Retro Player of the Year Project

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,405

Re: Retro Player of the Year Project 

Post#1501 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Oct 5, 2014 9:53 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:So where do you find crunch time data for the modern NBA?
Does crunch time NBA data exist for the mid 1980s NBA and where would I find it?

I never saw clutchness in Kobe. I saw Kobe take and hit very difficult shots. I also saw Kobe take and miss very difficult shots. Having a player like Kobe is good as long as Kobe is not depriving teammates of better shots. If the team offense failed at least the Lakers had a chance with Kobe shooting difficult shots.

What I saw with Dennis Johnson is not something that I would be able to notice on a player that I did not see a lot of. The only players that much of played for the 1980s Celtics, 1990s to current Warriors and the dominant Lakers, Spurs, 76ers, Jazz, Kings and Bulls in the playoffs during the years when they were constantly playing in the playoffs.Even my mid 1990s Rockets sample is too small for me to say anything about clutchness. Dennis Johnson is the only player that I am saying that I saw shot better in clutch situations than normal situations. Some of the greats seemed better in clutch situations but they were good enough shooters in normal situations that they did not stand out to me as clearly improving their shooting in the clutch situations like DJ did.

With Dennis Johnson, DJ seemed to like taking crunch time shots but DJ was a poor jump shooter. On the Celtics DJ deferred to his teammates as he should.

DJ was much ore efficient going to the rim. Teams would let DJ shoot long mid range shots because every other Celtic on the floor was a more efficient scorer.

Most of the guards in the NBA shot open mid range shots better than DJ did. Watching DJ shoot mid range shots looked like watching a player choking. What I am saying about DJ's long mid range jump shooting with the Celtics is that he resembled a choker except when the game was on the line at which point he looked like an average NBA guard shooting a open jumper that should not be given to an average NBA guard. You can't give open mid range jumpers to average NBA guards because they will hit at a high percentage (unless we are talking about the 1960s and earlier ). There are guys like Rajon Rondo who shoot poorly enough that you can let them shoot long mid range shots until they knock down a few in a row.

Shooting an uncontested mid range shot is like free throw shooting in that it is all about fine motor control. I say that Celtics era DJ's fine motor control on long mid range shots improved from being bad to being normal when it was crunch time. Because DJ's was not defended as if he could shoot he often hit late in game jumpers while the defenses had to make a great effort to defend DJ's talented teammates.

Where do I find data to prove or disprove my belief that DJ reliably hit clutch jumpers while being a poor shooter of non-clutch jumpers?

82games was the first place to have it. Here's an example:

http://www.82games.com/04LAL6E.HTM

And here's an example list of league leaders:

http://www.82games.com/0809/CSORT11.HTM

The NBA now provides sortable Player Clutch data too:

http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerClutch ... PerPage=25

I don't believe any data like this exists for DJ's era.

Back to DJ and your observations: If you're willing to go out and say "I totally believe that most of what people say for most players is BS, but DJ is the one guy out of all players I've ever seen that I noticed this", that does lend more weight to what you're saying. Not saying I'd simply accept that, but someone who is aware of a phenomenon of bias in a particular direction, who then typically doesn't have such bias, saying they see an outlier is precisely how I'd expect we'd start identifying outliers.

When you began by just talking like basically everyone else who talks like this though, I lumped you in with everyone else. That might have been the wrong thing to do, or it might not. No way for me to truly know.

You talking about a possible reason for DJ's improvement being LESS defensive opposition in the clutch due to his unusual circumstances is interesting as well. Makes sense in theory. When I talk of DJ, I don't do it from first hand memory as I was a kid in his Celtics era stuff, and even my memories of the stars are fuzzy. Hence, when I talk of him, I'm thinking more along the lines of when he was the star of a champion, which was also the era where he talked of choking in the Game 7 finals. Makes sense that things could be very different when he was reduced to being a role player.

Last note: While logically it makes sense to think of an open shot as being as easy as a free throw, that's not what we see. A pull up jumper, if being done correctly, should be exactly this circumstance. In general guys shooting those are much less effective than a guy who is set and waiting for a pass who then takes the open shot (if the pass is good).

Of course, a player can get set to accept a pass & shoot from midrange too, so I'm not saying that doesn't exist. Just that it's not simply about being open.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,678

Post#1502 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:45 am

My guess at what happened:
DJ was fiercely competitive. DJ wants to take the big shots and be the man. DJ was the main man for about 2 years a few years before he got to Boston.

DJ was was not the point guard in Seattle. Pheonix had no point guard. Kyle Macy was sort of the point guard but everybody handled the ball including their good ball handling centers.

DJ was came into the league as a superior athlete who attacked the rim rather than as a finesse player. DJ was probably used cutting to the basket without the ball.

in DJ's first year in Boston DJ is no longer looked to for scoring and is sharing point guard responsibilities with Gerald Henderson. DJ's athleticism is declining slightly.

DJ is expected to defer to better scorers.

A player who has to think about whether or not to shoot is going to miss his shot if he decides to take the shot.

In DJ's second year Hendeerson is gone and DJ becomes the man who brings the ball up the court and directs the offense. DJ is no longer playing off the ball. If Bird could dribble like Lebron then Bird would have been the point guard because Bird was the best passer. Bird lacked quickness so DJ had the ball in his hand at the start of most offensive possessions.

The defenses wanted to pack the paint to stop Bird, Parish and McHale. So there DJ is with the ball and his defender sagging away from DJ into the paint. DJ is put in an awkward situation. DJ is supposed to defer to the better scorers. DJ's offensive strength is quick slashes to the rim but DJ is sitting there with a live dribble looking at a packed in defense but with plenty of space to shoot an uncontested deep mid range shot. Should DJ shoot?

Shooting deep mid range shots off his own dribble was never DJ's game. Some people say if they give you an open shot you have to take it. But DJ is on the floor with 4 efficient scorers so he should not take the shot.

So I think that thinking about whether to shoot is what put the hitch in DJ's shot for most of the game. With the game on the line DJ's desire to take the big shot takes over and DJ just shoots rather than think about whether to shoot.

That is my theory about how DJ ends up performing better in the clutch than during the non clutch parts of the game.
Hhkdrg
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#1503 » by Hhkdrg » Thu Jan 8, 2015 1:31 am

Very nice as well,....very generous, good forums as well.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
chargeur Samsung Galaxy note 4 housse Galaxy note 4
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#1504 » by old rem » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:12 pm

How did Oscar Robertson not get the year he averaged a triple double while scoring 32 ppg?
CENSORED... No comment.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,667

Post#1505 » by penbeast0 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:25 pm

Maybe because it's the same year that Wilt went for 50/25 and Bellamy went for 32/19 as a rookie . . . and the Celtics dominated them all with defense despite Cousy tailing off into part time play (sharing duties with KC Jones). Russell went for 19/24 that year too . . . the highest stat season in NBA history. MVP went to Russell despite all the flashy numbers and of course the Celtics won it all. Oscar was certainly top 5 in the league, probably 3rd best player, but hard to be better than Wilt and Russell.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#1506 » by SideshowBob » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:25 pm

Would it be cool if I started the 15 discussion thread now? We're entering the RS homestretch and I think there's a lot to talk about regarding team/player playoff outlook and it'd just be cleaner to contain it in a single thread rather than popping off a whole bunch of em.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#1507 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:28 pm

SideshowBob wrote:Would it be cool if I started the 15 discussion thread now? We're entering the RS homestretch and I think there's a lot to talk about regarding team/player playoff outlook and it'd just be cleaner to contain it in a single thread rather than popping off a whole bunch of em.

Only if you bring the stats :lol:
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
RSCD3_
RealGM

Post#1508 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:32 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:My guess at what happened:
DJ was fiercely competitive. DJ wants to take the big shots and be the man. DJ was the main man for about 2 years a few years before he got to Boston.

DJ was was not the point guard in Seattle. Pheonix had no point guard. Kyle Macy was sort of the point guard but everybody handled the ball including their good ball handling centers.

DJ was came into the league as a superior athlete who attacked the rim rather than as a finesse player. DJ was probably used cutting to the basket without the ball.

in DJ's first year in Boston DJ is no lingered looked to for scoring and is sharing point guard responsibilities with Gerald Henderson. DJ's athleticism is declining slightly.

DJ is expected to defer to better scorers.

A player who has to think about whether or not to shoot is going to miss his shot if he decides to take the shot.

In DJ's second year Hendeerson is gone and DJ becomes the man who brings the ball up the court and directs the offense. DJ is no longer playing off the ball. If Bird could dribble like Lebron then Bird would have been the point guard because Bird was the best passer. Bird lacked quickness so DJ had the ball in his hand at the start of most offensive possessions.

The defenses wanted to pack the paint to stop Bird, Parish and McHale. So there DJ is with the ball and his defender sagging away from DJ into the paint. DJ is put in an awkward situation. DJ is supposed to defer to the better scores. DJ's offensive strength is quick slashes to the rim but DJ is sitting there with a live dribble looking at a packed in defense but with plenty of space to shoot an uncontested deep mid range shot. Should DJ shoot?

Shooting deep mid range shots off his own dribble was never DJ's game. Some people say if they give you an open shot you have to take it. But DJ is on the floor with 4 efficient scorers so he should not take the shot.

So I think that thinking about whether to shoot is what put the hitch in DJ's shot for most of the game. With the game on the line DJ's desire to take the big shot takes over and DJ just shoots rather than think about whether to shoot.

That is my theory about how DJ ends up performing better in the clutch than during the non clutch parts of the game.

If only you could find meaningful conjecture like this on tv
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#1509 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:47 am

SideshowBob wrote:Would it be cool if I started the 15 discussion thread now? We're entering the RS homestretch and I think there's a lot to talk about regarding team/player playoff outlook and it'd just be cleaner to contain it in a single thread rather than popping off a whole bunch of em.

Glad you're interested. I was planning to put up the thread during my spring break which will be not next week but the week after. But there's something we could talk on here about right now:

How would it be if we expanded it out and didn't simply do POY but other all-season awards as well?

The next level would be to do OPOY & DPOY.

If we got really crazy we'd do the rest of the traditional awards - unless we decided to reject that model and make awards of our own.

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#1510 » by bondom34 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:53 am

Doctor MJ wrote:

Glad you're interested. I was planning to put up the thread during my spring break which will be not next week but the week after. But there's something we could talk on here about right now:

How would it be if we expanded it out and didn't simply do POY but other all-season awards as well?

If we got really crazy we'd do the rest of the traditional awards - unless we decided to reject that model and make awards of our own.

I'd be interested in this too, but I would be more interested in the other awards vs. OPOY and DPOY. Rookie, MIP, COY, EOY would be kinda cool to me.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
RSCD3_
RealGM

Post#1511 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:56 am

Doctor MJ wrote:

Sounds promising but id like to have seperate threads for standard RPOY discussion and the others

SideshowBob
General Manager

Post#1512 » by SideshowBob » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

I think we've discussed it before and it's a great idea. My only worry would be the lack of motivation/energy as you said in the other thread.

Breaking it down to OPOY & DPOY would probably help gain a more cerebral view on the overall POY discussions as well.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#1513 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Apr 8, 2015 8:06 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:Sounds promising but id like to have seperate threads for standard RPOY discussion and the others

Which threads do you (and others) want? I'm reluctant to have separate discussion threads for all these different awards. We could have separate voting threads if people wanted, but just during the playoffs I'm thinking something more limited. So here are some proposals. Please champion one, or something else entirely:

Option 1
General All-Season Award Discussion thread

Option 2
All-Season POY Discussion thread
All-Season Other Award Discussion thread

Options 3
All-Season POY/OPOY/DPOY Discussion thread

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#1514 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Apr 8, 2015 8:09 pm

Also if we really start going this route, it makes sense to seriously consider naming these awards. Options that come to mind to me:

1) The "All-Season" awards, like I used here. It's accurate and unassuming.

2) The "RealGM" awards. The issue with that is that this isn't even on the General Board, so it's really the RealGM PC board awards, which doesn't sound nearly as cool.

3) The "Ballon d'Orange" awards. Play off the soccer award. I'm personally partial to this, but in the past I don't recall people responding to it, and I'm not going to force it on people. So unless people like this, I'll probably stick to one of the first two options.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#1515 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Apr 8, 2015 8:10 pm

btw, planning to start the threads on this in the next couple days.

SideshowBob
General Manager

Post#1516 » by SideshowBob » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:33 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
RSCD3_ wrote:Sounds promising but id like to have seperate threads for standard RPOY discussion and the others

Which threads do you (and others) want? I'm reluctant to have separate discussion threads for all these different awards. We could have separate voting threads if people wanted, but just during the playoffs I'm thinking something more limited. So here are some proposals. Please champion one, or something else entirely:

Option 1

Option 2

Options 3

I'm leaning Option 2 for now. Not sure about the names.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#1517 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:59 pm

SideshowBob wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Option 1

Option 2

Options 3

I'm leaning Option 2 for now. Not sure about the names.

Me too.

RSCD3_
RealGM

Post#1518 » by RSCD3_ » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:18 pm

I could have swore that I had a post agreeing with option 2 here lol

But anyways I agree

semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#1519 » by semi-sentient » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:15 am

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#1520 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:25 am

semi-sentient wrote:Updated: http://rpoy.dolem.com

Awesome! Thanks sentient!

Return to Player Comparisons