RealGM
And1: 5,809

Re: New Team: Jordan or Carmelo/KG 

Post#21 » by Joao Saraiva » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:29 pm

Colbinii wrote:
RSCD3_ wrote:
Jordan vs Erving/Ewing

I would take Double E.

Joao Saraiva wrote:EDIT: I think I need a player in the duo to be better than Kevin Garnett to take the duo over Jordan. A guy I believe can take my franchise to a championship. Someone like Dirk, Barkley instead of KG (with Stockton) or a player like Larry Bird instead of Stockton.

Where do you have KG?

What about something like KG/Ewing or KG/Dwyane Wade?

I really don't know where I have KG I don't to all time lists because I haven't watched a ton of players... but from what I've seen regularly:
Michael Jordan, LeBron, Shaq, Hakeem, Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowtiztki, Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird are, for me, clearly ahead of KG. Then with some others I have to think about it like Robinson or Ewing for example. I think I might put Wade ahead of KG too, even tough that's maybe because I value peak play a lot.

KG/Ewing sounds interesting. KG is a good mid range shooter, and Ewing was solid in the Post. On defense this is an A+ combo, that's for sure. But can they be consistent enough to win a championship? I really don't know. Their efficiency in playoff time is really low for the positions they play (we're comparing all time greats). So I think MJ still gives me a better chance of winning a championship.

About KG/Wade... I like it more. Good SG/PF combo, Wade can do a lot of the scoring, playmaking while KG is the defensive anchor, and a more than solid player at the other end. The only problem here is the health of Wade... How many years will he be healthy enough for my franchise to be in contention? Maybe 5/6 years if it is a direct correlation to what happened in his career? That doesn't sound like a lot of chances so I don't know... But it's definitely the duo I'd think taking over Jordan, who doesn't have the best longevity himself. Yes I might go with them instead of MJ.

How about you? Where does KG stand for you? Would you take these duos over MJ?
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#22 » by Boarder Patrol » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:18 am

Take the greatest ever, figure the rest out from there.

Melo/CP3 or LeBron, today?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,556

Post#23 » by Colbinii » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:07 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:How about you? Where does KG stand for you? Would you take these duos over MJ?

I would take KG/Ewing over MJ for sure, but remember I am a life time Wolves fan. That defense would be arguable the greatest ever, and I believe they cover up their offensive weaknesses quite well.

I wouldn't take KG/Wade over MJ, but it is very, very close. Wade's longevity would come into question, and KG's inability to lead a team to a consistent 1st round home advantage series would be one of the bigger factors in not choosing this duo.

KG is questionable for me. Like you, I don't have a definite list. However, KG has been my favorite player since he joined the Wolves but I don't know how to rank Dirk, KG, Barkley, Robinson, and Malone. I could see a case for any of them over each other.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
fancynapkin
Junior
And1: 310

Post#24 » by fancynapkin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:27 am

If Melo is on your team, that is what your offense is whether you like it or not.

I'll take MJ.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,112

Post#25 » by cpower » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:07 pm

melo wont make top 100 list, you want to try better with pierce/carter/tmac/drexler
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#26 » by Quotatious » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:14 pm

cpower wrote:melo wont make top 100 list

He definitely will. He was ranked 93rd in 2011, and he peaked after that (2013 and 2014), so he should be ranked clearly higher this time. Even 2012 was a decent season.

If Pierce is apparently going to be a top 45 player (maybe even top 40), Melo should IMO be top 60-65, at least.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#27 » by Laimbeer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:24 pm

Everybody needs to check themselves. Garnett is the 11th greatest player of all-time.

Return to Player Comparisons