The Anthony Davis Thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Blomberg
Junior
And1: 265

Re: The Anthony Davis Thread 

Post#561 » by Blomberg » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:51 am

I checked Davis` stats just now and wow.. I knew he was good, but I feel like I`ve been living in a cave. He has been absolutely ridiculous.

I have a question for those who watch him play regularly: How is he able to average just 1,4 turnovers per game with that kind of usage? I know it has only been 19 games, so is this sustainable?

He had really low TO ratio in his first 2 years, but this year his turnover% is 6,3! (10,3% and 8,3% in his first who years)
thizznation
Starter
And1: 778

Post#562 » by thizznation » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:07 am

Blomberg wrote:I checked Davis` stats just now and wow.. I knew he was good, but I feel like I`ve been living in a cave. He has been absolutely ridiculous.

I have a question for those who watch him play regularly: How is he able to average just 1,4 turnovers per game with that kind of usage? I know it has only been 19 games, so is this sustainable?

He had really low TO ratio in his first 2 years, but this year his turnover% is 6,3! (10,3% and 8,3% in his first who years)

he is a skilled and smart player that is hard to defend
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#563 » by KF10 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:54 am

Blomberg wrote:I checked Davis` stats just now and wow.. I knew he was good, but I feel like I`ve been living in a cave. He has been absolutely ridiculous.

It's hard to produce TOs if the % of Davis' 2-Pt FGs that are assisted is at 72.3%.

Only 27.7% of his 2-Pt FGs are not assisted.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,759

Post#564 » by GSP » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:05 am

He doesnt get alot of tos b/c he barely plays onball or facilitates on offense. His whole offensive game is basically offball
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#565 » by NinjaSheppard » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:39 pm

That isn't really how it works.

Look at DJ and Chandler for example. They create far less offense for themselves than Davis (while doing a lot of the same stuff in terms of pick and rolls and offensive rebounding) and they have turnover rates three times as high as he does.

Davis doesn't turn it over because he is extremely skilled and smart and it is one of his talents.
Blomberg
Junior
And1: 265

Post#566 » by Blomberg » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Ok thanks for the replies. The thing is he is top 3 in the league in PPG with 1,4 TOs/ game. Has this ever happened before?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,081
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#567 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:58 pm

NinjaSheppard wrote:That isn't really how it works.

Look at DJ and Chandler for example. They create far less offense for themselves than Davis (while doing a lot of the same stuff in terms of pick and rolls and offensive rebounding) and they have turnover rates three times as high as he does.

Davis doesn't turn it over because he is extremely skilled and smart and it is one of his talents.

Yea. Davis is being penalized for being able to attack more efficiently and more quickly than other big men right now. His turnover rate is special, no matter what context you try to squeeze it in.

Side note, I don't have the numbers off hand, but I bet a big part of it is his ability to avoid fouls. A lot of big men get a turnover or two just from offensive fouls.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#568 » by boogie-reke » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:20 pm

He's an offensive juggernaut. I mean goddamn, his efficiency and volume is off the charts.

Defensively he's been slightly above average since his rookie season though, which is something I expect to pick up - but I still haven't seen it happen yet and I've watched him quite a lot. He shows flashes of brilliance, but he still just can't get it done consistently enough to come close to meeting the DPOY label set for him by many including myself - it's hard to be disappointed with such a once in a generation type player, but that's the part that does it to me atleast so far in his young career.

Once he gets that in order, and he will - wow.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#569 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Doormatt wrote:
NinjaSheppard wrote:ESPN posted their RPM numbers.

Davis went from being non-impactful to having a top 5 number this year and his defensive number is top 10 so far also. Way too early but even the "his impact is overrated by the box score" argument is starting to die.

really sad that ESPN decided to call it RPM, now people are just gonna confuse it with RAPM and think those two are similar, when really they couldnt be more different.

and yeah his impact is definitely overrated by the box score, if only because hes posting GOAT box score numbers and i dont think his impact is at that level yet.

Well speaking broadly I don't disagree with you. I'll also add that the sample size is small so people should be cautious.

However as much I object to the adding of box score to RAPM do keep in mind just how it's added.

What we're talking about is setting the starting weights and that's it. That's something that could have significant impact on one guys number, or it might not.

In Davis' case, go look at his defensive box score for this year and last. Note that there actually isn't a huge shift yet if you compare defensive Real Plus Minus there has been a big shift. Right there that's telling us that you can't simply dismiss Davis current bumpers as being a given based on box score based inflation

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#570 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:26 pm

His defense will pick up but i hope he doesn't become a better verison of Kevin Love and not make the playoffs for 8 seasons.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,081
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#571 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:15 pm

boogie-reke wrote:He's an offensive juggernaut. I mean goddamn, his efficiency and volume is off the charts.

Defensively he's been slightly above average since his rookie season though, which is something I expect to pick up - but I still haven't seen it happen yet and I've watched him quite a lot. He shows flashes of brilliance, but he still just can't get it done consistently enough to come close to meeting the DPOY label set for him by many including myself - it's hard to be disappointed with such a once in a generation type player, but that's the part that does it to me atleast so far in his young career.

Once he gets that in order, and he will - wow.

I hear what you're saying, his defensive potential is literally unreal, like he could be the best defender we've seen in a long time, and he's not there yet... but really, he's a lot better than he was as a rookie, and how many 21 year old big men were better defenders? He's on track for sure, he just needs time.

I think he's so far ahead of the curve offensively that people are thinking his defense is lagging behind, but in comparison, he's about where he should be.... having a big impact, being a real disruptive force, showing flashes, and making a lot of mistakes due to experience and aggression.

Also, I think those steals/blocks are a big part of our offense generating good looks in transition. The only reason our offense is top 10 is because of our ability to run our offense to Davis and not turn the ball over. We don't stand out in any other category, but we have a consistent 25 point per game scorer who doesn't eat up the clock, and he never gives the ball away.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#572 » by ronnymac2 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:31 am

Davis was dominant against Dwight Howard in Houston tonight. He roasted Howard with his jump shot and was even able to roll to the rim and either evade Howard or take the hit and still finish.

30/14/3/2/5 with just 1 turnover, 10/17 shooting, 10/12 on FTAs. Displayed some of his yet-unlocked passing ability, too. Great game.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
Bled
Sixth Man
And1: 261

Post#573 » by Bled » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:54 am

Probably worst game of the season he had tonight. Big blowout caused him to be done early and aside from the 5 blocks, a very lame game for Davis.

Sent from my SM-N900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#574 » by NinjaSheppard » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:11 am

I kinda got my hopes up for the team.

We were about to get the Blazers after a 3OT game and OKC without Durant. Felt like we could be 15-12 with some impressive wins in a row and certain guys stepping up.

This was awful. Worst performance of the season by far.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#575 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:42 am

AD pretty much got handled tonight, by Alridge and Rip City.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#576 » by Joao Saraiva » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:44 pm

A bad game was about to happen, nobody has 82 great games in a season. He couldn't score, didn't rebound much, the game got away from the Pelicans too soon and they couldn't bounce back as a team.

It's OK he's still playing great basketball and he'll bounce back to his incredible performances. Dude is a machine.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#577 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:26 am

38/12 on 16-22 shooting

I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

The Anthony Davis Thread 

Post#578 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:27 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:A bad game was about to happen, nobody has 82 great games in a season. He couldn't score, didn't rebound much, the game got away from the Pelicans too soon and they couldn't bounce back as a team.

It's OK he's still playing great basketball and he'll bounce back to his incredible performances. Dude is a machine.

You called it, although it was a pretty safe bet to be frank :)

I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
fuzzy_dunlop
Junior
And1: 109

Post#579 » by fuzzy_dunlop » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:37 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Well speaking broadly I don't disagree with you. I'll also add that the sample size is small so people should be cautious.

However as much I object to the adding of box score to RAPM do keep in mind just how it's added.

What we're talking about is setting the starting weights and that's it. That's something that could have significant impact on one guys number, or it might not.

In Davis' case, go look at his defensive box score for this year and last. Note that there actually isn't a huge shift yet if you compare defensive Real Plus Minus there has been a big shift. Right there that's telling us that you can't simply dismiss Davis current bumpers as being a given based on box score based inflation

RPM this year is NPI, so at this stage it's either so noisy as to be meaningless or so box score dominated it should be considered a SPM.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,753

Post#580 » by G35 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Doormatt wrote:
NinjaSheppard wrote:ESPN posted their RPM numbers.

Davis went from being non-impactful to having a top 5 number this year and his defensive number is top 10 so far also. Way too early but even the "his impact is overrated by the box score" argument is starting to die.

really sad that ESPN decided to call it RPM, now people are just gonna confuse it with RAPM and think those two are similar, when really they couldnt be more different.

and yeah his impact is definitely overrated by the box score, if only because hes posting GOAT box score numbers and i dont think his impact is at that level yet.

You pose an interesting question Doormatt. It seems to go back to how we want to interpret a number/metric. Why can't we say he's having GOAT level impact if we only interpret his own individual numbers vs other GOAT level numbers?.....
I'm so tired of the typical......

Return to Player Comparisons