Biggest mistake/omission on RealGM 2014 GOAT List (top 30)?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Re: Biggest mistake/omission on RealGM 2014 GOAT List (top 3 

Post#101 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:13 am

BlackIce wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:Guys in my Top 30, not included in List's Top 30:
Chris Paul, Reggie Miller, Jason Kidd

Guys in List's Top 30, not include in my Top 30:
George Mikan, John Havlicek, Walt Frazier

Guy on list who with biggest gap between my list and List's list (while still being on both):
Wilt Chamberalin, I have him much lower.

Interesting, you seem to be putting a heavy emphasis on peak which is cool. I'd take Havlicek over Miller but I see the case for Paul. Frazier vs. Kidd is a fun debate, I've always thought both are underrated historically but I think I'd give the edge to Frazier because of his ability to balance scoring in the half court with running the team. Still Kidd is one of the best transition guards to ever do it and both have cases for GOAT defender as well. In terms of their careers Kidd changed his style of play when he got older which is rare (and he did it effectively) while Frazier was a top 2 option on a championship team. Mikan is impossible for me to rank really, it's all relative to how you value era dominance and portability.

I don't know about peak vs longevity given that I'm talking up Miller & Kidd and calling Mikan, Frazier & Wilt overrated as career candidates. Would be cool if I could just chalk it up to philosophical differences, but I don't know about that.

Glad you can see some value in the thought I've put into things though.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,678

Post#102 » by penbeast0 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:22 am

VoodooPriest wrote:Duncan too high.

LeBron too high.

Magic too low.

Kobe too low.

KG too high. (WTF?)

Oscar too high.

Barkley too low.

So, some players who were poor defenders are too low and some who were pushed up based on, among other things, defensive impact are too high. At least you are consistent.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
BlackIce
Head Coach
And1: 901

Post#103 » by BlackIce » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:28 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
BlackIce wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:Guys in my Top 30, not included in List's Top 30:
Chris Paul, Reggie Miller, Jason Kidd

Guys in List's Top 30, not include in my Top 30:
George Mikan, John Havlicek, Walt Frazier

Guy on list who with biggest gap between my list and List's list (while still being on both):
Wilt Chamberalin, I have him much lower.

Interesting, you seem to be putting a heavy emphasis on peak which is cool. I'd take Havlicek over Miller but I see the case for Paul. Frazier vs. Kidd is a fun debate, I've always thought both are underrated historically but I think I'd give the edge to Frazier because of his ability to balance scoring in the half court with running the team. Still Kidd is one of the best transition guards to ever do it and both have cases for GOAT defender as well. In terms of their careers Kidd changed his style of play when he got older which is rare (and he did it effectively) while Frazier was a top 2 option on a championship team. Mikan is impossible for me to rank really, it's all relative to how you value era dominance and portability.

I don't know about peak vs longevity given that I'm talking up Miller & Kidd and calling Mikan, Frazier & Wilt overrated as career candidates. Would be cool if I could just chalk it up to philosophical differences, but I don't know about that.

Glad you can see some value in the thought I've put into things though.

I was talking about Paul, sorry I shouldn't been more clear. Paul in New Orleans was the sickest point guard I've ever seen, I remember that series against LAL and though he was the only player in the world on par with Lebron at the time. In general I'm curious why you had Kidd over Frazier though, not set in my mindset regarding them and I haven't seen a ton of Frazier outside of what's available on youtube and the like.
giordunk
Analyst
And1: 493

Post#104 » by giordunk » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:51 am

I don't get the point of arguing Mikan. How many of us were alive? It's almost like trying to argue the existence of Jesus Christ.
i like peanuts
DavidSterned
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,151

Post#105 » by DavidSterned » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:13 am

penbeast0 wrote:
DavidSterned wrote:Lots of recency bias, IMO. The three that stand out the most being

Duncan at #5 over Shaq, Magic, Bird is suspect
KG at #11 over Kobe!?
Nash at #25, and over Stockton/Frazier/Payton

How is KG over Kobe recency bias?

KG at 11th is the recency bias. The fact that he is even ranked over Kobe just shows how puzzling a ranking it actually is. He's also rather bizarrely ranked over Oscar, Karl Malone, Jerry West, Julius Erving, and a few others.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#106 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:31 am

penbeast0 wrote:

LeBron too high.

Magic too low.

Kobe too low.

KG too high. (WTF?)

Oscar too high.

Barkley too low.

So, some players who were poor defenders are too low and some who were pushed up based on, among other things, defensive impact are too high. At least you are consistent.

Who is a poor defender on this list?
Okada
Sixth Man
And1: 687

Post#107 » by Okada » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:51 am

Doctor MJ wrote:My issue with that attitude is that it's basically slapping around the people actually putting in the effort you were unwilling to do. Any time someone is essentially lazy and self-righteous at the same time, they don't really have any credibility. They've ceded their direct influence on the product in question, and lost any credence they'd have otherwise had when giving criticism of the people trying their best to do something cool.

I perfectly understand priorities in life. I'd never knock someone for not being apart of the project alone, and certainly you have a right to say where you disagree with it. It's just the attitude makes you look so small.

That's completely fair. I do have a tendency to be that way. I don't really have the time or drive to argue those things, but I'm confident in my opinions on the matter. But yeah, you're right.
SlobbaN
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#108 » by SlobbaN » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:41 am

KG and Erving way too high, Wade too low. Also no Baylor in Top30 is absurd as someone mentioned before.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#109 » by Quotatious » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:47 am

SlobbaN wrote:KG and Erving way too high

Why is Dr. J way too high? Do you only take his NBA career into account?
penbeast0
And1: 8,678

Post#110 » by penbeast0 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:36 am

Ballerhogger wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

LeBron too high.

Magic too low.

Kobe too low.

KG too high. (WTF?)

Oscar too high.

Barkley too low.

Who is a poor defender on this list?

Kobe's defense has slipped badly since his younger days (though he continues to get All-D votes for some reason) and he was never the level of defender of a Duncan, KG, or even LeBron to use his peers.

Magic was a poor man defender, decent help defender but overall below average.

Barkley was just plain manure on the defensive end. He's one of the worst big man defenders to play in the NBA -- undersized, poor instincts, and just plain didn't work at that end with consistency.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,807

Post#111 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:17 pm

giordunk wrote:I don't get the point of arguing Mikan. How many of us were alive? It's almost like trying to argue the existence of Jesus Christ.

so nothing that happened before you were born is real? Or of any relevance?

Can you expound on this maybe? Because on the surface that sounds ridiculous. And where do you draw the line? Many of the guys here college-aged. Should they not get to talk about Magic or Bird or Kareem?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#112 » by Pg81 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:10 pm

KG is too high for me personally.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Post#113 » by G35 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:
giordunk wrote:I don't get the point of arguing Mikan. How many of us were alive? It's almost like trying to argue the existence of Jesus Christ.

Can you expound on this maybe? Because on the surface that sounds ridiculous. And where do you draw the line? Many of the guys here college-aged. Should they not get to talk about Magic or Bird or Kareem?

I can see his point, from the point of view here on the PC board where it gets into the minutiae, and layer after layer after layer trying to argue the finer points of a player. The only way you can intelligently (at least for me) is if you can apply the eye test along with statistics. If you don't have the eye test to balance everything out, that's when things get skewed one way or the other......
I'm so tired of the typical......
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,807

Post#114 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:37 pm

All this thread tells me is that people just like to bitch.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BmanInBigD
Bench Warmer
And1: 537

Post#115 » by BmanInBigD » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:46 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:All this thread tells me is that people just like to bitch.

That was kind of the point of the thread, wasn't it? :D

"Biggest mistake/omission...."
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#116 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:53 am

BlackIce wrote:I was talking about Paul, sorry I shouldn't been more clear. Paul in New Orleans was the sickest point guard I've ever seen, I remember that series against LAL and though he was the only player in the world on par with Lebron at the time. In general I'm curious why you had Kidd over Frazier though, not set in my mindset regarding them and I haven't seen a ton of Frazier outside of what's available on youtube and the like.

Actually it's the longevity, which I know seems weird and shows how tough this all is.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
giordunk
Analyst
And1: 493

Post#117 » by giordunk » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:04 am

G35 wrote:
Chuck Texas wrote:

I can see his point, from the point of view here on the PC board where it gets into the minutiae, and layer after layer after layer trying to argue the finer points of a player. The only way you can intelligently (at least for me) is if you can apply the eye test along with statistics. If you don't have the eye test to balance everything out, that's when things get skewed one way or the other......

To compare George Mikan to Jesus (lol) all it really comes down to is fate in the end. The fact is all we have of George Mikan is a couple of fuzzy YouTube clips of incomplete games. Any attempt at standardizing his stats to a modern standard is really just a shot in the dark. Any other opinion is purely based on which Mikan anecdote or story you decided to read, and then at that point we're just arguing who read a better George Mikan story.

I mean discussion is good, but Mikan is so obscure that in the end I think it's best to just respect someone's opinion/ranking on Mikan because there isn't really a ground for argument. An atheist and a Christian can debate Jesus/God's existent but in the end it just comes down to a matter of faith.
i like peanuts
Louie_Ruckuz
Bench Warmer
And1: 873

Post#118 » by Louie_Ruckuz » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:38 pm

DUNCAN AT #5? LOL AND KOBE AT #13? WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I HOPE THIS IS AN EARLY APRIL FOOLS JOKE....IF NOT I WILL BE WAITING FOR ASHTON KUTCHER TO COME OUT AND SAY I'VE BEN PUNK'D BECAUSE THIS IS UNREAL.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Post#119 » by Laimbeer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:40 am

Pg81 wrote:KG is too high for me personally.

This is the real WTF moment, and no Baylor is right up there as well.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#120 » by Joao Saraiva » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:11 am

Louie_Ruckuz wrote:DUNCAN AT #5? LOL AND KOBE AT #13? WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I HOPE THIS IS AN EARLY APRIL FOOLS JOKE....IF NOT I WILL BE WAITING FOR ASHTON KUTCHER TO COME OUT AND SAY I'VE BEN PUNK'D BECAUSE THIS IS UNREAL.

So... where should Kobe ranked and what players are above him?
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan

Return to Player Comparisons