Retro Player of the Year Project

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,421

Re: Retro Player of the Year Project 

Post#1321 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 30, 2011 10:44 pm

SaveOurBullets wrote:I read through this a while back and I have to say, awesome work. It actually inspired me to do my own 'retro player' project on a different site for the NFL, which is slowly but surely in the process of being done right now.

Influence, you has it.

Very cool. Had no idea. From a quick google search I presume that this "Retro Quarterback" project is it: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... 9#10563476

I'll have to peruse it at length. My first thoughts are:

1) It's probably wise you didn't attempt to do an all player Retro POY project. So hard to compare players from different positions in football.

2) Making the cutoff so that it only includes 6 of Otto Graham's 10 pro years had to be a tough decision. Really kills his chance to be POY share leader. You picked a logical point thought with the NFL/AAFC merger, and I'm just so glad you don't limit yourself to the Super Bowl era - so lame, we'd essentially lose Russll, Wilt, West, and Oscar if we made a similar division in basketball.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,421

Post#1322 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 30, 2011 10:46 pm

penbeast0 wrote:We will be redoing the top 100 list after the finals are over. Lot of interest from many people, hope you are on board for it too.

It's the social event of the season! I'll be there AND be square.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
SaveOurBullets
Rookie
And1: 103

Post#1323 » by SaveOurBullets » Tue May 31, 2011 3:25 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
SaveOurBullets wrote:I read through this a while back and I have to say, awesome work. It actually inspired me to do my own 'retro player' project on a different site for the NFL, which is slowly but surely in the process of being done right now.

Influence, you has it.

Very cool. Had no idea. From a quick google search I presume that this "Retro Quarterback" project is it: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... 9#10563476

I'll have to peruse it at length. My first thoughts are:

1) It's probably wise you didn't attempt to do an all player Retro POY project. So hard to compare players from different positions in football.

2) Making the cutoff so that it only includes 6 of Otto Graham's 10 pro years had to be a tough decision. Really kills his chance to be POY share leader. You picked a logical point thought with the NFL/AAFC merger, and I'm just so glad you don't limit yourself to the Super Bowl era - so lame, we'd essentially lose Russll, Wilt, West, and Oscar if we made a similar division in basketball.

The amount of variables pretty much narrowed it down to one position. I wanted to originally do it with defensive players, but with quarterbacks everything is just so much more accessible. The stats are easy to interpret and the knowledge base is much wider in relation to QBs. Positional bias is one of the things that irritates me about the way people judge football, so that was pretty much the only option.

1950 made the most sense because that's around the time the passing game started to evolve. You're only leaving out Baugh and Luckman and ther era is too hard to read anyway. Besides, I'm a Baltimore guy - I'm not leaving Unitas out of this.

The only downside of it is that (somehow) the NFL, despite being by far the most popular sport in America, doesn't have a message board that even comes close to the sheer size of RealGM, so it's not as elaborate or detailed and judge participation is kind of iffy at times. Part of that is me being lazy, too. I started in January and we're only up to 1965. But the results are what matter most, so I'm happy with it.
^I agree
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#1324 » by TMACFORMVP » Thu Jun 9, 2011 1:23 am

I regret not completing this project. Became busy for a stretch, and never really came back after that. Just looking at the voting threads, the discussion looked awesome, great job guys. Will definitely be pumped to get back into the re-do of the Top 100 list.
Catch
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#1325 » by Catch » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:21 pm

lol @ Kobe not winning once, especially from 06-08. Typical.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,879

Post#1326 » by ronnymac2 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:54 am

lol @ Catch the fanboy not lasting through the month. Typical.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#1327 » by JordansBulls » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:44 am

ronnymac2 wrote:lol @ Catch the fanboy not lasting through the month. Typical.

:lol:
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Ace24
Banned User

Post#1328 » by Ace24 » Fri Jul 1, 2011 4:48 am

lol @ these clowns JB and ronnymac. Haters gonna hate.
Optimism Prime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31

Post#1329 » by Optimism Prime » Fri Jul 1, 2011 5:07 am

Ace24 wrote:lol @ these clowns JB and ronnymac. Haters gonna hate.

Catch, is that you?!
Hello ladies. Look at your posts. Now back to mine. Now back at your posts now back to MINE. Sadly, they aren't mine. But if your posts started using Optimism™, they could sound like mine. This post is now diamonds.

I'm on a horse.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,521

Post#1330 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:34 pm

The dolem page is down for me
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#1331 » by semi-sentient » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:54 pm

I moved over to a new web host over the weekend so there may have been some downtime due to DNS propagation. Whatever the case it's temporary and should be back up. I also created a subdomain to make it easier to remember.

http://rpoy.dolem.com
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,032
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#1332 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:04 pm

I think we might have discussed it, and I know I rarely make it all the way through most projects, but since I respect you guys so much, I think you all should do a retro DPOY thing, because we have DPOY winners, but I'd love to see a sort of DPOY "shares", and let guys like Tim Duncan get their real due, since he's been hosed.

I love the Dolem page, and though I disagree with some of the years, I really like MVP shares as a gauge because I think it tends to balance out, unless a guy is incredibly lucky to always have good support, or is the opposite.

Anyway, this was a great project, now go do a DPOY one after the realGM top 100 :D
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#1333 » by ThaRegul8r » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:55 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I think we might have discussed it, and I know I rarely make it all the way through most projects, but since I respect you guys so much, I think you all should do a retro DPOY thing, because we have DPOY winners, but I'd love to see a sort of DPOY "shares", and let guys like Tim Duncan get their real due, since he's been hosed.

I love the Dolem page, and though I disagree with some of the years, I really like MVP shares as a gauge because I think it tends to balance out, unless a guy is incredibly lucky to always have good support, or is the opposite.

Anyway, this was a great project, now go do a DPOY one after the realGM top 100 :D

Not enough people care about defense to do this. The only reason people take an interest in defense is to use it as a point to prop up their favorite player against another poster's favorite player (even though they'll take the offense over the defense without hesitation), not because there's a genuine appreciation for defense. (As evidenced by the fact that defensive-minded teams don't do very well ratings-wise, are described as "boring" while offensive-minded teams are "fun to watch," etc.)
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#1334 » by drza » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:33 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I think we might have discussed it, and I know I rarely make it all the way through most projects, but since I respect you guys so much, I think you all should do a retro DPOY thing, because we have DPOY winners, but I'd love to see a sort of DPOY "shares", and let guys like Tim Duncan get their real due, since he's been hosed.

Good idea. Frankly, I'd be interested in doing one for both defense AND for offense. Would really help focus and specify exactly how a player is impacting one side of the ball.
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
Hitman33
Bench Warmer
And1: 97

Post#1335 » by Hitman33 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Interesting that Magic won only once.

Great project guys.
PTB Fan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#1336 » by PTB Fan » Sun Oct 2, 2011 3:28 pm

Is there an open place to join this project?
RandomKnight
Junior

Post#1337 » by RandomKnight » Wed Oct 5, 2011 2:57 am

There are plenty of smart and insightful things written on this sight. As with life in general those bright things are the exception.

There are mountains of dumb, blind things said on this sight. This RPOTY project is one of the most partisan and phony of all. I am speaking of the list itself, not the posts. I am sure there are some good posts. Figured someone ought to point it out. Just lame.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#1338 » by Doormatt » Wed Oct 5, 2011 7:55 am

site, not sight. if youre going to insult something, at least do it write. :)
#doorgek
RandomKnight
Junior

Post#1339 » by RandomKnight » Thu Oct 6, 2011 2:39 am

Doormatt wrote:site, not sight. if youre going to insult something, at least do it write. :)

Touche. I make those kinds of mistakes, even though I know better, too often.

PS I am assuming your faux pas was in jest.

By the way, we registered within a couple of days of each other. You have out-posted me 10 to 1.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#1340 » by Doormatt » Thu Oct 6, 2011 10:13 am

cool story bro?
#doorgek

Return to Player Comparisons