Steve Kyler: Bosh is staying, Loves Toronto

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

raps4life~
General Manager
And1: 25

Re: Steve Kyler: Bosh is staying, Loves Toronto 

Post#81 » by raps4life~ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:41 am

no one said the raptors were a contender.

all we are saying is we would rather have a decent, young team right now than a terrible team with hopes of landing a big ticket free agent (not saying you wont, but most people think lebron is staying with the cavs)
Lionel Messi
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#82 » by Lionel Messi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:43 am

KnicksMetsJetsNova wrote:lol my goodness one solid winstreak and the 9 million raptors fans on here think they are a title contender.. like i said i know your excitement and i dont mean to rain on your parade, but your team is a pretender.. idk why anyone brought the knicks in this, im just stating facts.. im not insulting anyone, the raptors are a pretender, its a fact not an insult

if you made a poll on here asking "are the raptors pretenders or contenders" and all 9 million of you raptor fans didnt vote (meaning it was unbiased), id guarantee 80% minimum vote pretenders.. unless it turned into an anthony randolph vs wilt chamberlain type poll where people vote AR just to f*ck with the op

idk why you all got defensive.. i say raptors are pretenders and lack capspace, and the responses are:

-LOL NO CHANCE AT LEBRON HAHA
-KNICKS SUCK
-LOL WHERES YOUR PICK?
-DOES CHRIS DUHON REALLY START FOR YOU GUYS?!?!?!

facts are facts people

We're not getting defensive. You said you'd rather have a 5% chance at LeBron, a **** team and lots of cap space than a good young team that is 6 games above .500 and playing their best basketball all year.
So you brought in the Knicks comparison. We're not a contender, but we're not a pretender. A pretender is a team with no chance at a title but with a very good record.

We're a good team that is still progressing with lots of room for improvement. I don't think there is ANY raptor fan (above the age of 13) who thinks the raptors are contending for the title this year.

We can still get better, and with a GM like Colangelo who is very creative with his moves and is always looking to improve his team, it's easy to be optimistic at this point.

My point is that it's not a black/white issue. We're not contender/pretender, we're a different type of team.
The mavs have no chance at a championship this year, neither do the jazz, or the heat/bobcats/bulls/phoenix/houston/new orleans. Does that mean they can't improve? No.

It's a progress, no team (except the celtics 2 years ago) go from bottom to top in one season.
Joe Buddy
Pro Prospect
And1: 163

Post#83 » by Joe Buddy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:47 am

KnicksMetsJetsNova wrote:the raptors are a pretender, its a fact not an insult

I don't see how your opinion is a fact.
raps4life~
General Manager

Post#84 » by raps4life~ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:47 am

and did u honestly think calling the raptors "pretenders" would not bring on some angry raptors fans? pretty obvious attempt at baiting IMO.
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#85 » by bringinhinkie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:58 am

raps4life~ wrote:and did u honestly think calling the raptors "pretenders" would not bring on some angry raptors fans? pretty obvious attempt at baiting IMO.

its not baiting unless you take the bait

not trying to start anything, carry on with the discussion my good people
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#86 » by basketball royalty » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:07 am

J-Ville Smoke wrote:Sign an extension then.

If he signs an extension this year he will lose the sixth year of his deal and only be able to get a 5 yr deal. He wants to maximize his contract to get the most he can possibly get. Same goes for DWade and LeBron.
props to Turbozone for the sig
inonba
Pro Prospect
And1: 264

Post#87 » by inonba » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:53 am

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
With that said, I think its crazy how Toronto fans flaunt their record around like they are a top 5 team in the league. I can understand being happy about cheering for a winning team. But around the league, Toronto is nothing. Get that through your heads. Nothing. Nobody is fearing you. You are only talked about when it pertains to Chris Bosh. Thats it. Sure, Toronto is a better team than NY....WITH BOSH. They are a better team than Chicago....WITH BOSH. They may be a better team than Miami.....WITH BOSH. You put Bosh on either of the latter two (as currently constructed) and they become instant contenders. Toronto isnt even close to being contenders.......WITH BOSH.

Was that a lame attempt at an argument. Replace Toronto with Cleveland and Bosh with Lebron or Miami with Wade, Dallas with Dirk, San Antonio with Dirk, OKC with Durant, etc, etc, etc and you'll have the same argument. Take the best player from team A, place it onto team B and team B will become a contender. How many times has that happened in the last 20 years?
Big Tuna
Junior
And1: 7

Post#88 » by Big Tuna » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:20 am

KnicksMetsJetsNova wrote:its not baiting unless you take the bait
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#89 » by sanity » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:24 am

I'm quick to point out that mediocrity will be the ceiling of this Raptors team on their forum... but I at least have some respect for that franchise for at least attempting to try and win while developing its own players/core. I don't think it says much in vouching for a team has purposely sucked in order to acquire developed star players from other franchises. At least the Raptors GM had the testicular fortitude to try and improve the team each summer, even if it meant bonehead moves that didn't pan out. Maybe the team is a pretender in the grand scheme of things, but they command more respect than teams purposely sucking and alleviating capspace the past 3 years for this upcoming summer. Tanking is bull and a lot of teams do it.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,614

Post#90 » by Betta Bulleavit » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:35 am

inonba wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:
With that said, I think its crazy how Toronto fans flaunt their record around like they are a top 5 team in the league. I can understand being happy about cheering for a winning team. But around the league, Toronto is nothing. Get that through your heads. Nothing. Nobody is fearing you. You are only talked about when it pertains to Chris Bosh. Thats it. Sure, Toronto is a better team than NY....WITH BOSH. They are a better team than Chicago....WITH BOSH. They may be a better team than Miami.....WITH BOSH. You put Bosh on either of the latter two (as currently constructed) and they become instant contenders. Toronto isnt even close to being contenders.......WITH BOSH.

Was that a lame attempt at an argument. Replace Toronto with Cleveland and Bosh with Lebron or Miami with Wade, Dallas with Dirk, San Antonio with Dirk, OKC with Durant, etc, etc, etc and you'll have the same argument. Take the best player from team A, place it onto team B and team B will become a contender. How many times has that happened in the last 20 years?

Not many. Thats precisely why I think Bosh will likely stay put. However, much has been said about te desire of the big 3 to be championship contenders. If that plays out, you have to respect the fact that it is somewhat convceivable that a guy like Bosh might go to a place like Miami or Chicago, which very well could be an even better situation than the one that he is in now.

For Example:

Bosh: Hmm..Let me take a look at my current situation. We are a playoff team, we have some young talent, and they treat me like royalty here. However, given some of the moves that the team has made recently, our ability to improve is minimal. I can sign here and become an extremely wealthy man. Wealthier than if I were to sign anywhere else. Question is, can this team compete with the league's elite? Ehh probably not. But we'll be competitive year in and year out.

Now, I could go elsewhere and earn substantially less but have a better shot at being remembered as a champion. You know...if I were to hook up with D Wade and the talent that they have there in MIA, I could be that guy that puts them over the hump. I dont have a D Wade right now. Heck, they might even be able to acquire another star and I could be part of a dynasty. Not to mention the very nice weather :D And the money.....well, being a winner and/or playing in a larger market tends to enhance a guy's earning potential. Man.....I really got something to think about dont I??
Marlowe
Senior
And1: 63

Post#91 » by Marlowe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:51 am

Big Tuna wrote:
KnicksMetsJetsNova wrote:its not baiting unless you take the bait

It's attempted baiting.
inonba
Pro Prospect

Post#92 » by inonba » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:46 am

Betta Bulleavit wrote:Not many. Thats precisely why I think Bosh will likely stay put. However, much has been said about te desire of the big 3 to be championship contenders. If that plays out, you have to respect the fact that it is somewhat convceivable that a guy like Bosh might go to a place like Miami or Chicago, which very well could be an even better situation than the one that he is in now.

For Example:

Bosh: Hmm..Let me take a look at my current situation. We are a playoff team, we have some young talent, and they treat me like royalty here. However, given some of the moves that the team has made recently, our ability to improve is minimal. I can sign here and become an extremely wealthy man. Wealthier than if I were to sign anywhere else. Question is, can this team compete with the league's elite? Ehh probably not. But we'll be competitive year in and year out.

Now, I could go elsewhere and earn substantially less but have a better shot at being remembered as a champion. You know...if I were to hook up with D Wade and the talent that they have there in MIA, I could be that guy that puts them over the hump. I dont have a D Wade right now. Heck, they might even be able to acquire another star and I could be part of a dynasty. Not to mention the very nice weather :D And the money.....well, being a winner and/or playing in a larger market tends to enhance a guy's earning potential. Man.....I really got something to think about dont I??

There are so many things wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin. First off, do you actually think Bosh would give up his own team to join someone else and admit he is inferior to that person? Second, do you actually think Miami has a good core, meaning adding Bosh and another player is the start of a dynasty? Do you actually think Miami is a bigger market than Toronto? If you answer yes to any of the 3 questions, then I'm done.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#93 » by Flash3 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:59 am

inonba wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:Not many. Thats precisely why I think Bosh will likely stay put. However, much has been said about te desire of the big 3 to be championship contenders. If that plays out, you have to respect the fact that it is somewhat convceivable that a guy like Bosh might go to a place like Miami or Chicago, which very well could be an even better situation than the one that he is in now.

For Example:

There are so many things wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin. First off, do you actually think Bosh would give up his own team to join someone else and admit he is inferior to that person? Second, do you actually think Miami has a good core, meaning adding Bosh and another player is the start of a dynasty? Do you actually think Miami is a bigger market than Toronto? If you answer yes to any of the 3 questions, then I'm done.

1. IF Bosh wants to win, joining another top flight player in the league (i.e. Wade or LeBron) will get him to that goal sooner and probably much easier than in Toronto for the foreseeable future with their inflexibility going forward.

2. The inferiority of wanting to join another team and all that stuff to me is non-sense, because when Kobe's spoken of in the realm of the great, he's got 4 titles and counting, not 1 (he won by himself because of a trade that helped his team) and another 3 that he had to share with Shaq. All that stuff is BS to me.

3. Bosh coming to Miami or going to Cleveland or w/ever and winning will get him the market share no matter how small or big the market may be.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
inonba
Pro Prospect

Post#94 » by inonba » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:19 pm

Flash3 wrote:
1. IF Bosh wants to win, joining another top flight player in the league (i.e. Wade or LeBron) will get him to that goal sooner and probably much easier than in Toronto for the foreseeable future with their inflexibility going forward.

2. The inferiority of wanting to join another team and all that stuff to me is non-sense, because when Kobe's spoken of in the realm of the great, he's got 4 titles and counting, not 1 (he won by himself because of a trade that helped his team) and another 3 that he had to share with Shaq. All that stuff is BS to me.

3. Bosh coming to Miami or going to Cleveland or w/ever and winning will get him the market share no matter how small or big the market may be.

1. IF Wade wants to win, joining another top flight player in the league (i.e. Bosh or LeBron) will get him to that goal sooner and probably much easier than in Miami for the foreseeable future with their lack of talent going forward.

3. Wade leaving Miami or going to Cleveland or w/ever and winning will get him the market share no matter how small or big the market may be.
raps4life~
General Manager

Post#95 » by raps4life~ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:14 pm

Chris Bosh on American media:

"It has not been easy," he admits when asked about all the speculation. "I guess this is wishful thinking from other forms of media. Welcome to my world."
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,237

Post#96 » by amcoolio » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Why is this a thread again? None of you knows, including whoever this Steve Kyler guy, what Bosh is going to do until he actually signs a contract in the offseason. Same with LeBron and Wade. So what's with the pointless arguing?

Have you ever heard of smokescreening? Newsflash....hundreds of NBA players before Bosh have said the exact same things, only to sign a contract with another team. Do you really think Bosh is going to tell Toronto in the offseason "Well, since I said I liked Toronto back in January, I guess I have to stay here."
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
raps4life~
General Manager

Post#97 » by raps4life~ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:21 pm

The purpose of these threads is to combat the belief that Chris Bosh is 100% leaving the Raptors, as the American media has portrayed (If you like to see the quotes: http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basket ... 1-sun.html

Obviously nobody knows what the hell is going to happen, but Raptor fans, and the Toronto media is getting fed up of these "he is leaving for sure" statements.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,202

Post#98 » by Heat3 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:15 pm

inonba wrote:
Flash3 wrote:

1. IF Wade wants to win, joining another top flight player in the league (i.e. Bosh or LeBron) will get him to that goal sooner and probably much easier than in Miami for the foreseeable future with their lack of talent going forward.

3. Wade leaving Miami or going to Cleveland or w/ever and winning will get him the market share no matter how small or big the market may be.

Your lazy attempt at an argument would have merit except neither Toronto nor Cleveland can sign Wade to pair him up with Bosh or Lebron respectively. Only Miami has the cap space to sign a star player to pair up with star that's already on the team.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

mike_miller
Lead Assistant
And1: 34

Post#99 » by mike_miller » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm

^because the world will end after 2010...

i know its hard to remember but there will be trades, signings, and drafts after the 2010 fa period...
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,202

Post#100 » by Heat3 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:54 pm

mike_miller wrote:^because the world will end after 2010...

i know its hard to remember but there will be trades, signings, and drafts after the 2010 fa period...

Are you replying to me? It's hard to tell what your argument is. I can only assume that it's that Toronto and Cleveland will some how sign or trade for a top caliber star after 2010 FA period. There aren't going to be any stars available to "sign" after the FA period. Neither of these teams have the pieces to trade for a star that just signed a huge contract either (assuming they don't want to trade Bosh or Lebron to get him...)
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Return to The General Board