PC Board OT thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: PC Board OT thread 

Post#1421 » by E-Balla » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:38 pm

Not sure if you guys pay attention to the WNBA but Delle Donne is looking like the GOAT female baller right now.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#1422 » by Quotatious » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:59 pm

E-Balla wrote:Not sure if you guys pay attention to the WNBA but Delle Donne is looking like the GOAT female baller right now.

Just looked at advanced stats for WNBA on basketball-reference, and it's funny how there were six seasons with 32+ PER in the WNBA but none in the NBA. :) Delle Donne is currently #1 all-time.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#1423 » by E-Balla » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:06 pm

Quotatious wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Not sure if you guys pay attention to the WNBA but Delle Donne is looking like the GOAT female baller right now.

Just looked at advanced stats for WNBA on basketball-reference, and it's funny how there were six seasons with 32+ PER in the WNBA but none in the NBA. :) Delle Donne is currently #1 all-time.

The crazy part is that she's a great shooter (was like 41% in college and in her first 2 seasons in the WNBA) but she can't buy a bucket right now from deep. If she shot her regular 40% she'd have around a 40 PER.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#1424 » by bondom34 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Wow I knew EDD was amazing, but just looked up her stats now and its laughable :lol:. And she's off from 3, as you said she picks that up and it will be insane, may get her WS/48 over .500.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,544

Post#1425 » by sp6r=underrated » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:31 pm

The numbers - especially for the Sixers, with an average of only 23,000 adults watching their games on TV last season - are startlingly low for storied franchises in the nation's fourth-largest TV market, observers say.

As a point of comparison the Phillies who are historically bad as well still average 123,000 viewers per game.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20150717_Phillies__Sixers__and_Flyers_aretanking_in_TV_ratings__too.html#djKUxluQfEfuFCbA.99

A decline in ratings is to be expected when a franchise more or less openly admits it wants to lose games for three seasons but 23,000 people is pretty pathetic. I would favor a radical restructuring of the CBA to bring true competition amongst teams. That will never happen.

Nonetheless, the NBA Draft rules will eventually need to be changed. In a normal business, Harris and crew would be forced to attempt to compete. Instead the CBA rewards them for not trying.

The players and owners are basically subsidizing a team that doesn't give a damn. This is unsustainable long term
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,758

Post#1426 » by GSP » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:56 pm

I dont pay attention to any female sports besides Mma when Ronda or Joanna Champion are fighting :lol:
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#1427 » by kingkirk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:30 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrt27dZ7DOA&spfreload=10[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xvWIzbsVeE[/youtube]
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#1428 » by ceiling raiser » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:15 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuZ4kfm-O3Y[/youtube]
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#1429 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:35 pm

GSP wrote:I dont pay attention to any female sports besides Mma when Ronda or Joanna Champion are fighting :lol:

I have a bit of a different perspective on this. I have 3 daughters including one very much into sports. So I actually like that we have some decent viewing options for female sports. My daughters really have way more interest in female athletes than male ones including even on American Ninja Warrior where they seem super enthused by the few women who are successful. I honestly believe these women are positive role models to encourage young girls to stay active in sports.

I can invest lots of time and effort into getting out there and playing with them and getting them into leagues and sitting and watching games and pointing out what's going on and that's important. But then they can watch a high school girl who comes and works with their soccer team at practive or see Kacy Catanzaro or Megan Rapinoe or Serena on TV and then they are the ones begging me to get out and play.

I also had a really good friend growing up who was a star basketball player in high school and I went to a ton of her games. I actually don't mind the level of play in women's sports. I understand its not on the same level as the men, but it can still be enjoyable imo to watch. I enjoyed the women's world cup quite a bit this summer. I don't worry that they can't do what Messi or Neymar can do, but simply enjoy watching them play at their own quite skilled level.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#1430 » by lorak » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Anyone fan of fight sports here? Because I know nothing about it, but as a kid I liked watching movies with Bruce Lee and always thought he was great fighter. But recently I've watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRzAD2hC4wo and I wonder how much truth is in that? Does Bruce would have any chance against pro boxers/MMA fighters or his legend is just another instance when movie screen doesn't show reality?
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,758

Post#1431 » by GSP » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:29 pm

lorak wrote:Anyone fan of fight sports here? Because I know nothing about it, but as a kid I liked watching movies with Bruce Lee and always thought he was great fighter. But recently I've watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRzAD2hC4wo and I wonder how much truth is in that? Does Bruce would have any chance against pro boxers/MMA fighters or his legend is just another instance when movie screen doesn't show reality?

Boxing is my favorite sport well at least in the past the era we just had (that prolly culminated in May/Pac) been pretty weak. Now its basketball, football and Mma for me.

And Bruce Lee never was involved in active competition. He was a martial artist but no proof of legit fighting ability. Alot of ppl still believe the myth but he was more an actor than a real fighter. Alot of his philosophies on fighting is what revolutionized alot of things not his actual skills/abilities. And there are vids of him kicking and punching that isnt involved in fight choreography/camera tricks and he looks like an amateur technically. He had a decent crescent kick but his other kicks were at the level of fighters at ur average gym, and his hands were terrible. He was 140-145lbs thats the weight Jose Aldo arguably the greatest, most complete fighter ever fights at. He would absolutely terrorize Lee and theres still no evidence suggesting Lee could be a ranked fighter in Mma, boxing, kickboxing etc

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c117fXy7cGE[/youtube]

Alot of his best feats, supposed amateur boxing records etcs. and other things outside of some instructional things he did there is no available footage of. There are stories of him schooling karate champions in training for point karate but still no proof just hearsay. Its like how some fans say Wilt was this great post player, had this great fadeaway and when we finally had film we realized it wasnt so good as we thought. He even gets too much credit for the idea that he started cross training and Mma. A century before that judo for one was using different styles of jiu jitsu (standing, ground, clinch). There was kungfu which had various styles, Indian martial arts thats like striking + swordfighting. So many examples but Bruce Lee was the first famous martial artist who TELEVISED his beliefs in mixing the arts and due to his popularity he has been seen by many as the "grandfather" of this when he really wasnt. The "1 inch punch" is also one of ht emost hyperbolic and misrepresented things ive seen
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#1432 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:08 pm

Quotatious wrote:

Per 36 shes at 26/11.5 with 2.5 blocks lol

She remind you of any man or a combination of two?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-lZjlLhg_g[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfV-vaD559c[/youtube]

She makes the game look easy.
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#1433 » by Quotatious » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:56 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:
Quotatious wrote:

Per 36 shes at 26/11.5 with 2.5 blocks lol

She remind you of any man or a combination of two?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-lZjlLhg_g[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfV-vaD559c[/youtube]

She makes the game look easy.

She reminds me A LOT of Durant. There are some striking similarities. Very tall, but plays on the perimeter. Similar body movement. Even the first move, the step back jumper in the first vid, is very Durant-like.

I also remember thinking that Lauren Jackson was like a female version of Dirk.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#1434 » by penbeast0 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:23 am

Shoots a lot of them just inside the 3 point line in the first vid, none in the second. . . . 1st reminded me of that magic Klay Thompson quarter there.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#1435 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:53 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:I don't know why I find the expected dispiriting the NBA owners claiming they are once again losing money really depresses me. The last two major CBA changes have both dramatically favored the owners and yet they continue to claim they are losing money. They are primarily lying and the few teams that are losing money are doing so voluntarily. If they wanted to ensure that not a single owner would be forced to lose money they could do away with the BRI guarantee. They won't ever propose this because if you removed that cap players would actually be paid more money. This is proof that NBA players are in the aggregate underpaid relative to their actual market value.

I know a majority of fans will irrationally side with the owners even though their proposals aren't even designed to improve the quality of basketball and instead are about lowering labor costs and increasing money for capital. It looks like there is a decent chance of another owner caused lockout that deprives basketball fans of North American basketball. I strongly hope that European basketball continues to develop and we reach a point when the NBA cartel will have to eliminate salary caps, drafts and other measures that shrink the talent pool and lower the quality of basketball.

I noticed in the GB the ratings were dismissed because it had no impact on the Sixers organization due to the CBA. That shows what a terrible system. Companies should be influenced by consumers abandoning the product. Instead the CBA actually punishes companies that put together a popular product and rewards companies that put out a failed product. What a disastrous economic system.

The negative incentives in this system are obvious. The individual teams, who are separate companies, have no incentive to scout the world for possible players to develop because if they find them they'll end up having to go through the draft. Bad teams do not have an incentive to improve their strategy or try radical alternatives. All in all fans get a worse product because owners have successfully fooled the public that reducing labor cost results in a higher quality workforce which is ridiculous on its face.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#1436 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:04 pm

Bullet Points of what I would want in a new CBA

- Elimination of the Players Draft
- Elimination of the Salary Cap
- Elimination of the Age Limit
- Elimination of minimum/maximum salaries
- Elimination of territorial rights

This would force teams to attempt to win which will lead to better strategies and players over the long run. It would also allows teams trapped in uncompetitive markets to move to richer cities.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#1437 » by E-Balla » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:16 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:Bullet Points of what I would want in a new CBA

- Elimination of the Players Draft

Terrible idea. How can a team in Minnesota be competitive? They will have to overpay for everyone they get.

- Elimination of the Salary Cap

And now the NBA is the MLB where only big market teams have a chance at a championship.

- Elimination of the Age Limit

I would like this.

- Elimination of minimum/maximum salaries

Maximum salaries need to go. Minimum salaries are a good thing. If teams could they would sign completely terrible players to D-League contracts and there will be less talent in the league.

- Elimination of territorial rights

??? Is it the 60s again?

Do it like the NFL. No max contracts, a hard cap, a minimum salary. More teams will be competitive.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#1438 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:31 pm

E-Balla wrote:Terrible idea. How can a team in Minnesota be competitive? They will have to overpay for everyone they get.

First, no company should be guaranteed a right to winning a team.

Minnesota, could build basketball camps in countries currently unscouted by other teams. There are 180 million people Nigeria and less than 20 play in the NBA. They could also find ways of raising new revenue or try new strategies.

If Minnesota proves incapable of generating revenue they could move to Seattle, San Jose, San Diego or any of the other larger cities without teams or move to a city with a team currently and try to take over the market.

Basically, the Timberwolves will have to behave like every other company in a competitive market.

And now the NBA is the MLB where only big market teams have a chance at a championship.

As I said in my other point big market team no longer have monopolies on their city. Another team can move into their city and try to generate revenue. Anyway more profitable teams should have an advantage in the recruitment of players.

Maximum salaries need to go. Minimum salaries are a good thing. If teams could they would sign completely terrible players to D-League contracts and there will be less talent in the league.

Why not allow the market to determine what players should be paid? These are thirty separate companies. If the NY Knicks want to have a minimum salary for players that is different than the LA Clippers let em. In the long run this will result in a more efficient marketplace.

??? Is it the 60s again?

I am referring to the fact that another NBA cannot just move to LA or NY without getting the permission of the league. Currently relocation requires the approval of the Board of Governors. I would do away with that rule. If the TWolves want to try to move to Philadelphia and attract fans let em.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#1439 » by bondom34 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:37 pm

Yep, I'm with E Balla, and tbh I don't even mind the max salary part but if it were eliminated I'd understand reasoning. The draft and cap are good, age limit can go. Honestly its pretty rare for a guy to physically be ready earlier than about 19-20.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#1440 » by PaulieWal » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:26 pm

Sp6r, those are some radical ideas and would completely change the sport. The reality is that it will never happen. The 30 owners are not going to approve of these changes and the players will never go for some of them either. While LeBron, KD, AD would like no max contracts. Guys like Kevin Love, Aldridge, and pretty much all Top 10-15 players who are not the 3 or 4 superstars will never go for that.

Overall, it benefits the players to have max salaries except for the very few legit superstars.

I am tired of the owners crying poor.

It was funny seeing Silver whining how the owners might have to give the players almost half a billion next year because they are winning this CBA as some sort of negative. It's not like they are giving the players free money. It's money that the players are owed as a part of the CBA.

What's ironic is that with the crazy TV money coming in owners are now claiming that their expenses are too high. I get that some of the teams are locked into bad local TV deals but the national TV money is going to take care a lot of those expenses.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.

Return to Player Comparisons