Top 100 Project Pre-Lists

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Re: Top 100 Project Pre-Lists 

Post#141 » by SactoKingsFan » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:01 pm

chiefkeef wrote:lol kobe "too inefficient", kobe is going to be 3rd on the scoring list and possible maybe even 2nd depending how he comes back from injury no way is he not a top 10 player of all time this is just disgraceful

jordan- .569% TS
kobe- .555% TS

This is misleading since Jordan's career TS% includes his two seasons with the Wizards. We should really be looking at their primes or extended primes.

88-97 Jordan: .588 TS%, .514 FG%
00-09 Kobe: .559 TS%, .457 FG%

Prime Jordan was significantly more efficient than Kobe. The only reason it's even this close is Kobe's 3 PT shooting. Jordan became a decent 3 PT shooter (.356%) in his prime but he only took 200+ 3's four times. Prime Kobe was a .342% 3 PT shooter and shot more than twice as many 3's as Jordan.
Texhazeallday
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#142 » by Texhazeallday » Thu Sep 4, 2014 1:19 am

lol @ "the only reason". yeah, kobe was a far better 3-peat shooter. last i checked, threes count too.

and it's amazing how these people (like the guy on the previous page) keep repeating the ridiculous "kobe is inefficient" myth even though it's been destroyed over and over and over again. i'll do it again just for fun.

has a career TS/ORTG. Of 56%/112 over 18 seasons.

consistently +3-4% relative to league average TS/+9-11 points over league average ORTG in his 10 year prime. This is very good.

Here’s what prime Kobe’s TS/ORTG numbers would look like in the today’s era based on league-average TS/ORTG of 2014--53.6% TS, 106.7 ORTG

2001: 57% TS/115.7 ORTG
2002: 56% TS/115.7 ORTG
2003: 56.7% TS/114.1 ORTG
2004: 57.1% TS/115.8 ORTG
2005: 56.9% TS/111.8 ORTG
2006: 56.0% TS/114.5 ORTG
2007: 57.5% TS/115.2 ORTG
2008: 57.2% TS/114.2 ORTG
2009: 55.3% TS/114 ORTG
2010: 53.8% TS/108 ORTG---injured

essentially a 57%/114-115 guy every season. that is fantastic.

As you can see his efficiency is consistently excellent/very good throughout his prime.

but keep buying into the narratives.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#143 » by ronnymac2 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 1:23 am

Texhazeallday wrote:lol @ "the only reason". yeah, kobe was a far better 3-peat shooter. last i checked, threes count too.

and it's amazing how these people (like the guy on the previous page) keep repeating the ridiculous "kobe is inefficient" myth even though it's been destroyed over and over and over again. i'll do it again just for fun.

consistently +3-4% relative to league average TS/+9-11 points over league average ORTG in his 10 year prime. This is very good.

Here’s what prime Kobe’s TS/ORTG numbers would look like in the today’s era based on league-average TS/ORTG of 2014--53.6% TS, 106.7 ORTG

As you can see his efficiency is consistently excellent/very good throughout his prime.

Great post Melodabeast, AKA Mojay, AKA however many other PREVIOUSLY BANNED USERNAMES you have.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#144 » by SactoKingsFan » Thu Sep 4, 2014 2:04 am

Texhazeallday wrote:lol @ "the only reason". yeah, kobe was a far better 3-peat shooter. last i checked, threes count too.

Prime Kobe wasn't inefficient like some posters have claimed, but his efficiency also wasn't comparable to prime Jordan which is the point I was making in my previous post.

And although prime Kobe was a prolific 3 PT shooter, his 3 PT % was consistently right around or below league average.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#145 » by PaulieWal » Thu Sep 4, 2014 3:43 am

ronnymac2 wrote:Great post Melodabeast, AKA Mojay, AKA however many other PREVIOUSLY BANNED USERNAMES you have.

:lol:

If you're gonna come back at least change your writing/posting style and not make it this transparent and easy for the rest of us.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
Basketballefan
Banned User
And1: 583

Post#146 » by Basketballefan » Fri Sep 5, 2014 2:49 am

ronnymac2 wrote:

Great post Melodabeast, AKA Mojay, AKA however many other PREVIOUSLY BANNED USERNAMES you have.
I'm pretty sure Melodabeast used to post as landooo..i realized that when he talked about how Wade's 2013 playoffs were "historically bad for a star" etc etc.

Lol.
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#147 » by ThaRegul8r » Sun Sep 7, 2014 9:21 am

PaulieWal wrote:
ronnymac2 wrote:Great post Melodabeast, AKA Mojay, AKA however many other PREVIOUSLY BANNED USERNAMES you have.

:lol:

If you're gonna come back at least change your writing/posting style and not make it this transparent and easy for the rest of us.

People who change aliases never stop to think about their writing/posting style. Changing your name means nothing when you still write the same.
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#148 » by trex_8063 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:50 am

Texhazeallday wrote:

While the TS% statement is more or less true and while I'd generally agree that Kobe's efficiency gets criticized more than is strictly justified, I do have to pick a nit with the ORTG statement: Kobe has never (repeat: NEVER) in his career had a single season with an ORTG 10 pts over league avg (only TWO seasons 9 pts over), much less being 9-11 pts over it for his entire prime.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
D Nice
Veteran
And1: 473

Post#149 » by D Nice » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:29 pm

Edited in my '41-'70. Didn't realize how highly I actually thought of Chauncey until I sat down and forced myself to extend my list. I'll do '71-'100 sometime in the next 3-4 weeks, I think it'll actually be a tad easier than the '41-70 tier. The first half will just be the immediate "snubs" who come to mind, ala Tim Hardaway, Chris Mullin, Sheed, Worthy and the like.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#150 » by Quotatious » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:57 pm

D Nice wrote:Edited in my '41-'70. Didn't realize how highly I actually thought of Chauncey until I sat down and forced myself to extend my list. I'll do '71-'100 sometime in the next 3-4 weeks, I think it'll actually be a tad easier than the '41-70 tier. The first half will just be the immediate "snubs" who come to mind, ala Tim Hardaway, Chris Mullin, Sheed, Worthy and the like.

I like your list. Disagree with a few things (Magic and Bird are too far apart from each other, Oscar at 18 is IMO a bit too low, especially if you have Magic at 4, Oscar at 18 seems weird, Dwight should be a little higher than Zo, at this point, C-Webb is too high, in my opinion, McHale at 35 and Parish at 60 seems like too big of a gap, and I wonder if Dave Cowens is an unintentional omission, or is leaving him off of the list a deliberate choice?), but overall, I think it's a pretty good list, and obviously there are always going to be some things that someone will disagree with, if you have to rank 70 or 100 players, a lot of them being really polarizing.
D Nice
Veteran
And1: 473

Post#151 » by D Nice » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:23 am

Quotatious wrote:
D Nice wrote:Edited in my '41-'70. Didn't realize how highly I actually thought of Chauncey until I sat down and forced myself to extend my list. I'll do '71-'100 sometime in the next 3-4 weeks, I think it'll actually be a tad easier than the '41-70 tier. The first half will just be the immediate "snubs" who come to mind, ala Tim Hardaway, Chris Mullin, Sheed, Worthy and the like.

I like your list. Disagree with a few things (Magic and Bird are too far apart from each other, Oscar at 18 is IMO a bit too low, especially if you have Magic at 4, Oscar at 18 seems weird, Dwight should be a little higher than Zo, at this point, C-Webb is too high, in my opinion, McHale at 35 and Parish at 60 seems like too big of a gap, and I wonder if Dave Cowens is an unintentional omission, or is leaving him off of the list a deliberate choice?), but overall, I think it's a pretty good list, and obviously there are always going to be some things that someone will disagree with, if you have to rank 70 or 100 players, a lot of them being really polarizing.

Re Magic/Larry: Yeah Bird & Magic is the thing that would seem "weirdest," but virtually every time I take time away, come back and re-asses my list I end up with Magic either 4th or 5th and Bird in the 9-11 tier. With the way Bryant, Duncan, and Lebron have continued to add to their resumes/longevity the past few years I haven't felt that I could rank Larry ahead of them any longer without it being based on nostalgia.

With Magic, his extra full season of play ends up being a HUGE edge when you talk about how razor thin I have the comparisons from #4-#11. I think there's a clear drop-off between Russell and whoever you rank 4th, and another huge drop-off after #11 between whoever you rank last of Wilt/Kobe/Bird and #12 (one of KG, West, Dirk, or Erving). And Magic's playoff highs may not have been quite as high as Larry's but he was far more consistent (and, as a product of this consistency, more successful with 5 championships vs. 3).

I also take a very unique approach in my appraisal of Magic in that while I do knock him for having to retire in 91, I don't give him absolutely 0 credit for the '91-'95 stretch. He only didn't play because his illness was completely misunderstood. If he had been born 5 years later he would have continued to play the same ATG level ball he had been playing, as evidenced by what he was able to do as an old fogee in 1996. This doesn't mean I retroactively give him credit for 4 or 5 apex level seasons that didn't happen, but it ends up being just another tiebraker to go his way when you are comparing him to the other players whom have their own chinks. In terms of number of spots it might seem odd to have one at #4 and one at #11, but # of spots =/= degree of separation, or anything close to it. I'm pretty much OK with any order of 4-11 between the Magic, Shaq, Lebron, Hakeem, Duncan, Wilt, Kobe, and Bird. I more take issue when one or more of those guys is not ranked in that top 11, as I think the gap between #11 and #12 is larger than any historical gap between those 8 players.

I feel that even when you look at the amount of talent Magic played with, winning 5 championships in such a compressed window in a league with Jordan, The 80s Sixers, The 80s Pistons, and the 80s Celtics is overachieving compared to what you've seen form Shaq, Lebron, Wilt, or Bird. Conversely 2-3 championships is probably the bare minimum I'd expect from any top 11 player equipped with Bird's supporting casts.

Re Oscar: With Oscar, I think my criticisms are well documented, I believe his gaudy (era-driven) box-score stats and positive personal sentiment inflate opinion him in regards to his actual basketball ability. I feel that we've seen quite a few more impressive contemporary wings than him, though due to their propensity to burn out quickly (Hill, Penny, T-Mac, Wade) mostly due to injury he looks better from an all-time ranking perspective. I don't feel his game ports very well given the fact that the spots he liked to operate in on the court are the easiest to take away in modern schemes (and with superior contemporary athleticism).

It's also not so much an indictment of Oscar as it is praise of Barkley (who I find extremely underrated due to personality issues here) and felt more confident in my assessment after reading some of the statistical work Doc (and a couple others) did even on a post-prime Chuck. And Karl has way, way too much longevity for me to overlook in a comparison versus a guy I have that many questions about (re: era portability, which is even more important when talking about a guy who put his numbers up in the league he did).

I think my top-15 are pretty self-explanatory in their superiority vs. Oscar. West, I could see one raisingthe same questions about since he played in the same era, but I'd think any decent film analysis would dissuade one of drawing the same conclusions about West when he's clearly a GOAT shooter with an unbelievably quick release and a guy whose shots were just as difficult then as they would be now (and equally importantly is putting up shots that any sound team offense can still generate). West also shows the first-rate first step that literally every great contemporary wing (6'6 and under) has, and that Oscar lacks. In carving out a modern template I see him as Penny without the explosive athleticism or 3-point shooting, but a much stronger post base and perhaps superior finishing ability. I'm not sure that measures out as someone competitive for a top 15 spot all time, much less top 12.

Re Cowens: I don't like to opine in matters I consider myself reasonably ignorant in. I don't have the greatest handle on him as a player and am not really fascinated enough by his story to dig up a bunch of footage (if I even could) so I prefer having one or two omissions rather than mis-ranking a guy, doing both him and the others on the list a disservice. He wasn't a member of Larry's Celtics, and he wasn't a member of Bill's Celtics, so he's kinda fallen outside the scope of my "digging." I suppose I could just bballref his stats and place him accordingly, but that would be extremely hypocritical given how oft I've lamented posters here for doing the same thing.

Re: McHale & Parish. I'm not sure why you find this degree of separation to be odd. McHale was better than Parish by an order of several magnitudes. McHale was, quite often, the best player on the court when you have games being played with Magic, Kareem, and Bird all out there simultaneously. It's pretty incredible actually. Had McHale had better longevity, he'd be an unquestionable top 25 player to me. Parish was great, but never really that mind-blowing to me. He has some awesome longevity, but I see him as a more Parker/Ginobili/Gasol level player (comparing him to other guys on winning teams with comparable roles).

Re Webber: If you notice, I actually ended up editing C-Webb down about 8 or 9 spots (to number 59) before I even saw your post. I'm wondering if that's more in line with where you think he should end up. The guy was a top 5 player at least once and has 6 legitimate "superstar" campaigns in addition to an amazing rookie season and a number of other "solid support" level years. He's no less deserving of being a top 60 player than KJ IMO, very similar trajectories at different positions actually.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#152 » by trex_8063 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:57 am

Quotatious wrote:

I like your list. Disagree with a few things (Magic and Bird are too far apart from each other, Oscar at 18 is IMO a bit too low, especially if you have Magic at 4, Oscar at 18 seems weird, Dwight should be a little higher than Zo, at this point, C-Webb is too high, in my opinion........

Generally agree with your comments, with the exception of the bolded one.
We've had some respectful disagreements (one of my favorite features of your posting, btw: you're always courteous and respectful even when disagreeing with people, and basically never make things personal) in the past regarding Chris Webber.
And it suddenly stuck me today, weirdly: I thought I remembered you ranked Elvin Hayes pretty high (which I just double-checked: you had him #31 on your pre-list). What does this have to do with Chris Webber? you might be asking. Well, because when I try to think of a modern-era comparison for Hayes, to some degree it's Webber who comes to mind, and I'll explain......

Your primary criticisms of Webber (iirc) were two-part: 1) poor shot selection and consequent poor scoring efficiency, and 2) lack of effort on defense.

Well, Elvin Hayes would have to sustain the first criticism as well, would he not? Perhaps even to a marginally higher degree than Webber, actually. In that way, he's very similar to Webber, but with less guard skills and significantly lesser passing/play-making. But on a positive flip-side, Hayes was the more capable (or certainly more willing) defender.

Now obv defense is a more important aspect of a big man's game than passing/play-making, so I'll give Hayes a bit of an advantage (as I'm calling it more or less a wash as far as scoring, as they were more or less equals).
And then Hayes probably has a marginal edge in rebounding, and a pretty substantial longevity/durability edge.

So how many places on an ATL is that worth?

Defensively Webber lacked consistent effort, but it's not like he was as lackadaisical as Amar'e Stoudemire (and on the flip-side, Hayes---while good---wasn't like Ben Wallace good). And while play-making isn't as important in a big-man, the gap there (in Webber's favor) is likely even larger. I wouldn't say these things cancel each other out, but I don't think the defense "over-counters" Webber's passing edge by too far. Probably worth a few (maybe even a handful) of places, but not too much more than that, imo.

The rebounding edge is very small, so that's certainly not worth too many places on an ATL.

And then there's the durability/longevity. This is quite obviously the most substantial factor, imo. How many spots is that worth?

If I remember right, you rank Webber in the vicinity of #80 (is that right?). So how then do you justify Hayes as high as #31? It seems that you must be crediting the durability edge alone to be worth ~40 places (which seems like an awful lot).
There seems to be an inconsistency in having ~50 places separating these two individuals, is what I'm saying.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#153 » by john248 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:38 am

I've been souring a bit on Hayes as I was looking at my top 50. Personality aside, he's a bit of a black hole on offense where he was an athletic guy but liked those turnarounds, and doubling him looked effective which exposed his lack of passing skills. You're giving up a handful of possessions due to those ill-advised shots. His rebounding isn't as impressive to me anymore. Unseld looks to be better in that regard and seemed just as valuable with his outlet passes, screen setting, and really just a good complimentary personality with Hayes. It's tough for me to pinpoint exactly how much of a defensive impact that Hayes had; this isn't meant to be read as I think he had none. But it looks like the Bullets had solid defenders on that team. Dude was an ironman...38 mpg with 9 games missed his entire career over 16 years. I don't see him as a top 50 type anymore.
The Last Word
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#154 » by Quotatious » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:50 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Generally agree with your comments, with the exception of the bolded one.
We've had some respectful disagreements (one of my favorite features of your posting, btw: you're always courteous and respectful even when disagreeing with people, and basically never make things personal) in the past regarding Chris Webber.
And it suddenly stuck me today, weirdly: I thought I remembered you ranked Elvin Hayes pretty high (which I just double-checked: you had him #31 on your pre-list). What does this have to do with Chris Webber? you might be asking. Well, because when I try to think of a modern-era comparison for Hayes, to some degree it's Webber who comes to mind, and I'll explain......

Your primary criticisms of Webber (iirc) were two-part: 1) poor shot selection and consequent poor scoring efficiency, and 2) lack of effort on defense.

First of all, let me say this - I really appreciate your comment (even And 1'd it), because I often feel like some of my rankings may be a little unfair. I'm always trying my best to be objective, but certainly humans are susceptible to biases and may choose the kind of argumention that supports their preconceived notions. I may be guilty of that with regards to Webber. I really have nothing against the guy (actually seems like a pretty cool, decent dude), and even on the court, he was certainly a unique player...Just not always in a positive way. His finesse game/passing was certainly great, but he just happens to be relatively mediocre (for a star, supposedly a top 5 player at one point, in the early 2000s) in the most important areas for a bigman - efficient scoring, defense, and willingness to attack the basket (his jumper was pretty decent, but not still not good enough to justify that kind of shooting volume from the midrange area), and he couldn't really draw fouls well, either.

To be fair, me being low on Webber may be a result of his unimpressive advanced numbers, and generally poor playoff performances, which makes me think the recognition he got (All-NBA team 5 straight years, three times 2nd, one third and even one first team, as well as pretty high MVP shares) was undeserved, but looking at his RAPM numbers, they're surprisingly good (even defensively, and for example he's similar to Tim Hardaway in the sense that his RAPM looks much better than his boxscore numbers), but even then, the fact that Sacramento didn't decline by any significant margin with him being out for the majority of that season, makes me doubt his impact, just a bit...
trex_8063 wrote:Well, Elvin Hayes would have to sustain the first criticism as well, would he not? Perhaps even to a marginally higher degree than Webber, actually. In that way, he's very similar to Webber, but with less guard skills and significantly lesser passing/play-making. But on a positive flip-side, Hayes was the more capable (or certainly more willing) defender.

Now obv defense is a more important aspect of a big man's game than passing/play-making, so I'll give Hayes a bit of an advantage (as I'm calling it more or less a wash as far as scoring, and they were more or less equals).
And then Hayes probably has a marginal edge in rebounding, and a pretty substantial longevity/durability edge.

So how many places on an ATL is that worth?

Defensively Webber lacked consistent effort, but it's not like he was as lackadaisical as Amar'e Stoudemire (and on the flip-side, Hayes---while good---wasn't like Ben Wallace good). And while play-making isn't as important in a big-man, the gap there (in Webber's favor) is likely even larger. I wouldn't say these things cancel each other out, but I don't think the defense "over-counters" Webber's passing edge by too far. Probably worth a few (maybe even a handful) of places, but not too much more than that, imo.

The rebounding edge is very small, so that's certainly not worth too many places on an ATL.

And then there's the durability/longevity. This is quite obviously the most substantial factor, imo. How many spots is that worth?

If I remember right, you rank Webber in the vicinity of #80 (is that right?). So how then do you justify Hayes as high as #31? It seems that you must be crediting the durability edge alone to be worth ~40 places (which seems like an awful lot).
There seems to be an inconsistency in having ~50 places separating these two individuals, is what I'm saying.

Fair point about Webber/Hayes being similar (poor) in terms of scoring efficiency, but his defense seems to be really underrated. I admit I'm influenced by ElGee here (I remember he once ranked Hayes as a top 15 defensive player of all-time), and I value longevity/durability really highly (I mean the kind of longevity that Hayes had, where a guy is an All-Star caliber player for almost his entire career, like Hayes was basically for 13 or 14 seasons in a row), and as much as Hayes gets criticzed for his playoff struggles (he certainly had a few - 1979 finals, in particular, when he shot below 40% from the field as a bigman), his career playoff numbers actually looks a bit better than his RS numbers.

One thing I'm surprised by is that you say I ranked Webber around 80...I certainly didn't, actually never even put together an all-time list longer than 55 (and I'm sure you've seen my remarks about not being satisfied with my consistency). Off the top of my head, I'd say around 65 would be right for C-Webb, and it means that I probably overrate Hayes a bit. Maybe #40, or so, would be a more proper ranking for him, but I think that Hayes is roughly comparable to players like Kidd and Havlicek, who are almost universally seen as top 35 guys, so it's hard to figure out...I mean, Hayes, Kidd and Havlicek all had the same weakness - relatively ineffficient scorers, but excellent defenders with great longevity. Elvin's passing wasn't good, but he may've had an even higher defensive impact than Kidd and Havlicek, because of the bigman > wing/guard thing, particularly in the pre 3-point era. In my mind, he doesn't even look bad when I compare him to the guys who mainly impacted the game on the offensive end, like Baylor and Barry (sure, FWIW both were high volume scorer, more so than Hayes), but Hayes was much better than both on defense, and he has clearly better longevity than both.

I guess I may be a little extreme as far as how I rank the Big E. I was really low on him because of his poor offensive game, even just a year ago, but then I realized how great his longevity, durability and defense was, also good rebounding, and moved him up quite a bit on my list (or rather, just ranked him higher than I thought I would have, because my pre-list for our top 100 project is actually the first time i was able to compile a list like that - now, looking back at that, I immediately see some obvious flaws and inconsistencies on it).

I'll really have to extend and rethink my list as we're slowly approaching the 40s in our project though, because while I'm fairly satisfied with my top 40, anything beyond that is pretty much wide open.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,672

Post#155 » by penbeast0 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:43 pm

trex_8063 wrote:... Well, because when I try to think of a modern-era comparison for Hayes, to some degree it's Webber who comes to mind, and I'll explain......

Those may have been the only two things that Quotatious mentioned but certainly not the only legitimate critiques of Webber.

3. Poor leader. Webber was constant complainer throughout his years in Golden State and Washington. He demanded max money then didn't work hard at practice, stayed out on the town before games, had some incidents with the law (cars, pot, perjury), and generally was a poor role model and poor leader. He seemed to put most of those issues behind him in Sacramento and, not coincidentally, had his biggest success there, but for a large part of his early career, he was a locker room cancer.

4. Problems in the clutch. Whether it was calling illegal time outs, missing key free throws, or making key errors, Chris Webber was plagued his whole career with mental errors when the pressure got high. If we are giving the great winners like Russell, Jordan, etc credit for stepping up on the biggest stage, you have to also penalize the guys that came up small and Webber is one of the poster boys for mental freezes under pressure.

NOTE: I don't think Webber's inefficiency and many of his defensive problems came from poor decision making; Webber was an intelligent player. I think that the problem he had was, from watching him close up for several years, he really didn't like physical contact. This affected his offense because, while his fg% was good, his inefficiency comes from a lack of foul draw -- many guys will jump into other players to draw contact; Webber would choose the other route much more often. He was athletic enough to still make the shots (though this led him to stay outside and shoot 3's much more than his skills would indicate), but he didn't get the secondary points off of And-1s and fouled while shooting. Defensively, he didn't like to body up his opponent so opposing bigs could frequently get excellent position by just pushing into him; he would let them have the position then try for block with his athleticism rather than defend by fighting for position. I understand it; but it isn't a good formula for success as an NBA big.

“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
WorldBeFree
Starter
And1: 406

Post#156 » by WorldBeFree » Mon Nov 3, 2014 12:04 am

No love for iverson here. The only players i saw playing that are on his level are Kobe and Wade (for guards) easy in my top 25. Most of the lists here are fine cant argue, but iverson rated to low in my opinion.

Sent from my D2303 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Basketballefan
Banned User
And1: 583

Post#157 » by Basketballefan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:42 pm

WorldBeFree wrote:No love for iverson here. The only players i saw playing that are on his level are Kobe and Wade (for guards) easy in my top 25. Most of the lists here are fine cant argue, but iverson rated to low in my opinion.

Sent from my D2303 using RealGM Forums mobile app

I dont see how Iverson can reasonably be placed top 30 let alone top 25.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#158 » by Moonbeam » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:06 am

I know it's no longer a "pre"-list, but I've put together an idea of a top 120. I'm sure I'll change it a lot with time, but anyway...

[1] Michael Jordan
[2] Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
[3] Bill Russell
[4] Wilt Chamberlain
[5] Magic Johnson
[6] Shaquille O'Neal
[7] Tim Duncan
[8] LeBron James
[9] Larry Bird
[10] Jerry West
[11] Hakeem Olajuwon
[12] Julius Erving
[13] Oscar Robertson
[14] Kobe Bryant
[15] Kevin Garnett
[16] David Robinson
[17] Dirk Nowitzki
[18] Karl Malone
[19] George Mikan
[20] Moses Malone
[21] Charles Barkley
[22] Walt Frazier
[23] Bob Pettit
[24] Dwyane Wade
[25] Scottie Pippen
[26] John Stockton
[27] Steve Nash
[28] Patrick Ewing
[29] John Havlicek
[30] Clyde Drexler
[31] Elgin Baylor
[32] Artis Gilmore
[33] Gary Payton
[34] Reggie Miller
[35] Rick Barry
[36] Paul Pierce
[37] Ray Allen
[38] Chris Paul
[39] Dwight Howard
[40] Dolph Schayes
[41] Isiah Thomas
[42] Kevin Durant
[43] Kevin McHale
[44] Willis Reed
[45] Adrian Dantley
[46] Robert Parish
[47] George Gervin
[48] Jason Kidd
[49] Alex English
[50] Pau Gasol
[51] Alonzo Mourning
[52] Dave Cowens
[53] Bob Lanier
[54] Dikembe Mutombo
[55] Dominique Wilkins
[56] Kevin Johnson
[57] Chauncey Billups
[58] Tracy McGrady
[59] Sam Jones
[60] Nate Thurmond
[61] Paul Arizin
[62] Manu Ginobili
[63] Bob Cousy
[64] Sidney Moncrief
[65] Elvin Hayes
[66] Allen Iverson
[67] James Worthy
[68] Bob McAdoo
[69] Dennis Rodman
[70] Wes Unseld
[71] Neil Johnston
[72] Vince Carter
[73] Bill Walton
[74] Joe Dumars
[75] Ben Wallace
[76] Grant Hill
[77] Maurice Cheeks
[78] Bernard King
[79] Bill Sharman
[80] Horace Grant
[81] Rasheed Wallace
[82] Cliff Hagan
[83] Tony Parker
[84] Walt Bellamy
[85] Chris Bosh
[86] Chris Webber
[87] Jerry Lucas
[88] Larry Nance
[89] Marques Johnson
[90] Shawn Marion
[91] Terry Porter
[92] Shawn Kemp
[93] Vern Mikkelsen
[94] Tiny Archibald
[95] Detlef Schrempf
[96] Anfernee Hardaway
[97] Jack Sikma
[98] Yao Ming
[99] Bobby Jones
[100] Elton Brand
[101] Carmelo Anthony
[102] Dan Issel
[103] Buck Williams
[104] Gus Williams
[105] Chris Mullin
[106] Dennis Johnson
[107] Mark Price
[108] Marcus Camby
[109] George Yardley
[110] Amar'e Stoudemire
[111] Tyson Chandler
[112] Larry Foust
[113] Chet Walker
[114] Bill Laimbeer
[115] Deron Williams
[116] Peja Stojakovic
[117] Jeff Hornacek
[118] Steve Smith
[119] Tim Hardaway
[120] Mitch Richmond
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#159 » by Quotatious » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Moonbeam wrote:I know it's no longer a "pre"-list, but I've put together an idea of a top 120. I'm sure I'll change it a lot with time, but anyway...

[1] Michael Jordan
[2] Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
[3] Bill Russell
[4] Wilt Chamberlain
[5] Magic Johnson
[6] Shaquille O'Neal
[7] Tim Duncan
[8] LeBron James
[9] Larry Bird
[10] Jerry West
[11] Hakeem Olajuwon
[12] Julius Erving
[13] Oscar Robertson
[14] Kobe Bryant
[15] Kevin Garnett
[16] David Robinson
[17] Dirk Nowitzki
[18] Karl Malone
[19] George Mikan
[20] Moses Malone
[21] Charles Barkley
[22] Walt Frazier
[23] Bob Pettit
[24] Dwyane Wade
[25] Scottie Pippen
[26] John Stockton
[27] Steve Nash
[28] Patrick Ewing
[29] John Havlicek
[30] Clyde Drexler
[31] Elgin Baylor
[32] Artis Gilmore
[33] Gary Payton
[34] Reggie Miller
[35] Rick Barry
[36] Paul Pierce
[37] Ray Allen
[38] Chris Paul
[39] Dwight Howard
[40] Dolph Schayes
[41] Isiah Thomas
[42] Kevin Durant
[43] Kevin McHale
[44] Willis Reed
[45] Adrian Dantley
[46] Robert Parish
[47] George Gervin
[48] Jason Kidd
[49] Alex English
[50] Pau Gasol
[51] Alonzo Mourning
[52] Dave Cowens
[53] Bob Lanier
[54] Dikembe Mutombo
[55] Dominique Wilkins
[56] Kevin Johnson
[57] Chauncey Billups
[58] Tracy McGrady
[59] Sam Jones
[60] Nate Thurmond
[61] Paul Arizin
[62] Manu Ginobili
[63] Bob Cousy
[64] Sidney Moncrief
[65] Elvin Hayes
[66] Allen Iverson
[67] James Worthy
[68] Bob McAdoo
[69] Dennis Rodman
[70] Wes Unseld
[71] Neil Johnston
[72] Vince Carter
[73] Bill Walton
[74] Joe Dumars
[75] Ben Wallace
[76] Grant Hill
[77] Maurice Cheeks
[78] Bernard King
[79] Bill Sharman
[80] Horace Grant
[81] Rasheed Wallace
[82] Cliff Hagan
[83] Tony Parker
[84] Walt Bellamy
[85] Chris Bosh
[86] Chris Webber
[87] Jerry Lucas
[88] Larry Nance
[89] Marques Johnson
[90] Shawn Marion
[91] Terry Porter
[92] Shawn Kemp
[93] Vern Mikkelsen
[94] Tiny Archibald
[95] Detlef Schrempf
[96] Anfernee Hardaway
[97] Jack Sikma
[98] Yao Ming
[99] Bobby Jones
[100] Elton Brand
[101] Carmelo Anthony
[102] Dan Issel
[103] Buck Williams
[104] Gus Williams
[105] Chris Mullin
[106] Dennis Johnson
[107] Mark Price
[108] Marcus Camby
[109] George Yardley
[110] Amar'e Stoudemire
[111] Tyson Chandler
[112] Larry Foust
[113] Chet Walker
[114] Bill Laimbeer
[115] Deron Williams
[116] Peja Stojakovic
[117] Jeff Hornacek
[118] Steve Smith
[119] Tim Hardaway
[120] Mitch Richmond

Seems like a very solid list. There are some very interesting, controversial things - West over Hakeem, Frazier over Wade (these two I would have to disagree with), Isiah out of the top 40 (here, I'm actually inclined to agree), Dantley over Gervin (also would disagree), Reggie so far ahead of Gervin (I rank Iceman higher), Hayes is very low, Iverson so far behind Isiah, Melo so far behind Nique and English, Steve Smith ahead of Mitch Richmond.

Interesting to see Ho Grant and Sheed around #80. That's probably roughly where I would put them, as well (not sure if I'd take them over Nance and Marion, though).

I'm just picking on some things here, but it's a good list, at first glance. Obviously I don't know your criteria, so I won't criticize anything. I'd just like to know your reasoning for some of those choices that I mentioned. Especially West over Olajuwon, Frazier over Wade, and Reggie so far ahead of Gervin.
penbeast0
And1: 8,672

Post#160 » by penbeast0 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Didn't notice that . . . Steve Smith over Mitch Richmond? WHY?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Player Comparisons