James Harden is a superstar

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

eten
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: James Harden is a superstar 

Post#61 » by eten » Sat Jan 7, 2012 11:13 pm

Krodis wrote:Yeah I would hardly expect 67.7% TS% to hold up. It would be unprecedented for a perimeter player at his volume of scoring.

Reggie did 24.6 ppg on 64.5 TS% and 22.6 ppg on 65 TS% over 82 game span. Not quite 67.7, but very impressive for a jump shooter.
Chessboxer
Analyst
And1: 592

Post#62 » by Chessboxer » Sun Jan 8, 2012 12:31 am

I wouldnt call him a superstar, but hes definately allstar (calibre). Hes the second best player on the Thunder in my opinion, definatly better than Westbrook thats for sure.
" What I do is attack your ability. I don't have to stand over you and taunt you. You'll know when it's done that I'm better."

-Micheal Jordan
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,186

Post#63 » by tsherkin » Sun Jan 8, 2012 12:43 am

eten wrote:Reggie did 24.6 ppg on 64.5 TS% and 22.6 ppg on 65 TS% over 82 game span. Not quite 67.7, but very impressive for a jump shooter.

That something has been previously achieved does not actually make it any more likely to be repeated.
Ojmayo
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#64 » by Ojmayo » Sun Jan 8, 2012 1:18 am

He would look like a superstar in Minnesota.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#65 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Sun Jan 8, 2012 2:22 am

fallacy wrote:Just came here to say; I agree that Harden tends to play better when both KD and Westbrook are out of the game. He's at his best running the pick n roll.

Numbers might not back that up, but this is coming from a guy who has never missed a Harden game in his NBA career. Just the eye test thing.

You know nothing about thunder basketball
fallacy
RealGM
And1: 607

Post#66 » by fallacy » Sun Jan 8, 2012 2:23 am

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
fallacy wrote:Just came here to say; I agree that Harden tends to play better when both KD and Westbrook are out of the game. He's at his best running the pick n roll.

Numbers might not back that up, but this is coming from a guy who has never missed a Harden game in his NBA career. Just the eye test thing.

You know nothing about thunder basketball

What did I say that was wrong?
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
Stephen Jackson aint bout dis lyfe
Patrick Beverly deserves to have his knee ripped to pieces
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#67 » by Rapcity_11 » Sun Jan 8, 2012 8:11 am

tsherkin wrote:
eten wrote:Reggie did 24.6 ppg on 64.5 TS% and 22.6 ppg on 65 TS% over 82 game span. Not quite 67.7, but very impressive for a jump shooter.

That something has been previously achieved does not actually make it any more likely to be repeated.

Really?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by tsherkin » Sun Jan 8, 2012 8:22 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:Really?

I'm just saying, simply because Reggie did it does not make Harden specifically any more likely of doing it. It's possible, but the example raised was also one of very different context, right? Reggie was a guy who took most of his shots around screens, it's not the same as handling the ball and creating your own shot and so forth.

Granted, Harden's volume is way lower and that helps, but yeah, it was kind of a bunk way to defend the notion that Harden can maintain what he's doing, which he can't. Not fully, anyhow, he's clearly on pace for a really good season regardless.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#69 » by Rapcity_11 » Sun Jan 8, 2012 8:24 am

tsherkin wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:Really?

I'm just saying, simply because Reggie did it does not make Harden specifically any more likely of doing it. It's possible, but the example raised was also one of very different context, right? Reggie was a guy who took most of his shots around screens, it's not the same as handling the ball and creating your own shot and so forth.

Granted, Harden's volume is way lower and that helps, but yeah, it was kind of a bunk way to defend the notion that Harden can maintain what he's doing, which he can't. Not fully, anyhow, he's clearly on pace for a really good season regardless.

I don't disagree with anything you just wrote. Just that I think that somebody having achieved something in the past does make in generally more likely to be achieved in the future by somebody else.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by tsherkin » Sun Jan 8, 2012 8:25 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:I don't disagree with anything you just wrote. Just that I think that somebody having achieved something in the past does make in generally more likely to be achieved in the future by somebody else.

I suppose if you look at it as the notion that someone has realized that it's possible and that perpetuates the attempt to do so, but that's more related to people approaching things the same way. I left my comment too general, but like I said in my follow-up, the contexts are too different for what Reggie did to have any bearing on what Harden is doing.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#71 » by wiff » Sun Jan 8, 2012 6:11 pm

tsherkin wrote:

Explain the 4 minute mile barrier then please.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#72 » by old rem » Sun Jan 8, 2012 8:55 pm

orangeparka wrote:You're absolutely right.

They need to trade that chucker KD and let Harden take over.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Excellent defender............yet OKC starts Sefalosha for D. How curious.

Superstar......but a SHOOTING G who averaged 12 ppg and only topped 25 pt...once. I guess that makes Anthony Morrow a legend.

It's absurd to even claim Harden is already a STAR. Then....to say a Superstar????

The guy had a few games. Fine. Even so....17 ppg ain't SUPER...or Stephen Jackson needs to get more credit....as do several other players.
CENSORED... No comment.
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Post#73 » by Krodis » Sun Jan 8, 2012 9:30 pm

old rem and his raw PPG fetish again.

Let me guess, Monta Ellis is a superstar and Manu Ginobili is just some roleplayer?
fallacy
RealGM

Post#74 » by fallacy » Sun Jan 8, 2012 10:29 pm

Harden isn't a superstar, that's pretty unanimous.

Holy crap REM, you do know that there is much more than PPG? :lol:
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Post#75 » by Krodis » Mon Jan 9, 2012 12:43 am

I have a question with regards to his three point shot distribution. Are the shots he gets off handoffs with Nick Collison where Collison hands it off and sets a screen in their two man game considered spot ups?
bastillon
Head Coach
And1: 613

Post#76 » by bastillon » Mon Jan 9, 2012 11:23 pm

tsherkin have you seen Harden recently ? basically he catches the ball and there's an extreme likelyhood of him scoring. Harden-Collison pick and roll is one of the most efficient plays in basketball, its effectiveness is comparable to Nash-Amare and Terry-Dirk two man game right now. seriously, I haven't seen similarly unstoppable play for a long time. Harden is scoring 17 ppg in 30 mins on 66% TS and the only thing that's stopping him from getting ~25/game is halfcourt touches and mins. 133 ORtg! - that's just INSANE for a guy who often plays with the ball as team's first option.
Quotatious wrote: Bastillon is Hakeem. Combines style and substance.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by tsherkin » Mon Jan 9, 2012 11:35 pm

bastillon wrote:tsherkin have you seen Harden recently ? basically he catches the ball and there's an extreme likelyhood of him scoring.

I've noticed him playing very well, yes. I think you're heaping praise in a volume that is slightly excessive and somewhat premature, but he's certainly been awesome for OKC thus far.
fallacy
RealGM

Post#78 » by fallacy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:20 am

Since this thread is back on the front page, I guess I'll throw in a random stat I found out recently

James Harden is leading the NBA (those who qualify; at the time I looked it up) at finishing at the rim with an insane 81%
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#79 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:24 am

Harden has superstar potential but till he puts up superstar numbers he's just a very good player. Still very early on in the season. There are a few guys every season that start the season off great. Him being a great defender is a big stretch. Last year opposing SG has an effective field goal percentage of 50% against him. Pretty much on par with kevin martin. He's a good defender at best.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,836

Post#80 » by Zeitgeister » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:40 pm

So many people were willing to dismiss Harden, just look at Old Rem scoffing at the fact that Harden isn't a starter. Just silly.

Harden displayed very advanced ability even as a freshman and moreso as a sophmore in college. I was sad when Minnesota didn't get a chance to draft him. What I'm hoping, is that Minnesota clears some cap space and offers Harden a crap ton of money and Oklahoma doesn't have the cap space to hold on to him. A Rubio/Love/Harden pairing would be ridiculous.

I'm not sure if Harden will be a superstar as I am very hesitant to hand out titles like that, but he will be a star player. He can be a Brandon Roy type if not a bit better.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.

Return to Player Comparisons