over Iverson? 

Post#101 » by Reginald Wayne » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:21 am

The Rondo Show wrote:
Reginald Wayne wrote:I'd like to see what would happen if Rose and Rondo switched teams. Would Rondo be able to score when needed and take a game over? Probably not. Would Rose be able to get 10 assists a game? Indeed. Rose doesn't have the luxury of being able to pass it a Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Sheed, or Garnett, all of whom sink buckets. That's probably why Rose scores more than he gives the ball up.

This isn't about PG's though. The All star game is G's, F's and C's. So Rose having SG numbers doesn't matter. I vote Rose.
Rose has a TS% of 51.2 this year after a 51.6 TS% last year. It would hardly be impossible for Rondo to be the scorer that Rose is if you put him on the Bulls. Rose takes a ton of shots, that's why he averages 20 ppg, not because he's this great scorer that he's hyped up to be. Until Rose drastically improves his ability to get to the line, he's going to be a relatively inefficient scorer. I fully believe he's going to do that down the line, but he doesn't yet and he's not really a better scorer than Rondo because he hasn't added that aspect to his game yet.

Rondo just averaged 10 assists per game with KG out and Ray Allen continuing his season long shooting slump. Sheed doesn't even belong mentioned in that mix. He's an inefficient role player at this point in his career and nearly all of his value comes from his defense as a backup center, not as a scorer. Doesn't look like a guy living off great players, stat padding to me. His stats get better with guys hurt/out because his role in the offense expands.

What's TS% ?

Rose does take a lot more shots than Rondo, but Rose still shooting about 48%. Which is not "inefficient." It's actually awesome considering he is the defending teams main focus. I do agree that he needs to get to the line more often.
Reginald Wayne
Pro Prospect
And1: 408

Post#102 » by Reginald Wayne » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:23 am

Triple M wrote:
Reginald Wayne wrote:I'd like to see what would happen if Rose and Rondo switched teams. Would Rondo be able to score when needed and take a game over? Probably not. Would Rose be able to get 10 assists a game? Indeed. Rose doesn't have the luxury of being able to pass it a Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Sheed, or Garnett, all of whom sink buckets. That's probably why Rose scores more than he gives the ball up.

This isn't about PG's though. The All star game is G's, F's and C's. So Rose having SG numbers doesn't matter. I vote Rose.

Why would Rose average more assist then a pass first PG who happens to be one of the better passing/play making PG's in the league???? That is pretty much ridiculous seeing as Rose at this stage is average in that regard.

Is 10 more than Rondo? I thought Rondo had at least 10 a game. Sorry, didn't look at the actual stats. I'm saying he could get the same stat numbers. He averages 6 with the Bulls. I don't see why he couldn't get more with a much better squad.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#103 » by The Rondo Show » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:46 am

Reginald Wayne wrote:What's TS% ?

Rose does take a lot more shots than Rondo, but Rose still shooting about 48%. Which is not "inefficient." It's actually awesome considering he is the defending teams main focus. I do agree that he needs to get to the line more often.
TS% = True Shooting Percentage. FG% doesn't factor in 3's or FT's at all so it's a pretty flawed stat to measure a guys efficiency. A guy like Chauncey Billups can look like an inefficient scorer using FG% but he is actually very efficient because he hits a lot of 3's and he gets to the line a lot and buries them all. True Shooting Percentage accounts for 3's and FT's. Rose doesn't hit 3's and doesn't get to the line, that means he's got to be insane from the field to be an efficient scorer. He's very good from the field, but not insane.

http://www.knickerblogger.net/stats/2010/jh_ALL_TSP.htm
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#104 » by Posey H8er » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:54 am

The Rondo Show wrote:

Rose has a TS% of 51.2 this year after a 51.6 TS% last year. It would hardly be impossible for Rondo to be the scorer that Rose is if you put him on the Bulls. Rose takes a ton of shots, that's why he averages 20 ppg, not because he's this great scorer that he's hyped up to be. Until Rose drastically improves his ability to get to the line, he's going to be a relatively inefficient scorer. I fully believe he's going to do that down the line, but he doesn't yet and he's not really a better scorer than Rondo because he hasn't added that aspect to his game yet.

Rondo just averaged 10 assists per game with KG out and Ray Allen continuing his season long shooting slump. Sheed doesn't even belong mentioned in that mix. He's an inefficient role player at this point in his career and nearly all of his value comes from his defense as a backup center, not as a scorer. Doesn't look like a guy living off great players, stat padding to me. His stats get better with guys hurt/out because his role in the offense expands.

Regarding TS%, Rose was playing very poorly for the first two months of the season because he was dealing with a serious ankle injury. He barely drove to the basket and was relying more on his jump shot, which wasn't falling all that much.

Since then he has been averaging close to 23ppg and 6+ assists, consistently hitting his mid-range jumper, and consistently driving to the basket for easy buckets. He has singlehandedly won games by taking over in the 4th quarter. The Bulls unfortunately don't have anyone that can do that to take the load off Rose, -> Gordon.

Rondo gets more assists because at this point because he has the benefit of not having to be 'the guy'. He has guys that can hit outside baskets. However Rondo is the better passer at this point.

You need to watch more Bulls games before you say Rose's offense isn't as good as Rondo's. And that's not taking anything away from Rondo because I believe he should be an All Star this year.
RealRip32
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#105 » by RealRip32 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:52 am

Jimmy76 wrote:
AI is lock for HOF

deal with it

yeah,probably u re right.
but still,if i take a look at the players who are in the HOF since the late 80s(when i started watching ball)he would be one of the worst.
I know he was funny to watch because of the crossovers,the pound for pound etc.I've enjoyed him too.
but imho he's simply not a winner.

And he's not MJ,so he don't deserve an ASG start when his career is actually over.
RealRip32
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#106 » by RealRip32 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:54 am

btw,rumors said that both Rond and Rose will make ASG.
bluefear
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#107 » by bluefear » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:54 am

RealRip32 wrote:
Jimmy76 wrote:
And he's not MJ,so he don't deserve an ASG start when his career is actually over.

AI does deserve to start..the fans voted him in

so many people with this 'deserve' talk..haha nba is about ticket sales, ratings and money not basketball
CentralQB5
Pro Prospect
And1: 47

Post#108 » by CentralQB5 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:40 am

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rondo over Iverson
almatic
Veteran
And1: 1,713

Post#109 » by almatic » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:56 am

Masigond wrote:
almatic wrote:win Rookie of the Year? Coz AI did, in the best draft class ever.

More than 12 years have passed since then.
win a season MVP award? I don't think so, but AI has 1.

More than 8 years ago.
And AI shouldn't be considered in the Hall of Fame???

Yes, he will be a Hall of Famer, but based on his performances long ago.
no one plays with more heart than AI

Exaggerated. There are other players showing the same effort. Some of them even more (especially in practice so that they know how to play with their teammates).
not to mention he was a #1 overall pick in the best draft, & lived up to the hype.

As already mentioned, it was not the best draft, and he did not completely live up to the hype in terms of impact. Where are the championships? Furthermore: He is now no more than average and there is no reason left for hype based on his performances on court.

So he will be a HoFer but he is a really bad choice as an All-Star of the year 2010. Last year he did not deserve to be one, either. Why does he get so many farewells when even a better and more entertaining player like Shaq (who was better than AI last year) doesn't have that bonus?

I think you took me the wrong way. The whole rant was about how you said Iverson shouldn't be considered for the Hall of Fame............... or did you choose to forget that you said that?
Coz now you're saying he will be a hall of famer... so yea... owned.
The fact that you're nitpicking about Iverson's accomplishments shows your just an AI-hater anyway.
Masigond
Sixth Man
And1: 573

Post#110 » by Masigond » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:37 am

almatic wrote:I think you took me the wrong way. The whole rant was about how you said Iverson shouldn't be considered for the Hall of Fame............... or did you choose to forget that you said that?
Coz now you're saying he will be a hall of famer... so yea... owned.
The fact that you're nitpicking about Iverson's accomplishments shows your just an AI-hater anyway.

It wasn't me who said that he shouldn't be considered. Perhaps you should try to remember which user said what before accusing me of something. You did nothing but own yourself. :wink:

If I am an AI-hater, you're a completely biased AI-kiddie, obviously still living in the year 2002. Wake up!
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#111 » by Dirty Water » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:37 am

Posey H8er wrote:Rondo gets more assists because at this point because he has the benefit of not having to be 'the guy'. He has guys that can hit outside baskets. However Rondo is the better passer at this point.

You need to watch more Bulls games before you say Rose's offense isn't as good as Rondo's. And that's not taking anything away from Rondo because I believe he should be an All Star this year.

You need to watch more Bulls games too, I seem to recall Bulls having this guy named Ben Gordon last year. I heard he could shoot from the outside a bit.
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#112 » by Ferulci » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:57 am

UoI19 wrote:No, but Derrick Rose should.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#113 » by jax98 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:43 pm

Ferulci wrote:
UoI19 wrote:No, but Derrick Rose should.
Harry10
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#114 » by Harry10 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Joe should start over Iverson

Dwight/KG/Lebron/Joe/Wade
the7boss
Pro Prospect
And1: 553

Post#115 » by the7boss » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:56 pm

Yeah.

And Bosh over KG.
tosi
Assistant Coach
And1: 504

Post#116 » by tosi » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Rondo is not Jordan
fart wrote:I agree. get over it people. MJ is ridicoulsly overrated that people have developed this perception that no one can challenge him for GOAT.
mickie
Rookie
And1: 516

Post#117 » by mickie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:21 pm

Rondo was overrated and he's still overrated. everyone else around him makes him good. try making a PG in Toronto, he's gonna suck.

Joe Johnson i agree, he can start over AI.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,490

Post#118 » by Hipster Doofus » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Rondo ain't starting over Iverson, unless AI sits out due to injury concerns. End of discussion.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,793

Post#119 » by Triple M » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:12 pm

mickie wrote:Rondo was overrated and he's still overrated. everyone else around him makes him good. try making a PG in Toronto, he's gonna suck.

Joe Johnson i agree, he can start over AI.

Really Rondo would suck playing with Bosh and Toronto's shooters???
AWalkerREMIX
Starter
And1: 8

Post#120 » by AWalkerREMIX » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:44 am

FakeScreenName123 wrote:Rose has been better in the last 2 months mainly (not completely his fault, he was injured), whereas Rondo has been more consistent over the year. It's an even argument. But you're not contributing anything more than a bitter, whiny troll. And it's now a pattern, not just a one time thing.

Rondo has been the best player on the celtics all year. Period. The Celtics have a top 3 record in the east. Therefore, the best player on the team with a top 3 record should be in the all-star game. KG shouldnt be. Peirce shouldnt be. Ray Allen shouldnt be. The only Celtic that should be in the all-star game is Rondo.

Also, for the people who say he doesnt fit the all-star game... UUUUHHHHHHHH he's top 4 in the league in assists. You want someone who is fast and is great at passing to be in an all-star game you dopes. Someone has to throw the alley oops and lead the fastbreaks. I'd rather have more facilitators in the ASG than scorers.

For people just now entering this thread, let me save you some time. I've read all of the posts and this is the only one worth reading.

Return to The General Board