yardbarker

New Rules for the Player Comparison Board

Moderators: Doctor MJ, tsherkin, nate33, rrravenred, penbeast0

Post#1 New Rules for the Player Comparison Board
Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:58 pm by rrravenred

Hello all.

The following are all rules in our Terms of Service and things we will be cracking down from here on out.

Derailing Discussion - Users must not make posts that takes discussions off track. EX: there is a discussion of Ray Allen v. Paul Pierce and a user comes in with the comment that "Kobe is a far better shooter than either of them, unlike Jordan who couldn't hit a 3 pointer." Don't do this.

No Post Padding - Please construct posts and do not post pad as this derails discussion. 'Me too' or '+1' or 'Player X Easily' posts are considered post padding. If you have an opinion, take the time to support it. Things like U Mad, IBTL, NOT SURE IF SERIOUS, X easily, things not related to the thread, etc, etc. also count as Post Padding. Posts which do not have any substantive content but merely quote other posters are also considered post padding.

Personal Attacks - We have seen users attack others because they do not like their favorite player or conversely, like a player that user particularly hates, we will not tolerate this anymore.

Constructive Criticism - It is perfectly fine to have a different opinion but users need to state that opinion constructively without attacks.

Posting Articles - When posting an article, please provide a link and post no more than three quoted paragraphs of text. Posting articles from pay content like ESPN Insider is prohibited.

Users who cannot comply with these risk getting Board Banned from this forum.

As you may be aware, Howard Mass announced a new policy on the General NBA Forum that many have found is very strict. He has informed us that if users cannot follow these five simple rules, that we can request a similar policy. As your mods, we cherish the vigorous and lively debates that take place on this board, and would greatly regret having to curtail them

We ask that you comply with these guidelines and invite any questions that anyone may have.

The Player Comparisons Team is hopeful that these guidelines will make this forum a better place for everyone.
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
rrravenred
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 264
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#2 Re: New Rules for the Player Comparison Board
Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:59 am by Laimbeer

Completely agree, with the exception of 'post padding'. I don't see the harm of simply agreeing with another poster as opposed to just rehashing what was already said. And there's no real advantage to having a higher post count, so I don't think people do it just to increase their numbers.

My two cents.
"I think that a lot of the analytic stuff can be very useful, but if you’re using that in place of sitting down and watching film yourself and seeing what’s going on, you’re making a big mistake."

Stan Van Gundy
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 1,250

Post#3 Re: New Rules for the Player Comparison Board
Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:43 am by rrravenred

Fair enough. It's something we've talked about in the back channel, though, and it should prevent a thread being just a series of "Lakers in 4!" or a sequence of single-word posts making up the majority of a thread. We're trying to increase the quality of posts to the board, and these rules all address different aspects of that.
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
rrravenred
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 264
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Return to Player Comparisons