56%

Total votes: 82

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,180

Re: Deron Williams vs. Rajon Rondo 

Post#61 » by tsherkin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:54 pm

GYBE wrote:I agree with this. If you had said "Rondo was one of a few factors that cost them that series," I wouldn't have a problem. In both this thread and the "pure PG" one from a week ago you start off with

I don't always feel like hashing out my entire opinion every time I post, sometimes I just want to focus on one element. It's not false that if Rondo hadn't sucked ass as a scorer when it counted, they would have won the title, so I don't always need to say everything I've already said previously.

But I hope you can see how the original comments might incite some people.

That's kind of more of a "them" problem than a "me" problem. If they ask for an explanation, I give one. If they just infer things and react on that basis, I snicker, and move on. *shrugs* Anyone who cares to pay attention knows that I don't form opinions without a lot of strong objective basis to my reasoning and I would never ignore obvious issues like Ray's injury-related performance or Garnett's feeble rebounding, frontcourt FT shooting, Perkins being a non-factor offensively, Nate Robinson sucking, etc. There were lots of reasons they lost, but a couple of them (notably the scoring performances of Ray and Rondo) were significant enough that a change in either would have turned the series... which was already a pretty tight 7-game affair.
GetItDone
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#62 » by GetItDone » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Oh, and after all the trashing of Deron and did in this thread, i'd still take him over Rondo. :D

The Celtics have not skipped a beat any time Rondo missed time. That is pretty telling when you replace him with not even a real PG in Bradley and they still play the same basketball. It's also not a coincidence that Boston's offense has now been ranked so low since the Big 3 has declined and Rondo's numbers have gotten better.
ThatsWhatIShved wrote:Disrespectfull thread. I would take 06 Arenas over Lebron. Other than traveling and suspected PED use, what does Lebron have over Gil?
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#63 » by KGboss » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:21 pm

thizznation wrote:Deron vs Rondo

Better Passer - Wash
Better Shooter - Deron
Best All Around - Deron
Best Scorer - Deron
Best Defense - Rondo

Rondo has had maturity problems in the past. His lack of a jumpshot poor free throw shooting really hurts. And there has been more and more data compiled around RealGM showing that defense for point guards really doesn't really have a large impact.

Is this a joke?

Rondo is the better passer, Rondo is the better all around guard (and by you saying dwill i go ahead and think you dont know what this term means) - he is the best rebounding guard, won the assist award last season, and scored when he needed to. The only thing Deron has on Rondo is his scoring and shooting - thats it, everything else goes to Rondo. BBIQ - Rondo, Rebounding - Rondo, Playmaking - Rondo, Passer - Rondo, Defense - Rondo.

Dwill is #3 for Pg's right now behind Rondo and CP3.
KGboss
RealGM

Post#64 » by KGboss » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:23 pm

GetItDone wrote:Oh, and after all the trashing of Deron and did in this thread, i'd still take him over Rondo. :D

The Celtics have not skipped a beat any time Rondo missed time. That is pretty telling when you replace him with not even a real PG in Bradley and they still play the same basketball. It's also not a coincidence that Boston's offense has now been ranked so low since the Big 3 has declined and Rondo's numbers have gotten better.

Probably because Pierce is an excellent point forward, and he is the one who takes over distribution duties while Rondo is out. This isnt a reflection of how little impact Rondo has on his team, but how good Pierce is as a playmaker / offensive quarterback to keep up with him.
GetItDone
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#65 » by GetItDone » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:24 pm

KGboss wrote:

Better Passer - Wash
Better Shooter - Deron
Best All Around - Deron
Best Scorer - Deron
Best Defense - Rondo

Rondo has had maturity problems in the past. His lack of a jumpshot poor free throw shooting really hurts. And there has been more and more data compiled around RealGM showing that defense for point guards really doesn't really have a large impact.

Is this a joke?

Rondo is the better passer, Rondo is the better all around guard (and by you saying dwill i go ahead and think you dont know what this term means) - he is the best rebounding guard, wont the assist award last season, and scored when he needed to. The only thing Deron has on Rondo is his scoring and shooting - thats it, everything else goes to Rondo. BBIQ - Rondo, Rebounding - Rondo, Playmaking - Rondo, Passer - Rondo, Defense - Rondo.

Deron is the better shooter, better PnR, both same in protecting the ball, and he's a better passer.

Where is the great Rondo passing on a consistent basis? I don't see it. He has his flashy passes here and there, but majority of his assists are tossing it over to shooters for a pick and pop.
ThatsWhatIShved wrote:Disrespectfull thread. I would take 06 Arenas over Lebron. Other than traveling and suspected PED use, what does Lebron have over Gil?
KGboss
RealGM

Post#66 » by KGboss » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:26 pm

GetItDone wrote:
KGboss wrote:

Better Passer - Wash
Better Shooter - Deron
Best All Around - Deron
Best Scorer - Deron
Best Defense - Rondo

Is this a joke?

Rondo is the better passer, Rondo is the better all around guard (and by you saying dwill i go ahead and think you dont know what this term means) - he is the best rebounding guard, wont the assist award last season, and scored when he needed to. The only thing Deron has on Rondo is his scoring and shooting - thats it, everything else goes to Rondo. BBIQ - Rondo, Rebounding - Rondo, Playmaking - Rondo, Passer - Rondo, Defense - Rondo.

Deron is the better shooter, better PnR, both same in protecting the ball, and he's a better passer.

Where is the great Rondo passing on a consistent basis? I don't see it. He has his flashy passes here and there, but majority of his assists were tossing it over to shooters for a pick and pop.

So you are asking me to go back and show you every pass over the last 5 years where he shines? Thats way too much work, and the data would overload to the point where it would not only waste my time, but yours as well, because you would look foolish by saying what you just said.

Do you watch Rondo at all or just the couple games that come on ESPN once in a while?
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,093

Post#67 » by therealbig3 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:47 pm

BTW, not only was it 12 games with a crappy roster in 2011, but Deron had a severely injured wrist that needed surgery in the off-season (which is why his shooting sucked after the trade, but his assists skyrocketed).

And in the 12 games Deron played, using the possessions data from BR, the Nets posted a 107.9 ORating against an average DRating of 106.9 (+1.0). So Deron with an injured wrist still had the Nets playing above average on offense (and let's be clear, that supporting cast DID suck, just not as epically as 2012).

I'm not even going to get into 2012, tsherkin already did a great job of breaking that down.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#68 » by StojkoVrankovic » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:16 pm

GetItDone wrote:Deron is the better shooter, better PnR, both same in protecting the ball, and he's a better passer.

Where is the great Rondo passing on a consistent basis? I don't see it. He has his flashy passes here and there, but majority of his assists are tossing it over to shooters for a pick and pop.

Better shooter? I guess he just took last year off
Better PnR? Rondo/Kg was among the best on the league
Same protecting the ball? Rondo is better
Dwill is a better passer? We talking about basketball here? Rondo is an elite passer/playmaker. This is coming from someone who lives in NY and has easily seen more DWill than you over the last few years.

Where are DWill's great passes? Heck of a lot less than Rondo
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
TheXFactor
Banned User
And1: 31

Post#69 » by TheXFactor » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:21 pm

D Will over Rondo easily.

As for stats, D Will is is moderate in all catergories, just not the greatest
Strange Clouds
Banned User
And1: 222

Post#70 » by Strange Clouds » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:23 am

I'll take Dwill
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#71 » by therealbig3 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:39 am

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
GetItDone wrote:Deron is the better shooter, better PnR, both same in protecting the ball, and he's a better passer.

Better shooter? I guess he just took last year off
Better PnR? Rondo/Kg was among the best on the league
Same protecting the ball? Rondo is better
Dwill is a better passer? We talking about basketball here? Rondo is an elite passer/playmaker. This is coming from someone who lives in NY and has easily seen more DWill than you over the last few years.

Where are DWill's great passes? Heck of a lot less than Rondo

Yes he's a better shooter, even with the way he shot last year. And that was one bad shooting season from him, every other year he's been a great shooter. But even last year:

Deron: 34% from 3 (6.2 3PA/game), 84% from the line (5.5 FTA/game), 39% from 16-23 feet (4.5 FGA/game)

Rondo: 24% from 3 (0.8 3PA/game), 60% from the line (3.4 FTA/game), 39% from 16-23 feet (2.9 FGA/game)

Deron is better in the PnR because he's a comparable passer that shoots a lot better. He's a significantly greater offensive threat. I mean, have you seen how easy KG makes Rondo's job? And despite Rondo/KG being one of the best in the league, the Celtics had a worse offense than the Nets last year. Who had better offensive talent around them?

Deron averaged 3.9 TO per 36 last year. Rondo averaged 3.6 TO per 36 last year. Deron's TOV% last year was 16.7%. Rondo's was 22.8%. I'd say on a team with much less offensive support and thus facing much more defensive pressure, Deron took care of the ball better.

Rondo might be a better technical passer than Deron, but not really by much, and the reason why people notice Rondo's assists more is because that's pretty much ALL he does on offense, while Deron also looks to score at times. And anyway, it's about the overall pressure you put on the defense, and Deron puts more pressure on the defense, because he's an extremely capable scorer that can "take over" if he needs to. Rondo is an excellent passer, but he also overpasses a lot, because he can't effectively score on a consistent basis.

And the "I live in NY and so I watch a ton of games" is such a cop-out excuse...so what? You've watched every second of every game? And you don't conveniently "forget" Deron's great passes, even accidentally? And just because he's not as flashy with his passes and tends to make the basic, effective passes when they are available doesn't mean he's any less impressive as a passer (even though I admit that Rondo is a slightly better passer from a technical standpoint). I mean, this is like the J-Kidd vs Nash debate in terms of who's the better passer. Yeah, you could argue Kidd, because he was a frikin awesome passer with amazing court vision...but does it even matter? At the end of the day, Nash is a much more dangerous offensive player, and his passing has more impact than Kidd's.
LakersSquad
Analyst
And1: 132

Post#72 » by LakersSquad » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:40 am

LOL rondo is not the reason they loss the 2010 finals. Fisher has less effect on the games than Rondo. the better team won by a small margin.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#73 » by therealbig3 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:00 am

LakersSquad wrote:LOL rondo is not the reason they loss the 2010 finals. Fisher has less effect on the games than Rondo. the better team won by a small margin.

But here's how I see it, and I mention this especially when people bring up how successful the Celtics have been and try to use that to prop up Rondo over guys like Westbrook and Deron.

Replace Rondo in the 2010 Finals with any one of Westbrook, Deron, Paul, Rose, Nash...hell, even Tony Parker or Stephen Curry. Imagine them being defended the way Kobe defended Rondo. Does that series even go 7 games? The Celtics destroy the Lakers, because any one of those PGs would have carved them a new one. Rondo was given a wide open 18-20 foot midrange jumper pretty much every time down the court and he couldn't do anything. You give a shot like that to CP3 or Deron or Nash, and they'll destroy you. And just by showing that ability to burn you from midrange, Kobe can't plant himself inside the paint anymore, and actually has to go out there and guard them...which will open up new opportunities for them in the PnR or in iso situations. The Celtics offense improves dramatically. Look at the series that Deron, Nash, Paul, and Westbrook have had against the Lakers over the years.

Now is there any situation where you could have replaced Deron/Paul/Rose/Westbrook/Nash with Rondo, and that team gets better, or exploits a matchup better?
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#74 » by therealbig3 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:18 am

All of these numbers are per 36:

08 Deron vs Lakers: 18.5 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 9.5 apg, 2.3 TOpg, 59.4% TS

09 Deron vs Lakers: 17.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 9.2 apg, 3.6 TOpg, 57.4% TS

10 Deron vs Lakers: 20.2 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 8.0 apg, 2.8 TOpg, 55.3% TS

11 Paul vs Lakers: 19.0 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 9.9 apg, 3.2 TOpg, 67.0% TS

06 Nash vs Lakers: 19.6 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 8.5 apg, 3.4 TOpg, 63.3% TS

07 Nash vs Lakers: 16.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 14.0 apg, 4.2 TOpg, 53.7% TS

10 Nash vs Lakers: 19.3 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 12.9 apg, 2.9 TOpg, 64.0% TS

10 Westbrook vs Lakers: 20.9 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 6.1 apg, 2.4 TOpg, 57.1% TS

12 Westbrook vs Lakers: 25.7 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 4.6 apg, 0.8 TOpg, 55.4% TS
thizznation
Starter
And1: 778

Post#75 » by thizznation » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:34 am

KGBoss, I dont really call raw assist totals an indicator of a better passer, especially due to different roles and circumstances (simplest example is being bad at shooting obviously leads to you having to pass more and having Ray Allen, KG, and Paul Pierce to kick it too isn't really hurting you either.)

I've seen more of Rondo than Deron, (more Boston games are nationally televised) and I have to say I don't see anything that shows that Rondo is a better passer.

Defense and Rebounding, it's pretty easy to see that Rondo is better. He is an elite athlete with huge wingspan and super lateral quickness... You could say he and Jrue Holliday are the best defending PG's in the league.

Shooting; we don't even really have to discuss this.

Like I said before, if you have read some of the threads on Defensive PG's you will see that their impact is negligible. Sure it's a nice cherry on top to have a pg be able to defend well and be a great rebounder but it is nothing compared to the whole Sunday.

My personal favorite playoff moment from Rondo
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSfP8HR7dOY[/youtube]
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#76 » by PetroNet » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:29 pm

I think people are not grasping exactly how bad the talent around dwill has been since becoming a Net. First off, lets put it all in perspective by saying this:

The Nets, in the prior 1.5 seasons before the Dwill trade, had a record of:

28-124

Twenty-Eight wins. One Hundred and Twenty-four loses.

and that was a team with devin harris/favors/healthy lopez. Dwill had to play with that same cast of scrubs sans all 3 of those players. to put it into even more perspective, take a look at this article from yestarday, outlining just how bad those guys actually are:

http://netsarescorching.com/2012/08/31/ ... -starters/

Shelden Williams hit just eight shots outside of dunks and layups all season while DeShawn Stevenson made only two shots at the rim. Remember, these two now former Nets played 2,236 minutes and started a combined total of 65 games.

the nets started the following lineup 22 times last season

Williams, Morrow, Stehenson, Humphries, Petro

let me highlight that a bit:

Morrow, Stehenson, Humphries, Petro

are their not NBA BENCHES with more talent?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,758

Post#77 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:51 pm

We know how much the Nets have sucked since they traded Kidd. I simply believe Rondo to be the superior player. He just has IT. Some guys just play way better than their skill sets. Kidd did for years. Matrix does it. KG does it.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#78 » by Jase » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:22 pm

tsherkin wrote:Deron has made it apparent that he's one of the best passers in the league, so right off of the bat, I disagree with that first ranking, at least with the inclusion of Rondo over Deron (and more particularly, with either of them being quite on Nash's level).

Being "one of the best" passers doesn't make him a top passer. Even if he is the third best passer behind Nash and Rondo, that isn't a slight. And I really don't think he is a better passer than Rondo.
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#79 » by StojkoVrankovic » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:04 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Yes he's a better shooter, even with the way he shot last year. And that was one bad shooting season from him, every other year he's been a great shooter. But even last year:

Deron: 34% from 3 (6.2 3PA/game), 84% from the line (5.5 FTA/game), 39% from 16-23 feet (4.5 FGA/game)

Rondo: 24% from 3 (0.8 3PA/game), 60% from the line (3.4 FTA/game), 39% from 16-23 feet (2.9 FGA/game)
Thanks for letting me know Rondo sucks at 3 pointers and FTs. By the way, DWill shot 40% from the field last season.....40%.

therealbig3 wrote:Deron is better in the PnR because he's a comparable passer that shoots a lot better. He's a significantly greater offensive threat. I mean, have you seen how easy KG makes Rondo's job? And despite Rondo/KG being one of the best in the league, the Celtics had a worse offense than the Nets last year. Who had better offensive talent around them?
The Celtics shot better than New Jersey in FGs/3pointers/FTs, but the Nets had a better offense. Kind of an absurd stat huh?

therealbig3 wrote:Deron averaged 3.9 TO per 36 last year. Rondo averaged 3.6 TO per 36 last year. Deron's TOV% last year was 16.7%. Rondo's was 22.8%. I'd say on a team with much less offensive support and thus facing much more defensive pressure, Deron took care of the ball better.

You left out the assists for some reason.

therealbig3 wrote:Rondo might be a better technical passer than Deron, but not really by much, and the reason why people notice Rondo's assists more is because that's pretty much ALL he does on offense, while Deron also looks to score at times. And anyway, it's about the overall pressure you put on the defense, and Deron puts more pressure on the defense, because he's an extremely capable scorer that can "take over" if he needs to. Rondo is an excellent passer, but he also overpasses a lot, because he can't effectively score on a consistent basis.
Once again, did he just decide to take last year off? His team needed him to score more and he shot the worst percentage of his career. He decided to be lazy and turned into a 3 point chucker. Sure, it was the worst of his career but it still happened.

Rondo just averaged 17-11.9-6.7 with fantastic defense in the playoffs. I look forward to the day when he can "take over"

therealbig3 wrote:And the "I live in NY and so I watch a ton of games" is such a cop-out excuse...so what? You've watched every second of every game? And you don't conveniently "forget" Deron's great passes, even accidentally? And just because he's not as flashy with his passes and tends to make the basic, effective passes when they are available doesn't mean he's any less impressive as a passer (even though I admit that Rondo is a slightly better passer from a technical standpoint). I mean, this is like the J-Kidd vs Nash debate in terms of who's the better passer. Yeah, you could argue Kidd, because he was a frikin awesome passer with amazing court vision...but does it even matter? At the end of the day, Nash is a much more dangerous offensive player, and his passing has more impact than Kidd's.
I watched about 90% of the Nets games last year and went to about 7 games and turned down many more.

As a result I am not going to sit here and pretend he isn't awesome. Dwill is a great player period. He is a beast of a player and I have no issue with anyone choosing either player.
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#80 » by PetroNet » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:05 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:We know how much the Nets have sucked since they traded Kidd. I simply believe Rondo to be the superior player. He just has IT. Some guys just play way better than their skill sets. Kidd did for years. Matrix does it. KG does it.

"since they traded kidd" is enormous generalization. i mean, the team after kidd left had:

Harris, Vince Carter, Richard Jeferson, Ryan Anderson, Brook Lopez.

the team Dwill played with:

Williams, Morrow, Stephenson, Humphries, Sheldon williams

which goes back to my original point... dwill didnt just play with poor players, he played with epicly bad players. a few all-stars on that above post-kidd team. meanwhile, arguably not 1 legit starter with dwill.

Return to Player Comparisons