Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Re: Worst Person To Ever Play In The League 

Post#41 » by Johnlac1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:53 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
Yeah, on court it could be Laimbeer. He was not only a master of all the little dirty tricks out there; he was a rich white boy too. I might still go Brisker though; had an opposing coach admit he offered his players money for anyone who would go punch Brisker out to start games. That and he was a nasty black racist too. When you are talking visceral issues of hatred; race cranked both those players' sets of issues up another notch.

He was a rich, white boy? Gee whiz, that sure qualifies as a serious crime. :crazy:

(a) talking about ON COURT dislike in this post, not off court criminality like Fast Eddie, Alvin, or Jarvis
(b) If you don't think race and social status enters into like/dislike by other players (and us fans, including me) you have a naive view of the world.

Remember when Rodman and Isiah were quoted as saying that if Bird were black, no one would be calling him a star player? It mattered to his peers that Laimbeer was probably the only guy in the league that was taking a pay cut to play in the NBA (his family's business was appreciably more lucrative!)

I believe the gist of the original post is "the worst person to ever play in the league." I'm sure there have been more than a few other white players who had money when they came into the league. But for the last thirty years virtually every player in the league was an instant millionaire when they made an NBA team. That was my point.
I don't think the average fan knew much about Laimbeer's background. They just knew he was a player who was a little too dirty at times. I doubt they cared if he came from a rich family. If someone dislikes somebody because they're white and/or came from a wealthy background, maybe they have the problem and not the white player with the money.
I was more amazed that Laimbeer turned into a good NBA player, because a few of my friends and I didn't think he had a chance to even make it as a scrub. He didn't look very impressive when he played for Notre Dame. I was not a Laimbeer fan. But he proved me and a lot of other people wrong, so I'll give him that.
Salieri
Analyst
And1: 7,461

Post#42 » by Salieri » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:07 pm

I'm going with Brisker too. That man was pure evil, and the stories are bizarre as ****. I mean, as far as I know, his death circumstances are still unknown.
AgentDRL
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#43 » by AgentDRL » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Been years since I've seen it, but wasn't the player Shaq punched in his early Orlando days Alvin Robertson?
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#44 » by trex_8063 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:28 pm

Timmaytime wrote:Tyler Hansbrough

?
Not necessarily saying his name doesn't belong (I don't know the guy); I've just never heard of any despicable deeds he's guilty of. Curious why you bring him up.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#45 » by trex_8063 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:30 pm

fwiw, I've never really paid much attention to players' personal lives, scandals, or "tabloid" stuff. This thread inspired me to look these guys up on Wiki. tbh, I had no idea what awful human beings some of them (Alvin Robertson, "Fast Eddie" Johnson, etc) are.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
-Kees-
Lead Assistant
And1: 52

Post#46 » by -Kees- » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:10 pm

Spencer Haywood wasn't a bad person in the traditional sense, but he did try to plot to murder his coach...
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#47 » by JordansBulls » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Brad Sellers or Dave Corzine
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,879

Post#48 » by ronnymac2 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:45 pm

-Kees- wrote:Spencer Haywood wasn't a bad person in the traditional sense, but he did try to plot to murder his coach...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24483950/spencer-haywood-explains-how-the-idea-to-murder-his-ex-coach-came-about

Damn, I've never heard about that before. Sounds like you could make a drama, comedy, or biographical movie about his life and it'd be awesome.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,879

Post#49 » by ronnymac2 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:47 pm

JordansBulls wrote:Brad Sellers or Dave Corzine

Don't forget those co-conspirator pieces of **** Sam Vincent and Gene Banks. They tried to sabotage a man's chances of winning a title with a team that hadn't won before.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river

Return to Player Comparisons