Are the Magic and Cavs forming a "legit" rivalry?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

C'mon Cavs
Starter
And1: 5

Re: Are the Magic and Cavs forming a "legit" rivalry? 

Post#21 » by C'mon Cavs » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:46 am

Shaq isn't an enforcer. You should've picked up Stephen Jackson if that's what you were going for.

Shaq is the biggest enforcer in the game. He destroys people when they come into the paint, and he definitely won't stand for any shenanigans out of the opponent.

Stephen Jackson is just a hot-headed punk. If push came to shove he'd get rocked by a lot of guys.
ImmortalD24
Assistant Coach
And1: 281

Post#22 » by ImmortalD24 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:48 am

There's no rivalry unless the Cavaliers beat the Magic in the playoffs.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,721

Post#23 » by DowJones » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:52 am

Hello, Laker fans. Glad to see you guys found your way into another Cleveland thread.
jmb987
Bench Warmer
And1: 109

Post#24 » by jmb987 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:56 am

DowJones wrote:Hello, Laker fans. Glad to see you guys found your way into another Cleveland thread.

I thought this was on the general board Image
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#25 » by LLcoleJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:58 am

DowJones wrote:Hello, Laker fans. Glad to see you guys found your way into another Cleveland thread.

Should we...

a) move this to the CLE board?

b) not allow CLE fans to post on anything LAL related?

Answer to both : No.

Relax.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by LLcoleJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:00 am

C'mon Cavs wrote:
Shaq isn't an enforcer. You should've picked up Stephen Jackson if that's what you were going for.

Shaq is the biggest enforcer in the game. He destroys people when they come into the paint, and he definitely won't stand for any shenanigans out of the opponent.

Shaq is a Big dude and no question he would pummel most people, but he is very docile in that regard.

Sure you have the Barkley and BMiller incidents, but for the most part Shaq does not lose his head.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#27 » by DowJones » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:01 am

You have to admit that there has been a big increase in Laker fans that respond to Cleveland-related posts as the year has gone on and you really can't say the same about Cleveland fans invading Laker-related threads.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by LLcoleJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:05 am

DowJones wrote:You have to admit that there has been a big increase in Laker fans that respond to Cleveland-related posts as the year has gone on and you really can't say the same about Cleveland fans invading Laker-related threads.

Actually, you can.

Difference? There are just more Laker fans in the world and on this board.

Laker and Cavs are the top teams in the league and of course Kobe and Lebron.

I am not sure what you have been reading on the GB, but it is filled with both fan bases constantly invading each others " threads".

At the end of the day, its the GENERAL BOARD and unless you are breaking the rules, you are allowed to post in any thread you want.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#29 » by DowJones » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:11 am

I am not saying it is against the rules and Laker fans can do whatever they want. I never said that they couldn't. But I do continue to find it interesting. There was even an article on ESPN.com last year that was on their front page in regards to Laker fans and their obsession with Cleveland/LeBron. Hollinger and Stein said they had never gotten as much mail by 1 group of fans than the mail they got from Laker fans after the Cavs lost to Orlando. You see the same pattern on the GB.

I find it interesting and I agree with you, Laker fans can post whatever they want. When a bunch of them flood to a Cleveland-related thread, I will welcome them in a polite way. :)
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#30 » by Dr Aki » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:13 am

maybe if lebron forgets to shake hands again

as is, only fans are making it into something, theres no ish, not a rivalry til both teams beat each other in the playoffs, those kinda pre-requisites are missing
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by LLcoleJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:23 am

DowJones wrote:I am not saying it is against the rules and Laker fans can do whatever they want. I never said that they couldn't. But I do continue to find it interesting. There was even an article on ESPN.com last year that was on their front page in regards to Laker fans and their obsession with Cleveland/LeBron. Hollinger and Stein said they had never gotten as much mail by 1 group of fans than the mail they got from Laker fans after the Cavs lost to Orlando. You see the same pattern on the GB.

Ok... so what is the point of that? Again, Laker fans are one of , if not the largest fan bases for the NBA in the world. Simple mathematics would indicate a ratio of a large market team v small market team is going to have more fans/posters of said team. Furthermore, it's not about CLE it's about CLE being a contender that can face Lakers in the finals if both teams make it. Seems pretty normal to me.

I find it interesting and I agree with you, Laker fans can post whatever they want. When a bunch of them flood to a Cleveland-related thread, I will welcome them in a polite way. :)

I would hope so, I don't see the issue with a topic posted on the GB that is being asked for the GB's opinion on the matter. On top of that, you have a team like the Lakers who have more insight on the subject matter ( i.e rivalries) and kind of helps with the point of an open forum-discussion.

Side note: Read a Laker/Kobe related thread and see how many Cav fans show up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP, I apologize that your thread was derailed by this topic by both DowJones and myself.

I would say, it certainly is a budding rivalry and it will really build and build as Lebron and Howard continue to batter for supremacy in the eastern conference for years to come. Yes, it's the beg. of a rivalry barring any significant moves/teams falling out.
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 877

Post#32 » by mattyBoi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:25 am

Yes.
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#33 » by The Skyhook » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:30 am

MayoisMemphis wrote:Fight is needed

If a fight is needed to make a rivalry happen then there is a better chance that the Lakers and Nuggets would form a rivalry. Nuggets and Lakers both have individuals who would get into a fight or something of that sort.

Lamar Odom isn't afraid to challenge anyone and he has proven it before. The guy will not back down and now that Ron Artest has his back I cannot see him backing down from a fight if there was an opportunity. Birdman and Odom got into it last season during the WCF. Ever since that loss to the Finals in Boston guys like Lamar Odom have changed.

I can not see anyone from both Orlando and Cleveland getting into a scuffle other than Anderson Varejo because he knows how to get under your skin. The Lakers and Cavs both have opportunities to be in the Finals against each other for a few years. If both teams meet each other in the Finals I can see there being a rivalry. Varejo likes to get under the skin of our guys and I can see Ron Ron or Lamar getting into some sort of scuffle with him.

Lamar and the Nuggets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNatJu6xhDo

Lamar and KG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX_5o-mxH4w
Puertorique
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#34 » by Puertorique » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:39 am

DowJones wrote:You have to admit that there has been a big increase in Laker fans that respond to Cleveland-related posts as the year has gone on and you really can't say the same about Cleveland fans invading Laker-related threads.

Funny thing on TNT Barkley said the only reason he hit Shaq was because he knew people were going to break up the fight. Haha. That's pretty impressive considering Barkley's not a punk.
mattyBoi
Head Coach

Post#35 » by mattyBoi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:39 am

Well i can easily see Barnes get into, he almost did with Pierce earlier in the year, and both the Magic and Cavs have players that talk **** and stare players down, even though it hasn't resulted in any fights. And yeah Varejao, no one in the city of Orlando can stand that guy, especially Dwight.

I can see the Lakers/Nuggets starting a rivalry only if the Nuggets win in the playoffs, or really take the Lakers to a near loss in a series.
J-Ville Smoke
Head Coach
And1: 296

Post#36 » by J-Ville Smoke » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:40 am

To the OP, I apologize that your thread was derailed by this topic by both DowJones and myself.

I would say, it certainly is a budding rivalry and it will really build and build as Lebron and Howard continue to batter for supremacy in the eastern conference for years to come. Yes, it's the beg. of a rivalry barring any significant moves/teams falling out.

Pretty much the perspective I was looking for, thank you.
Волков бояться — в лес не ходить.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#37 » by Jimmy76 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:42 am

i think the magic are going to be a team in the decline in a year or two barring some brilliant gming/amazing Dwight breakout

but yea its something of a rivalry now
G[o][o]se
Senior
And1: 5

Post#38 » by G[o][o]se » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:42 am

Didn't Vince kinda pin Verjao and stared at him while on the ground today?
mattyBoi
Head Coach

Post#39 » by mattyBoi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:44 am

G[o][o]se wrote:Didn't Vince kinda pin Verjao and stared at him while on the ground today?

Yessir similar to what Dwight did in the ECF.
mattyBoi
Head Coach

Post#40 » by mattyBoi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:45 am

Jimmy76 wrote:i think the magic are going to be a team in the decline in a year or two barring some brilliant gming/amazing Dwight breakout

but yea its something of a rivalry now

Can I ask why you think that? Just curious.

Return to The General Board