yardbarker

Retro Player of the Year Project

Moderators: tsherkin, nate33, rrravenred, penbeast0, Doctor MJ

Post#1321 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Mon May 30, 2011 5:44 pm by Doctor MJ

SaveOurBullets wrote:I read through this a while back and I have to say, awesome work. It actually inspired me to do my own 'retro player' project on a different site for the NFL, which is slowly but surely in the process of being done right now.

Influence, you has it.

Very cool. Had no idea. From a quick google search I presume that this "Retro Quarterback" project is it: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... 9#10563476

I'll have to peruse it at length. My first thoughts are:

1) It's probably wise you didn't attempt to do an all player Retro POY project. So hard to compare players from different positions in football.

2) Making the cutoff so that it only includes 6 of Otto Graham's 10 pro years had to be a tough decision. Really kills his chance to be POY share leader. You picked a logical point thought with the NFL/AAFC merger, and I'm just so glad you don't limit yourself to the Super Bowl era - so lame, we'd essentially lose Russll, Wilt, West, and Oscar if we made a similar division in basketball.
Doctor MJ

Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 1,005

Post#1322 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Mon May 30, 2011 5:46 pm by Doctor MJ

penbeast0 wrote:We will be redoing the top 100 list after the finals are over. Lot of interest from many people, hope you are on board for it too.

It's the social event of the season! I'll be there AND be square.
Doctor MJ

Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 1,005

Post#1323 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Mon May 30, 2011 10:25 pm by SaveOurBullets

Doctor MJ wrote:
SaveOurBullets wrote:I read through this a while back and I have to say, awesome work. It actually inspired me to do my own 'retro player' project on a different site for the NFL, which is slowly but surely in the process of being done right now.

Influence, you has it.

Very cool. Had no idea. From a quick google search I presume that this "Retro Quarterback" project is it: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... 9#10563476

I'll have to peruse it at length. My first thoughts are:

1) It's probably wise you didn't attempt to do an all player Retro POY project. So hard to compare players from different positions in football.

2) Making the cutoff so that it only includes 6 of Otto Graham's 10 pro years had to be a tough decision. Really kills his chance to be POY share leader. You picked a logical point thought with the NFL/AAFC merger, and I'm just so glad you don't limit yourself to the Super Bowl era - so lame, we'd essentially lose Russll, Wilt, West, and Oscar if we made a similar division in basketball.

The amount of variables pretty much narrowed it down to one position. I wanted to originally do it with defensive players, but with quarterbacks everything is just so much more accessible. The stats are easy to interpret and the knowledge base is much wider in relation to QBs. Positional bias is one of the things that irritates me about the way people judge football, so that was pretty much the only option.

1950 made the most sense because that's around the time the passing game started to evolve. You're only leaving out Baugh and Luckman and ther era is too hard to read anyway. Besides, I'm a Baltimore guy - I'm not leaving Unitas out of this.

The only downside of it is that (somehow) the NFL, despite being by far the most popular sport in America, doesn't have a message board that even comes close to the sheer size of RealGM, so it's not as elaborate or detailed and judge participation is kind of iffy at times. Part of that is me being lazy, too. I started in January and we're only up to 1965. But the results are what matter most, so I'm happy with it.
^I agree
SaveOurBullets
Rookie
And1: 76

Post#1324 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Wed Jun 8, 2011 8:23 pm by TMACFORMVP

I regret not completing this project. Became busy for a stretch, and never really came back after that. Just looking at the voting threads, the discussion looked awesome, great job guys. Will definitely be pumped to get back into the re-do of the Top 100 list.
TMACFORMVP
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 104

Post#1325 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:21 pm by Catch

lol @ Kobe not winning once, especially from 06-08. Typical.
Catch
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#1326 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:54 am by ronnymac2

lol @ Catch the fanboy not lasting through the month. Typical.
#TeamTrueAthELITE
ronnymac2

Head Coach
And1: 287

Post#1327 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:44 pm by JordansBulls

ronnymac2 wrote:lol @ Catch the fanboy not lasting through the month. Typical.

:lol:
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 382

Post#1328 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:48 pm by Ace24

lol @ these clowns JB and ronnymac. Haters gonna hate.
Ace24
Ballboy

Post#1329 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Fri Jul 1, 2011 12:07 am by Optimism Prime

Ace24 wrote:lol @ these clowns JB and ronnymac. Haters gonna hate.

Catch, is that you?!
Hello ladies. Look at your posts. Now back to mine. Now back at your posts now back to MINE. Sadly, they aren't mine. But if your posts started using Optimism™, they could sound like mine. This post is now diamonds.

I'm on a horse.
Optimism Prime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3

Post#1330 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:34 pm by Dr Positivity

The dolem page is down for me
When grading, I aspire to the objective validity of Olympic judging. If you can reliably, consistently grade a diver or figure skater you can a basketball player's talent.
Dr Positivity

RealGM
And1: 894

Post#1331 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:54 am by semi-sentient

I moved over to a new web host over the weekend so there may have been some downtime due to DNS propagation. Whatever the case it's temporary and should be back up. I also created a subdomain to make it easier to remember.

http://rpoy.dolem.com
http://lytebox.com | OurThaiGuide.com
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 434

Post#1332 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:04 pm by NO-KG-AI

I think we might have discussed it, and I know I rarely make it all the way through most projects, but since I respect you guys so much, I think you all should do a retro DPOY thing, because we have DPOY winners, but I'd love to see a sort of DPOY "shares", and let guys like Tim Duncan get their real due, since he's been hosed.

I love the Dolem page, and though I disagree with some of the years, I really like MVP shares as a gauge because I think it tends to balance out, unless a guy is incredibly lucky to always have good support, or is the opposite.

Anyway, this was a great project, now go do a DPOY one after the realGM top 100 :D
rrravenred wrote:Stick that in your superior advanced-calculus pipe, and smoke it, you stat-headed Garnett stan...
NO-KG-AI
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 688

Post#1333 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:55 pm by ThaRegul8r

NO-KG-AI wrote:I think we might have discussed it, and I know I rarely make it all the way through most projects, but since I respect you guys so much, I think you all should do a retro DPOY thing, because we have DPOY winners, but I'd love to see a sort of DPOY "shares", and let guys like Tim Duncan get their real due, since he's been hosed.

I love the Dolem page, and though I disagree with some of the years, I really like MVP shares as a gauge because I think it tends to balance out, unless a guy is incredibly lucky to always have good support, or is the opposite.

Anyway, this was a great project, now go do a DPOY one after the realGM top 100 :D

Not enough people care about defense to do this. The only reason people take an interest in defense is to use it as a point to prop up their favorite player against another poster's favorite player (even though they'll take the offense over the defense without hesitation), not because there's a genuine appreciation for defense. (As evidenced by the fact that defensive-minded teams don't do very well ratings-wise, are described as "boring" while offensive-minded teams are "fun to watch," etc.)
THE REGULATOR
"I'm not the showstopper, I'm RUNNING the show!"

I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters
ThaRegul8r
Analyst
And1: 264

Post#1334 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:33 am by drza

NO-KG-AI wrote:I think we might have discussed it, and I know I rarely make it all the way through most projects, but since I respect you guys so much, I think you all should do a retro DPOY thing, because we have DPOY winners, but I'd love to see a sort of DPOY "shares", and let guys like Tim Duncan get their real due, since he's been hosed.

Good idea. Frankly, I'd be interested in doing one for both defense AND for offense. Would really help focus and specify exactly how a player is impacting one side of the ball.
drza
Starter
And1: 78

Post#1335 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:15 pm by Hitman33

Interesting that Magic won only once.

Great project guys.
Namaste
Hitman33
Bench Warmer
And1: 40

Post#1336 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Sun Oct 2, 2011 10:28 am by PTB Fan

Is there an open place to join this project?
PTB Fan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#1337 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Tue Oct 4, 2011 9:57 pm by RandomKnight

There are plenty of smart and insightful things written on this sight. As with life in general those bright things are the exception.

There are mountains of dumb, blind things said on this sight. This RPOTY project is one of the most partisan and phony of all. I am speaking of the list itself, not the posts. I am sure there are some good posts. Figured someone ought to point it out. Just lame.
RandomKnight
Junior

Post#1338 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Wed Oct 5, 2011 2:55 am by Doormatt

site, not sight. if youre going to insult something, at least do it write. :)
#doorgek
Doormatt

RealGM
And1: 768

Post#1339 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Wed Oct 5, 2011 9:39 pm by RandomKnight

Doormatt wrote:site, not sight. if youre going to insult something, at least do it write. :)

Touche. I make those kinds of mistakes, even though I know better, too often.

PS I am assuming your faux pas was in jest.

By the way, we registered within a couple of days of each other. You have out-posted me 10 to 1.
RandomKnight
Junior

Post#1340 Re: Retro Player of the Year Project
Thu Oct 6, 2011 5:13 am by Doormatt

cool story bro?
#doorgek
Doormatt

RealGM
And1: 768

PreviousNext

Return to Player Comparisons