Better Career: Ray Allen vs Paul Pierce

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Who will end up having a better NBA career?

Ray Allen
26%
Paul Pierce
74%

Total votes: 19

Ginobili
Junior
And1: 19

Re: Better Career: Ray Allen vs Paul Pierce 

Post#21 » by Ginobili » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:09 pm

MattKempMVP wrote:Ray is the greatest 3 point shooter ever, while Pierce's career is not really that special except that he's always a Celtic. I think so far Ray Allen has the better career. Moreover, Ray has a very good chance of surpassing Pierce's 1 ring. That would enlarge the gap between them.

New account huh.

:lol:
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#22 » by ardee » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:41 pm

bertrob wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:Yes, there is, and many have argued it. The only guys who don't put Pierce in the top 5 are old guys in the Boston media who look back at the 60's - 80's with the greenest shade of sunglasses I've ever seen. Pierce is without a doubt a top 5 Celtic when his career is over. Even Tommy would laugh a thousand times over if you ever said he was better than Pierce.

Only guys above Pierce are: Russell, Bird, Cousy, and Hondo.

Yeah I meant Hondo when I wrote Heinsohn. My mistake.
Anyways the only reason people argue it is because hes currently the Celtics Captain, and indeed a Celtics all-time great. Its impossible to differentiate between eras, you have to look at what they did in that era.

What argument does Pierce have over Cowens? Cowens won more rings for the franchise while being a better individual player.

Sam Jones? Much more rings, and was an all-star himself. He was pretty crucial to those 60s rings

Theres nothing wrong with Pierce being in the tier with Heinsohn, Sharman, White. Its laughable that people think that its somehow "demeaning" or "disrespectful" as awesome as Paul is hes has very few individual accolades (4 all-nba teams), one ring, an undeserved Finals MVP. Theres a lot of off-court stuff as well but its mostly fluff. The fact is that there are a lot of guys who have given a lot to this franchise, and Paul is one of them, but hes not one of the greatest. We're the greatest franchise in basketball. We have a lot of amazing history.

Sam Jones was perhaps never a top 2 player on his team. First he was behind Russell and Cousy, and then Russell and Hondo.

Pierce has at least led awful teams to the Playoffs with Antoine freaking Walker as his supporting cast. Jones was basically a shooter, a very good one, but Pierce is versatile as hell and a much better defender. Pierce can just do more things on abasketball court. I will admit that Jones is probably one of the best game 7 performers ever.

And no my friend, you'll are not, that's the Los Angeles Lakers 8-)
EGarrett
Sixth Man
And1: 250

Post#23 » by EGarrett » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:38 pm

MattKempMVP wrote:Ray is the greatest 3 point shooter ever, while Pierce's career is not really that special except that he's always a Celtic. I think so far Ray Allen has the better career. Moreover, Ray has a very good chance of surpassing Pierce's 1 ring. That would enlarge the gap between them.

Pierce by far because he means something special to a franchise and he will go down as a Celtic legend. Ray-Ray's little run-out at the end is only going to harm his legacy in the most important place.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#24 » by therealbig3 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:06 pm

How is Pierce not a top 5 Celtic ever?

The only ones clearly better are Russell and Bird.

I'd probably take Pierce 3rd. LOL at not close to top 5.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#25 » by ardee » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:10 pm

therealbig3 wrote:How is Pierce not a top 5 Celtic ever?

Along with Hondo and McHale, yeah.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#26 » by JordansBulls » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:17 pm

therealbig3 wrote:How is Pierce not a top 5 Celtic ever?

What about Havlicek, Kevin Mchale and even Dave Cowens?
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
ahonui06
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#27 » by ahonui06 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:28 pm

Pierce for sure.

He's been the face of the Celtics franchise since he was drafted by them over a decade ago, has accomplished more in the playoffs than Ray Allen and is also a much better #1 option. Pierce also has the Finals MVP and has always been loyal to his organization.
hokageinfamus
Senior
And1: 29

Post#28 » by hokageinfamus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Career wise: Pierce Peak: Ray but not by much, Pierce's peak years were wasted on bad teams

Return to Player Comparisons