US All-Stars vs World All-Stars

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

US All-Stars vs World All-Stars 

Post#1 » by Quotatious » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:38 pm

If these teams played against each other 100 times, how many times do you think the international team would've won?

World All-Stars

2009 Yao/1998 Sabonis
2011 Dirk/2009 Pau
2004 Kirilenko/2003 Peja
2005 Manu/1992 Drazen
2007 Nash/2013 Parker

vs

US All-Stars

2000 Shaq/1994 Hakeem
2003 Duncan/2004 Garnett
2012 LeBron/2013 Durant
1991 Jordan/2009 Kobe
1990 Magic/2008 CP3

Roughly equal playing time for all 10 players on both teams.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Re: US All-Stars vs World All-Stars 

Post#2 » by Woodsanity » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:55 pm

10 times if the US All Stars get bored or slack off.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,815

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:06 pm

Woodsanity wrote:10 times if the US All Stars get bored or slack off.

I agree with this. Just too much depth for the US team and they also have the best 5-6 peaks.

I think the US has to have less tier one/two GOAT's. They have 9 top 20 players of all-time (Counting Durant) compared to just one for the Worlds (Dirk).
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#4 » by Jaivl » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:09 pm

They maybe win 20 or so. Our NT was really close to beat the best US teams since the Dream Team, and it's quite worse. The fit is very important.

(And aren't Timmy and Hakeem -technically- international players?)
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Hawk
Starter
And1: 818

Post#5 » by Hawk » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:11 pm

Well, USAS is the more talented team obviously, but the fit in the WAS is great, and the team mentality too.

If basketball was only about talent, USAS would win around 95 games. Or 100. Luckily, there is something more, like how the players game styles would mesh with each other. Putting a dominant PG around Jordan,Kobe or Lebron is not the best idea, not the best fit for sure. That could cause some trouble.

Also, do we take into account the time span between all those games? Because I don't see Shaq, Kobe and Jordan coexisting really well.....

WAS is an incredibly talented squad, with a great fit and really team-oriented mentality. Taking all of the above into account, I could see a 50-50
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Quotatious » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:43 pm

Jaivl wrote:They maybe win 20 or so. Our NT was really close to beat the best US teams since the Dream Team, and it's quite worse. The fit is very important.

Yep.
Jaivl wrote:(And aren't Timmy and Hakeem -technically- international players?)

No. Duncan is a St. Croix native, on the Virgin Islands of the United States. He played on the cough...2004 "Nightmate Team"...cough, too. :lol:
Hakeem was officially a US citizen since April 2, 1993, so 1994 Hakeem was already an American.
Dr Olajuwon wrote:Well, USAS is the more talented team obviously, but the fit in the WAS is great, and the team mentality too.

If basketball was only about talent, USAS would win around 95 games. Or 100. Luckily, there is something more, like how the players game styles would mesh with each other. Putting a dominant PG around Jordan,Kobe or Lebron is not the best idea, not the best fit for sure. That could cause some trouble.

Also, do we take into account the time span between all those games? Because I don't see Shaq, Kobe and Jordan coexisting really well.....

WAS is an incredibly talented squad, with a great fit and really team-oriented mentality. Taking all of the above into account, I could see a 50-50

Pretty much agree with everything you said, but I don't think it'd be 50/50, because as talented as the international team is, Team USA still has a clear edge in terms of talent, having ten top tier superstars, all of them were the best, or at worst top 3, in the listed seasosn. 65/35 or maybe even 60/40 in USA's favor is what I think could happen. Well, 60/40 is too generous, but I could see 65/35. Team International's defense is just nowhere near Team USA, for them to win more. Unbelievable offensive potential though, with Dirk, Nash, Manu and Yao.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:12 pm

More than you think.

Dirk playing with essentially no NBA teammates has played the US Olympic teams very closely at times with the German squad. Manu has had more help, but has done the same thing with Argentina. Now this team is obviously better than the real world national teams, but so is the international team.

I think there would be some significant issues over 100 games between Shaq,Magic, Mike, Dream, Kobe fighting to be alpha, Lebron,KG, and Paul getting frustrated with all the drama. And Duncan and Durant are too good to let the alpha personalities shove them aside.

International team would be far far more cohesive with very clearly defined roles and far less drama. Nash has the ball all the time. Dirk is the go-to guy and everyone fills in around them.

I'd say at least 25 and 40 wouldnt shock me with the international team winning the majority of the 2nd set of 50.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Hawk
Starter
And1: 818

Post#8 » by Hawk » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Quotatious wrote:
Jaivl wrote:They maybe win 20 or so. Our NT was really close to beat the best US teams since the Dream Team, and it's quite worse. The fit is very important.

Yep.
Jaivl wrote:(And aren't Timmy and Hakeem -technically- international players?)

No. Duncan is a St. Croix native, on the Virgin Islands of the United States. He played on the cough...2004 "Nightmate Team"...cough, too. :lol:
Hakeem was officially a US citizen since April 2, 1993, so 1994 Hakeem was already an American.
Dr Olajuwon wrote:Well, USAS is the more talented team obviously, but the fit in the WAS is great, and the team mentality too.

Pretty much agree with everything you said, but I don't think it'd be 50/50, because as talented as the international team is, Team USA still has a clear edge in terms of talent, having ten top tier superstars, all of them were the best, or at worst top 3, in the listed seasosn. 65/35 or maybe even 60/40 in USA's favor is what I think could happen. Well, 60/40 is too generous, but I could see 65/35. Team International's defense is just nowhere near Team USA, for them to win more. Unbelievable offensive potential though, with Dirk, Nash, Manu and Yao.

Well, I don't know if it is too much to say it would be a 50-50, but I'm sure as hell it would be a lot closer than the people think. Sure the USAS team names are intimidating as hell. The Spanish national team was pretty close to beat the USAB in 2008 and 2012, and I see this matchup as a improved version (a lot improved version) of those 2 finals.

100 games are a lot of games, and I'm sorry to insist :lol: bad things could happen in the USAS locker-room. Things I don't see happening in the WAS team.

Who knows, maybe the USAS team would surprise me and everyone would take the role they were needed to play in and simply stomp over the WAS team.
CaliBullsFan
Banned User
And1: 244

Post#9 » by CaliBullsFan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Paul, Jordan,Lebron Magic and Kobe would be a complete clusterfock.

Hakeem belongs on Team World, Team World wins.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Quotatious » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:35 pm

Another thing to think about is whether the players know how good others were in reality, for their careers, or they just get teleported from their respective seasons without knowing it, and thrown into a gym for practice. Believe it or not, but reputation and status means quite a lot for those players. They would likely have personality clashes even if they knew how good each other was, let alone if they just get put together on the same team, basically each of them thinking they were the best in the league. :o

Obviously 2013 Durant would know good all of the others were, but 1990 Magic would have no clue about anyone else...
laaboy808
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#11 » by laaboy808 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Kirilenko, Peja, Drazen and Sabonis have no place on this roster. The USA would destroy the international roster if these were the two teams.

It would be DIRK and Parker trying to carry International to upsets almost every game.

Return to Player Comparisons