The CP3 Thread

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Re: The CP3 Thread 

Post#1581 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:53 pm

He did everything for this team with Griffin missing most of the year due to his immaturity and shenanigans.

Unbelievable.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#1582 » by QRich3 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:09 pm

mischievous wrote:
Quotatious wrote:
mischievous wrote:I do feel bad for him, but i'm not that surprised because he seems to never be healthy come playoffs, and it's always swept under the rug when it comes to his evaluation on an all time list.

Well, if he's never healthy in the playoffs, and still able to put up roughly the same or slightly superior numbers in the postseason than he does in the RS, then it should work in his favor, I guess...

Well i guess, but its not taking into account games missed, this year and last year's playoffs. Last year it wasn't that big a deal because they still went up 3-1. This year his injury is the reason he may not advance. 09 is another example although he was banged up but still played. He was banged up in 2012 as well. I just don't think his inability to hold up for more than 2 rounds gets discussed enough.

That's because you just made up such inability. Unless you're about to make a compelling argument about how his meniscus torn after trippin over a baseline photographer, getting his finger jammed in Henderson's tee, and having a quad injury at the wrong time are all related to some kind of medical condition, that's just three instances of bad luck for a guy who's had the worst of luck during his career.

Not everything you watch three times is a pattern unless you can coherently connect the three events. Most of the injury-prone talk (about any player) is just random knee jerk reactions. It certainly is in this case.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,504

Post#1583 » by GSP » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:12 pm

U guys think the Clips are gonna give Blake alot more plays this series so he can look good and have trade value for the trade block? Or do u think Doc wants him longterm?
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,723

Post#1584 » by Woodsanity » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:13 pm

This really blows. Getting less and less interested in these playoffs.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#1585 » by mischievous » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:34 pm

QRich3 wrote:
mischievous wrote:
Quotatious wrote:Well, if he's never healthy in the playoffs, and still able to put up roughly the same or slightly superior numbers in the postseason than he does in the RS, then it should work in his favor, I guess...

Well i guess, but its not taking into account games missed, this year and last year's playoffs. Last year it wasn't that big a deal because they still went up 3-1. This year his injury is the reason he may not advance. 09 is another example although he was banged up but still played. He was banged up in 2012 as well. I just don't think his inability to hold up for more than 2 rounds gets discussed enough.

That's because you just made up such inability. Unless you're about to make a compelling argument about how his meniscus torn after trippin over a baseline photographer, getting his finger jammed in Henderson's tee, and having a quad injury at the wrong time are all related to some kind of medical condition, that's just three instances of bad luck for a guy who's had the worst of luck during his career.

Not everything you watch three times is a pattern unless you can coherently connect the three events. Most of the injury-prone talk (about any player) is just random knee jerk reactions. It certainly is in this case.

He's had hamstring injuries on more than one ocassion in the playoffs. But i'll leave it with that i'm not trying to derail or anything.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#1586 » by therealbig3 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:00 pm

GSP wrote:U guys think the Clips are gonna give Blake alot more plays this series so he can look good and have trade value for the trade block? Or do u think Doc wants him longterm?

Isn't Blake out for the series too?

I also think they should keep him long term. He's not a problem. He's an exceptionally talented player who gets overlooked a lot imo.

I think they should look to improve their bench, which has been a consistent weakness every year. Unfortunately, it seems like it doesn't matter who they bring in, every talented player that goes to their bench plays like garbage (Lance, Smith, Pierce, etc). And Doc's nepotism for his son doesn't help things.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#1587 » by MisterHibachi » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:07 pm

How likely is a CP or Griffin trade now?
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#1588 » by RSCD3_ » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:34 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:How likely is a CP or Griffin trade now?

If this was a leg injury for Paul it would be much more likely IMO
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#1589 » by TKainZero » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:00 pm

Tragic for the clippers.
I don't know what their next move is..

Massive blowup or stay the course?
How safe is doc?
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#1590 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:34 pm

TKainZero wrote:Tragic for the clippers.
I don't know what their next move is..

Massive blowup or stay the course?
How safe is doc?

I don't know but he shouldn't be safe at all.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#1591 » by JordansBulls » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:40 pm

"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
EppiDk16
Freshman
And1: 26

Post#1592 » by EppiDk16 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:38 pm

Freakin terrible that CP3 has to potentially end his season like this after all he's done throughout the season. Clippers are a terrible franchise to play for.
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,428

Post#1593 » by Lost92Bricks » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:45 pm

I think CP might have been the most valuable player to their team this year out of anybody. Anybody else agree?

He wasn't the best, but after factoring in the way his team was constructed and the on-court and off-court issues they went through all season...he might have been more important than anybody else.

The Clippers had no reliable playmakers or ballhandlers besides him. They were terrible without him on the floor and they had nobody else that could create any quality offense.

CP WAS their offense, he was involved in damn near every out there (more than 60% of their buckets involved CP through passing or scoring) and when he wasn't involved, they struggled.

Look at the Clippers' offense with him and without him on the floor...

The dropoff was even worse last year. I'm pretty sure CP3 was the biggest difference maker offensively this year and last year on/off wise. Plus he's one of the best defenders on his team.

It is a shame he'll probably end up without an MVP award. He deserves one more than anybody.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#1594 » by RSCD3_ » Tue May 10, 2016 8:09 pm

So I just found out it took until Paul's unfortunate last game to pass Don Nelson ( as a player ) in WS.

I know one played a lot more games and the celtics were insane but it's still an odd fact.

He's #69. Right now
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Lost92Bricks
Starter

Post#1595 » by Lost92Bricks » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:58 am

I don't know if I should start a thread on this or not but whatever.

The criticism of CP is his lack of success in the playoffs.

I think it's mostly bullsh****.

But I wanna know which year(s) do you hold against him.

By hold against him I mean when do you think his team should have done better and him not being good enough was a reason for that not happening.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#1596 » by eminence » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:34 am

'08- Phenomenal in the playoffs
'09- pretty bad, but wasn't getting past the Nuggets anyway
'11- Very good in the playoffs
'12- Played well against Memphis, struggled some against SAS, but they weren't winning that series no matter his play
'13- Played well
'14- Kinda meh against GSW, but got the win, actually played better against OKC
'15- Great against SAS, missed games and the Rockets bench hurt him vs. Houston, but played well when available
'16- Played great until he went out

So negative series (imo): Breaking hand in '16, Rockets '15, SAS '12, and DEN '09

The only one that really jumps out to me as an actual blemish is '15 vs the Rockets (and even then it's not that big a blemish, especially coming off the win over the Spurs). In both '09 and '12 he was just so clearly overmatched as to not matter. And breaking his hand is obviously a negative, but not really something he can improve on, ya know?
I bought a boat.
Lost92Bricks
Starter

Post#1597 » by Lost92Bricks » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:55 pm

eminence wrote:'08- Phenomenal in the playoffs
'12- Played well against Memphis, struggled some against SAS, but they weren't winning that series no matter his play
'13- Played well
'15- Great against SAS, missed games and the Rockets bench hurt him vs. Houston, but played well when available

So negative series (imo): Breaking hand in '16, Rockets '15, SAS '12, and DEN '09

The only one that really jumps out to me as an actual blemish is '15 vs the Rockets (and even then it's not that big a blemish, especially coming off the win over the Spurs). In both '09 and '12 he was just so clearly overmatched as to not matter. And breaking his hand is obviously a negative, but not really something he can improve on, ya know?

What was it specifically about the Rockets series?

Do you think he underperformed? Was it the way game 6 played out? Was it him missing the 2 games?

I think he played well enough to win that series. He averaged 26/5/10 on 63 TS% in the last 3 losses. You could argue he should've done more when the Rockets made that comeback in game 6 though but he still played well.

That loss has more to do with the flawed way the team was built than Paul. They had the worst bench in the league that year. Crawford was beyond terrible, Rivers sucked and to make things worse, Redick and Barnes both disappeared in the last 3 games. It was basically Paul, Griffin, and Jordan against the Rockets.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#1598 » by PCProductions » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:09 pm

The one moment that sticks out was that Game 5 against OKC in 2014. Other than that, it's pretty overblown.
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 597

Post#1599 » by Fundamentals21 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:16 pm

I am a little concerned Chris Paul's prime is winding down. If it started in 08, went up till '16, you have 8 seasons of superstar play... actually, he's had an all time great career already, without the media noticing that at all. No one realizes how great he's been for this long.

Has Paul not had as many superstar years as his peers? Kobe, Dirk, etc. ? I think I need a side by side comparison. Might make one myself if I can find the time.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#1600 » by eminence » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:35 pm

Lost92Bricks wrote:
eminence wrote:'08- Phenomenal in the playoffs
'13- Played well

What was it specifically about the Rockets series?

Do you think he underperformed? Was it the way game 6 played out? Was it him missing the 2 games?

I think he played well enough to win that series. He averaged 26/5/10 on 63 TS% in the last 3 losses. You could argue he should've done more when the Rockets made that comeback in game 6 though but he still played well.

That loss has more to do with the flawed way the team was built than Paul. They had the worst bench in the league that year. Crawford was beyond terrible, Rivers sucked and to make things worse, Redick and Barnes both disappeared in the last 3 games. It was basically Paul, Griffin, and Jordan against the Rockets.

Combo of missing the 2 games and what happened in game 6.

So it stands out to me as overall being his worst series in terms of expectations vs what happened. The Clips should've probably had that series(the only series he's ever lost that I feel that way about), and with Paul missing a couple of games and not playing his best (though still very well) it is his most disappointing series for me. Which isn't saying much, as it was not a major let down at all, every star I can think from the era I've really followed basketball has had series far more disappointing (eg. Kobe '04 Pistons or Dirk '07 Warriors).
I bought a boat.

Return to Player Comparisons