Best redemption to a ring after facing so much adversity

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Which player overcame the most advsersity

Isiah Thomas beating bird in 88 after the fatal 87 pass and winning a ring in 89
13%
Jordan finally getting past the bad boy pistons who used to abuse him
20%
Jerry West finally winning a ring in 72 after so many attempts in the finals
20%
Tim Duncan revenge in 14 , blowing out the Heat after giving it away in 13
33%
Magic 85 beating the Celtics after losing to them in 84 and being scrutinized that off season
13%

Total votes: 15

GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Re: Best redemption to a ring after facing so much adversity 

Post#41 » by GYK » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:26 pm

Choker wrote:
GYK wrote:How so? It's the easiest way to determine who has a redemption ring.
Player lost to the Bucks in the Finals
Player later beats the Bucks in the Finals

I don't see a strain. You don't have to ask what the papers, insiders or forums were being said

It's the most obvious, but not the only form of redemption. There are other kinds.

Hmm. Ok.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#42 » by Warspite » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Choker wrote:
GYK wrote:I didn't bring up any of those things. Uh yea.

As for Dirk having the best redemption ring. The series was a dominant defensive series which isn't frequently talked about. Dirk had a GREAT playoff run but was not an all time great in the Finals. Relied on to be the scorer and focus. Terry being unstoppable and Marion checking Lebron were the keys to the Finals, not the season or the playoffs as a whole but the Finals.

Yes but the way they dominated the Heat neither was anyone else. Duncan was a go to scorer, rebounder and defender. Leonard the same although not so much go to. Splitter rim protection could had gotten DPOY of the Finals is such a thing.

The actual series doesn't have as much to do with it as the story behind it. With LeBron and Jordan, it was "they'll eventually win a ring because they're that good." With Dirk it was "he's probably going to choke again." Dirk was fixated in this outside looking in bubble for longer than any other superstar before winning their first ring. He was reaching the point where he's going to start declining soon. His window of opportunity was closing. He was going to forever be remembered for the finals loss and the worst first round series loss of all time. In 2011 he fought against every imaginable opponent possible. His demons that haunted in 2006 and 2007. History repeating itself with Roy's epic comeback. The critics said Dirk would follow trend yet again and lose, and no one would blame him for it, because it's expected of him. And then the Mavericks do the unthinkable and dominate that entire postseason. And despite that people were still predicting they would lose against the Heat.

This isn't about performance or dominance. Well to a degree it is, if Dirk was an end of the bench player I'd feel lukewarm about his redemption. But he wasn't, he was the central hub of a championship winning team.

Im sorry but I just dont see how overcoming the "Haters" who you dont play against, dont listen to, dont have any contact with is harder than overcoming Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, MJ and injuries to your teammates and self.

Its much easier to defeat the naysayers than it is to beat the GOAT teams. Everyone I know was a Dirk fan during that FInals and was pulling for him.

Even if what you say is true then how can that be compared to the Bad Boys who were the most hated team in professional sports to the point they had to change and embrace it and become the Oakland Raiders of basketball. I dont recall LBJ saying he would quit the Heat if the refs didnt help him beat Dirk like MJ did with Detroit.

Isiahs adversity

1987: The bad inbounds pass and losing Dumars and Dantley to injury in the ECF
1988: His ankle injury with a 3-2 series lead in the FInals
1989: A very bad hamstring injury limiting his play
1990: Being down in a series vs MJ and the Bulls and coming back to win the series
1991: Broken wrist which cost him most of the season and never healed.

The Pistons very well could have 5 championships and still overcame to win 2 in a row which had only been done once in a generation.

IMHO beating those teams and overcoming on the court is much more impressive than proving some fan wrong who calls up a sports talk radio station.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#43 » by Kabookalu » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:56 pm

GYK wrote:Hmm. Ok.

Gotta admit that this is the perfect response to my post lol
Read on Twitter
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#44 » by Kabookalu » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:04 pm

Warspite wrote:Im sorry but I just dont see how overcoming the "Haters" who you dont play against, dont listen to, dont have any contact with is harder than overcoming Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, MJ and injuries to your teammates and self.

Its much easier to defeat the naysayers than it is to beat the GOAT teams. Everyone I know was a Dirk fan during that FInals and was pulling for him.

Even if what you say is true then how can that be compared to the Bad Boys who were the most hated team in professional sports to the point they had to change and embrace it and become the Oakland Raiders of basketball. I dont recall LBJ saying he would quit the Heat if the refs didnt help him beat Dirk like MJ did with Detroit.

Isiahs adversity

1987: The bad inbounds pass and losing Dumars and Dantley to injury in the ECF
1988: His ankle injury with a 3-2 series lead in the FInals
1989: A very bad hamstring injury limiting his play
1990: Being down in a series vs MJ and the Bulls and coming back to win the series
1991: Broken wrist which cost him most of the season and never healed.

The Pistons very well could have 5 championships and still overcame to win 2 in a row which had only been done once in a generation.

IMHO beating those teams and overcoming on the court is much more impressive than proving some fan wrong who calls up a sports talk radio station.

He didn't have haters, he had doubters, and almost everyone was a doubter of him. There was not a non Mavericks fan that thought he could overcome his demons and failures already on the wrong side of 30. And he went out and did exactly that exceeding expectations by a wide margin.

Read on Twitter
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,464

Post#45 » by picc » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Just in terms of pressure to win, I doubt anyone has been under more pressure to succeed than Lebron was in 2012. Even I was suffocated at times during that playoff run, and I was rooting against him.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#46 » by PCProductions » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:37 pm

OP, despite what you say about Lebron and him buddying up and all of that, I can't think of a game where someone performed as well under as much pressure as Lebron in Game 6 @ Boston, 2012. So I'm going with that.

Return to Player Comparisons