Have you seen a player that Improve this much???

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

raps4life~
General Manager
And1: 25

Re: Have you seen a player that Improve this much??? 

Post#21 » by raps4life~ » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:56 pm

Ito wrote:I thought it was Curry at first :lol:

eddy?
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#22 » by jax98 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:40 pm

raps4life~ wrote:eddy?

Could be if you replaced points per game with pounds of fat consumed per minute.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#23 » by magicman123 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:42 pm

great stats from rose, but is that whats best for the team? i dont really follow the bulls and noticed they have went downhill lately..im sure the salmons trade hurt them
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#24 » by BubbaTee » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:51 pm

cool007 wrote:
chrbal wrote:He is improving, but it happens fairly consistentally.

The ones that I find more impressive are like the "what do you know, hes good" ones. Gerald Wallace joining the Bobcats, Jermaine O'neal going to Indiana, heck even Michael Redds growth during his early years.

Redds career; year one-6 games, year two-key bench player, year three-6th man, year four- cornerstone of team.

You missed the point. I said IN SEASON - meaning within same season.

I find the in-season improvement more impressive anyways. Stuff like Gerald Wallace is as much from getting a new role/team, along with major increases in PT, as it is from actually improving one's game. A lot of the time you have to wait until the next season to see if it even sticks, ie whether you have a Gerald Wallace or a Bobby Simmons.

Rose's improvements haven't been from increased PT, he's been logging starter's minutes all year.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,964

Post#25 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:24 pm

Impressive. I haven't ever been blown away by him, but those numbers speak for themselves.
mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Post#26 » by mysticbb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:53 pm

He showed an impressive improvement on his jump shot over the course of the season. That is the main reason for his improved scoring efficiency. He still needs to get to the line more often, he has to figure out to get some more calls. His 3pt shot isn't as good as it seems in the last couple of games, but he definitely showed some improvements lately (not so much in the first couple of month).
His assists numbers are up, because his passing is getting more accurate, he had some problems to deliver the ball correctly earlier in the season, that made it harder for his teammates for a catch&shoot (well, besides Salmons, because even with an accurate pass Salmons would take rather the step back jumper than a set shot). His ball handling looks also a bit better, thus he doesn't turn the ball over as much as he did before.

Hopefully he can keep his level of improvement. As I mentioned improving the 3pt shot, getting to the line more often and working on his courtvision and decision making will not only make him a better player, but also will help the team a lot.
jax98
RealGM

Post#27 » by jax98 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:27 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:Impressive. I haven't ever been blown away by him, but those numbers speak for themselves.

You know, I've seen people say this before and I do see why. You really have to see a lot of Rose to really 'get' what he does. If you see him in a clutch situation, you'll notice he has something that very few players have. His game goes beyond the stats.

I think this may explain it the best:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago ... .html#more

There's an "it factor" that transcends stats. It's about when he accumulates them, how he carries the team, when he scores his points in bunches etc.. I simply think that puts him in the top 20. I don't think there are 20 other guys in the NBA whom I'd rather see have the ball when there is 5 minutes to go and my team is down by 6 points.
mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Post#28 » by mysticbb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:39 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:You know, I've seen people say this before and I do see why. You really have to see a lot of Rose to really 'get' what he does. If you see him in a clutch situation, you'll notice he has something that very few players have. His game goes beyond the stats.

I'm not sure that this is really a good argument. Like every young player his +/- stats aren't looking that great (APM -1.3). He shows some flashes of that certain "it" in crunch time situations, but overall he is obviously not as great as point guards like Nash, Billups or Paul in clutch situations.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#29 » by paul » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:54 pm

I understand that he was struggling with injury early and I get that he's improved as the season's progressed but he'd have wanted to, he was awful early.
jax98
RealGM

Post#30 » by jax98 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:57 am

mysticbb wrote:I'm not sure that this is really a good argument. Like every young player his +/- stats aren't looking that great (APM -1.3). He shows some flashes of that certain "it" in crunch time situations, but overall he is obviously not as great as point guards like Nash, Billups or Paul in clutch situations.

Billups I agree with. But I wouldn't write him off Nash and Paul's levels. Not now. Some months ago, sure. But he's taken games over a lot after fully recovering from his ankle. If you used the comparison in terms of all-around clutch play (not just scoring, but passing the ball and controlling the tempo in late-game situations), then I do agree. But from a strict scoring perspective, he's up there.

Overall, I think my point is still valid. Rose is a player that you kind of need to figure out. He's not a player you completely understand after just a few games. Most of it is likely due to the horrific make-up of the Bulls and him being asked to do different things on any given night, but even for Bulls fans Rose was a tough one to get a lead on. It wasn't until half-way through his rookie season we finally began to find out what kind of things he could do on a regular basis. Here in his second season, we're practically seing another player on many levels.

Trust me. Rose is hard to crack. It's not like he has obvious domination patterns like LeBron, Kobe and Wade, and you see it instantly - At least not yet. Hopefully that will come.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,303

Post#31 » by coldfish » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:30 am

Great timing.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#32 » by Jimmy76 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:36 am

jinx thread
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,103

Post#33 » by cool007 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:41 am

Jimmy76 wrote:jinx thread

Yes but I might have jinxed Rose but not the ENTIRE Bulls team. :cry:
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,169

Post#34 » by alucryts » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:11 am

haha watch rose fall off the last 10 games. it will be complete: westbrook thread pops up! westbrook down... rose thread up! rose down...... would be terrible lol
Jimmy76
RealGM

Post#35 » by Jimmy76 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:13 am

alucryts wrote:

haha watch rose fall off the last 10 games. it will be complete: westbrook thread pops up! westbrook down... rose thread up! rose down...... would be terrible lol

:lol:

westbrook has had a stomach bug of some kind so I doubt thatll pop up

at this point Rose has been the better player this year

that could change come playoffs but it remains to be seen how westbrook does with 0 playoff experience
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,169

Post#36 » by alucryts » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:50 am

Jimmy76 wrote:
alucryts wrote:

:lol:

westbrook has had a stomach bug of some kind so I doubt thatll pop up

at this point Rose has been the better player this year

that could change come playoffs but it remains to be seen how westbrook does with 0 playoff experience

itll be 0 playoff experience versus 0 chance to get more experience in the playoffs :lol:
Jimmy76
RealGM

Post#37 » by Jimmy76 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:54 am

alucryts wrote:experience

itll be 0 playoff experience versus 0 chance to get more experience in the playoffs :lol:[/quote]
not out of it yet :wink:
MarJJMar
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#38 » by MarJJMar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:21 am

Chicago Bulls:
"Where cherry-picking stats happens"

Whats the excuse this time for tonight?
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#39 » by blkout » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:07 pm

raps4life~
General Manager
And1: 25

Post#40 » by raps4life~ » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:09 pm

Delfino > Rose

Return to The General Board