Who's the worst coach to win a NBA Championship?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Worst coach to win a NBA Championship

Bill Russell
No votes
Dick Motta
No votes
Paul Westhead
18%
K.C. Jones
6%
Rudy Tomjanovich
29%
Doc Rivers
No votes
Erik Spoelstra
41%
Other
6%

Total votes: 17

Rupert Murdoch
Starter
And1: 1,906

Post#1 » by Rupert Murdoch » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:06 pm

It's harder to rank coaches in basketball because it's so player-driven but if you had to pick one, who was the worst of the bunch? For me, the first name that comes to my mind is Paul "I make Mike D'Antoni look like a defensive genius" Westhead. He was a disaster with the Nuggets after leaving the Showtime Lakers. I'm not particularly impressed with Bill Russell either. Bill Russell the coach was very mediocre when he didn't have a team with Bill Russell the player.
magicmerl
Analyst
And1: 830

Re: Who's the worst coach to win a NBA Championship? 

Post#2 » by magicmerl » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Having Rivers, Rudy and Spo on a list of bad coaches is a bit of a joke.
Purch
Veteran
And1: 2,053

Post#3 » by Purch » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Rivera and Rudy should be off the list, they're both above averge.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#4 » by RSCD3_ » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:34 pm

magicmerl wrote:Having Rivers, Rudy and Spo on a list of bad coaches is a bit of a joke.

When you look back of the last 30
Years there isn't a lot of championship winning coaches

Popovich
Spolestra
Carlisle
Jackson
Rivers
Riley
Brown
Rudy T
Daly
Jones
Fitch
Westhead

And that covers all of the 3pt era

If your gonna say nobody is below average on this above list then the center changes

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#5 » by RSCD3_ » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Purch wrote:Rivera and Rudy should be off the list, they're both above averge.

RSCD3_ wrote:
magicmerl wrote:Having Rivers, Rudy and Spo on a list of bad coaches is a bit of a joke.

Popovich
Spolestra
Carlisle
Jackson
Rivers
Riley
Brown
Rudy T
Daly
Jones
Fitch
Westhead

Out of these coaches in the 3 pt era who would you rank as above average, average and below average

I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Post#6 » by G35 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:13 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:

Popovich
Spolestra
Carlisle
Jackson
Rivers
Riley
Brown
Rudy T
Daly
Jones
Fitch
Westhead

If your gonna say nobody is below average on this above list then the center changes

I am really interested in hearing what some of the more respected posters have to say about this topic......
I'm so tired of the typical......
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#7 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:25 pm

Well, from this list it's clearly Westhead, at least as a professional coach. If you can't keep Magic Johnson happy with a ring and a finals appearance in your first two years, sheesh . . .

The jury is out of Spoelstra (and to a much lesser extent Carlisle); his rep will depend a lot on his post-LeBron success.

Of the others, KC Jones is probably the most "average" of the coaches. Not a great innovator, motivator, or X and O guy, but a solid professional coach whose one main weakness was probably his desire to win extra regular season games and burning out his starters with big minutes.

Bill Fitch could be the worst depending on the team. A great basketball mind and very successful in some places but a yeller and screamer who could wear out his welcome fast. (Larry Brown may have been as intense but was less abusive and tended to leave before everyone got sick of him, lol.)

As for the rest, the list of GOAT coaches tends to start with Red, Phil, Larry, Pat, and Pop, 4 of whom are on that list leaving only Doc Rivers, Rudy Tomjanovich, and Chuck Daly. And I have Chuck Daly in my top 10 of all time without a doubt; probably closer to 6 than 10.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#8 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:36 pm

I'm surprised to see Doc Rivers on this list, I know there is backlash for all the hype he gets and people feel that he is overrated, but he's certainly a very good coach.

I thought he really proved his stripes for sure on LAC this year. I thought he made a very noticeable and positive impact on those players.

I've also never seen someone get criticism for having a great assistant coach. Shouldn't him having Thibs as his defensive coach be a pro in his favor?
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#9 » by PaulieWal » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:38 pm

penbeast0 wrote:The jury is out of Spoelstra (and to a much lesser extent Carlisle); his rep will depend a lot on his post-LeBron success.

I agree on Spo (I think he will be good this season) but is the jury still really out on Carlisle? I thought what he did post-2011 by making the playoffs in 12 and 14 (pushing the Spurs to 7) and being extremely competitive in 13 proved that he is an elite coach in the league. To me he is #2 behind Pop right now in the entire league.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
Purch
Veteran
And1: 2,053

Post#10 » by Purch » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:39 pm

Wait why is the Jury still out on Carsile? His schemes against the Heat in 11 and Spurs in 14 just show how elite a coach he is
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#11 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:40 pm

I'm perplexed on why the jury is out on Carsile as well. He's easily the second best coach behind Popovich to me right now, better than Thibedou. Perhaps PenBeast meant if Carsile will ever be seen as an all time great coach?
penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#12 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:52 pm

I don't think there's any doubt that Carlisle is an excellent coach but I think the case is still open comparing him to the likes of Chuck Daly and the top 10 NBA coaches of all time.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#13 » by Warspite » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:55 am

I concur with Penbeast about Westhead.

For me KC Jones is pretty bad. Couldnt draw a play to save his life. Horrible rotations and never used his bench.

I recall many a TOs in which the players would just toon him out and that as they would get to the court Bird would just point and they all knew the play.

One of the worst end of game plays has Ainge throwing in the ball to Bird to hits a 30fter for the win but KC called a TO because he didnt like it. Luckily for him they did the same play and Bird hit another 30fter for the win. Right in X mans face.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#14 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Warspite wrote:I concur with Penbeast about Westhead.

For me KC Jones is pretty bad. Couldnt draw a play to save his life. Horrible rotations and never used his bench.

I recall many a TOs in which the players would just toon him out and that as they would get to the court Bird would just point and they all knew the play.

One of the worst end of game plays has Ainge throwing in the ball to Bird to hits a 30fter for the win but KC called a TO because he didnt like it. Luckily for him they did the same play and Bird hit another 30fter for the win. Right in X mans face.

Most players, like K.C. Jones, from the older era were not much for x's and o's. They knew who their best players were and tried to have them on the floor and get the ball to them. Many of them just put their best players on the floor and watched only making substitutions when necessary.
It wasn't until coaches like Dick Motta, Bill Sharman, and college coaches came along and stressed more technical things did the strategy change. Jones probably took his cues from Red Auerbach who set up a winning strategy in Boston for twenty years and basically only changed the players.

Return to Player Comparisons