Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Who you think is currently the better player?

Derrick Rose
36%
Kevin Durant
64%

Total votes: 39

Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,535

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#21 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:20 pm

JordansBulls wrote:
wiff wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:Rose no doubt. Led team to best record in the league without another allstar while Durant has only led a team to a 4th seed with another allstar on the team. Not to mention Rose made the playoffs each year in the league while with Durant the Sonics/Thunder were worse his rookie and sophomore years compared to the season before he came.

Rose being on a team that made the playoffs every year has absolutely nothing to do with Rose being a better player. All it means is that Rose was on a better "TEAM"

And if I'm not mistaken the 3 teams in front of the Thunder are responsible for winning 10 of the last 13 championships and were in the finals 13 out of the last 13 years. That's kind of a tough code to crack.

Still though team success doesn't define individual talent. And this is still Durant and it's not really that close.

How does that apply here?

Rose was not on a better team. Sonics won more games the year before Durant came than the first two years he was there. Bulls missed the playoffs the year before Rose came and then made it each year he was there.

Ever heard of context? I mean, come on...
palmdale9ad
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#22 » by palmdale9ad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:29 pm

Thats a little unfair. The year that Durant went to the Sonics coincided with Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis leaving. While they both missed significant time the previous season, it would be unreasonable to assume he could match their production. The Bulls still had their same players and added Rose.
Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,304

Post#23 » by Bank Shot » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Rose has lost with HCA while Durant hasn't.

Therefore, Durant clearly.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,088

Post#24 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:07 pm

Bank Shot wrote:Rose has lost with HCA while Durant hasn't.

alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,169

Post#25 » by alucryts » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:24 pm

I always go back and forth on this topic. Right now I give an edge to Durant (as I have most of the summer). Rose doesn't give you Durant's scoring efficiency, and Durant doesn't give you Rose's play making/ball handling. Both problems to me need to be addressed with more players around them, but I think the play making/ball handling issue may be easier to fill than the efficiency option. If Rose can up his efficiency to 57-ish% ts%, then I think Rose would be the clear choice here.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#26 » by JordansBulls » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:27 pm

Bank Shot wrote:Rose has lost with HCA while Durant hasn't.

He went 7 games against an 8th seed that was missing it's best player. Besides, the HCA only applies to guys who have won league MVP. :D
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#27 » by bbms » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Kevin Durant is the better player and easier to build around.

Kevin Durant brings more efficiency and volume to my offense. He just don't need the ball in his hands to get the Thunder to the WCF. He's a capable iso scorer, not at Rose's level but he can get his part. I'd rather have Kevin Durant's iso game than Derrick Rose's ability to create for his bigs. He's also shown this year's playoffs he can also be a dominant rebounder for his position if the Thunder needs. 9 rpg against Dallas and Memphis is no joke.

As a franchise player, in today's NBA is much easier to find an elite ball handler than an elite off-ball player and if we're talking about potential, I think Durant's size and lenght give him advantage over Rose.

West's 8th seed is much more competitive than any team Bulls faced this year's playoffs outside of Miami Heat. Bulls is the best defensive team in the league and Thunder struggled with a Krstic + Green PF/C combo for long time. IMO, Derrick Rose is closer to Westbrook than to Durant.
JordansBulls
RealGM

Post#28 » by JordansBulls » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:14 pm

bbms wrote:Kevin Durant is the better player and easier to build around.

Kevin Durant brings more efficiency and volume to my offense. He just don't need the ball in his hands to get the Thunder to the WCF. He's a capable iso scorer, not at Rose's level but he can get his part. I'd rather have Kevin Durant's iso game than Derrick Rose's ability to create for his bigs. He's also shown this year's playoffs he can also be a dominant rebounder for his position if the Thunder needs. 9 rpg against Dallas and Memphis is no joke.

As a franchise player, in today's NBA is much easier to find an elite ball handler than an elite off-ball player and if we're talking about potential, I think Durant's size and lenght give him advantage over Rose.

West's 8th seed is much more competitive than any team Bulls faced this year's playoffs outside of Miami Heat. Bulls is the best defensive team in the league and Thunder struggled with a Krstic + Green PF/C combo for long time. IMO, Derrick Rose is closer to Westbrook than to Durant.

How is it easier to build around Durant when he has another allstar on his team and the highest seed he has ever been is a 4 seed, while Rose hasn't played with one allstar yet and led a team to the best record in the league?
Not to mention Durant actually had Perkins as well a proven winner. :D
- Michael Jordan
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,535

Post#29 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Ok, now I'm convinced you're a troll JB.
bbms
Analyst

Post#30 » by bbms » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Lol, Bulls have the best defensive coach in NBA and Thunder has the worst offensive coach in NBA.
Chosen01
RealGM
And1: 534

Post#31 » by Chosen01 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:47 pm

Might be because he had the better overall team(rebounding and defensively)?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,154

Post#32 » by tsherkin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Hmm.

Interesting question.

Both of them really, really young and still clearly under development. Rose still isn't an impressive PnR player, still a basic penetrate and pitch player more in the mould of a sane Stephon Marbury with more scoring talent than a savvy floor general, and surrounded by more balanced talent than Durant. That makes team-related comparisons foolish.

But as players?

Both of them bring a lot to the table. Both young, both extremely adept at scoring the ball, though Durant is a lot better for the first 46-47 minutes of a game. Rose is a lot more agile, though, because he's much smaller and has a way better handle on the ball, able to pretty much go where he pleases until he runs into help defense. Clearly, they each bring something different to the table.

Rose is an on-ball guy, Durant is more an off-ball guy. Rose has more in common with, and I'll use the name again but it really does Rose a disservice, Marbury, whereas Durant is like Reggie Miller on mutagenic slime or something. Very different players from a style perspective. Durant of course is more of a 3/4 while Rose is a scoring 1. Same age.

Totally different height brackets. Rose is 6'3 and Durant 6'10 or so. As a result of that, anyone expecting big-time handles out of KD down the pipe is in for serious disappointment, it isn't going to happen. The number of guys 6'8 and taller who have been sick ball-handlers is small enough, you start reaching out to 6'10 and you're talking like Danny Manning, Ralph Sampson, Kevin Garnett and... and... Bueller... Lamar Odom, certainly, and a couple of other guys, but they are big-time rare.

Anyway, obvious strengths for Rose would be that he creates shots for others and that he's really mobile with the ball, can attack a defense in a variety of ways. It should be pointed out that he sucked ass from downtown pretty much all year except in December, when he was so hot for 16 games that it affected his seasonal average and everyone thinks he made big strides there... even him, as we saw in the playoffs. He is a bad 3pt shooter still. He did, however, take a big step forward as a FT shooter. A REALLY big step. 86%+, especially on 7 FTA/g, that's elite. Not quite top echelon, but closing in. If he maintains 84%+, it keeps him very dangerous on a new level, especially since he was drawing fouls at a much higher rate than he had in his previous seasons. That made a HUGE difference in his offensive value, nevermind that he added almost 2 apg as he upped his USG%.

I think that, if Chicago is smart, they'll try to get a semi-competent on-ball player to put next to him, someone who can iso a little, is a good 3pt shooter and can take a second-scorer type role. That'd take a little bit of pressure off of Rose and would allow him to comfortably scale back his shooting volume a bit so he could focus more on passing and wouldn't get owned so hard in the playoffs like he did against Miami. His raw averages were good in the PS, but his scoring efficiency was putrid... and a lot of it was that he was forced to go 1-on-5 because his teammates were not contributing to a sufficient level on offense. On D and on the glass, absolutely, but that was the story all year, right? The Bulls' offense was driven by 25 ppg on 55% TS from Rose... and by excellent D and rebounding. They were, however, a remarkably pedestrian offense given how good Rose was during the year. That still left them 11th in the league in ORTG, but despite his HUGE season, they weren't any better on O than they'd been in 09. This should be the beginning of the BRING BACK BEN GORDON!!!!! movement, in my opinion, because he's exactly the player they need. Not a 25 ppg superstar, and given his recent performance he'd be comparatively inexpensive. But he's quick, he can drive a bit, can shoot particularly well, and he'd slot well next to Rose because he's more of an off-ball guy. His size would be a bit of an issue but their team D is so good it wouldn't matter THAT much.

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic.

Rose is a good player, on a good team, but he doesn't impact an offense to the same extent as a true PG. He's also clearly evidenced the ability to improve and is very much representative of the Next Generation, right, the up-and-comers who will replace the fading stars off the current era very shortly as the face of the league (providing the league returns... o.O).

Durant is a very different type of player. He's coming off of his second consecutive scoring title and his third straight season at 57.7%+ TS. He's a more efficient and higher-volume scorer than Rose and he looked a lot better in the playoffs this year until the last couple of games against Dallas (who, I might point out, also owned Kobe and Lebron in that same postseason run with their defense). Bigger, less mobile compared to a guy like Rose, better rebounder, still a reasonably good passer given his physique and style of play.

Rocked about 29/8/3 in the playoffs this past season, on about 58% TS, which is roughly an 8% increase over what he'd managed the year before, and in almost 3x as many games. 28.6 ppg actually led the playoffs in scoring average. Largely sucked ass from the field against Dallas after Game 2, though he continued to draw fouls effectively until the final game of the series, when he was just putrid overall. Rebounded and passed very well for most of the series. Brutal on the turnovers in game 4. Still put 27.2 ppg on them, though, and dropped 40 in game one. Went 2/20 from 3 across games 2, 3 and 4, that hurt him, but at around 7 3PA/g, that's too much from downtown even for a shooter... unless his name is either Reggie Miller or Ray Allen.

So you're looking at two young players, both with some strengths and great upside, and both with flaws, both also needing a little more out of their teammates to take the next step.

Given this choice, you have to consider a few things, such as...

How good is Russell Westbrook?

o.O

What am I talking about?

Well, Westbrook was also 22 last season and put up 22, 4.5 and 8 on about 54% TS, shooting 84% from the line and drawing 8 FTA/g on 17.6 FGA/g (Rose took 19.7, and noticeably more 3s, to score 25 ppg).

Most will want to categorize Westbrook as a product of Durant, but we've seen it before with passers all over the place, a scorer's going to score one way or another and a passer's going to fair pretty well away from his scoring threat too. Magic did it with and without Kareem, Pippen did it with and without Magic, Isiah did it with and without Dantley, Nash has done it with and without Dirk or Amare, etc, etc. He took a similar number of shots as Rose did from 16-23 feet and shot a similar percentage (both around 4.5/g, Westbrook at 36%, Rose at 38%), and of course did a better job of drawing fouls.

Tough to compare. What does this mean?

Well, let's see. The Bulls made it to the ECFs and got smoked in 5. The Thunder made it to the WCFs... and got smoked in 5. Chicago and Oklahoma City had two different styles, but both had an equivalent level talent around them. For Chicago, that meant ass-loads of rebounding and defense, some spot-up shooting and no one else on the team who could effectively create a shot for himself.

For the Thunder, it meant a major second scoring threat, piss-poor outside shooting in the PS, unremarkable rebounding (though Ibaka's 7 rpg in 29 mpg was good, as was Durant's 8 rpg).

Two different styles, two different results... both main scorers floundering against a better defensive team that went onto the Finals. Westbrook was HORRENDOUS against the Mavs and he was gunning up a storm in Game 5 (28 FGAs!!! o.O) while before that game, he was turning the ball over at an epic rate.

What am I saying?

Neither is better than the other, they're just different styles of baller. Both ended up hitting a wall against a better defensive squad that owned them while their teammates fell apart and it didn't matter that Rose was the better ball-handler or that Durant draws fouls more effectively and so on and so forth. Neither was able to elevate his team to the next level, they both went just as far as they other guy and lost just as fast in the Conference Finals.

They need more time to differentiate themselves and for one or the other to draw the gap wider. Or perhaps they will improve (or stagnate) at equal rates and remain neck-and-neck. There's nothing to say that favors one or the other. Each needs more of what the other's team has: Durant needs better defenders and rebounders around him and Rose needs more of what Westbrick brings to the table in terms of a second shot creator.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 974

Post#33 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:29 am

Rose had one of the best rebounding and defensive teams in the league. Noah isn't an AS by selections, but his rebounding, energy. hustle and team defense is AS level. He will honestly take Horfords spot in AS games once he stays healthy anyway. Boozer obviously didn't play like a 2nd option scoring wise though.

Durant had a legit 2nd option, but Westbrook had mental breakdowns and thought he should have been taking over in key moments. OKC also had some good young players and good depth, but because of that, The Thunder were also a young inexperienced team as well.

In the end, both teams had their strengths and weakness's, so your decision seems to have to be about preference for now. Although, I think durant takes the Thunder past the Mavs if he was able to take over.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,597

Post#34 » by Asianiac_24 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:37 am

I love Rose, in fact he is probably my favorite player outside of the Lakers, but Durant is still clearly the better player
bbms
Analyst

Post#35 » by bbms » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:21 am

Kevin Durant's iso game is actually underrated. You didn't see conceding turnovers when he isolate 1v1 against a defense. See Shane Battier against him this year's playoffs. His greatest problem is that he struggles when faces trap defense, since he is not an elite post player, and Thunder's floor spacing sucks badly, I think the inability of Scott Brooks at managing the rotations hurt Kevin Durant productivity/efficiency, which are still great.

Westbrook, Sefolosha, Durant, Ibaka and Perkins. This was Thunder's starting line for the playoffs. Westbrook is the only legit offensive threat, but is not a consistent outside shooter. Ibaka is a project as offensive player. Perkins and Sefolosha give the Thunder nothing, they sure are dependant, but, Noah, Deng and Boozer form a much better shooting line than Perkins, Ibaka, Sefolosha and Westbrook. I simply can't figure out how did Durant manage to look good and efficient being double teamed and even triple teamed for the whole playoffs. It scares me the most when I think that he doesn't even have a good shot selection. His amount of skill simply amazes me.
aurareturn1
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#36 » by aurareturn1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:55 am

Durant is clearly the better player. Rose is overrated. The Bulls' defense had more to do with their wins than Rose.

Derrick Rose is Mark Sanchez as Durant is to Philip Rivers.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,956

Post#37 » by SweetTouch » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:33 pm

aurareturn1 wrote:Durant is clearly the better player. Rose is overrated. The Bulls' defense had more to do with their wins than Rose.

Derrick Rose is Mark Sanchez as Durant is to Philip Rivers.

smh at the lack of respect for the kid
Stop being so disrespectful.
tclg
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#38 » by tclg » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:38 pm

tsherkin. There is a poll on the bulls board and guess who is number one on who would you want to bring in if they get amnestied Ben Gordon, I think you really hit the nail on the head. That was an awesome pose
Gongxi
Banned User
And1: 27

Post#39 » by Gongxi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:50 pm

Wow, between the guy saying "no stats!" and JB's painful arguments, this thread is just a freakshow.
JordansBulls
RealGM

Post#40 » by JordansBulls » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Gongxi wrote:Wow, between the guy saying "no stats!" and JB's painful arguments, this thread is just a freakshow.

What are you talking about?
- Michael Jordan

Return to Player Comparisons