Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum

Moderators: tsherkin, Doctor MJ, nate33, rrravenred, penbeast0

Who do you take?

Danilo Gallinari
19
35%
Nic Batum
36
65%
 
Total votes: 55

User avatar
lukekarts
Head Coach
Posts: 6,873
And1: 205
Joined: Dec 11, 2009
   

Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#1 » by lukekarts » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Both play SF, both are similar age, but the similarities end there.

Who do you think is the better player? Or more specifically, excluding contractual situations, who would you rather have over the next few years?
There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.

Own A Team - Utah Pioneers - best D in the league
Jrue Holiday / Lance Stephenson / Jabari Parker / Serge Ibaka / Marc Gasol
Avery Bradley / Archie Goodwin / Zach Randolph / Ante Tomic

User avatar
LoyalKing
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,508
And1: 171
Joined: May 05, 2011
     

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#2 » by LoyalKing » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:41 pm


User avatar
ronnymac2
General Manager
Posts: 7,588
And1: 1,554
Joined: Apr 11, 2008
   

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#3 » by ronnymac2 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:49 pm

Gallinari. He and Lawson will be co-anchoring top-5 offenses for Denver if they remain healthy.
“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”

User avatar
Aeternus
Senior
Posts: 672
And1: 17
Joined: Apr 28, 2011

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#4 » by Aeternus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm biased, but Gallo. Can do everything Batum does and then some.

Wasabi_Johnson
Starter
Posts: 2,157
And1: 254
Joined: Jan 07, 2012

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#5 » by Wasabi_Johnson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:16 pm

I don't even think its close. Gallo easily

User avatar
Fitz303
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,967
And1: 69
Joined: Oct 18, 2006

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#6 » by Fitz303 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:21 pm

The numbers are almost identical per minute, with Batum being a more efficient scorer, and a better defender. Gallinari has been putting up the numbers all year though, so I would have to give him the edge for now. But I would be shocked if Batum weren't right there with him by the end of the year. This is a very similar situation to Aldridge last season. Everyone was cautious about his inflated numbers, and wanted to see him do it for an entire season. We'll see if Batum can follow suit.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... 01&y2=2012

User avatar
Fitz303
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,967
And1: 69
Joined: Oct 18, 2006

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#7 » by Fitz303 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:22 pm

Aeternus wrote:I'm biased, but Gallo. Can do everything Batum does and then some.


Lol.. you haven't watched the 2 play defense then have you? That is half of the game

User avatar
Aeternus
Senior
Posts: 672
And1: 17
Joined: Apr 28, 2011

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#8 » by Aeternus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Fitz303 wrote:The numbers are almost identical per minute, with Batum being a more efficient scorer, and a better defender. Gallinari has been putting up the numbers all year though, so I would have to give him the edge for now. But I would be shocked if Batum weren't right there with him by the end of the year. This is a very similar situation to Aldridge last season. Everyone was cautious about his inflated numbers, and wanted to see him do it for an entire season. We'll see if Batum can follow suit.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... 01&y2=2012

Lol.. you haven't watched the 2 play defense then have you? That is half of the game

Are you trolling or just ignorant? Gallo was the best defender for Denver this season. They are basically on the same level as far as defense goes.
And lol at saying that a .6 ppg PER 36, 3.1 ppg non adjusted is almost the same when you then claim in Batum's advantage a .004 TS difference. At least I recognize my biases.

Wasabi_Johnson
Starter
Posts: 2,157
And1: 254
Joined: Jan 07, 2012

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#9 » by Wasabi_Johnson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Fitz303 wrote:
Aeternus wrote:I'm biased, but Gallo. Can do everything Batum does and then some.


Lol.. you haven't watched the 2 play defense then have you? That is half of the game

Gallo is no slouch on D. Probably defended Kobe best out of all defenders this year.

User avatar
Fitz303
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,967
And1: 69
Joined: Oct 18, 2006

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#10 » by Fitz303 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Aeternus wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:The numbers are almost identical per minute, with Batum being a more efficient scorer, and a better defender. Gallinari has been putting up the numbers all year though, so I would have to give him the edge for now. But I would be shocked if Batum weren't right there with him by the end of the year. This is a very similar situation to Aldridge last season. Everyone was cautious about his inflated numbers, and wanted to see him do it for an entire season. We'll see if Batum can follow suit.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... 01&y2=2012

Lol.. you haven't watched the 2 play defense then have you? That is half of the game

Are you trolling or just ignorant? Gallo was the best defender for Denver this season. They are basically on the same level as far as defense goes.
And lol at saying that a .6 ppg PER 36, 3.1 ppg non adjusted is almost the same when you then claim in Batum's advantage a .004 TS difference. At least I recognize my biases.


I said it's almost the same per36. Not adjusted, it's clearly Gallo, which is why I said that because Gallo has been doing this all season, I have to give him the overall edge still. As for his efficiency, it has actually gone up since his insertion into the starting lineup. He is shooting .495 from the field. Hence why I said WE'LL SEE if Batum can keep this up for good.

As for the defense. I'm not saying Gallo is a bad defender. Far from it. Sorry if it came across that way, but Batum is a better defender. It's that simple. Drtg has a 5 point difference. He is a much better shot blocker. Especially since switching to SG, Batum has been nothing short of spectacular on defense.

User avatar
Aeternus
Senior
Posts: 672
And1: 17
Joined: Apr 28, 2011

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#11 » by Aeternus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:00 pm

It's really unfair to use FG% with a player who scores almost exclusively at the lines and their TS% is basically the same despite Gallo operating on greater volume.
I understood you meant per36, I just wanted to make you notice how ridiculous was to ignore a 0.6 difference to focus on a .004 one. Of course the reasoning doesn't apply if you were referring to FG%, but really there's no reason to use that sta in the first place.

As far as defense goes, sorry if I answered aggressively, but the "lol" seemed to imply that the difference was great enough to make it laughably to compare them. Misunderstanding cleared.
That said, I might not even disagree that Batum is a slightly better defender, but using Drtg makes no sense when Batum plays on a clearly better defensive team where he's not even the best defensive player. His team's overall defensive performance does impact his individual Drtg.
I think that if there's a difference it is quite small.

User avatar
JustCame
Analyst
Posts: 3,354
And1: 132
Joined: Feb 02, 2011

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#12 » by JustCame » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Gallo

He's gonna be a key part in a championship run some time in the next 8 years. I guarantee it.

...not on the Nuggets though.

User avatar
Oden2
RealGM
Posts: 17,532
And1: 582
Joined: May 28, 2007
   

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#13 » by Oden2 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Blazer fan here picking Gallo. I think Batum can be on that level but he's not there yet.

The Sludge
Senior
Posts: 629
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 31, 2009

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#14 » by The Sludge » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:15 pm

As of right now, Gallinari is the better player. I'm actually very high on both of these players, and as a Raptors fan I'd kill to have either Gallinari's offense at our 3 spot or Batum's defense at our 3 spot.

A lot of the comments in this thread state how underrated of a defender Gallinari is. Admittedly, I hadn't watched the Nuggets enough this season to realize that. I think this is where the comparison is decided. Although Gallinari doesn't have the shot blocking ability that Batum has, he seems to have the potential to become as good of a defender as Batum. However, I don't believe Batum has the potetial to become the offensive player that Gallinari should one day become.

User avatar
GreenRiddler
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,204
And1: 440
Joined: May 19, 2012
     

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#15 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:53 pm

I think we can safely say Batum better shooter, passer, defender just as good at getting to the line.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... 01&y2=2013

User avatar
LoyalKing
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,508
And1: 171
Joined: May 05, 2011
     

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#16 » by LoyalKing » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:17 pm

based on a 6-game sample?

Plz stop it.

User avatar
GreenRiddler
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,204
And1: 440
Joined: May 19, 2012
     

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#17 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:46 am

LoyalKing wrote:based on a 6-game sample?

Plz stop it.

How bout 8? Clearly better. only LBJ Melo ad Durant better and LBJ is a Pf. :lol:

User avatar
BlackIce
Head Coach
Posts: 6,843
And1: 832
Joined: Jul 26, 2008
Contact:
 

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#18 » by BlackIce » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:48 am

GreenRiddler wrote:
LoyalKing wrote:based on a 6-game sample?

Plz stop it.

How bout 8? Clearly better. only LBJ Melo ad Durant better and LBJ is a Pf. :lol:

Deng. 19/7/3 on 50% FG.
Image
Image

Wizenheimer
RealGM
Posts: 25,373
And1: 1,447
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#19 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:54 pm

the comparison started out between Gallo, already playing in a system under a coach that used him properly

versus Batum, who was playing in a coach's system that limited his options and did not use his skills

this season, Batum has been given more freedom and is being utilized as a primary option. The result is that he has been performing and producing at a higher level that Gallo. It was a close cal before. This season, even though the sample size is small, it sure looks like Batum is the better player

User avatar
Aeternus
Senior
Posts: 672
And1: 17
Joined: Apr 28, 2011

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#20 » by Aeternus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Despite having apparently forgot how to shoot altogether, Gallo is still rebounding better (10.2 vs 9.3 TRB%) and passing just as well. He's also playing defense at the very least as good as Batum and their RAPM are not close at all: 1.56O 1.26D for Gallo and 0.76O -1.31D for Batum.

Also you can hardly say Gallo is being well utilized: he is 6'10, but always has to receive the ball at the three point line. What about some posting up or pick and roll with Lawson? He's supposedly one of the designated shooters for the Nuggets, but have you ever seen him get a screen to shoot out of? And who do you think has to shoot all the bailouts at the end of the clock? Also this season all the Nuggets offensive players have been playing badly, because the offense lacks a lot of spacing, and there's noone good enough to require double teams, taking heat away from the secondary options.

Used properly? Hah.
Gallo wishes he had an inside presence like Aldridge and someone to assist him on 83% of his jumpshots.


Return to “Player Comparisons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Matt15, Shem, zemarmotte