James Harden is a superstar

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,147

Re: James Harden is a superstar 

Post#1141 » by tsherkin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:13 am

Krodis wrote:The Rockets could probably do a better job of getting Harden good looks off-ball. They don't run a ton of plays, and Lin and Douglas have a tendency to get tunnel vision towards the rim on drives.

Yes, and they run hot and cold. Plus Lin, his December aside, is generally a lower-efficiency player to begin with because he really isn't a good 3pt shooter at all and he takes a decent volume of them. And because he's a turnover hound, too. That team in general really isn't a strong offensive squad, so it makes life more difficult for Harden.
fatal9
Bench Warmer
And1: 543

Post#1142 » by fatal9 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:17 am

rrravenred wrote:BTW, on the high-FTR players in the playoffs...

I did some numbers since 2005 (i.e. the new rules) on high FTA players (7+) and how their games changed in the playoffs.

Surprisingly, there's little variation by FTR. High FTR players like Dwight, Shaq or Wade are just as likely to have a drop or rise in the raw FTA numbers in the playoffs as low FTR players like T-Mac or Bryant.

Now to be clear, this is based on only 66 Player/seasons and discounts skillset and playstyle, but it's interesting that a "common sense" assumption doesn't seem supported by the (somewhat limited) available evidence.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. It's not just about high fta/fga, I said "high fta/fga players who have holes in their shot making ability can be very inconsistent playoff players". ie. guys who rely on FTs for a large percentage of their scoring but don't have much variability (or effective go to shots) in how they actually score from the field. Wade and Shaq wouldn't fall in that group.

Problem for Harden also is that he isn't a freak athlete like a Wade or LeBron so he can't finish at the rim like they can against a set defense. He's really really good at getting to the rim, has a nice touch around the basket, but even those guys who are on another level at finishing around the rim needed to develop or use other things to score consistently in the playoffs (midrange game, post game etc).
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,996

Post#1143 » by UGA Hayes » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:45 am

^ Do you actually have statistical proof of that, or is that a general observation? Your stantement on the comparison b/t Wade/James/and Harden seem highly subjective at this point and I'm not ever really sure is true. I mean since win is Wade a great midrange shooter, or even needed to be a great midrange shooter. LAst time I checked REfs still screw over him opponents in the playoffs and give him FT like candy. Your reasons for why this won't happen for Harden are pretty unconvinving IMO.
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 547
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#1144 » by rrravenred » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:49 am

I did sort of get your point, in that I indicated this analysis discounted skillset and playstyle. It was more of an aside about perimeter players and fouls drawn, rather than overall effectiveness.

I've always been fascinated by the assertions (not necessarily by you) made about "Playoffs basketball" and wonder to what extent they're supported by evidence. Small sample sizes make for unreliable data in any case.

The only perimeter player who I can think of off-hand who regularly elevated his game in the playoffs without outlier physical gifts is Reggie Miller, who of course had an off-ball game that arguably hasn't been bettered (you could potentially add in later-career Kobe, but he does have a rounded mid-range game as well). It'll be interesting to see if your proposition is proved in the playoffs, assuming Houston makes it (which looks more likely than not).
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,668

Post#1145 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:17 am

I guess Jerry West and Walt Frazier had outlier physical gifts pretty clearly . . . . how about Chauncey Billups?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
fatal9
Bench Warmer
And1: 543

Post#1146 » by fatal9 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:24 am

^^ Harden will have no problem drawing fouls in the playoffs, he might even average more FTs. I'm being critical of his shot making ability outside of FTs, which against a set defense can look very one dimensional at times (ie. chuck threes off the dribble). Developing a more well rounded scoring game inside the three point line will give him more control over his game to game performance and help him become a more dependable "go to" scorer. It's not some radical idea, just something I'd like to see in his game because it will help him immensely in the playoffs. I'm not arguing against or for him like tsherk said, but I'd be careful of thinking of him as a 27 ppg on 60 TS% scorer because Rockets run a very high paced offense with lots of easy transition baskets and there are some holes in his versatility as a scorer that good defensive teams can take advantage of (and have taken advantage of this season and in playoffs last year...it's not based on what I randomly think will happen, but from what I've seen happen so far in his career).
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1147 » by tsherkin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:44 am

UGA Hayes wrote:^ Do you actually have statistical proof of that, or is that a general observation? Your stantement on the comparison b/t Wade/James/and Harden seem highly subjective at this point and I'm not ever really sure is true.

Is this to me?

There is no questioning the truth of what I said, look it up yourself. The numbers are readily available.

I mean since win is Wade a great midrange shooter, or even needed to be a great midrange shooter.

Do you watch Wade play? He doesn't have a ton of range past the elbow, that's for sure, but he uses mid-range shots all the time if he can't get to the rim around the screen, always has. In his scoring title season, in 2009 (aka the peak of his offensive output), he was taking 3.1 FGA/g from 3-15 feet. He was also taking 7.8 FGA/g at 16-23 feet and shooting 42% on those shots. He had much more middle game than Harden has displayed to date. In the 2012 title season, he took 5 FGA/g from 3-15 feet, which I've already gone over.

Back in the 2006 title season, he took 3.28 FGA/g from 3-9 feet at 47.2% and 3.36 FGA/g from 10-15 feet at 38.1%.

Clearly, when you're taking almost 6.7 FGA/g from that range, you're using the shot quite a lot. You could see floaters, you could see pull-ups, you could see some hooks... basically, he was a much more capable finisher between the rim and the 3pt line, and it made a difference when he was attacking because he was a credible threat in between. He tried to get to the rim as often as possible (and at 9.2 FGA/g on 65.6%, he succeed brilliantly), but obviously he needed more to his game. Hell, he was taking 7.39 FGA/g from 16-23 feet, a lot like his scoring title season, shooting 41.0%. Healthy Wade has flashed a much better jumper than most people credit him as having. Under the arc, anyway.

Being mystified that Wade was ever a good mid-range shooter kind of highlights a lack of exposure to him in his prime, because it was a staple component of his game, even if he was more known for splitting doubles and ramming it in peoples' teeth, which he certainly did regularly. Wade was MUCH more explosive than Harden, though, and got to the rim even MORE (which is kind of a terrifying notion, when you pause and think about it, given Harden's efficacy at getting to the rim).

LAst time I checked REfs still screw over him opponents in the playoffs and give him FT like candy. Your reasons for why this won't happen for Harden are pretty unconvinving IMO.

Right... but Wade's playoff FTA/FGA since Lebron joined?

2011: .4799
2012: .3897

Playoff Career FTA/FGA: .456

He wasn't getting nearly the same kind of treatment in the 2012 playoffs, so you're wrong.

More particularly, the 2011 Finals: .454

That's not really terrifyingly epic when you think about it. He got to the line effectively, for sure, but part of that is consistently driving. Also, it helped that Dallas' defense was primarily keying on Lebron James more so than on Dwyane Wade, and then of course he was no where to be found over the last two games of the Finals, in part due to the injury he suffered (which is another concern of only relentlessly attacking the basket; see Maggette, Corey).

You'll notice too that Malone and David Robinson still both got to the line very effectively in the playoffs as well, but the root problem they had was that their FG% tended to pit out, rather than watching their DrawF evaporate. That's more of a situational problem at the end of games or in a given game where things get chippy. You can't live on FTAs, though, so for consistent performance, you need to be able to get clean looks at the basket in more than one or two ways.

I think you're perhaps assuming that I'm saying Harden is going to get to the playoffs and not draw any fouls?

But that's stupid, and not at all what I'm saying. If you drive, you'll get rewarded, at least eventually and on the balance of your efforts. The problem is more that if all you can do is finish at the rim and bomb threes, well, you're going to see major issues in terms of consistency and, regular season aside, you'll eventually run into a defense like the proper versions of Boston and Chicago (not playing quite to par right now) who, over the balance of a series where they are scouting and adjusting to you more deeply than they do in the regular season, will make life a living hell for you with a roster like Houston's.

This is why it's important to balance things out with a broader array of abilities. I doubt anyone here is saying that Harden needs to start spamming 20-footers and tons and tons of elbow jumpers, but while his shot distribution is really pleasing to look at taken as a regular-season whole, you can see well enough that the games where he's struggling, his three point shot is off and he's having some trouble getting to the line. There's a reason guys like Jordan and Kobe milked their mid-range shot. There's a reason that MJ had as much in common with a young Wade as he did with Kevin Durant's off-ball game setting himself up for isos. You can't just spam pick-and-rolls all day and assume you're going to get the same looks in each different situation, teams can plan for that over a more extended series, so you need to shake it up at least a little.

EDIT: I should add, I just played the "Do you watch..." card, which made me feel bad, but the question asked made me really unsure, because the mid-range is such a big part of Wade's game and always has been. He's always been a guy who did his work under the arc and even in the seasons where he was getting to the rim an absurd number of times per game, he had a host of fallaways, spinning jumpers, pull-ups, floaters and other elements of a complete middle game that helped him get his shot off even when he was walled off from the rim despite his epic explosiveness. Later, of course, he'd develop and flash a post game, which has served him well over the last few years, but the point is, Wade has always been a guy with a great deal of game between the rim and the 3pt line, so to question when he was ever really good at it is to kind of not understand a key piece of why Wade has been so successful.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1148 » by tsherkin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:57 am

So, tonight's game. It's basically over as I write this.

45 minutes for Harden, so another game logging HEAVY minutes.

10/19 FG, 2/8 3P (!!), 7/8 FT. 29/9/6, 4 TOV.

He literally didn't do anything but take 3s or shoot in the bottom of the paint. Other than threes, his farthest shot was 7 feet. Obviously, he was 8/10 inside of the arc and burning people up from inside, and basically useless from beyond the arc. He had 4 of his 6 assists in the 1st quarter.

Had a nice 4th quarter. Not really over, but still nice. The game was out of reach, but he at least played well.

Lin was INSANELY bad, and both Douglas and Patterson were bad (combined 2-10). Lin's 2-13 hurt, though. Asik, was 6/7, Harden was 10/19, Parsons was 9/18, Delfino was 6/11... And they still only shot 44% as a team because Lin, Douglas and Patterson were so bad (and Morris was also 2/6).

As per usual, Harden was getting to the rim and otherwise deep into the paint very well. Atypically, he shot very well AWAY from the rim but in the paint tonight, so that was nice to see. Those flailing nonsense shots he takes out of the Eurostep when he doesn't get the foul call were going, which doesn't usually happen. He played a great game. Houston needs more depth though, he can't keep logging these minutes and hold up long-term.
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1149 » by rrravenred » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:25 am

penbeast0 wrote:I guess Jerry West and Walt Frazier had outlier physical gifts pretty clearly . . . . how about Chauncey Billups?

Averaged out over his career, the playoff differences are negligible from his RS, funnily enough.

Pertinent to fatal's point, however, he did develop a post-game that provided a reasonable option-B. Also has to be said that he was only ever the co-offensive anchor (with Rip), which I'd argue is conducive to retaining your efficiency. The same could arguably be said of Walt, West and Miller too, of course. I'd argue that all four players had better offensively constructed teams than Harden's, which you could say either inflates Harden's value or reduces it.
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1150 » by rrravenred » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:32 am

tsherkin wrote:EDIT: I should add, I just played the "Do you watch..." card, which made me feel bad, but the question asked made ...

We need a "bad PC board post" bingo card to play, with squares like: "Just watch the game!", "Only on RealGM is this a question", "Look at this Youtube video!", "LOL", "Context free advanced stat cherry picking" and the like.

;)

Got fallacy?
penbeast0

Post#1151 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:59 am

Re: Harden shooting almost all of his shots from 3 or deep in the paint . . . GOOD! That's what most players should do as I always said about Kevin Martin. It does make you somewhat more defensible as you have less options but those are the two most efficient shots in the game and if you can get good ones from both areas, you are probably consistently helping your team and scoring efficiently.

Re: Billups having a playoff success only slightly higher than his career regular season success . . . I believe the average player drops noticeably in the playoffs due to the fact that you don't have the bad teams there and the defensive intensity of those teams that are there being higher. Thus a player that improves a bit is appreciably above average in improvement and Billups's career is a reasonably large sample size. He's a playoff performer.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
CKRT
Analyst
And1: 404

Post#1152 » by CKRT » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:17 am

I don't like Houston's playoff chances if they don't get him a reasonable back up that give him some rest for at least 8 minutes a game.
lilojmayo wrote:Juice is not a chucker, like say James Harden
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1153 » by tsherkin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:18 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Re: Harden shooting almost all of his shots from 3 or deep in the paint . . . GOOD! That's what most players should do as I always said about Kevin Martin. It does make you somewhat more defensible as you have less options but those are the two most efficient shots in the game and if you can get good ones from both areas, you are probably consistently helping your team and scoring efficiently.

There's nothing wrong with his shot distribution in a general sense, as long as he proves that he can do more when called upon to do so by the defense. As I was pointing out earlier, ALL of the other really good scorers in the league seem to be worlds better at finishing in the other regions of the paint besides right at the rim, and also seem to make better use of the elbow. Since those guys all seem to be really valuable and dominant playoff scorers, it does seem to be something to note.

Re: Billups having a playoff success only slightly higher than his career regular season success . . . I believe the average player drops noticeably in the playoffs due to the fact that you don't have the bad teams there and the defensive intensity of those teams that are there being higher. Thus a player that improves a bit is appreciably above average in improvement and Billups's career is a reasonably large sample size. He's a playoff performer.

This is certainly true.

Billups proved in the 01-04 era that he could be highly effective even under the OLD rules, and then of course won a title in 04, and continued to be ultra-successful after that.

Take the title season as an example:

03-04: 16.9 ppg, 55.5% TS against 51.6% league average (+3.9%), 112 ORTG.

In the playoffs, 16.4 ppg, 54.6% TS, 111 ORTG. So, highly similar, within the normal decline range. On his career, he's a 17.8 ppg player in the playoffs on 58.0% TS. He's a guy who used a lot of threes, drove hard and drew a lot of fouls, and in general had a shot distribution much like Harden's (though he was considerably better on long two-pointers). Not a GREAT example, because he was a lower-volume guy, and sustaining high-volume offense is very different from sustaining offense at 12.5 FGA/g (12.6 for Billups in the playoffs, 11.2 on his RS career).

Still, it's a point in Harden's favor that he understands what kind of shot distribution makes a lot of sense, it's just that on those nights where right now he's going 2/8 from downtown and 0/5 from downtown and such, he needs something else. For a SSS stat, the Rockets are 5-8 when he shoots under .333 from three-point range. They're 3-9 when he shoots under 40% FG.

Again, ultra SSS stats, but it follows logically somewhat that when he's shooting poorly on a large proportion of his offense, the team flounders because he IS their offense. Same deal with overall FG%, since he tends to take 17 or 18 shots per game. It'd simply be nice for him to have more to fall back on when his two mains aren't clicking at max level, right?
penbeast0

Post#1154 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:26 pm

Unless they are really overloading the defense on him in those two spots, seems to me you are better off going to your strengths with confidence that your percentages will turn around. Kareem didn't abandon the sky-hook when he missed a few; Shaq didn't move out to midrange when he blew a couple of dunks, Reggie Miller didn't start shooting midrange . . . you keep working your break and butter unless they discover an effective counter. If so, then you develop a countermove.

Of course this comes form someone who relies on his hook shot or open J's and has no moves turning to his left that work more than 1/3 of the time (lefty hooks and slip and dips) even from 8 feet in. :)
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1155 » by tsherkin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:35 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Unless they are really overloading the defense on him in those two spots, seems to me you are better off going to your strengths with confidence that your percentages will turn around.

I think you're mistaking "having an option to turn to once in a while when you need it" for "completely restructure your game to eliminate your strengths as use the alternate option(s)."

It's been pretty clear at times that if Harden can't get to the rim and his three is off, which is something that does happen given the low proportion of assisted threes he gets and the way some teams defend him (or when the refs are calling nothing). Also, he gets a LOT of his fouls on those Eurostep moves around 5-8 feet from the basket, and he blows terribly at finishing those, so if the refs aren't helping him on a given night, he needs to have something else to work with. As it stands, that's part of the reason he's leading the league in total turnovers. He also does take 2.7 FGA/g from 16-23 feet, and he's shooting only 37% there, which is not good. He needs to make that a bit more of a credible threat, since those shots represent more than 15% of his total shooting volume.

Kareem didn't abandon the sky-hook when he missed a few; Shaq didn't move out to midrange when he blew a couple of dunks, Reggie Miller didn't start shooting midrange

Shaq would have been better, a lot better, if he could have stuck a 13-footer. Not "used it regularly," but kind of like Duncan's banker from 10 to 13 feet. It would have been a fairly important addition to his game. Particularly for longevity, but in general. Reggie DID start shooting mid-range, he did it throughout his entire career, that was a really bad example.

. . . you keep working your break and butter unless they discover an effective counter. If so, then you develop a countermove.

PRECISELY.

And Harden doesn't have a counter move for those moments when he's struggling, which is kind of the point. Recognizing that he's young and succeeding brilliantly at a base, it would be foolish in the extreme to ignore that he needs at least a little more diversity in his game to take himself to the highest level he can reach as a scorer.
ThatsWhatIShved
Banned User
And1: 37

Post#1156 » by ThatsWhatIShved » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:25 pm

tsherkin wrote:

He literally didn't do anything but take 3s or shoot in the bottom of the paint. Other than threes, his farthest shot was 7 feet.

This is wrong. He drew a foul on a jumper just inside the arc at the end of the 1st quarter (questionable call, but still)
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1157 » by tsherkin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:34 pm

ThatsWhatIShved wrote:This is wrong. He drew a foul on a jumper just inside the arc at the end of the 1st quarter (questionable call, but still)

Oh right, I forgot about that. Been going through reams of video lately, my bad. Still, he was basically slashing or bombing threes the whole game and he wasn't doing the latter very well at all, which was my point. Thanks for catching that one, though. :D
Sasaki
Veteran
And1: 781

Post#1158 » by Sasaki » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:56 pm

tsherkin wrote:So, tonight's game. It's basically over as I write this.

45 minutes for Harden, so another game logging HEAVY minutes.

10/19 FG, 2/8 3P (!!), 7/8 FT. 29/9/6, 4 TOV.

He literally didn't do anything but take 3s or shoot in the bottom of the paint. Other than threes, his farthest shot was 7 feet. Obviously, he was 8/10 inside of the arc and burning people up from inside, and basically useless from beyond the arc. He had 4 of his 6 assists in the 1st quarter.

Had a nice 4th quarter. Not really over, but still nice. The game was out of reach, but he at least played well.

Lin was INSANELY bad, and both Douglas and Patterson were bad (combined 2-10). Lin's 2-13 hurt, though. Asik, was 6/7, Harden was 10/19, Parsons was 9/18, Delfino was 6/11... And they still only shot 44% as a team because Lin, Douglas and Patterson were so bad (and Morris was also 2/6).

As per usual, Harden was getting to the rim and otherwise deep into the paint very well. Atypically, he shot very well AWAY from the rim but in the paint tonight, so that was nice to see. Those flailing nonsense shots he takes out of the Eurostep when he doesn't get the foul call were going, which doesn't usually happen. He played a great game. Houston needs more depth though, he can't keep logging these minutes and hold up long-term.

The only thing which really, really worries me about Harden is McHale riding him into the ground, but Houston would be competing for the Shabazz Muhammed sweepstakes if it wasn't for him. Parsons ( who has massively surpassed my expectations for him in his sophomore season, as all I had hoped for was that he would avoid the sophomore slump) and Asik on the defensive end are the only two others whom he can count on night after night - and I think Parsons has the most minutes for any sophomore player as well. Lin and Delfino are inconsistent, Douglas reminds me of Rafer Alston, and for a team that has 50 power forwards, they're either bad or Royce White.
But do you know what they call a fool, who's full of himself and jumps into the path of death because it's cool?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1159 » by tsherkin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Sasaki wrote:
The only thing which really, really worries me about Harden is McHale riding him into the ground,

Yeah, I wouldn't say I'm "worried" about Harden.

I'd say that this is his first year as a primary scoring threat and it's exactly 0% surprising that he doesn't have a fully fleshed-out game in that regard... and is doing a damned fine job regardless. Of the guys I mentioned in my earlier comparison, pretty much only Wade hit the league with something resembling his total game, and that's because he was like 23 when he was drafted. Kobe and Durant would be next on the list because their shooting ability was there basically from the start, but even they had to grow into the game physically and in terms of their approach... and both Lebron and KD had to endure coaches making them play G before they were moved to the more sensible forward slots they now occupy.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#1160 » by JordansBulls » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Would anyone have Harden in there top 5 for MVP voting right now?
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan

Return to Player Comparisons