rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 546
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

New Rules for the Player Comparison Board 

Post#1 » by rrravenred » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:58 am

Hello all.

The following are all rules in our Terms of Service and things we will be cracking down from here on out.

Derailing Discussion - Users must not make posts that takes discussions off track. EX: there is a discussion of Ray Allen v. Paul Pierce and a user comes in with the comment that "Kobe is a far better shooter than either of them, unlike Jordan who couldn't hit a 3 pointer." Don't do this.

No Post Padding - Please construct posts and do not post pad as this derails discussion. 'Me too' or '+1' or 'Player X Easily' posts are considered post padding. If you have an opinion, take the time to support it. Things like U Mad, IBTL, NOT SURE IF SERIOUS, X easily, things not related to the thread, etc, etc. also count as Post Padding. Posts which do not have any substantive content but merely use emojis or quote other posters are also considered post padding.

Personal Attacks - We have seen users attack others because they do not like their favorite player or conversely, like a player that user particularly hates, we will not tolerate this anymore.

Constructive Criticism - It is perfectly fine to have a different opinion but users need to state that opinion constructively without attacks.

Posting Articles - When posting an article, please provide a link and post no more than three quoted paragraphs of text. Posting articles from pay content like ESPN Insider is prohibited.

Bumping old threads -- Bump threads at your own discretion to start or continue a discussion. You’ll be issued a warning if it’s done to attack another poster, bait, or troll. (added to PC Board Guidelines 8-16-22)

Users who cannot comply with these risk getting Board Banned from this forum.

As you may be aware, Howard Mass announced a new policy on the General NBA Forum that many have found is very strict. He has informed us that if users cannot follow these five simple rules, that we can request a similar policy. As your mods, we cherish the vigorous and lively debates that take place on this board, and would greatly regret having to curtail them

We ask that you comply with these guidelines and invite any questions that anyone may have.

The Player Comparisons Team is hopeful that these guidelines will make this forum a better place for everyone.
EDIT: for clarity, several of these guidelines have been elaborated upon below.
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Re: New Rules for the Player Comparison Board 

Post#2 » by Laimbeer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Completely agree, with the exception of 'post padding'. I don't see the harm of simply agreeing with another poster as opposed to just rehashing what was already said. And there's no real advantage to having a higher post count, so I don't think people do it just to increase their numbers.

My two cents.
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 546
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#3 » by rrravenred » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:43 pm

Fair enough. It's something we've talked about in the back channel, though, and it should prevent a thread being just a series of "Lakers in 4!" or a sequence of single-word posts making up the majority of a thread. We're trying to increase the quality of posts to the board, and these rules all address different aspects of that.
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,590

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Thu Sep 6, 2018 3:26 am

PaulieWal wrote:Hello Everyone,

The mod team just wanted to take the time to make a PSA regarding the recent influx in trolling, baiting, insulting, and backseat modding (this is a joint note from all of the mods on this board).

As a mod team we try to be more hands off and not be as warning/suspension trigger happy as we can be. However, we are noticing that this might be lulling some posters into thinking that they have free rein here to post in numerous inappropriate ways, and then subsequently attack the mods when they are issued warnings (formal or informal) or other reprimand.

We just wanted to reiterate a few things for the users here in case they were not clear on few of the guidelines to posting here:

1) Attacking others posters (including mods) will not fly and is never acceptable.

2) Backseat modding (and this has become an issue lately) will earn you a warning and a suspension. If you have a problem with the actions of a mod, PM the mod or another mod or the site admins. Also, for the most part you do not know who is getting warned, suspended, or otherwise communicated with behind the scenes; so don't assume you are being singled out.
PS. If you are a user with 5+ warnings on your profile---not uncommonly from 4-5+ different mods (perhaps even on multiple forums)---maybe you should sit back and consider the likelihood that it is your posting style that is the problem, and not the mods.

3) Replying to an insult with an insult will not be tolerated. Example, poster A: fanboys of player X are dumb :lol: :lol:, poster B: you are an idiot, you are a kid who never saw player Y in action :crazy: :lol: :lol:. Both of those posters will get a warning.

4) If you see someone baiting, trolling or insulting you, report the post and let us do our job. If you want further clarification on your report, feel free to PM a mod but do NOT start backseat modding as that will earn you a warning.

5) Just try to be civil. I know this is the internet, we all have the best opinions, and the other users are morons, your favorite player is hated, and the played you dislike is a God on this forum, just leave that behind. Before you get heated, just think twice before hitting the "submit" button. Would you really talk like that to a friend or stranger in real life?

6) Honestly, I find this one of the best places on the internet to discuss hoops and we try to 'moderate' as hands-off as we can. But we will be forced to become a little bit more aggressive in our modding if this continues.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
penbeast0

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Thu Sep 6, 2018 3:27 am

trex_8063 wrote:I'm just going to piggyback some thoughts on this, mostly pertaining to #1 and #5 above.

I often get the feeling that some posters don't seem to know what a personal attack is, particularly when it comes to what I'd call insinuated attacks or "proxy attacks". When a poster states his opinion and you reply by saying that his opinion is stupid, or asinine, or [insert derogatory adjective].....you are "by proxy" calling him stupid or asinine or [insert derogatory adjective].

Someone's comments or opinions may seem ridiculous to you, but there are ways to express this without resorting to insulting the other......

Example (super-common) of how severe disagreement is stated:
Poster A: [states opinion A, B, C, on topic on hand (usually with limited details or supporting evidence/arguments)]
Poster B replies: "That's the dumbest thing/list I've read on this forum in quite awhile, lol. :noway: "
Or another common one is just replying with a line of baiting emojis (e.g. :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

Examples of how this could be rephrased in a constructive manner:
Poster B replies: "Wow, I strenuously disagree for reasons X, Y, Z [detailed in response]."
or
Poster B replies: "Hmmm.....that seems like a pretty untenable position, at least based on any kind of objective indicators or evidence. I mean, consider evidence X, Y, Z. How can you reconcile that with your position?"
or even
Poster B replies: "Seriously? No offense, but I'm struggling to come up with a decent semi-objective argument to support your stance. When I look at X, Y, Z, it almost seems like a no-brainer to me. Am I missing something?"

Do you see the difference? The rephrased examples clearly state Poster B ardently disagrees (with supporting evidence as to why) WITHOUT resorting to insulting Poster A, and thus encourages some meaningful discussion. The first reply above is merely a jab and will likely only result in Poster A taking a jab back [if he replies at all]......and too often we then see the thread devolve into a flame war.

That might seem like it's policing tone (and we've had some backseat mods telling us we shouldn't be trying to control the tone of discussion); but I would say tone is absolutely among the things we should be moderating. If posters have an even marginally contentious or polarizing opinion, they'll be much less likely to state it openly if what they're seeing is that posters insult, degrade and otherwise rip into each other while the mods do nothing to discourage it. They may feel they don't need the frustration of being openly insulted; so rather than risk that, they just keep quiet.

Unchecked derogatory and inflammatory tone is precisely the kind of thing that will subtly undermine meaningful discourse. So check your tone (as stated in OP: be civil); if you can't, don't be shocked if your tone eventually earns you warnings and/or suspensions.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
HoopsPurist
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#6 » by HoopsPurist » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:09 am

Laimbeer wrote:Completely agree, with the exception of 'post padding'. I don't see the harm of simply agreeing with another poster as opposed to just rehashing what was already said. And there's no real advantage to having a higher post count, so I don't think people do it just to increase their numbers.

My two cents.

Agreed. If you feel more important because of a higher post count, you need to re-evaluate your life choices.

I'm just here for some fun debate with other knowledgeable hoops fans. Who cares about a post count.
Logic Baller
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#7 » by Logic Baller » Wed May 8, 2019 5:37 pm

Perhaps mods could send Colbinii a reminder of the rules. Childish bullying and sarcasm, personal attacks beyond the pale, zero respect for reasonable disagreements.

Just a suggestion.
Last edited by Clyde Frazier on Wed May 8, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: warned
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#8 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed May 8, 2019 6:28 pm

Logic Baller wrote:Perhaps mods could send Colbinii a reminder of the rules. Childish bullying and sarcasm, personal attacks beyond the pale, zero respect for reasonable disagreements.

Just a suggestion.

Backseat modding *in* the rules thread? That's some nice irony. Use the report button. This isn't complicated.
Logic Baller
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#9 » by Logic Baller » Wed May 8, 2019 7:19 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Logic Baller wrote:Perhaps mods could send Colbinii a reminder of the rules. Childish bullying and sarcasm, personal attacks beyond the pale, zero respect for reasonable disagreements.

Just a suggestion.

Backseat modding *in* the rules thread? That's some nice irony. Use the report button. This isn't complicated.

Apologies, I'm new here, just getting acquainted with things. Thought the rules thread was also an avenue to express concerns related to the rules thread, won't happen again.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,846

Post#10 » by Dutchball97 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:26 pm

penbeast0 wrote:...

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to respond but my PMs are stuck in my outbox (possibly to do with the board warning?). You issued an unofficial warning around 2 PM CET and then followed it up with an official warning linking to a post I made roughly 4 hours before that unofficial warning.

I was wondering if the official warning was meant for my later post stating my intent to disengage with LAL1947 in which I remained cordial as far as I can tell or if there has been a mix up.
penbeast0

Post#11 » by penbeast0 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:52 pm

Notifications about them came to me in the opposite order, I am seeing if I can revoke the warning and make it unoffical.

Return to Player Comparisons