Wade's ceiling all time?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

ushvinder88
Junior
And1: 72

Re: Wade's ceiling all time? 

Post#21 » by ushvinder88 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:07 pm

tsherkin wrote:
ushvinder88 wrote:No I dont dislike older players.

And yet, the dismissive way in which you treat their accomplishments very clearly indicates otherwise.

Dr. J(you'll overrate 76 aba of course)

And now we come to the part where you're obviously unfamiliar with my posting history or stances on such things, heh. I don't particularly care for the ABA, but to discard it would be foolish when you consider that the per-minute production of the star-level players who crossed over didn't actually take a dive to any degree. Erving and Gervin were both obviously just as effective in the NBA as they were in the ABA, so dismissing the ABA has limited value. Do I count his MVPs the same way? No, not really, because he wasn't competing with anyone who played at an MVP level, but still. That said, he has an NBA MVP and more Finals appearances as the primary player than Wade, plus he does have a ring from 83. Even if you give only partial credit to his ABA accomplishments, he still ends up looking like a compelling choice above Wade... even before you factor in impact on the game, should you choose to consider that angle.

In which category is wade last? Does he have the lowest peak? He is the worst playoff performer? He is the worst scorer of the bunch? He isthe worst defender? You tell me which of these 4 crucial categories for nba players is dwayne wade dead last?

But looking at it that way isn't effective, yes? Obviously, the exact position where you rank Wade is dependent upon how you choose to evaluate, but Wade's basic claims don't really elevate him above those players and he's missing some pieces that those other guys have.

Meantime, he doesn't have to be dead last in any category not to rank ahead of them. Compared to any individual, he'd have to be ahead of them in more categories than in which he is behind.

Meantime, Robinson isn't even a salient point because he's not in the top 15 on the list from which I was working.

Wade is pretty clearly not a top 10 guy... but we need establish only five other players who rank above him for this argument to be dead, and there are players on that list outside of the top 15 who are better than Wade. Lebron, for instance, so as soon as you remove one player from that list, another takes his place. Then you've got a number of comparable players.

Wade's problem is that in many cases, his prime is shorter and filled with less individual accolades than the guys against whom he will be compared. There isn't a compelling reason to select him over Dirk, for example, and Robinson's entire pre-injury career looks a lot like 07-10 for Wade. He doesn't have the ring as The Man, but never played with anyone as good as 06 Shaq and he does have the scoring title, the MVP, rebounding and block titles, the quadruple-double, the 70-point game, etc. He's got achievements and accolades to stand up to Wade... and then a pair of titles besides (and he was no small part of the 99 ring).

And on and on. There are few ways to legitimately argue that Wade belongs in the top 15. There are guys in his own era who were obviously greater, and some whom are debatably greater.

Kevin Durant seems a very likely candidate to depose Wade even further, and there are others up and coming who may yet do so as well. He isn't there now and there's nothing to suggest he will rise in estimation as time goes by. The opposite might happen, in fact, though there's no guarantee there either.

So let me get this right, you want to bring up context when I mentioned Barkley has no rings, then you want to brag about dr.j going to the finals more times as the man than wade, yeah context doesnt apply here at all right? I mean the sixers from 77-83 were only slightly better than the 07-10 heat. Not to mention that erving's ring in 83 was as a complete sidekick and his numbers were rather mediocre, but yeah its on equal fotting as wade's 06 and 2012 runs. Not to mention the nba was a very diluted league from 77-82ish, but according to you every era is on equal footing.

Why dont you go ahead and do what I asked you to and actually rank all 8 of those guys based on the categories that I just mentioned. Yeah because you only want to nitpick wade and not expose the flaws of the other 8. Wade has no argument for top 10, but he can clearly be argued as the 15th-17th all time best player, and if he played on better teams from 07-10, he would have had more playoff success, which would have boosted him.

Where were you when realgm did thier all time peaks project? They had wade well above barkley and moses and now you want to act like he didn't outpeak them? Please. Dwayne Wade's 06 and 09 runs are among the best ever for wing players.

What pieces is he missing? That he didnt win mvps when he peaked at the same tim aslebron freakin james. Im sure these other guys would have dethroned lebron from being mvp in 2009 and 2010. Im sure these other guys would have won more games for the heat between 05-12, right tshkerin, make context excuses for your guys, but context wont apply to d-wade. Accolades dont mean **** in this comparison because those guys dont win **** all if they peak at the same time as 09 and 10 lebron.

I also noticed that you defended moses malone's 45% shooting from the field by mentioning his offensive rating and ts%, but left out the fact that in 84 his team was eliminated by the nets and that he anchored some of the worst defenses ever in houston. You also enjoyed leaving out the fact that teams consistently gave up on moses and he kept getting bounced around. Yeah hes a far more impactful player than wade. Barkley doesnt get knocked by you for the fact that hes basically a negative on defense and doesnt exactly have the edge in peak value, this board ranked wade well above barkley in peak.
Basketballefan
Banned User
And1: 583

Post#22 » by Basketballefan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:10 pm

landooo wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:RealGM Top 100 had him at 22 after the 2011 Finals. 2 rings later (in both of which he played a crucial part so don't downplay the accomplishment), he has to be top 20 now.

Crucial? Certainly in 2012, but in 2013 he had one of the worst playoff runs for any star ever.

16/5/5 on 49.8% TS. Why should he get any credit for that? Honestly, the Heat won in spite of him. He was unbelievably bad.

Well you should know how hurt he was in that run, but he deserves some credit because he played well in the regular season 21 pts on 52% fg which led to homecourt which they needed against indi and the spurs. He came up big in a pivotal game 4 vs spurs with 32 6 4, and 6 steals. Then 23 10 in game 7. To say the heat would've won the finals without wade is pure ignorance.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#23 » by ceiling raiser » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:38 pm

ushvinder88 wrote:Not to mention the nba was a very diluted league from 77-82ish, but according to you every era is on equal footing.

:o

Why do you feel the league was diluted after the merger?
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,662

Post#24 » by Sign5 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:01 am

Great posts by Ushvinder. Saying Wade has no case for a top 15 player of all time is absurd. Funny how it took LeBron playing under his standards for the Mavs to win and Dirk suddenly propels like 10 spots on most people's list. If not for that, Wade would sitting at 4 titles, 2FMVPs and potentially another championship with what projects to be a solid run statistically now that he's healthy. Not to discredit Dirk, as he was phenomenal but Wade was definitely more dominant in that series both the "eye-test" and statistically.

Wade has had a superb career, one where 95% of NBA players ever would die for but he's had a few wrong bounces and injuries that would have made him a top 10 player of all time easily. Most notably, getting injured in 2005, the shoulder injury that practically robbed him of a year and a half of his prime and the meltdown of 2011.
FreeChef
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#25 » by FreeChef » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:05 am

if we're getting into rarified air here, the territory of icons of the game and broader culture, he'll have a hard time cracking the top 15 where longevity and accolades (for most, but not necessarily me) are the price of admission.

but in terms of pure basketball ability and what he can do on the court at the peak of his powers, he certainly isn't out of place on that top 15 list. hypothetically speaking, if we were able to sort these legends into teams so they can play 5 on 5, he wouldn't look out of place on the court. i'm not sure he would start, but he'd be a key rotation guy.
Zasterror
RealGM
And1: 10,019

Post#26 » by Zasterror » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:39 am

Wade's problem in this case is never about ability but about availability. Wade has the talent of a Top 15 player and has proven this numerous of times. But in the grand scheme of things, his lack of good prime longevity compared those higher than him will always hold him back. However, we also have remember that he played in the generation where Kobe was getting unwarranted seasonal awards where Wade should had won them, LeBron James had his 2nd best season of his career during Wade's peak year, the lows of his individual and team success was largely due to injuries (this is directed to the guy who pointed out Wade's 06/07 PS run; Shaq was not the same Shaq and Wade was coming back from the dreaded shoulder injury that cut most of his prime), and when he didn't had the likes of LeBron & Shaq on his team, he had some of the worst of supporting casts in NBA history.

You have to put things in context when you really observe his career and accolades. Without the gaudy career total numbers and RS MVP, Wade will probably just stay in the Top 20 for the rest of his career (unless he miraculously wins another Finals MVP).
ccameron
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,380

Post#27 » by ccameron » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:54 pm

landooo wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:RealGM Top 100 had him at 22 after the 2011 Finals. 2 rings later (in both of which he played a crucial part so don't downplay the accomplishment), he has to be top 20 now.

Crucial? Certainly in 2012, but in 2013 he had one of the worst playoff runs for any star ever.

16/5/5 on 49.8% TS. Why should he get any credit for that? Honestly, the Heat won in spite of him. He was unbelievably bad.

He deserves A LOT of credit. Those who try to point out the stats didn't follow the Heat Postseason. Aside from the fact that, yes, he was very injured, his stats make his contribution look way worse than it was.

All throughout that postseason run it was the same -- Whenever he played well and looked like he was on his way to 25/30 points, it was a blow out and because of the way his rotations worked, he hardly played the 4th quarter at all. Also there were games where he played average and had like 15 points through 3 quarters, but it was still a blowout and he he didn't play the 4th quarter. There were a few games like this in every series. Combine that with a couple games that he played like crap the whole game, and his averages really dragged down a lot. But anyone who watched the series knows he contributed way more than what his stats say.

And yes, factor in the injured part and his ability to play through it. As Spoelstra has said multiple times, most players wouldn't have played, and Wade himself said if it was any worse, he wouldn't have played. The kind of performances he was able to deliver when they needed him means he gets a lot of credit for that title.

I think he is inside the top 20 right now, or at least will be very soon. 15 seems high to me, but his talent and peak are definitely up there -- as someone alreayd mentioned, if 2011 had gone just a little differently (i.e., Lebron showing up a little more), this debate would look a lot different. That just goes to show much these rankings are based on appearances and not necessarily actual talent.
colts18
Head Coach
And1: 3,237

Post#28 » by colts18 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Wade deserves little credit for the postseason run. In the Pacers/Spurs series, he averaged 18/5/4, .501 TS%, 103 O rating, -47 +/- and played a lot of bad defense on Danny Green.
Zasterror
RealGM
And1: 10,019

Post#29 » by Zasterror » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:33 pm

colts18 wrote:Wade deserves little credit for the postseason run. In the Pacers/Spurs series, he averaged 18/5/4, .501 TS%, 103 O rating, -47 +/- and played a lot of bad defense on Danny Green.

One of the biggest myths in current basketball. Watch the series again and try to say Wade was the reason Green went off when Green was lighting up everyone who switched and guarded him. Then watch Game 5-7 and observe how Wade shut him down.
ccameron
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,380

Post#30 » by ccameron » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:24 pm

colts18 wrote:Wade deserves little credit for the postseason run. In the Pacers/Spurs series, he averaged 18/5/4, .501 TS%, 103 O rating, -47 +/- and played a lot of bad defense on Danny Green.

Read my post above. Strongly disagree with you. Wade played 3 very good games in the Pacer's series. Example: Game 3 he had 18 points and played terrific, and didn't play the 4th quarter at all. Just pointing to the fact that he averaged 18 points a a game doesn't tell the whole story.
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 558

Post#31 » by MMyhre » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:57 pm

I remember seeing a pace adjusted comparison and it's in favor of Wade compared to West.

All stats are per 40 minutes, from 1960-69, adjusted to the 2012-13 LG environment.

JW 24.4 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 5.5 apg

Wade is at around 26 ppg 6 rpg 7 apg in a 9 season span 04/05 - 12/13

Efficency is hard to measure since West didn't get his 3 pointers added into the mix, but I think we can say West was a much better shooter and Wade the way superior athlete/slasher (possible GOAT peak slasher imo). I feel like they are alike in many ways, I've heard sayings of West being 6-4 with really long arms and that he was a great defender who actually prided himself on defense first and foremost.

That sounds a lot like Wade, which has his 6-11 wingspan and same height, however I think Wade's athleticism/slashing gives him an edge as far as just being able to take over games on his own + great playmaking and disrupting/help defense abilities on defense. I doubt West was close to the playmaker Wade was at his best, since he had good but not great averages in such a fast paced era. I think Wade is the superior peak player, and West the more durable and steady great player.

What do you prefer? I feel like you should reward the really special peak players (30+ PER, 2 way players, clutch playoffs, unstoppable forces), and we might see a little comeback from Wade in terms of being a great 2nd option these playoffs too. He ain't done yet, and he is already in this discussion? I don't know, I think these playoffs will be huge for him as I don't think he has many years of domination left, and I think he can still be the best SG/top 3-4-5 player for these playoffs when he is locked, loaded and fresh. He was awesome in the first game at least.

As of now he is top 22 something IDK all time?, his peak and prime is top 5<- (underrated peak imo, 30 + PER and hyperelite 2 way play, volume scoring at high efficency + elite playmaking + bonus being a **** highlight machine) -> prime 10-15? But his injury problems suck.

Return to Player Comparisons