Rank the top ten seasons between Ewing,Malone,Barkley,Dwight

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Re: Rank the top ten seasons between Ewing,Malone,Barkley,Dw 

Post#21 » by Quotatious » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:11 pm

ShaqAttack3234 wrote: Chuck himself has said that he played his best ball in Philly, but he just had better teams in Phoenix.

Yeah, here's the exact quote:

“I played well in ’93,” Barkley said. “We lost to a team that won six championships. We lost to the champs three years in a row (after losing to the Rockets the next two years). That’s all I wanted. The only regret that I have about my career honestly is I wish I had left Philadelphia sooner because I played there for eight years and I was a much better player in Philadelphia than I was in Phoenix. I wish I could have got a couple more looks at it when I was younger, but I got three great looks at it."

1993 Barkley was still great (IMO similar level to 2011 Dirk, taking both the RS and playoffs into account as a whole), actually he was still a truly great player even in his last season in PHX in 1996, but I'd take 1988-91 Barkley over 93.
Ancalagon
Pro Prospect
And1: 342

Post#22 » by Ancalagon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:41 am

ShaqAttack3234 wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:Here is my top 10:

1. Barkley '93
2. Malone '98
3. Howard '09
4. Malone '92
5. Malone '97
6. Barkley '90
7. Malone '96
8. Malone '00
9. Malone '94
10. Barkley '91

It is actually Ewing who gets left out of my Top 10.

Wow, that's surprising. Really? Not even '90 Ewing? In '90, Mychal Thompson was quoted as saying Ewing might be the best in the league and Magic were "shoulder and shoulder" for best player in the league. I can't see the case at all for '09 Dwight being top 3, especially since the superior 2011 version of Dwight didn't even make the cut. Ewing was a great defender himself, and a better offensive player than Dwight, especially from '90-'93.

Prokorov wrote:93 barkley was better then any other barkley season. he may have had better numbers a couple other years but nowhere close as far as on court impact. it was BY FAR his peak. no other season did he change the dyanmic of the game as he did that MVP season

I don't see the "nowhere close" claim at all. You could argue Barkley fit in better with more talent because he didn't hold the ball as much/long and shot more jumpers and his passing has never been better, but he had a lot more talent around him in '93. In Philly, from '89-'91, he was leading elite offenses with significantly less help because Chuck was unstoppable 1 on 1. Chuck himself has said that he played his best ball in Philly, but he just had better teams in Phoenix.

I factored in postseason performance heavily, perhaps too heavily- hence my bias toward Barkley '93 and Malone '98. But in the end I can't judge how good a player was at any given point in time, I can only judge how they performed. And postseason performance is obviously the most critical against the best competition.

That said, I am probably wrong overlooking 1990 Ewing and some of his monster performances against Detroit.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Post#23 » by G35 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:16 am

Ancalagon wrote:
G35 wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:Malone out of a lot of top 10s. Aren't his 97 and 92 seasons at least worth to make it to this top 10? I know Barkley's peak is more impressive but do you guys really think Barkley has 3 or 4 seasons better than Malone's best?

Without question, lol......

The fact that you would use an "lol" here is in itself an "lol."

Here is my top 10:

1. Barkley '93
2. Malone '98
3. Howard '09
4. Malone '92
5. Malone '97
6. Barkley '90
7. Malone '96
8. Malone '00
9. Malone '94
10. Barkley '91

It is actually Ewing who gets left out of my Top 10.

Sorry, inside joke on Joao, this was a remark based on a discussion we had in another thread about inarguable comparisons. I think when you compare all time greats there is always an argument. I think Barkley was better than Karl, but not every year/all the time. Karl definitely has an argument.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
ShaqAttack3234
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#24 » by ShaqAttack3234 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:04 pm

Ancalagon wrote:I factored in postseason performance heavily, perhaps too heavily- hence my bias toward Barkley '93 and Malone '98. But in the end I can't judge how good a player was at any given point in time, I can only judge how they performed. And postseason performance is obviously the most critical against the best competition.

That said, I am probably wrong overlooking 1990 Ewing and some of his monster performances against Detroit.

Yeah, I get that, but it just seemed to me you were influenced more by who happened to be on a good team as opposed to how they actually performed in the playoffs with '97 Malone being an example since he really didn't play all that well in the '97 playoffs. Stockton was the guy who really stepped up for Utah that run. But even by that criteria, I find the exclusion of '93 Ewing strange because he did get to the conference finals and averaged 25.5 ppg and 11 rpg on 51% shooting in 15 playoff games.

But yeah, Ewing was a monster in the '90 playoffs vs Boston, and while Detroit(who were imo, the best defensive team in the league) did a better job containing him, Ewing did dominate at times such as 45/13/6 in game 3 and then 30 points in the 2nd half of game 4 after being held scoreless in the 1st half due to being in foul trouble most of the 1st half. I thought Ewing was impressive in the '92 playoff as well.

Return to Player Comparisons