Retro POY '99-00 (Voting Complete)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Silver Bullet
General Manager
And1: 8

Re: Retro POY '99-00 (Ends Wed. morning) 

Post#101 » by Silver Bullet » Wed May 19, 2010 3:25 am

Baller 24 wrote:didn't he just make one to give them a lead lol.

so you taking the bet ?
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#102 » by Baller 24 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:40 am

I didn't take any bet, I thought he did make that jump shot to put them up with less than 3 minutes left to make it a 91-90 lead IIRC.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
Silver Bullet
General Manager

Post#103 » by Silver Bullet » Wed May 19, 2010 3:42 am

Baller 24 wrote:I didn't take any bet, I thought he did make that jump shot to put them up with less than 3 minutes left to make it a 91-90 lead IIRC.

:king:

I know - that's when I made the bet. Crunch time is kryptonite for KG.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,085
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#104 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed May 19, 2010 3:46 am

So that one to put them up wasn't crunch time? Or would you have shifted the goalposts again? His team won, that's all that mattered when he was on sorry teams, so that's all that matters now :)
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Silver Bullet
General Manager

Post#105 » by Silver Bullet » Wed May 19, 2010 3:47 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:So that one to put them up wasn't crunch time? Or would you have shifted the goalposts again? His team won, that's all that mattered when he was on sorry teams, so that's all that matters now :)

nope -

I made the bet after that jumper - there was no goalpost.

And I was right - you've got nothing here...
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#106 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed May 19, 2010 3:52 am

Garnett singlehandedly won that game, no one else could have made that shot.

Anyway, to stop derailing the thread, I'm not feeling the Malone love at all, I mean, if you value 5-10 games that high, I guess I can see putting him over KG because he had a good first round, but I really can't see justification for him over Zo.

I can't see Payton over Zo or KG, because it's clear his defense wasn't even on the level of a dominant guard defensively, much less a big.

:dontknow:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#107 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed May 19, 2010 3:52 am

Garnett singlehandedly won that game, no one else could have made that shot.

Anyway, to stop derailing the thread, I'm not feeling the Malone love at all, I mean, if you value 5-10 games that high, I guess I can see putting him over KG because he had a good first round, but I really can't see justification for him over Zo.

I can't see Payton over Zo or KG, because it's clear his defense wasn't even on the level of a dominant guard defensively, much less a big.

:dontknow:
Silver Bullet
General Manager

Post#108 » by Silver Bullet » Wed May 19, 2010 3:53 am

by the way, did we discuss Reggie Miller at any point in either thread ?

How about Sheed ?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#109 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed May 19, 2010 3:55 am

Silver Bullet wrote:by the way, did we discuss Reggie Miller at any point in either thread ?

How about Sheed ?

Someone brought up Reggie, no one talked about Sheed because it's ridiculous.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#110 » by ronnymac2 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:03 am

Silver Bullet wrote:by the way, did we discuss Reggie Miller at any point in either thread ?

How about Sheed ?

If you were reading the thread, you wouldn't have asked that question...

Say what you want about Garnett.....he just grabbed more rebounds than the big bad best C in the game today. Went into the big bad center's house and took two games......
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,093

Post#111 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Wed May 19, 2010 4:05 am

What is up with the ridiculous KG hate?

First off, the guy is well past his prime and everything he's doing at this point in his career is just gravy.

Second, what the hell does what he does in a game this season have anything to do with the 99-00 season?

Bush league.
Silver Bullet
General Manager

Post#112 » by Silver Bullet » Wed May 19, 2010 4:08 am

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:What is up with the ridiculous KG hate?

First off, the guy is well past his prime and everything he's doing at this point in his career is just gravy.

Second, what the hell does what he does in a game this season have anything to do with the 99-00 season?

Bush league.

it doesn't. It was an off-topic comment.
Silver Bullet
General Manager

Post#113 » by Silver Bullet » Wed May 19, 2010 4:14 am

Anyway, my preliminary rankings:
1. Shaq
2. Iverson
3. Mourning
4. Duncan
5. Reggie Miller

HM:
Payton
Kobe
KG
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#114 » by Baller 24 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:20 am

Not to high on Reggie even though he was great, I believe he deserves an HM, but definitely not individually better than the likes of KG, Payton, or Kobe.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
Manuel Calavera
Starter
And1: 307

Post#115 » by Manuel Calavera » Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 am

Alright the arguments have convinced me that putting Allen Iverson #1 was a mistake, so I've decided to remove him entirely and replace him with Shaq (I forgot how good he was seeing as how I blacked out the whole season - Blazer fan). I've also decided to move Garnett above Payton in my list, everything else I think is set in stone.

1. Shaq
2. Mourning
3. Malone
4. Garnett
5. Payton

With Duncan as an HM
Silver Bullet
General Manager

Post#116 » by Silver Bullet » Wed May 19, 2010 4:24 am

Baller 24 wrote:Not to high on Reggie even though he was great, I believe he deserves an HM, but definitely not individually better than the likes of KG, Payton, or Kobe.

Why ?

Just purely boxscore stats ?
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#117 » by Baller 24 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:25 am

Silver Bullet wrote:
Why ?

No, but I believe the Larry Bird's coaching had a lot to do with the Pacers success from '98 to '00, and furthermore, the emergence of Jalen Rose that entire season was pretty big, it was a two-man perimeter oriented game. And based on box scores, Reggie gets an advantage as his game was up'ed in the playoffs. IMHO there is absolutely no way to argue Reggie over Payton and Garnett in the RS for sure, and even in the playoffs Payton almost single handedly got them passed the Jazz, had a TS% of even 61.
Silver Bullet
General Manager

Post#118 » by Silver Bullet » Wed May 19, 2010 4:27 am

Baller 24 wrote:
Silver Bullet wrote:
Why ?

No, but I believe the Larry Bird's coaching had a lot to do with the Pacers success from '98 to '00, and furthermore, the emergence of Jalen Rose that entire season was pretty big, it was a two-man perimeter oriented game. And based on box scores, Reggie gets an advantage as his game was up'ed in the playoffs.

Jalen Rose, yes.

But Larry Bird's coaching ? Larry Bird didn't do anything. He was just there to give motivational speeches - Carlisle practically ran the team.
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#119 » by Baller 24 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:30 am

There is something he did right that obviously took them out of the lottery ( a 39 win team under Larry Brown), and turned it into a 58 team a season later taking the '98 Bulls to 7 games. Mark Jackson wasn't injured yeah we know that, but he isn't good enough to make almost a 20 game win difference.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#120 » by Doctor MJ » Wed May 19, 2010 6:19 am

Wow, so this has been quite a tough year for me. Putting something down now, could possibly still change it tomorrow morning.

1. Shaq
2. Garnett
3. Malone
4. Payton
5. Zo

Shaq - obviously. 2-5 I just keep going back & forth on.

I've got KG at #2. Bottom line, he was doing it all for his team playing big minutes. I don't really buy the criticisms of him. His #s don't look great against Portland, but neither did Malone's. KG's team came closer to beating Portland than the Jazz did, and they weren't supposed to. The bringing up of All-NBA voting is just bizarre.

I do think there's a bit of a backlash against Garnett because of how well he's done in this project. Honestly, I think he's been overrated as well by us, but the dude finished #2 in MVP voting this year - this isn't just voters here singing his praises.

Malone's a crafty devil. He gets the nod over the next two guys maybe because I'm more convinced of his ability to lead a team to elite status without getting in its way. I also think that for all the talk of Payton's great post-season, I'd give Malone the series MVP nod.

Payton was an animal at this point, and earns the 4 spot. Still, I'm always reluctant to go too far with "he's out there with trash", and Payton gives me concerns on that front. Low percentage volume shooting point guard led the team to similar minor success the next few years, until the team got rid of him for the less highly regarded Allen and got better. I also always have the taste in my mouth of his time with the Lakers which might be unfair. I just thing Payton is a guy who will dominate the ball too much if you let him, and so can at time lifts you to mediocrity but not any further.

Zo was the guy fluctuating the most on my list. I hate to say bad things about him because I like him a lot, but I feel like I have to justify having him so low. I look at Zo, and I see a guy who doesn't play as many minutes as I think an MVP candidate should, who always seems to get upset in the playoffs, and whose team improved on defense in his absence in '01 while winning about as many games. I know that it wasn't all the same team, but he's an MVP candidate this year because people think he's by far the best offensive and defensive player on the team, you would sure think that the team wouldn't be able to recover from losing him without the acquisition of some big time talent.

Honorable Mention:

Duncan - Wasn't far from the top 5.

Iverson - I've got my issues with him, but he did lead a successful team this year.

Bryant - Arrives on the B-list.

Hill - Arguably his best year.

Reggie - Love the guy. Love that he takes nothing off the table. Not well rounded enough to get past the top 5 guys above.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!

Return to Player Comparisons