KD and marketing

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Smash3
RealGM
And1: 9,931

KD and marketing 

Post#1 » by Smash3 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:54 pm

I feel like KD is a lot more marketable then Carmelo anthony because there is almost no dirt on him and he seems a genuinely nice guy like Dwight. The question is do you think he'll be one NBA's faces in the future? And even surpass Melo? Or will he just be like Anthony a notch below Kobe,Wade and Lebron when it comes to global recognition?
G: James Harden | Kris Dunn
G: Zach LaVine | Reggie Jackson
F: Josh Richardson | Nassir Little
F: Paul George | Otto Porter
C: Jakob Poeltl | Bismack Biyombo
joyner82
Banned User
And1: 3

Re: KD and marketing 

Post#2 » by joyner82 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Durant will be built up by the media because the rivalry of the next decade will be LeBron vs Durant. Just like Tiger Woods was built up by the media although Durant seems to be generally a nice guy. He's a total momma's boy however still and instead of going out to clubs he goes to the gym and posts on twitter..he's basically a 6'11 12 year old.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#3 » by wiff » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:01 pm

But he is a damn good 12 year old
Smash3
RealGM

Post#4 » by Smash3 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:08 pm

It's good to see that the 12 year old has his priorities straight lol

"I’m good in Oklahoma City. I love it here. I like going outside and seeing the neighbors and they say, ‘Hello.’ They make me cookies and give me Skittles. There are cities you may not get that.”
joyner82
Banned User

Post#5 » by joyner82 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm not hating on him at all..it's just the truth. Durant is by far my favorite player in the league, but he doesn't act like a normal 21 year old would. Much less one making 20+ mill per year. That is one of the reasons he has improved so much from year 1-3, instead of partying he stays in the gym.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,396

Post#6 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Considering he's a better player than Melo, and is looking like he'll be a top-3 talent very soon (if he isn't already), I'd say he's going to be very marketable.
TAI8
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#7 » by TAI8 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:14 pm

joyner82 wrote:I'm not hating on him at all..it's just the truth. Durant is by far my favorite player in the league, but he doesn't act like a normal 21 year old would. Much less one making 20+ mill per year. That is one of the reasons he has improved so much from year 1-3, instead of partying he stays in the gym.

Kobe must be a 12 year old too by your definition... /sarcasm
Fred Williamson
Lead Assistant
And1: 517

Post#8 » by Fred Williamson » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:18 pm

joyner82 wrote:I'm not hating on him at all..it's just the truth. Durant is by far my favorite player in the league, but he doesn't act like a normal 21 year old would. Much less one making 20+ mill per year. That is one of the reasons he has improved so much from year 1-3, instead of partying he stays in the gym.

:roll:

of course he's partying and bangin' chicks like there is no tomorrow.
Rah Fentons
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Rah Fentons » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:20 pm

joyner82 wrote:Durant will be built up by the media because the rivalry of the next decade will be LeBron vs Durant. Just like Tiger Woods was built up by the media although Durant seems to be generally a nice guy. He's a total momma's boy however still and instead of going out to clubs he goes to the gym and posts on twitter..he's basically a 6'11 12 year old.

So to be a mature adult , he must spend his nights in some club somewhere ???

I think I've heard it all now.
joyner82
Banned User

Post#10 » by joyner82 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Fred Williamson wrote:

:roll:

of course he's partying and bangin' chicks like there is no tomorrow.

Not sure if you're serious. He's on twitter/facebook 24/7 and tweets everything he does.
incontrol__
Veteran
And1: 12

Post#11 » by incontrol__ » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:22 pm

joyner82 wrote:Durant will be built up by the media because the rivalry of the next decade will be LeBron vs Durant. Just like Tiger Woods was built up by the media although Durant seems to be generally a nice guy. He's a total momma's boy however still and instead of going out to clubs he goes to the gym and posts on twitter..he's basically a 6'11 12 year old.

I mean ...I get what you're saying, but the idea that to be mature/an adult you have to go out clubbing and such? That's just stupid. :lol:
ThreeYearPlan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#12 » by ThreeYearPlan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:23 pm

Durant isn't marketable at all, he has a Tim Duncan type personality and needs some proactiv
joyner82
Banned User

Post#13 » by joyner82 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:26 pm

incontrol__ wrote:

I mean ...I get what you're saying, but the idea that to be mature/an adult you have to go out clubbing and such? That's just stupid. :lol:

Wasn't trying to say he wasn't mature/an adult. I was more or less saying he's skipping his irresponsible teens/early 20's and instead going straight from being a kid to be an adult which is completely against the norm, especially for someone in his position. He's in the mold of Duncan in this aspect which is most likely due to a shy/bland personality. This is the reason Duncan is nowhere near as big as some other players like Shaq/Dwight despite the fact he's been on top of the league for 10 years. Although Durant will be built up by the media due to the fact he and LeBron will be the rivalry of the future.
Collie
Bench Warmer
And1: 392

Post#14 » by Collie » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:27 pm

Yeah, KD doesn't really strike out to me as someone who has "it" when it comes to marketability. He doesn't have Wade's looks, or Lebron's charisma, or Kobe's swagger, there really isn't anything that stands out to me.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#15 » by INKtastic » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:27 pm

I hope he does have his head on straight as perception would lead you to believe. But you should know people were saying the same thing about Jordan early in his career. Jordan wouldn't go to clubs. He didn't want kids reading about him out drinking. Now we know in Jordan's case it was just an act. Pretty much the same thing with Tiger Woods. He had a clean boy image until it all fell apart overnight.

Hopefully Durant is really the way he portrays himself publicly.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
Smash3
RealGM

Post#16 » by Smash3 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:28 pm

That's what I was thinking even though he has the skills to be one of the best he might just end up like TD instead of Wade type when it comes to global recognition.
joyner82
Banned User

Post#17 » by joyner82 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:37 pm

Creepa wrote:That's what I was thinking even though he has the skills to be one of the best he might just end up like TD instead of Wade type when it comes to global recognition.

He is A LOT like Duncan when it comes to personality on a grand stage. For instance the kid goes to Texas during the summer and attends class where he went to back in 07. He slept on a blowup matress on the floor of his old roommate for 3 months while taking classes. He said it was too expensive to have someone bring up a real mattress...too expensive and he's making 20+ million per year at 21.

With that being said, the media will start hyping him due to the numbers he's putting up and he does have a flashy game. Also he's the only person with potential to rival LeBron.

QUE LEBRON FANS WITH NOONE CAN CHALLENGE LEBRON
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#18 » by wiff » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:53 pm

When Durant was still in Seattle I remember reading a quote from his mom. People were asking her about Kevin dating. She was aware that Kevin is a sought after guy, saying that Kevin is a handsome kid but he is very respectful of her living with him. So if Kevin were to be with a girl he doesn't take her home to momma.

He afirmed this in the article.

I'm not sure if his Mom still lives with him, but if she does I wouldn't be surprised to see him still go to a hotel or have an apartment on the side.

I think it is safe to say the kid has had a few beers and has banged a few women but he is focused on getting better at his craft. No one really know how the kid spends his time but he does tweet a ton so he can't be getting into that much trouble if he can't put his phone down.

And really it doesn't matter is he has banged 50,000,000,000 women he isn't married. He doesn't have to answer to anyone.
xxRoyalexx
Rookie
And1: 128

Post#19 » by xxRoyalexx » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:55 pm

By this logic practically every great player in the NBA's history has the mindset of a "12 year old." Damn those kids must be pretty mature.
devv83
Sixth Man
And1: 108

Post#20 » by devv83 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:55 pm

Kd, is great, but I just dont think he is gonna be a Icon like Dwade, Kobe, Bron

Kd is boring as hell. Plus dude's face is bleeding in every interview

I mean you got Kobe the Black mamba the assasin the star of the one of the most storied franchises in the the nba, you got lebron the global icon the new generation's star he is laughing having fun and dancing hanging with Jay-z, you got dwade, and dwight the clean marketable guys with no dirt on them at all. Then you got Melo his story is he was the bad apple of the bunch who cleaned up his act, and even he is not even close to Dwade, Kobe, Bron's, Dwights level of endorsements.

I dont know where KD would fit, I mean I just dont think his personality is marketable.

Return to The General Board