RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread

Moderators: tsherkin, Doctor MJ, nate33, penbeast0, rrravenred

User avatar
MacGill
Starter
Posts: 2,314
And1: 298
Joined: May 29, 2010
Location: Rollin in my 5.0
     

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#256 » by MacGill » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:24 pm

ElGee wrote:
Ardee wrote:But that's exactly my point for Kareem. You say Malone was a top 5 player for 13 years, one can argue Kareem was THE best player from '70-'80 (maybe except for '75 and '76), and then a top 5-6 player until '85, (heck, he was no. 3 in RPOY voting in '85 at the age of 38).

And if you want to talk about non-center competition as well, then Kareem's is just as good as Malone's if not better (assuming that '86 was the last year Kareem was a top 10 player): Wilt (4 years), Gilmore (4), Unseld (4), Walton (2), Moses (7), Doc (6-7), Bird (7), Magic (7) (assuming that we're talking about his competition in the best player in the league discussion and not on the court), Gervin (5-6), Moncrief (4-5), early Barkley, Hakeem and Jordan, and West (3).


Right...but that's why people have Kareem top-3 and I'm the only guy outside of Utah with Malone top-10. But you're also making MacGill's point: If you look at 88-00 for Malone -- not JUST longevity, but the sustained quality of the longevity -- it's really only matched by Kareem 70-82, with both players having other relevant seasons outside their primes. He said he's "more impressed" by Karl, but I assume that doesn't mean he's ranking him over Cap.

Simply that you have to go through such loopholes to mention post-prime players very much makes his point about competition. The 70's was lighter on elite players compared to the 90's...I'm surprised you disagree with this. As for your statement about post-prime Kareem, I have him 7th in 1984 and 8th in 1985 and think you should consider the context of the people who voted him 3rd in the RPOY project and the emphasis on the FInals series there -- I personally wouldn't take 85 Kareem over any year from 87-01 Malone, save for specific circumstances, which again speaks to Ardee's point.


Yes, I do not rank Malone over KAJ.
Image
User avatar
ardee
Head Coach
Posts: 6,173
And1: 1,413
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Location: Caught in the undertow
   

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#257 » by ardee » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:05 pm

ElGee wrote:Right...but that's why people have Kareem top-3 and I'm the only guy outside of Utah with Malone top-10.


You rank Malone in the top 10? Interesting. I'm guessing that means you have him over Garnett unless you're throwing both Kobe as well as Wilt out haha. Haven't seen a list from you since the Top 100 project, what does your top 15-20 look like ElGee?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 33,340
And1: 3,094
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Treys are for Kicks!
     

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#258 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Nov 4, 2012 7:38 am

Hey y'all,

People see extremely distracted right now. I'm guessing that the fact that the NBA season has started has something to do with it. Currently planning to continue the project as is, but I'm open to suggestion.

Longer time for threads?

Take a little bit of a break?

Let me know your thoughts.
User avatar
lorak
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,565
And1: 1,158
Joined: Nov 23, 2009

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#259 » by lorak » Sun Nov 4, 2012 11:45 am

I see only two solutions:
1. end project and name it "top 35 peaks"
2. every panel member will send to you (or some volunteer) his list of 15 players peaks in order and we will count (15 pts for 1st place, 14 for 2nd and so on). That way we will have at least finished list. Of course no discussion, but honestly, there's not many discussion in recent thread ;/
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Max Ehrmann, "Desiderata"
User avatar
ardee
Head Coach
Posts: 6,173
And1: 1,413
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Location: Caught in the undertow
   

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#260 » by ardee » Sun Nov 4, 2012 12:42 pm

DavidStern wrote:I see only two solutions:
1. end project and name it "top 35 peaks"
2. every panel member will send to you (or some volunteer) his list of 15 players peaks in order and we will count (15 pts for 1st place, 14 for 2nd and so on). That way we will have at least finished list. Of course no discussion, but honestly, there's not many discussion in recent thread ;/


I would think we could take a break and regroup after a week, but if the project really is going no ware according to everyone, the second option is definitely better.
User avatar
penbeast0
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 15,200
And1: 1,037
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Location: Hoping for a ride on the John Wall Bandwagon

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#261 » by penbeast0 » Sun Nov 4, 2012 3:42 pm

Sort of surprised to see Cowens make the top 35; he was like Chauncey Billups in the early 2000s, the team leader and a very good player but it was a huge upset when he outplayed Kareem or even held him to a draw.

I'm not in the project but seriously . . . ahead of Pettit's championship season? A bit surprised. Wouldn't surprise me that contemporary Artis Gilmore ranked ahead of Cowens 73 too, at least his 75 season.
[quote="Nivek"] This post could come only from a Wizards fan. It somehow combines delusional optimism with soul-crushing pessimism.
colts18
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,844
And1: 1,661
Joined: Jun 29, 2009

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#262 » by colts18 » Sun Nov 4, 2012 4:48 pm

How about ending the project at top 40.

Have a 1 week break with a thread where we discuss upcoming candidates and nominate like 10 or so, then in each thread we choose from those nominations which player we want.
2001-2013 Prior informed and non prior informed RAPM

https://sites.google.com/site/rapmstats/
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 33,340
And1: 3,094
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Treys are for Kicks!
     

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#263 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Nov 4, 2012 5:25 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Sort of surprised to see Cowens make the top 35; he was like Chauncey Billups in the early 2000s, the team leader and a very good player but it was a huge upset when he outplayed Kareem or even held him to a draw.

I'm not in the project but seriously . . . ahead of Pettit's championship season? A bit surprised. Wouldn't surprise me that contemporary Artis Gilmore ranked ahead of Cowens 73 too, at least his 75 season.


beast, note my post from last night. We're really struggling to get participation right now. Until that gets better, it goes without saying that the results might not look so great.
User avatar
Dr Positivity
RealGM
Posts: 31,455
And1: 1,215
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
       

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#264 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Nov 4, 2012 5:37 pm

I vote for ending the project at 35 or 40
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 33,340
And1: 3,094
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Treys are for Kicks!
     

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#265 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Nov 4, 2012 6:00 pm

I'll add one more note:

If we seriously consider ending this early, when I already made it a point up front to chop the project in half compared to what we normally do, what is the problem?
User avatar
penbeast0
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 15,200
And1: 1,037
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Location: Hoping for a ride on the John Wall Bandwagon

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#266 » by penbeast0 » Sun Nov 4, 2012 9:03 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:Sort of surprised to see Cowens make the top 35; he was like Chauncey Billups in the early 2000s, the team leader and a very good player but it was a huge upset when he outplayed Kareem or even held him to a draw.

I'm not in the project but seriously . . . ahead of Pettit's championship season? A bit surprised. Wouldn't surprise me that contemporary Artis Gilmore ranked ahead of Cowens 73 too, at least his 75 season.


beast, note my post from last night. We're really struggling to get participation right now. Until that gets better, it goes without saying that the results might not look so great.


I saw it, I was trying to generate some of that discussion you were looking for. :wink:
[quote="Nivek"] This post could come only from a Wizards fan. It somehow combines delusional optimism with soul-crushing pessimism.
User avatar
Dr Positivity
RealGM
Posts: 31,455
And1: 1,215
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
       

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#267 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Nov 4, 2012 9:11 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:I'll add one more note:

If we seriously consider ending this early, when I already made it a point up front to chop the project in half compared to what we normally do, what is the problem?


Very small voting pool missing many of the key posters of the best top 100 and RPOY threads
User avatar
fatal9
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,310
And1: 431
Joined: Sep 13, 2009

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#268 » by fatal9 » Sun Nov 4, 2012 9:27 pm

For me, it's more of a not enough time to process everyone who should get talked about. My interest is still there for sure. As you get deeper and deeper into these lists, there end up being more and more guys who are on the same level so it becomes harder to separate them. I was pushing back my vote because I was undecided (I'm fine with Cowens getting in btw, I just would have picked a different year) but then forgot about the deadline completely. Maybe move it to 1 week per thread for a bit? It gives time to lay out arguments for everyone (the wings, the centers and the PGs who haven't even really been discussed yet). I'm guessing it can't hurt, especially with NBA season serving as a distraction now.
bastillon
Head Coach
Posts: 6,577
And1: 247
Joined: Feb 13, 2009
Location: jumpin both feet on the Jeremy Lin bandwagon

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#269 » by bastillon » Mon Nov 5, 2012 8:34 am

yup, not enough time for discussion, top40 finish
Quotatious wrote: Bastillon is Hakeem. Combines style and substance.
User avatar
ardee
Head Coach
Posts: 6,173
And1: 1,413
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Location: Caught in the undertow
   

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#270 » by ardee » Tue Nov 6, 2012 4:38 pm

Unrelated to the current discussion, question directed to colts18:

How did you calculate standard deviation for MOV in the 11th highest peak thread? You said you were calculating it w.r.t. the mean of the other teams. Does that mean you calculate the average MOV of the other 29 teams, calculate out the variance of team 1's MOV w.r.t. the mean and then find out the standard deviation via square root?
colts18
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,844
And1: 1,661
Joined: Jun 29, 2009

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#271 » by colts18 » Tue Nov 6, 2012 4:59 pm

ardee wrote:Unrelated to the current discussion, question directed to colts18:

How did you calculate standard deviation for MOV in the 11th highest peak thread? You said you were calculating it w.r.t. the mean of the other teams. Does that mean you calculate the average MOV of the other 29 teams, calculate out the variance of team 1's MOV w.r.t. the mean and then find out the standard deviation via square root?

I believe you are referring to the Walton discussion.

I replaced the Blazers MOV with the MOV with Walton in, then I calculated how many SD they were from the league mean MOV (slightly above 0.00). Based on that I got around a 2.7 SD for the Walton Blazers.
2001-2013 Prior informed and non prior informed RAPM

https://sites.google.com/site/rapmstats/
User avatar
ardee
Head Coach
Posts: 6,173
And1: 1,413
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Location: Caught in the undertow
   

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#272 » by ardee » Tue Nov 6, 2012 7:20 pm

colts18 wrote:
ardee wrote:Unrelated to the current discussion, question directed to colts18:

How did you calculate standard deviation for MOV in the 11th highest peak thread? You said you were calculating it w.r.t. the mean of the other teams. Does that mean you calculate the average MOV of the other 29 teams, calculate out the variance of team 1's MOV w.r.t. the mean and then find out the standard deviation via square root?

I believe you are referring to the Walton discussion.

I replaced the Blazers MOV with the MOV with Walton in, then I calculated how many SD they were from the league mean MOV (slightly above 0.00). Based on that I got around a 2.7 SD for the Walton Blazers.


So the average MOV of the league is always 0 right? The Blazers' MOV with Walton in '78 was +10, so to figure out the average MOV of the other 21 teams it would be -10/21.

Variance would be |x-mean|, giving us something like 10.46, the square root of which is 3.23?

Obviously that's different from your answer. Sorry to be a pain but could you walk me through how you arrived at that number? I'm just curious because I was always fascinated by Walton's in/out impact, and if his team was actually better then the '96 freaking Bulls in some form of measure, I'd be interested to know how haha.
colts18
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,844
And1: 1,661
Joined: Jun 29, 2009

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#273 » by colts18 » Tue Nov 6, 2012 7:36 pm

ardee wrote:So the average MOV of the league is always 0 right? The Blazers' MOV with Walton in '78 was +10, so to figure out the average MOV of the other 21 teams it would be -10/21.

Variance would be |x-mean|, giving us something like 10.46, the square root of which is 3.23?

Obviously that's different from your answer. Sorry to be a pain but could you walk me through how you arrived at that number? I'm just curious because I was always fascinated by Walton's in/out impact, and if his team was actually better then the '96 freaking Bulls in some form of measure, I'd be interested to know how haha.

Yeah the league average MOV is always 0 but for my calculations it was slightly above 0 since I just replaced the Blazers numbers with Walton's full season numbers. I wasn't going to spend the time to make the
adjustments to make the league average 0.

I replaced the Blazers 5.59 MOV with the +8.4 they had with Walton

Rk Team MOV ▾
1 Portland Trail Blazers* 8.4
2 Denver Nuggets* 5.22
3 Philadelphia 76ers* 3.94
4 Golden State Warriors* 3.22
5 Los Angeles Lakers* 2.72
6 Houston Rockets* 1.61
7 Cleveland Cavaliers* 1.12
8 Washington Bullets* 1.02
9 Chicago Bulls* 0.9
10 Kansas City Kings 0.88
11 Phoenix Suns 0.73
12 San Antonio Spurs* 0.61
13 New York Knicks -0.01
14 Detroit Pistons* -1.04
15 Seattle SuperSonics -1.55
16 Indiana Pacers -1.77
17 Boston Celtics* -1.98
18 New Orleans Jazz -2.82
19 Milwaukee Bucks -3.12
20 Atlanta Hawks -4.06
21 Buffalo Braves -4.44
22 New York Nets -6.78


league average MOV 0.13
Standard Deviation 3.44
Blazers minus League Average 8.27
Z score with Walton 2.40
2001-2013 Prior informed and non prior informed RAPM

https://sites.google.com/site/rapmstats/
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 33,340
And1: 3,094
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Treys are for Kicks!
     

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#274 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Nov 8, 2012 1:47 am

Alright folks, so what I'm seeing is no immediate signs that the project is going to come back to life.

On the other hand, a 35 project just lacks any kind of credibility, so I don't see any benefit to giving up just yet. Here's what I'm planning at the moment:

We're going to go to 40.

We're going to do a thread per week.

When we near 40 I'll ask people's thoughts. If there isn't more pull to go on, we'll stop it at 40.

Re: The idea of you guys sending me a list. Changing up voting methods so drastically at this point to me makes the list meaningless. It's quite possible we'll do the next project in such a less time-intensive manner, but this one, for better or worse, will continue as is for at least 5 more threads.

C'mon guys, let's finish this up in a solid manner.
User avatar
ardee
Head Coach
Posts: 6,173
And1: 1,413
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Location: Caught in the undertow
   

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#275 » by ardee » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Would anyone be interested in the idea of submitting a ballot with your top 20, 30 or 40, how many ever, at the end of the project, and then just totaling the results to see how they contrast the actual list? Would be a fun exercise IMO, would show how much we learnt.

Return to Player Comparisons