GOAT Tiers

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Re: GOAT Tiers 

Post#21 » by Joao Saraiva » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:40 am

Wile E. Coyote wrote:I have two tiers in the top ten based on my formula:

The 300+ point club: Jordan, Jabbar, Russell, Wilt.

The 200+ point club: LeBron, Duncan, Kobe, Shaq, Johnson, and Bird.

There's a big gap between the two tiers.

How are the players given points?
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Wile E. Coyote
Lead Assistant
And1: 868

Post#22 » by Wile E. Coyote » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:59 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:

It's a combination of statistics and accolades. I have a list in each grouping and weighted them all against each other. For example, an MVP award (an accolade) is worth 12 points and a scoring title (stat) is worth 4 points.

I'll have to post an updated list soon. Here's the original thread.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM

Post#23 » by Joao Saraiva » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:24 am

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:

It's a combination of statistics and accolades. I have a list in each grouping and weighted them all against each other. For example, an MVP award (an accolade) is worth 12 points and a scoring title (stat) is worth 4 points.

I get the idea but I don't like the formula that much. I have a problem with a lot of things like winning the scoring tittle, or the MVP award. For example, Durant's performance in 2013 would get him the MVP award in a ton of seasons but not in that one. So we're rewarding other guys that didn't have a season as good as KD and punishing KD because he was playing against peak LeBron?

I think the formula fails there. I prefer stats more like: above 25 PER seasons, above 30 PER seasons. Above 25 WS/48 seasons... that's only about the player and not about the other guys in the league.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Wile E. Coyote
Lead Assistant
And1: 868

Post#24 » by Wile E. Coyote » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:38 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:I get the idea but I don't like the formula that much. I have a problem with a lot of things like winning the scoring tittle, or the MVP award. For example, Durant's performance in 2013 would get him the MVP award in a ton of seasons but not in that one. So we're rewarding other guys that didn't have a season as good as KD and punishing KD because he was playing against peak LeBron?

I think the formula fails there. I prefer stats more like: above 25 PER seasons, above 30 PER seasons. Above 25 WS/48 seasons... that's only about the player and not about the other guys in the league.

I think KD makes out pretty well using my formula. He current has 92 points and is rated somewhere around #40 all-time. With a few more seasons of All-NBA play, he'll be in the top twenty five soon.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM

Post#25 » by Joao Saraiva » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:57 am

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:I get the idea but I don't like the formula that much. I have a problem with a lot of things like winning the scoring tittle, or the MVP award. For example, Durant's performance in 2013 would get him the MVP award in a ton of seasons but not in that one. So we're rewarding other guys that didn't have a season as good as KD and punishing KD because he was playing against peak LeBron?

I think KD makes out pretty well using my formula. He current has 92 points and is rated somewhere around #40 all-time. With a few more seasons of All-NBA play, he'll be in the top twenty five soon.

Well that wasn't my point. The point is that the 2013 season of KD is certainly better than some MVP seasons for other guys.

Still yes KD is about right on that spot.
raptorsfan24
Banned User
And1: 794

Post#26 » by raptorsfan24 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:58 am

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:

Good work. That's an interesting way to rank players.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,753

Post#27 » by G35 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:49 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:
G35 wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:
I would like to know what are the peak seasons of Duncan are above LBJ 2009, 2012 and 2013 at least. Care to explain? On the other hand I don't care too. Your opinion isn't worth ****. Btw why are we all here? All our opinions aren't worth anything.

If you want to give your opinion you can....all day. When you state it as a fact and there is no argument, then your opinion becomes worthless.

And I agree, everyone's opinion is just that...an opinion.....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qphxc1CiQYE[/youtube]

Of course when I say something it's my opinion. Should I write before every single post "I think" or "My opinion is" ? Are you friends with captain obvious?

And btw that was a great way to not replying. What seasons of Duncan are above LBJ 09, 12 and 13?

You didn't preface anything. You didn't qualify anything, e.g. "Imo Lebron has four years better than anything Duncan has done in his career"...."I believe..." or "I feel...", you bluntly stated that Lebron is on another tier than Duncan which is not a fact. You can't prove that no way, shape, or form......
I'm so tired of the typical......
BUCKSWEATSHIRT
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#28 » by BUCKSWEATSHIRT » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:53 am

RayBan-Sematra wrote:Tier 1 : Jordan, Kareem, Shaq, Russell

These guys are the cream of the crop.
These legends were consistently dominant for a good 13-14 years.
They entered the league dominant, stayed dominant and remained dominant for a long time.
Jabbar was less consistent then the other 3 but he makes up for it with his GOAT longevity.

------------------------------------------

Tier 2 : Duncan, Hakeem, Magic

These guys just missed the cut but are still among the best ever.
Compared to the first tier they are either lacking in longevity or consistency.
Duncan has a shorter Prime then the Tier 1 legends, Hakeem has some potential consistency issues in his youth and Magic lacks in overall longevity.

------------------------------------------

Tier 3 : Wilt, Lebron, Bird, Kobe

These guys are still arguably in the Top 10 which is a rare enough feat but they are lacking compared to the above groups.
Kobe lacks in consistency (early 00's VS late 00's) and in overall elite longevity (11 elite years).
Bird lacks in longevity and is was also clearly a less consistent playoff performer then the players in the Top 2 Tiers.

I think Wilt should be over Shaq. Is there a reason you don't think so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Player Comparisons