Lebron's PER

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Re: Lebron's PER 

Post#121 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Mar 2, 2010 6:32 am

Paydro70 wrote:Couldn't it also just be a cultural shift? College basketball programs play all kinds of insane styles based on the coaches' theories and preferences, not just because it's more efficient or they face some particular opposition. At least some of the slowdown could simply be the arrival of coaches that prefer a methodical style over a faster one. Not that this really has much to do with the discussion.

"Cultural shift" would be a reasonable term to use to describe the fact that coaches came to the conclusion that a particular change made their team better, but the purpose for the coach is always to make their team better.

If we were to bring this back closer to the conversation and get into detail I'd say:

-I think that when pace first started falling, it was primarily due to improving offensive strategy. Not settling for the first semi-decent shot, more sophisticated architecting to get better shots, etc.

-I think that in the last 25 years or so, relative pace has been more about the pressure defense puts on the offense. Which is partly skill and strategy, and partly the rules of the moment.

I do also think that there are trends of the moment that can shift things in a particular direction - and I think there are times when teams have been unnecessarily gunshy about taking advantage of the transition game.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Vincent 666
Lead Assistant
And1: 44

Post#122 » by Vincent 666 » Tue Mar 2, 2010 7:07 am

Let the mass masturbation over Lebrons stats continue.

Dont forget the towel guys
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#123 » by blkout » Tue Mar 2, 2010 9:04 am

Chronz wrote:I think he means, given 2 players with identical per possession rates and efficiency, the one who maintained his level of play should be given the benefit of the doubt. Which I agree with but is not always the case.

He's not really maintaining his level of play though, he's just taking longer to achieve it.

Abit clearer? You used per game rates with no adjustments for pace and a vague definition of efficiency.

I'm not really a fan of pace adjustment to be honest, plus I don't understand it well enough to include it as part of my arguments. Probably something I should investigate further really.

That being said, is there really a specific definition of offensive efficiency? To try and be a bit clearer, I look at shooting percentages (individually, not just TS/eFG because like I said with LeBron, he has a similar TS% to MJ but when you look closer you see he's taking 5 shots a game from three at 35%, whereas Jordan stuck to what he was good at and that is shooting within the three point line... to me that is more offensively efficient because he's not wasting those 5 shots, I think LeBron is), turnovers and turnover rate in relation to assist-rate.

I'd love to be able to look at shot locations/percentages, when the players take shots in relation to the shot clock etc but unfortunately I don't think that info is available for MJ. Generally though I look at those things also.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,688

Post#124 » by Johnny Firpo » Tue Mar 2, 2010 11:21 am

nate33 wrote:I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread yet, but the reason Lebron's PER exceeds Jordan's is because PER is normalized to the league average. PER isn't telling us that Lebron is better than Jordan. PER is telling us that Lebron is better than the average 2009 player to a slightly greater degree than Jordan was better than an average 1990 player.

De we know that that the average 2009 player is better, or worse than the average 90's player, in that regard?
Raptor Pride
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#125 » by Raptor Pride » Tue Mar 2, 2010 3:17 pm

Oh yeah; Anthony Parker's PER is 9.8, which according to hollinger is:
*Scrounging for minutes: 11.0
*Definitely renting: 9.0
And he has started every game this year.
Screw PER, means nothing. Parker will lead the CAVS to the championship as he is the chosen one!
Mayap
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#126 » by Mayap » Tue Mar 2, 2010 3:19 pm

Who cares about Lebron's goddamn PER....if you include Wilt's blocks he would have a PER of 45, and Lebron nor anyone else will ever, ever be able to match that.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#127 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 2, 2010 4:08 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:
nate33 wrote:I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread yet, but the reason Lebron's PER exceeds Jordan's is because PER is normalized to the league average. PER isn't telling us that Lebron is better than Jordan. PER is telling us that Lebron is better than the average 2009 player to a slightly greater degree than Jordan was better than an average 1990 player.

De we know that that the average 2009 player is better, or worse than the average 90's player, in that regard?

Well, there's no way to really know. One can argue that dilution has thinned out the talent a bit since there are now 30 teams instead of the 27 teams in Jordan's era. But others will argue that the international players offset the dilution.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#128 » by INKtastic » Tue Mar 2, 2010 6:37 pm

nate33 wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:

Well, there's no way to really know. One can argue that dilution has thinned out the talent a bit since there are now 30 teams instead of the 27 teams in Jordan's era. But others will argue that the international players offset the dilution.

it's reasonable to think the two cancel each other out. The assumption with PER is that the average talent level is roughly the same. The reason you adjust to league averages is you adjust out things like rule changes, changes in training techniques, better coaching at earlier ages, etc.

For example, when the 3 point line was moved in for 3 years, adjusting to league averages automatically accounts for that. When it was moved back, adjusting to league averages again accounts for that automatically. You don't have to nit pick and remember and explain why some players suddenly were more prolific 3 point shooters for a few years.

If you assume that the average talent level is roughly the same (or that players from prior generations would benefit from teh training and coaching improvements over the years) and that the widening talent pool roughly offsets the expansion of the league. Then adjusting for pace and league averages factors out most of the variables such as rules changes, training techniques, etc, and the result shows just how far given players separate themselves from the pack.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#129 » by Paydro70 » Tue Mar 2, 2010 10:59 pm

BLKOUT wrote:
Chronz wrote:I think he means, given 2 players with identical per possession rates and efficiency, the one who maintained his level of play should be given the benefit of the doubt. Which I agree with but is not always the case.

He's not really maintaining his level of play though, he's just taking longer to achieve it.

...no, that really doesn't follow, you can't spend more time to achieve efficiency, either you have it or you don't. A player who plays 10mpg can have 30 PER, because it's a possession-based stat, not game. If two players play at the same level of efficiency, and have a similarly large role within the team's offense (that is, the have the same usage rate), the player who plays more minutes does more to help his team win.

To pick a clear example, Leandro Barbosa and Stephen Jackson both shoot around .524 in TS%, and have 23.4 Usage%. Barbosa, however, plays 20mpg, and Jackson 40mpg. Surely we agree that Jackson helps the Bobcats win more than Barbosa helps the Suns, based purely on the playing time. If the difference is 5mpg, as it is for MJ/LeBron, it still tilts the overall impact towards LeBron.

BLKOUT wrote:
Abit clearer? You used per game rates with no adjustments for pace and a vague definition of efficiency.

I'm not really a fan of pace adjustment to be honest, plus I don't understand it well enough to include it as part of my arguments. Probably something I should investigate further really.

That being said, is there really a specific definition of offensive efficiency? To try and be a bit clearer, I look at shooting percentages (individually, not just TS/eFG because like I said with LeBron, he has a similar TS% to MJ but when you look closer you see he's taking 5 shots a game from three at 35%, whereas Jordan stuck to what he was good at and that is shooting within the three point line... to me that is more offensively efficient because he's not wasting those 5 shots, I think LeBron is), turnovers and turnover rate in relation to assist-rate.

I'd love to be able to look at shot locations/percentages, when the players take shots in relation to the shot clock etc but unfortunately I don't think that info is available for MJ. Generally though I look at those things also.

Pace adjustment is simply necessary to do. It is the reality of the NBA that some teams play 15% more possessions than others, it doesn't make all of the faster team's players 15% more valuable, which is what happens if you trust per game numbers instead of per possession.

There isn't a specific definition of efficiency. There is for scoring, TS% is by far the best, but the balance between that (at a particular usage rate), passing efficiency (assist rate and turnover rate), and offensive rebounding is difficult to draw.

I don't know what point you are trying to make about the 3s though. If on a given number of trips down the floor, they both end up scoring the same number of points, why does it matter what the breakdown of 3s and 2s is? Maybe what you're trying to argue here is that LeBron is slightly more efficient from 2 than from 3, and thus should only take 2s. That really doesn't follow, because surely the threat of taking a 3 helps him score from 2 (and get to the line, which he did more than MJ... though MJ shot better from the stripe which evens it out). When you add the two together, LeBron uses the possessions he shoots on more efficiently than MJ, and that's really what matters.

I'm really not sure why the timing of shots in the shot clock matters for efficiency. Shot locations, perhaps, because then you can account for the likelihood of an offensive rebound, which is lowest on long 2s.
Manuel Calavera
Starter
And1: 307

Post#130 » by Manuel Calavera » Wed Mar 3, 2010 12:13 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Manuel Calavera wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:-Re: FG%: Ok, whoa. Why are you doing that? On what basis are you saying that the ability of guys today to make more of their shots is due to something that is not at all related to increase in skill? If you look at FG% through NBA history, you'll see that for the first few decades it skyrocketed. This had nothing to do with pace - Pace peaked in the early 60s, but FG% improved before and after that peak. Think about this from what you'd expect from any sport that's still young. When guys start practicing more and from a younger age, you're going to expect to see major improvement. You absolutely should not assume that deviation in FG% between eras is something that should be corrected away as something that tells you nothing about how good players are.

This is where you're going to run into problems. If you have a pre-conceived notion that players today are better then you can't make era comparisons because any propagation you make from one era to the next is going to unjustly slight whichever era you think is weaker. I could just as easily say that defenses were better back then and that's why FG% is lower, but I can't because it's not true, and it's also not true that players are better today.

FG% was lower back then, and if you're going to say "Lebron would average so and so in the 60s" you have to make era adjustments, otherwise your giving Lebron an advantage he doesn't have.

No hold on, I'm not projecting assumption into this, I'm pointing out YOUR assumption. I gave a very plausible explanation for why the numbers are what they are that would make the action you're taking completely unreasonable - and I explicitly used language to make clear that I was just trying to get you to think about this more. Now, maybe the hypothesis I argued is right, maybe it's not.
The point is that it's crazy to start adjusting every factor back to how it was in a previous era without considering why you're doing it.

I'm doing it because his numbers based on his PER would come out to what I predicted. PER is a per possession but it's relative to the league, if Lebron is getting an assist % at so and so relative to league level in 2009 that number assist % would go down because it went down in 1962. FG% is the same deal. Your "hypothesis" that some of these changes are due to an increase in league play is semi-insulting to other players. You might not find it so, you might even find players from back then who agree with you, none the less it has nothing to do with what we're talking about, and I only pointed out because starting assumptions with "players back then were better or worse therefore no adjustment needs to be made" is bad science and as I said semi-insulting. But the adjustments are being made because under rules of the time that's what Lebron's numbers project to be.

If you want to argue what Lebron's numbers would actually be like in the 1960s, and not what his numbers now would look like under 1960s rules, then maybe a thread should be made, I'm sure some people would have good opinions on that.
Manuel Calavera
Starter
And1: 307

Post#131 » by Manuel Calavera » Wed Mar 3, 2010 12:16 am

Mayap wrote:Who cares about Lebron's goddamn PER....if you include Wilt's blocks he would have a PER of 45, and Lebron nor anyone else will ever, ever be able to match that.

Maybe ask TrueLAFan to do this for you, but it'd be very interesting if you could project an accurate PER number after adding in what Wilt's blocks might look like and what the assumed league average would be, and the same for steals.
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#132 » by Chronz » Wed Mar 3, 2010 3:45 am

Anyone care to plug in Brons stats into that given season.
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#133 » by Chronz » Wed Mar 3, 2010 4:04 am

BLKOUT wrote:He's not really maintaining his level of play though, he's just taking longer to achieve it.

Was he? I just assumed he was talking about MJ and Bron, as in identical PER's just one is sustaining it for more MPG.

NVM I thought you were relying on FG%, and knew nothing of APBRmetrics. Those are fine measures its just that when comparing across a time scale so far apart per game averages dont do the comparison justice, no matter what you think of pace you atleast have to measure its effect on rebounding. I agree its best to examine individual stat lines but PER helps with understanding where exactly those #'s stack up relative to the league averages.

Generally speaking Offensive RTG is the best measure of a players efficiency.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#134 » by blkout » Wed Mar 3, 2010 4:29 am

...no, that really doesn't follow, you can't spend more time to achieve efficiency, either you have it or you don't. A player who plays 10mpg can have 30 PER, because it's a possession-based stat, not game. If two players play at the same level of efficiency, and have a similarly large role within the team's offense (that is, the have the same usage rate), the player who plays more minutes does more to help his team win

But we weren't talking about maintaining offensive efficiency, we were talking about offensive production with the same levels of efficiency. My point was that if a player is giving the same production as another on the same efficiency in less minutes, he is more valuable.

I don't know what point you are trying to make about the 3s though. If on a given number of trips down the floor, they both end up scoring the same number of points, why does it matter what the breakdown of 3s and 2s is?

The point is that LeBron is taking 5 threes per game while shooting at 35%... if he took 5 FG's instead where he shoots over 50%, it would benefit both him and his team because he is far more accurate from inside. So essentially he is wasting 5 shots (or 4 ignoring the one he makes). That to me isn't efficient.

Maybe what you're trying to argue here is that LeBron is slightly more efficient from 2 than from 3,

Slightly? He's a .349 3 point shooter, compared to .503 from inside the three. That's like saying Brandon Jennings is a slightly worse shooter than Steve nash.

Pace adjustment is simply necessary to do. It is the reality of the NBA that some teams play 15% more possessions than others, it doesn't make all of the faster team's players 15% more valuable, which is what happens if you trust per game numbers instead of per possession.

To me it seems like you're penalizing guys who play on faster teams by that measure. But still, everyone is into pace adjustment these days, I haven't come around to it yet.

That really doesn't follow, because surely the threat of taking a 3 helps him score from 2

That's guesswork.

I'm really not sure why the timing of shots in the shot clock matters for efficiency. Shot locations, perhaps, because then you can account for the likelihood of an offensive rebound, which is lowest on long 2s.

That is silly. Outside shots are good even if they miss because it creates a chance for an offensive rebound?

The timing of the shot clock matters when it comes to efficiency because it is less efficient for a guy to be taking shots in the last few seconds of the clock as they are generally desperation shots to get something up before time expires... it's also less efficient to be taking them within the first 10 seconds, because it takes maybe 3 seconds to get the ball up the floor, so you're giving yourself 7 seconds to get a shot off. That seems rushed.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions

It's all good, if I was into pace adjustment I'd have picked up the same things.
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#135 » by Paydro70 » Wed Mar 3, 2010 6:28 am

BLKOUT wrote:
...no, that really doesn't follow, you can't spend more time to achieve efficiency, either you have it or you don't. A player who plays 10mpg can have 30 PER, because it's a possession-based stat, not game. If two players play at the same level of efficiency, and have a similarly large role within the team's offense (that is, the have the same usage rate), the player who plays more minutes does more to help his team win

But we weren't talking about maintaining offensive efficiency, we were talking about offensive production with the same levels of efficiency. My point was that if a player is giving the same production as another on the same efficiency in less minutes, he is more valuable.

I guess this is a definition of production/efficiency thing then. If two players use the same number of possessions with the same degree of efficiency, then they are equally productive on a per-possession basis. The difference, at that point, would be playing time.

MJ and LeBron use the same number of possessions, so I suppose the question is whether you think their efficiency is equal. Scoring-wise, it is, but you would have to decide whether LeBron's assists are more or less valuable (or "productive") than MJs extra shots. I think they're roughly equivalent.

I can only assume that you are basing your definition of "production" on per-game stats like ppg, but if you don't adjust for pace by using per-possession stats, you're just declaring that players on faster-paced teams are better, which I don't think reflects reality.

BLKOUT wrote:
I don't know what point you are trying to make about the 3s though. If on a given number of trips down the floor, they both end up scoring the same number of points, why does it matter what the breakdown of 3s and 2s is?

The point is that LeBron is taking 5 threes per game while shooting at 35%... if he took 5 FG's instead where he shoots over 50%, it would benefit both him and his team because he is far more accurate from inside. So essentially he is wasting 5 shots (or 4 ignoring the one he makes). That to me isn't efficient.

Maybe what you're trying to argue here is that LeBron is slightly more efficient from 2 than from 3,

Slightly? He's a .349 3 point shooter, compared to .503 from inside the three. That's like saying Brandon Jennings is a slightly worse shooter than Steve nash.

...but 3pters are worth 3 points, and 2pters are worth 2. By your standards, every 3pter is a waste, because everyone in the league shoots better from 2 than from 3. That is obviously false, 3pters are 1.5x more valuable than 2s, which is why it doesn't really hurt LeBron's efficiency to take them at a 35% clip... it's the equivalent of 52.5% from 2. You are actually shortchanging yourself, by the way, by forgetting to subtract the 3pt attempts from his FG%, LeBron actually shoots 56% from 2.

The point, though, is that while you can call it "guesswork," it makes perfect sense that LeBron take 3s even if they are, indeed, "slightly" less effective than his attempts from 2. LeBron's ability to shoot 3s punishes defenders who do not attempt to contest his outside shot, which in turn produces better 2pt opportunities. This is why you amalgamate all of them into eFG%, which illustrates that LeBron scores more efficiently than 87-88 MJ (slightly).

It simply doesn't make sense to assume that LeBron could take all of his shots from 2 if he wanted. You may as well demand that all of his shots be dunks, or at least around the rim, because those are the most efficient type of shot of all. The reality is that sometimes you must take the 3, and sometimes you choose to take the 3 because otherwise your defender need never cover you outside the line.

Put it a different way... if a guard is better driving right than left, is he "wasting" every possession that he goes left? I'm sure it's not hard to figure out the answer is "no," if he prevents defenders from completely ignoring the possibility of a left-side drive and clamping down on his better move.

BLKOUT wrote:

To me it seems like you're penalizing guys who play on faster teams by that measure. But still, everyone is into pace adjustment these days, I haven't come around to it yet.

Who's penalizing? You're placing them on an equal playing field... is every player on the Warriors automatically 15% more productive than every player on the Blazers? That's ridiculous, one team just takes shots faster and gets more opportunities to do things like score and rebound. This is why per-game stats are inherently inferior to per-possession stats.

BLKOUT wrote:

That is silly. Outside shots are good even if they miss because it creates a chance for an offensive rebound?

The timing of the shot clock matters when it comes to efficiency because it is less efficient for a guy to be taking shots in the last few seconds of the clock as they are generally desperation shots to get something up before time expires... it's also less efficient to be taking them within the first 10 seconds, because it takes maybe 3 seconds to get the ball up the floor, so you're giving yourself 7 seconds to get a shot off. That seems rushed.

You brought up shot locations. I tried to guess why that matters whatosever to a player's efficiency that an overall measure of how many of their shots go in (2s and 3s) does not tell us. What does it matter if one player makes more shots from the left side, instead of the right? To me, nothing.

The only thing I could think of is that missed shots from different places have a different chance of becoming offensive rebounds. Shots right at the basket and 3pters are dramatically more likely to be o-boarded than midrange 2s... so if two players are otherwise equal statistically, but one takes more midrange 2s, odds are he isn't quite as valuable because he is hurting his team's chances at o-boards. This is a small point, but it was the best I could do to guess why you thought shot locations are important to efficiency. Otherwise, we know exactly how "efficient" LeBron is on twos: 56%. A made two from 20 feet is just as many points as a made two from 5.

As for shot clock timing... sure, imagine, for a moment, that you have the stats, and do see that Jordan takes a significantly larger amount of shots at the end of the shot clock. This would not make him any more EFFICIENT. It might make you think he's BETTER, but that's not the same thing... "better" is a concept based on theoretical capabilities... i.e., "if MJ didn't have to take so many shot clock beaters, he'd be more efficient than LeBron." Or, "if Kobe were on a worse team, he'd put up just as many stats as LeBron." But that isn't the subject of this discussion, it's whose performance was ACTUALLY more efficient with the possessions they "used" (that is, what PER purports to measure, not theoretical capacity). It also should be said that to some extent, it isn't a player's fault if he manages to find a good shot before the last 5 seconds... shots made in the first 10 seconds are just as good as those made in the last 10.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#136 » by INKtastic » Sat Mar 6, 2010 1:04 pm

after last night's game, LeBron's PER is now over 32

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

giving him the highest PER since all relevant league stats were tracked. With just 19 games left, can he sustain it and finish the season with the first PER of 32=? Will the now 3 game lead in the loss column plus tiebreaker for best record in the league cause a let up in intensity towards the end of the season?
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#137 » by JordansBulls » Sat Mar 6, 2010 1:26 pm

lj4mvp wrote:after last night's game, LeBron's PER is now over 32

giving him the highest PER since all relevant league stats were tracked. With just 19 games left, can he sustain it and finish the season with the first PER of 32=? Will the now 3 game lead in the loss column plus tiebreaker for best record in the league cause a let up in intensity towards the end of the season?

One thing I tell you is that if he continues to hold the ball as much as he does that won't be good come playoff time. They will beat the opponent in the 1st round but if they play Boston or Orlando and he holds the ball as much as he does, that will take everyone else out of the game. Honestly I think he needs to let Mo run the show for a little bit. Since Mo's injury he has only had 1-2 games where he was decent. The rest of the guys are inconsistent because they hardly ever get the rock.
That was the whole point this year for getting more guys to help Lebron in Shaq and now Jamison. But if these guys are not getting the shots they need and not getting into the groove of things then that will be the Cavs downfall.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
KING JAMES1978
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#138 » by KING JAMES1978 » Sat Mar 6, 2010 2:37 pm

JordansBulls wrote:

One thing I tell you is that if he continues to hold the ball as much as he does that won't be good come playoff time. They will beat the opponent in the 1st round but if they play Boston or Orlando and he holds the ball as much as he does, that will take everyone else out of the game. Honestly I think he needs to let Mo run the show for a little bit. Since Mo's injury he has only had 1-2 games where he was decent. The rest of the guys are inconsistent because they hardly ever get the rock.
That was the whole point this year for getting more guys to help Lebron in Shaq and now Jamison. But if these guys are not getting the shots they need and not getting into the groove of things then that will be the Cavs downfall.

All the time you try to find stupid reasons to dispute LeBron's greatness!LeBron is a great teammate and all the players of his team get shots!
I saw last year Mo and Delonte with Orlando!The had very bad performances!
1988-1989 Jordan had also the ball in his hand all the time but his PER was 31.14.....

By the way at b-r Bron's PER is 31.94 not 32.03
http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... eason.html
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#139 » by NYKnick87 » Sat Mar 6, 2010 3:22 pm

JordansBulls wrote:

:lol:
Wade3Iverson
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#140 » by Wade3Iverson » Sat Mar 6, 2010 5:51 pm

JordansBulls wrote:

:rofl: are you really that insecure?
The best engine in the world is the vagina -- started with one finger, self-lubricating, takes any size piston and changes it's own oil every month. Pitty it's so temperamental

Return to The General Board