Nic Batum
65%

Total votes: 55

franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Re: Danilo Gallinari or Nicolas Batum 

Post#41 » by franktony » Sat Dec 1, 2012 3:18 am

Blazer fans once again with a knee jerk reaction about Batum. Five years with him and they still act the same way when Batum has a good 10-game spark. Overrate him like crazy and then disappear once Batum gets back to earth.

Batum's numbers In the last 6 games:

11ppg @ 33%FG and 27% from 3P

Batum is still the same inconsistent player. That's the key when we talk about a top 5 players in the league. Those guys can keep their performances during the whole year or during years, not only a 10-game spark. Batum is not top 5 SF and he has never been there.

The top 3 is still Lebron, Melo and Pierce and it has been like that for years. Nothing has changed. Batum still has to show more consistency to have a case over Deng, Iggy, AK and Granger.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
EtchenBa
Starter
And1: 573

Post#42 » by EtchenBa » Sat Dec 1, 2012 5:24 am

franktony wrote:Blazer fans once again with a knee jerk reaction about Batum. Five years with him and they still act the same way when Batum has a good 10-game spark. Overrate him like crazy and then disappear once Batum gets back to earth.

Batum is still the same inconsistent player. That's the key when we talk about a top 5 players in the league. Those guys can keep their performances during the whole year or during years, not only a 10-game spark. Batum is not top 5 SF and he has never been there.

The top 3 is still Lebron, Melo and Pierce and it has been like that for years. Nothing has changed. Batum still has to show more consistency to have a case over Deng, Iggy, AK and Granger.

C'mon, really?
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#43 » by franktony » Sat Dec 1, 2012 11:37 am

My bad for forgetting my boy KD, who is the 2nd best SF

Correcting it - Lebron, KD, Melo and Pierce.

Again, Batum is not a top 5 SF and has never been one.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
SunKing
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,509

Post#44 » by SunKing » Sat Dec 1, 2012 4:56 pm

Funny fact about this thread is that Gallinari and Batum know and have been up against eacher since they are 15. To me it seems like Gallo always has been the "best" or shown the best actual production but Nic always has been the one with the incredible potential and teasing all the expert with his possible capacities.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#45 » by Jack wore plaid » Mon Dec 3, 2012 4:04 pm

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
Fitz303 wrote:
Aeternus wrote:I'm biased, but Gallo. Can do everything Batum does and then some.

Lol.. you haven't watched the 2 play defense then have you? That is half of the game

Gallo is no slouch on D. Probably defended Kobe best out of all defenders this year.

Don't sell him short, Gallo is a huge slouch on D
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,424

Post#46 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:09 am

franktony wrote:Blazer fans once again with a knee jerk reaction about Batum. Five years with him and they still act the same way when Batum has a good 10-game spark. Overrate him like crazy and then disappear once Batum gets back to earth.

com'on he was playing injured and now that he is not he is finding he groove back. I still think Batum is playing better than Gallo this year and will for years to come, it will be fun to watch them Thursday night. When was the last time Gallo had Had at least 5 in 5 different category's? NEVER. Also Tony, Batum is a top 5 SF only ones clear-cut better are the 4 you mentioned Peirce LBJ KD and Melo
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Post#47 » by Johnny Firpo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:19 pm

What is this nonsense again with Gallo's defense? He's one of the better defenders at the poisition when he's healthy. This year he's obviously struggling, and Denver's defense is very bad. They started to play better though, and Gallo as well, his percentages and TS% are rising steadily in the last couple weeks. They'll easily make the playoffs, and if they can do something about that defense, they can beat any team, sans the Thunder.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,424

Post#48 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:42 am

Yea Gallo 1 for 10 4pts batum with 22.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#49 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:01 am

Is there still any doubt?
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,530

Post#50 » by Rapcity_11 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:24 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Is there still any doubt?

Um, yeah.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#51 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:35 am

They are both shooting horrible percentages once they became more focal points of their respective teams offenses.

Batum has the nod in most non biased minds because even when he is inconsistent on offense he is still a bigger difference maker on the defensive side of the ball compared to Gallinari.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#52 » by moss_is_1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:28 am

Blame Rasho wrote:They are both shooting horrible percentages once they became more focal points of their respective teams offenses.

Batum has the nod in most non biased minds because even when he is inconsistent on offense he is still a bigger difference maker on the defensive side of the ball compared to Gallinari.

I don't know if he is though. Batum is an overrated defender, while still a pretty solid one...Gallo is very underrated on the defensive end. He's struggled with his shot the last couple of years while being the main guy, but still been pretty efficient(56 TS% last year).

I think Denver trading for Iggy has set the team back. Lawson/Gallo have struggled more from having him on the team.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#53 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:44 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:I don't know if he is though. Batum is an overrated defender, while still a pretty solid one...Gallo is very underrated on the defensive end. .

hello 100% opinion

here's the problem with that statement: there is no context for overrated and underrated. Are the people that believe Batum is the better defender overrating Batum or underrating Gallo? How about for you who apparently believes the inverse?

seems like every time somebody says Batum is a good defender, somebody else says he's not. That doesn't seem to fit an overrated consensus

personally, I think Gallo is a good defender. I just happen to believe Batum is better and more versatile. Batum usually starts a game defending the opponent's best wing scorer. But often, during a game, Batum will be switched onto any PG (or other wing) that is torching the Blazers. That happened against San Antonio recently when Batum shut down Tony Parker in the 4th Q. It happened against Denver when Batum spent most of the game crushing Gallo defensively (1-10 on FG's, no assists), but spent some of the 4th Q guarding Lawson & Andre Miller. And it happened last night as Batum spent most of the game shutting down Evan Turner, but switched to guarding Holiday, who had torched Portland in the first 3 quarters. Suddenly, Holiday couldn't make a shot and was making bad passes. Funny how that worked out

Batum will defend, usually solidly, any player from a PG to a stretch-PF. He usually takes the best offensive player from the other team. Considering he's playing a completely new role offensively in a new system under a new coach, that's a lot of responsibility.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#54 » by moss_is_1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:I don't know if he is though. Batum is an overrated defender, while still a pretty solid one...Gallo is very underrated on the defensive end. .

hello 100% opinion

here's the problem with that statement: there is no context for overrated and underrated. Are the people that believe Batum is the better defender overrating Batum or underrating Gallo? How about for you who apparently believes the inverse?

seems like every time somebody says Batum is a good defender, somebody else says he's not. That doesn't seem to fit an overrated consensus

personally, I think Gallo is a good defender. I just happen to believe Batum is better and more versatile. Batum usually starts a game defending the opponent's best wing scorer. But often, during a game, Batum will be switched onto any PG (or other wing) that is torching the Blazers. That happened against San Antonio recently when Batum shut down Tony Parker in the 4th Q. It happened against Denver when Batum spent most of the game crushing Gallo defensively (1-10 on FG's, no assists), but spent some of the 4th Q guarding Lawson & Andre Miller. And it happened last night as Batum spent most of the game shutting down Evan Turner, but switched to guarding Holiday, who had torched Portland in the first 3 quarters. Suddenly, Holiday couldn't make a shot and was making bad passes. Funny how that worked out

Batum will defend, usually solidly, any player from a PG to a stretch-PF. He usually takes the best offensive player from the other team. Considering he's playing a completely new role offensively in a new system under a new coach, that's a lot of responsibility.

I guess I thought my opinion was implied when I started by saying " I don't know if he is." People are always calling Batum a "lockdown defender" and Gallo a terrible defender. I'd say Batum is definitely a more versatile defender because of his length/athleticism, where Gallo has a bit more bulk in him to defend the bigger players.

It's really a matter of preference who you would take.Batum mastered being a role-player early on, while Gallo looks like he can shoulder more of an offensive load(creating consistently for himself and others), while Batum will show flashes of it and then disappear.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#55 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:43 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:I guess I thought my opinion was implied when I started by saying " I don't know if he is." People are always calling Batum a "lockdown defender" and Gallo a terrible defender. I'd say Batum is definitely a more versatile defender because of his length/athleticism, where Gallo has a bit more bulk in him to defend the bigger players.

too much generalizing IMO. I rarely see regular Blazers fans calling Batum a lockdown defender. He has lock downed people sometimes, but other times no. Generally, he plays good defense, but as you alluded to, his mass doesn't allow hime to play physical defense against bigger players

I'm not sure who has said Gallo is a "terrible defender". That might be a bit of a straw man seeing as how I think that would be a fairly unsupportable evaluation

It's really a matter of preference who you would take.Batum mastered being a role-player early on, while Gallo looks like he can shoulder more of an offensive load(creating consistently for himself and others), while Batum will show flashes of it and then disappear.

first off, players the caliber of Batum or Gallo are rarely consistent. Those that are consistent are almost always consistent at a fairly low level offensively

and somehow, I don't think "mastered being a role-player early on" is a complement. Nor it is a recognition of just how poorly Nate McMillan used Batum offensively for almost 4 seasons. Nate had Batum basically stationed in the baseline corners while Roy, Aldridge, and Andre Miller played ISO.

But we got glimpses of what Batum was capable of when he spent a lot of time playing point-forward for the French National Team. And finally, this season, the Blazer offensive system has changed dramatically and Batum's playmaking abilities are being utilized

even with the divergence in roles that Gallo and Batum have played in their careers, Their per36 assist numbers are exactly the same: 2.1 assists/36

But Batum is averaging 4.3 assists a game this year compared to Gallo at 2.5. Furthermore, as Batum has begun to settle into his role, his assist numbers are increasing dramatically. In the month of December, Batum is averaging 6 assists a game

these are his individual game assist numbers since 12/1: 7, 4, 2, 8, 10, 3, 8, 8, 5, 8, 8

Gallo has had one game when he's had at least 8 assists; Batum has had 6 games reaching that mark. Gallo has had 1 game when he had over 5 assists or better. Batum has had 11 such games. Gallo has had 7 games with 4 or more assists; Batum has had 16 games

to assert, at this point, that Gallo "looks like" he can create more for teammates is loopy. It wasn't the case before this season, and it's definitely not the case now.

Gallo may be better at creating for himself. He is assisted on a lower percentage of his FG's then Batum, and he gets to the FT line more.

At the same time, Gallo actually shoots a little higher percentage of jumpshots then Batum (80% vs 78%). That probably explains why they are both shooting a low percentage on their FG's this year. A player who predominately creates jumpshots for himself will almost always have lower efficincy metrics. But again, Batum is in the process of adjusting to a new role

Return to Player Comparisons