Open court analytic discussion

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,473

Re: Open court analytic discussion 

Post#221 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:52 am

ElGee wrote:Great post. My favorite part of the "Nash system player" thing is that the "system" is literally the most popular system in the NBA. Teams run more PnR action than ever -- they basically copy-catted what the Suns did ITO of PnR action leading to other action, spacing and popping while reading the defense -- and Nash is the best at it. It would be like calling Shaq a "system player" for posting up or Jordan a "system player" for driving.

"Shaq...what a system player. Only good in the system where he gets the ball in the low post."

Yup great point. So much of the reason Nash's Suns were seen as a gimmick are now basically the way everyone plays, and yet people still think that "you can't win playing like they did" even as they watch teams do just that now.

My personal favorite is the fact that D'Antoni, a guy who has failed in all other NBA contexts, is used to discredit Nash when compared with players who have gotten to play for guys like Phil Jackson, Gregg Popovich, and Pat Riley. No one ever seriously knocks other superstars for playing with undeniable legends as coach, it's just not done, but with Nash there's such a feeling of desperation to find ways to discredit him people hold him to a completely different standard.

With all of this, it's just a particularly salient and aggressive form of cognitive dissonance. We may talk of other players as controversial, but Nash is the guy where people have done their best to create an entire language of criticism toward him that's entirely without basis, and that's what makes me so fascinated by him as a player we analyze.

Were I writing my "big book" of advanced basketball geekery, there would be a chapter devoted exclusively to this.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#222 » by SideshowBob » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:57 am

Doctor MJ wrote:When I write my "big book" of advanced basketball geekery, there would be a chapter devoted exclusively to this.

FTFY

I look forward to reading this.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#223 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:09 am

SideshowBob wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:When I write my "big book" of advanced basketball geekery, there would be a chapter devoted exclusively to this.

FTFY

Aw, shucks. :oops:

Appreciate the kind words Bob, and not trying to fish for compliments here, but it would take a lot of convincing for me to take undergo that endeavor. The people I know would appreciate it, are already here for the most part and don't really need me to write the book.

john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#224 » by john248 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:13 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
ElGee wrote:Great post. My favorite part of the "Nash system player" thing is that the "system" is literally the most popular system in the NBA. Teams run more PnR action than ever -- they basically copy-catted what the Suns did ITO of PnR action leading to other action, spacing and popping while reading the defense -- and Nash is the best at it. It would be like calling Shaq a "system player" for posting up or Jordan a "system player" for driving.

"Shaq...what a system player. Only good in the system where he gets the ball in the low post."

Yup great point. So much of the reason Nash's Suns were seen as a gimmick are now basically the way everyone plays, and yet people still think that "you can't win playing like they did" even as they watch teams do just that now.

My personal favorite is the fact that D'Antoni, a guy who has failed in all other NBA contexts, is used to discredit Nash when compared with players who have gotten to play for guys like Phil Jackson, Gregg Popovich, and Pat Riley. No one ever seriously knocks other superstars for playing with undeniable legends as coach, it's just not done, but with Nash there's such a feeling of desperation to find ways to discredit him people hold him to a completely different standard.

With all of this, it's just a particularly salient and aggressive form of cognitive dissonance. We may talk of other players as controversial, but Nash is the guy where people have done their best to create an entire language of criticism toward him that's entirely without basis, and that's what makes me so fascinated by him as a player we analyze.

Were I writing my "big book" of advanced basketball geekery, there would be a chapter devoted exclusively to this.

I don't even mind if MDA gets some of the credit for what Nash did; his strength as a coach is on the offensive side. I agree with you though in regards to using MDA to discredit Nash completely. He hasn't churned out other PGs into MVP caliber players. There's a talent ceiling with these players, and Nash has shown his was quite high.
The Last Word
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#225 » by PaulieWal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:14 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
SideshowBob wrote:

FTFY

Aw, shucks. :oops:

Appreciate the kind words Bob, and not trying to fish for compliments here, but it would take a lot of convincing for me to take undergo that endeavor. The people I know would appreciate it, are already here for the most part and don't really need me to write the book.

Count me in as well.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#226 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:15 am

john248 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

I don't even mind if MDA gets some of the credit for what Nash did; his strength as a coach is on the offensive side. I agree with you though in regards to using MDA to discredit Nash completely. He hasn't churned out other PGs into MVP caliber players. There's a talent ceiling with these players, and Nash has shown his was quite high.

Oh, D'Antoni deserves plenty of credit, it's the zero sum approach to player/coach analysis that's so absurd. Simply put: It's not how people normally talk about basketball players.

SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#227 » by SideshowBob » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:17 am

:lol: Yeah, realistically I guess that's a major time commitment.

We've got a pretty remarkable collective basketball knowledge database in the PC board at this point though, and it's always open to dissent (some silly and some pretty sound IMO). I suppose that is more valuable than a book.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#228 » by picc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:41 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
You've got it backward:

When you're with LeBron, a need to be on-ball is a redundancy issue. Much better to be able to thrive in an off-ball role.

I know exactly what i'm talking about. Both Kyrie and Love can thrive off-ball, because both are similarly accurate 3-point shooters. Suggestion of his inability to play without the ball is very presumptive, as he's never had the team makeup to justify using him as anything but the primary ballhandling, scoring, and passing option. Although not regular NBA games, it certainly doesn't help the argument that his ability to flourish alongside other star talent is questionable when he's won MVP honors in the majority of ensemble teams he's played on (Allstar MVP, World Cup MVP).

Additionally, the threat of Kyrie scoring isn't diminished the way a Dwyane Wade or more shooting-challenged type player might be next to Lebron, because Kyrie is a deadly shooter (59% eFG from 3, on only 54%AS) who will feast on kickouts from Lebron penetrations and likely see his overall efficiency rise quite a bit from not only that, but the decreased responsibilities and spacing for drives created by using Love on his own PnR attempts.

Speaking of Wade, the issue of on-ball redundancy* has been proven to be overblown in the past few years, and we have Lebron himself to thank for that. He and Wade were nearly identical players stylistically and skill-wise when they teamed up, and after a bumpy start, "fit" proved to be the least of their problems en route to losing the NBA finals. They'd figured out how to play with each other by the postseason, and it turns out smart, skilled players who both handle the ball can mesh a lot better than we thought - even under increased pressure. Wade's production dropped over the years, but due to age and injuries - not the presence of Lebron.

Lebron: 28/7/8 on 59%TS in '11 vs. 30/9/7 on 60%TS in '10
Wade: 26/5/6 on 58%TS in '11 vs. 27/7/5 on 56%TS in '10

In spite of their initial problems, both managed to end the season with numbers similar to the previous year. There was some change, which is to be expected when you start sharing the ball with another high usage player, but their redundancy proved to be much less of problem for them then the presence of two highly skilled, highly intelligent ballhandling players proved to be for opposing teams.

"But Wade was better than Irving is"

Of course. But the point isn't that Irving's production will match Wade's, the point is that having two high usage perimeter stars both A)Doesn't require one's production or efficiency to substantially drop, and in fact can result in the opposite, and B)Provides teams with a wing dynamic that makes it nearly impossible to effectively defend the perimeter, especially given most defenses playing against teams with single-star backcourts gameplan to take the ball out of his hands and make the "other guys" - the ones who can't dribble and chew gum - beat them.

Its happened to Lebron. Its happened to Kobe. Tmac. etc. It won't happen to the Cavs, and you can bet that's been one of Lebron's motivating factors for his decisions in 2010 and this summer.

*Also see: Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili

Hence: One can easily argue that Kyrie's ceiling as an alpha surpasses Love, but when both play on a team with another guy as alpha whose offensive role has always been the true point, Kyrie's in a much bigger danger of becoming the 3rd wheel.

Its amazing that someone can say this when we have literally gotten a blueprint for this situation for the last 4 years in the Miami Heat. Even after Wade broke down and it was arguable Bosh was the more valuable player, he still took primacy over Bosh in the offense due to their roles. Love is better than Bosh, and i'm sure he will see more opportunities to get the ball in Blatt's offense, but the reality is that he'll spend a higher percentage of his time spotting up in the corner or screening at the top of the key for James or Irving, simply because both are aggressive offensive players who will have the ball. He may get the pass and stroke a sweet jumpshot, but he will be finishing a play that the other two create.

Further, if you've watched the Cavs during the preseason, Lebron has been particularly eager to give the ball up to Kyrie and allow him to initiate the offense. And if you'll recall, my point to Pauliewal was not that Kyrie is a better offensive player than Love is, but that he will likely produce more because of their role differential. And if history is any precedent, it will hold true that:

- Even highly skilled shooting bigs will be utilized less than they are used to in the post, and more to spot up and create a more optimal environment for Lebron to score
- High usage wing stars will not necessarily see a significant decline in production, but probably will experience a jump in efficiency
- High usage wing stars that can shoot the lights out from the perimeter have even more potential to thrive in this environment. see: Kyrie Irving

And things will turn out pretty much as I predicted.

Re: Love's isos will diminish. Sure, which will mean he'll be able to focus on rebounding more, and he's among the very best in the league at that. Whereas Kyrie's diminished Isos will require him to find a new job.

Yes and no. His rebounding is stellar, and that's one of the reasons he's a better overall player than Kyrie is, but that rebounding is all but irrelevant to this conversation because its about offense only. Additionally, because Love will experience a drop in isos and post-up opportunities and will find himself floating on the perimeter more, he will less often be in the paint and thus in position to crash the offensive glass, and his numbers there may very well suffer....the way Bosh's did after joining the Heat.

Bosh: 24/11 on 59%TS in '10 vs. 19/8 on 57%TS in '11

Scoring down substantially because he played with two high usage ballhandling scorers. Rebounding down substantially (10% ORB% in 2010, 6.4% ORB% in 2011), at least partially because he was more perimeter-oriented on offense.

But...this is besides the point.

Re: Kyrie's offensive stats surpass Love's. I won't be at all surprised if Kyrie scores more than Love, but that's because Love's the guy who can take on a non-scoring role and be super-valuable. Every possession that Kyrie runs that leaves LeBron a spectator will be Kyrie adding negative value in a way that simply won't happen to Love.

I'd like to hear Lebron's response to the suggestion that sharing the ball with an allstar guard instead of pounding it himself every trip down the floor will detract from the team, instead of add a dynamic that both conserves his energy and puts more pressure on the defense. Preferably after showing him footage of this years finals, where his teams lack of another perimeter scoring/creating threat was half the reason they got blown out every game and most of the reason he looked dead tired by the 4th quarter of each.

I'm not sure if he'd answer by laughing or crying. But i'd like to see it.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#229 » by PaulieWal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:02 am

picc wrote: And if you'll recall, my point to Pauliewal was not that Kyrie is a better offensive player than Love is, but that he will likely produce more because of their role differential.

Yeah, I can see that and I admitted as much in one of my replies to Brenice but what I flat-out disagree with is that Kyrie is better than Love offensively which was my original point of contention. I could see either Love or Irving being the 3rd option or the 3 might even have a very balanced scoring load but that was never my issue. My main issue was with saying that Love isn't on Kyrie's level or that Love is the least talented offensively out of the 3.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,836

Post#230 » by Zeitgeister » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:04 am

Rebounding is not irrelevant to a conversation about offense because offensive rebounds happen. Love has shown that he can be among the best offensive rebounders in the league. He's capable of creating 4.5-5 possessions for himself.

I think you overstate how much he'll be hanging out at the three point line. Not to mention, Love has shown repeatedly that volume threes and high rebound rates are a thing he's capable of at the same time.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
picc
RealGM

Post#231 » by picc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:00 am

PaulieWal wrote:Yeah, I can see that and I admitted as much in one of my replies to Brenice but what I flat-out disagree with is that Kyrie is better than Love offensively which was my original point of contention. I could see either Love or Irving being the 3rd option or the 3 might even have a very balanced scoring load but that was never my issue. My main issue was with saying that Love isn't on Kyrie's level or that Love is the least talented offensively out of the 3.

I don't disagree. But given history of corollaries between the Cavs and Lebron's other teams, and given Kyrie's aggressiveness on offense, its much more likely Love will be the third option. At least in practice.
picc
RealGM

Post#232 » by picc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:01 am

Zeitgeister wrote:Rebounding is not irrelevant to a conversation about offense because offensive rebounds happen. Love has shown that he can be among the best offensive rebounders in the league. He's capable of creating 4.5-5 possessions for himself.

I think you overstate how much he'll be hanging out at the three point line. Not to mention, Love has shown repeatedly that volume threes and high rebound rates are a thing he's capable of at the same time.

And as I noted, there's a decent possibility his offensive rebounding will be negatively affected due to his positioning on the court changing. But we'll see, won't we?
john248
Starter

Post#233 » by john248 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:35 am

picc wrote:
Spoiler:
Doctor MJ wrote:
You've got it backward:

When you're with LeBron, a need to be on-ball is a redundancy issue. Much better to be able to thrive in an off-ball role.

I know exactly what i'm talking about. Both Kyrie and Love can thrive off-ball, because both are similarly accurate 3-point shooters. Suggestion of his inability to play without the ball is very presumptive, as he's never had the team makeup to justify using him as anything but the primary ballhandling, scoring, and passing option. Although not regular NBA games, it certainly doesn't help the argument that his ability to flourish alongside other star talent is questionable when he's won MVP honors in the majority of ensemble teams he's played on (Allstar MVP, World Cup MVP).

Additionally, the threat of Kyrie scoring isn't diminished the way a Dwyane Wade or more shooting-challenged type player might be next to Lebron, because Kyrie is a deadly shooter (59% eFG from 3, on only 54%AS) who will feast on kickouts from Lebron penetrations and likely see his overall efficiency rise quite a bit from not only that, but the decreased responsibilities and spacing for drives created by using Love on his own PnR attempts.

Speaking of Wade, the issue of on-ball redundancy* has been proven to be overblown in the past few years, and we have Lebron himself to thank for that. He and Wade were nearly identical players stylistically and skill-wise when they teamed up, and after a bumpy start, "fit" proved to be the least of their problems en route to losing the NBA finals. They'd figured out how to play with each other by the postseason, and it turns out smart, skilled players who both handle the ball can mesh a lot better than we thought - even under increased pressure. Wade's production dropped over the years, but due to age and injuries - not the presence of Lebron.

In spite of their initial problems, both managed to end the season with numbers similar to the previous year. There was some change, which is to be expected when you start sharing the ball with another high usage player, but their redundancy proved to be much less of problem for them then the presence of two highly skilled, highly intelligent ballhandling players proved to be for opposing teams.

"But Wade was better than Irving is"

Of course. But the point isn't that Irving's production will match Wade's, the point is that having two high usage perimeter stars both A)Doesn't require one's production or efficiency to substantially drop, and in fact can result in the opposite, and B)Provides teams with a wing dynamic that makes it nearly impossible to effectively defend the perimeter, especially given most defenses playing against teams with single-star backcourts gameplan to take the ball out of his hands and make the "other guys" - the ones who can't dribble and chew gum - beat them.

Its happened to Lebron. Its happened to Kobe. Tmac. etc. It won't happen to the Cavs, and you can bet that's been one of Lebron's motivating factors for his decisions in 2010 and this summer.

Hence: One can easily argue that Kyrie's ceiling as an alpha surpasses Love, but when both play on a team with another guy as alpha whose offensive role has always been the true point, Kyrie's in a much bigger danger of becoming the 3rd wheel.

Its amazing that someone can say this when we have literally gotten a blueprint for this situation for the last 4 years in the Miami Heat. Even after Wade broke down and it was arguable Bosh was the more valuable player, he still took primacy over Bosh in the offense due to their roles. Love is better than Bosh, and i'm sure he will see more opportunities to get the ball in Blatt's offense, but the reality is that he'll spend a higher percentage of his time spotting up in the corner or screening at the top of the key for James or Irving, simply because both are aggressive offensive players who will have the ball. He may get the pass and stroke a sweet jumpshot, but he will be finishing a play that the other two create.

Further, if you've watched the Cavs during the preseason, Lebron has been particularly eager to give the ball up to Kyrie and allow him to initiate the offense. And if you'll recall, my point to Pauliewal was not that Kyrie is a better offensive player than Love is, but that he will likely produce more because of their role differential. And if history is any precedent, it will hold true that:

- Even highly skilled shooting bigs will be utilized less than they are used to in the post, and more to spot up and create a more optimal environment for Lebron to score
- High usage wing stars will not necessarily see a significant decline in production, but probably will experience a jump in efficiency
- High usage wing stars that can shoot the lights out from the perimeter have even more potential to thrive in this environment. see: Kyrie Irving

Re: Love's isos will diminish. Sure, which will mean he'll be able to focus on rebounding more, and he's among the very best in the league at that. Whereas Kyrie's diminished Isos will require him to find a new job.

Yes and no. His rebounding is stellar, and that's one of the reasons he's a better overall player than Kyrie is, but that rebounding is all but irrelevant to this conversation because its about offense only. Additionally, because Love will experience a drop in isos and post-up opportunities and will find himself floating on the perimeter more, he will less often be in the paint and thus in position to crash the offensive glass, and his numbers there may very well suffer....the way Bosh's did after joining the Heat.

Scoring down substantially because he played with two high usage ballhandling scorers. Rebounding down substantially (10% ORB% in 2010, 6.4% ORB% in 2011), at least partially because he was more perimeter-oriented on offense.

Re: Kyrie's offensive stats surpass Love's. I won't be at all surprised if Kyrie scores more than Love, but that's because Love's the guy who can take on a non-scoring role and be super-valuable. Every possession that Kyrie runs that leaves LeBron a spectator will be Kyrie adding negative value in a way that simply won't happen to Love.

I'd like to hear Lebron's response to the suggestion that sharing the ball with an allstar guard instead of pounding it himself every trip down the floor will detract from the team, instead of add a dynamic that both conserves his energy and puts more pressure on the defense. Preferably after showing him footage of this years finals, where his teams lack of another perimeter scoring/creating threat was half the reason they got blown out every game and most of the reason he looked dead tired by the 4th quarter of each.

What you're saying isn't exactly true though. Wade developed into a good off-ball player during the time him and LeBron shared the court. He and the Heat had to find new ways for him to score which really meant utilizing his finishing ability. So after that 1st season together, we saw more plays where Wade would come up after a pin down near the elbow to drive in to the basket or hit a 15 footer. Also saw dribble penetration from LeBron while Wade cut in to again, take advantage of either player's finishing ability. Keep in mind that Wade is no 3 point shooter and no off-ball action/plays were called for him in this fashion. Off-ball movement isn't simply 3 point shooting as you're alluding to. Wade was a cutter and running off screens to either finish or take a mid range jumper. Were there times he had the ball in his hands? Of course. He's one of the best in this regard, so he's had plenty of time with the ball. James deserved it more, so Wade adjusted his game accordingly.

There is no given in regards to Irving's off-ball play. Finishes at 58% at the rim though Wade is almost 70%. Getting back on track, it's easier to simply just look at Irving and note his playing style. His jumpers anywhere from the floor, though mostly long 2s and 3s, are pull-ups. Irving is not a pure shooter in any sense. I know you mentioned his 3 point contest, but that means absolutely nothing here. Are there times someone else creates or has to pass to him to shoot? Sure, but he's not really all that good at it even if he won a contest where he's picking up basketballs and shooting it with a timer. So in regards to this off-ball shooting, SportsVU has that on catch and shoots, Kyrie was at 35.6% overall and 32.1% for 3's. Keep in mind, he was 35.8% overall from 3. So this could mean spotting up or running around off-ball to receive then shoot. His spot up percentages are 38% overall and 33% from 3...again, was 35.8% from 3. On pull-up 3s, Kyrie was 40.9% which as we can now see, there's a huge gulf between how he is with the ball and without. This could be a mechanical issue or this could be how comfortable he is with a catch and shoot.

So no, the issue of on-ball redundancy isn't overblown because we've seen both the Heat and Wade adjust. Part of this is also staggering their minutes which I also expect the Cavs to do with Irving and LeBron. Also simply saying "see Parker and Ginobili" isn't saying much. While both are able to initiate the offense the same way Irving and LBJ would, Irving is unproven as an off-ball player. And the stats I've shown above with him in that off-ball role is an indicator that Irving may very well struggle in this area. This also does a disservice to both Parker and Ginobili as to how good they are as off-ball players and why that Spurs offense is good to begin with where both are very good at what they do. Spurs run a lot of plays where either player will run high or low zipper cuts which puts a lot of pressure on defenses mainly because they are both good off-ball shooters and can receive the ball then penetrate.

I've mentioned in a post in this thread that I think Kyrie will get 18 or so points and Love at 20. Kyrie will benefit from the decreased volume to get his percentages up. This was a problem over the years. At less volume and less focus on him, he'll get his opportunities.

One thing I'm excited to see from Love, as a side note, will be his outlet passes to LBJ and Kyrie.

http://www.fearthesword.com/2014/7/26/5 ... -cavaliers
The Last Word
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#234 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:36 am

picc wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
You've got it backward:

I didn't say he couldn't play without the ball, but it's a question of maxing out his skills. There isn't a soul alive who thought before the LeBron decision, "Y'know where Kyrie would be better? Off ball". You simply don't ever want to do that with a player like Kyrie if you can help it. It's taking away a significant aspect of his competitive advantage.

By contrast, the notion of having Love focus once again more on rebounding and his off-ball instincts is something people have wondered if he should do anyway, and the main reason it wasn't an option was simply because he had no teammates who could seriously score.

It's really as simple as that. Irving can be great with LeBron, but the redundancy concerns with him and LeBron are bigger than they are with Love & LeBron because Kyrie & LeBron played a more similar role before.

Re: Better shooter than Wade. I quite agree. He won't be hit as hard by the redundancy issue as Wade was.

Re: Redundancy issue not as big as thought with Wade. There's some truth in that, but the reason I chimed in in the first place is that you stated that Irving would do better than Love with LeBron even though you weren't sure he was the better player. In other words: You started talking about redundancy, and that's the only reason why we're still talking about it, so it doesn't make sense for you to talk as if it's not an issue now.

picc wrote:"But Wade was better than Irving is"

Again I'm not really looking to knock Kyrie, but if you think LeBron went to Cleveland because he thought what he really needed as a teammate was a point guard, you're wrong. LeBron respects Kyrie and thinks he can make it work, but Love is in Cleveland because LeBron, Love, and others thought the fit was great.

picc wrote:

So, I quite agree that eventual success of the Heat offense will weight heavily on the Cavs going forward and that it's a major reason to be optimistic, but you're off-base when you show LeBron/Wade's '11 numbers as if it's proof that there was no redundancy. All that showed is that if you let two stars take turns, they can still both rack up huge numbers. It was a dumb way to play.

When the Heat really had their groove going, even when Wade was healthy, LeBron/Wade were seeing their volume decrease.

When you speak of LeBron being eager to give the ball to Kyrie: I would suggest that that's not something to be excited about. It would be if, say, Kobe were doing that, because it might signal an attitude improvement. LeBron though needs no such improvement. He's deferring to Kyrie right now because he's trying to forge a relationship with the kid and avoid what could become quite antagonistic.

Put another way: The Cavs won't reach their potential as an offense until it no longer feels like LeBron is letting someone else take primacy over him. When the offense is truly humming, everyone plays around LeBron, always, because he's vastly more talented then anyone else. Kyrie needs to find his sidekick niche, but LeBron's smart enough to know that will take time, and he's patient.

So yeah, I could see stats this year where Kyrie's scoring volume goes up significantly, but this won't necessarily feel like something "right" that's happening. With a team that has LeBron, Kyrie, and Love, there should be no need or wish to allow scoring to be concentrated in the hands of two guys. Balance should be sought, with the one frequent exception to the rule being the guy who is by far the best player.

picc wrote:

So, you don't consider rebounding to be a part of offense? Okay, that explains some things. I would agree that if you don't include that part of the game Irving's offensive impact will surpass Love's...but of course the nature of the game is that that means that Love will be playing "not offense" oftentimes while Irving keeps playing offense.

Re: Bosh's rebounding going down. Remember that the Heat played smallball, which meant the rebounding sucked, and LeBron played a lot of PF. LeBron wanted Love, and slimmed down, precisely because he was looking for something different.

I think you're falling too in love with a notion of one the offensive scheme requires. The scheme will be formalized and continue to be refined based on the 3 star talents the team has, and when you've got arguably the most capable rebounder in the world and two other guys on the team capable of volume scoring, it would be foolish to not max out what he can give you in rebounding impact.

I think it's important to understand another facet of what you're already alluding to: Just as Kyrie's a better fit with LeBron than Wade, Love's a better fit with LeBron/Irving than Bosh was with LeBron/Wade. The goal of the Cavs should be an offense considerably stronger than the Heat ever were.

picc wrote:

Good lord: Where on earth do you get the impression that I'm saying Kyrie will make things worse? "Redundancy" means that each guy has to sacrifice a little bit. That's all. Kyrie has his biggest impact with the ball in his hands. So does LeBron. There's only one ball. They can do great things together, but you can't just add their shots together like they don't affect each other.

G35
RealGM
And1: 7,750

Post#235 » by G35 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:10 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Okay so first, I'm spoilering a bunch of stuff because you made a very thorough post - which is great - but before I respond to any details, I have to cut to the quick hard:

Fundamentally what you have to understand is that not same these statements about "system" for any reason other than the fact that I know, without any question, what the definition of a system player is, and other people are using it wrong. I don't care who they are. They are wrong if they disagree with me.

I understand that leaves me open to statements like "my god, the arrogance on that guy!", but understand that this is not something I typically say in discussions. There's a very, very specific issue here, and quite frankly were I in grad school in this realm I could right a masters thesis on it and it alone because I watched the problem continue and build for a decade now.

Fundamentally the issue is this:

"snake oil" is oil from snakes
"baby oil" is NOT oil from babies

"baby oil" could have been defined to be oil from babies, but the phrase was defined to mean something else and once that occurs there's no going back.

So it is with "system quarterback", and hence it's derivative "system player". The term could have been defined as any of a wide variety different things.

A quarterback who only thrives in a particular system? Sure.
A quarterback who requires a well organized coach in order to be settled? Sure.
A quarterback who has a particular "system" for mastering a playbook? Sure.
A quarterback who has a particular system for leading an offense? Sure.
A quarterback who has a particular system for checking through all options during a play? Sure.
A quarterback specifically adept at using the complexities of a 22-man sport to systematically mess with a defense on any given play? Sure.
A quarterback who is so dangerous it's like he's got his own solar system around which everything else happens? Sure.
A quarterback who makes things so clear and straight forward that his teammates always know where to be and what to expect? Sure.
A quarterback who is a company man and thus is more part of the managerial system than he is a player? Sure.
A quarterback who can't help but try a pet move every game, and thus has to "get it out of his system"? Sure.

Any of these terms could be used, but the term came into existence to describe a particular phenomenon, and once that happens none of the other ones are right.

And to be clear, this is unusual in linguistics. Typically there's a tendency to say "if the people are using it a certain way, then pragmatically, that is a correct meaning", but I would argue that there's a clear exception when misunderstanding and misuse of the term results is contradictions and misconceptions.

The other part of the problem is that the actual meaning of the term, when given in a pithy definition, is ambiguous.

That first definition, "only succeeds in a certain system", isn't something that people would have corrected back in the day, because in the context in which it was applied, it still conveyed what it needed to convey. The problem as I see it has much to do with the things getting out of alignment with the move over to another sport.

In football, no one would ever call Peyton Manning a system quarterback, but consider: He's a guy who forces his offensive line to protect him in the pocket, and absolutely insists on a certain playbook with full autonomy to call plays and audibles at the line of scrimmage in order for him to max out his impact. He's not a running quarterback. He's diminished if forced to be in a controlling coaches scheme. He's diminished if the team decides to run the ball a ton. He's diminished if he's just asked to "game manage".

All of these things have analogies to basketball, and you can draw a straight line from Manning to Nash with them. So how the heck can one be a system player and the other not be?

There's no way they can be without the term contradicting itself and it losing all meaning, and that's why I can call people flat out wrong when they disagree with me here.

The only definition that makes any kind of sense in football is: "The guy who isn't as good as his individual numbers say, because the system in place can make lots of guys put up those numbers, and hence the true irreplaceability of the player in question is much less than you'd otherwise think." THAT is why you don't draft a system quarterback.

And that's also why I insist so much on the definition being properly used. Because people use "system player" not simply as a descriptor of Nash but as a criticism. They think it's a reason to dismiss what he's doing as bankrupt, because "system quarterback" quite literally means "avoid this guy like the plague, he is NOT the reason why his team is doing well", and people apply that connotation to some degree when they carry it over to other places.

If I actually heard people say things like: "Oh Nash was clearly the MVP of the league, and it clearly shows that more teams should be looking at letting system players define their teams.", I would be bemused but I wouldn't make a thing of it. But the extreme negativity of the original term is what drives the usage of it, not the other way around. People use it to criticize and demean, and if they are going to do that, well, they better be using the term correctly...and of course, the fact they use it with Nash means they aren't.

-----------------------------------

Okay now, here's what's funny.

Literally none of the quotes you give here criticize Nash as a system player. They use the word "system". That is all.

You say I have a problem with the word system, not at all. Them using that word in all of these quotes is completely fine. The problem is folks like you and Barkley conflating that with Nash being a "system player". That's the line that can't be connected because baby oil is not made of babies, and in this particular case it means guys like Barkley connect all sorts of negative baggage to Nash based on this false connection.

Re: Warren Moon system player like Ware/Klingler. Yes a little, but mostly no.

Yes, because Moon's numbers are a little inflated.

No, because Ware/Klingler didn't fail in the NFL because teams refused to do the run & shoot - Ware was drafted on to a team running it - they failed because they weren't NFL level talents. They could put up big numbers in college with it, while playing against mediocre competition even by college standards - but that didn't translate to anything more.

And this is also part of the issue: System quarterback was a term made up by NFL people to describe prospects playing in college. It was a way of saying "this guy can't hack it on the next level". The term never caught on to describe a guy scoring 35 PPG at a D3 college basketball program, but that would have been the most reasonably analogue. Only a bizarre game of telephone made it so people ended up applying to try to dismiss a guy who was leading an elite NBA team.

Of course there's a bit more to what drove that bizarre game. The "system player" criticism wasn't pushed into basketball where it found Nash, it was pulled in precisely because people were looking for ways to dismiss him. And this is how we get the irony of him being literally the opposite of a system player. People looking to criticize Nash, in part because he didn't put up huge individual stats, grabbed on to this term to try to put their feelings about how overrated he was into something that felt already legitimized. It is the combination of them already being fundamentally misguided in basketball combined with their inability to understand the football term that led to this unique backward meme spreading.

I appreciate your response and I do agree with much of what you had to say.

Your point about Manning and people not labeling Manning as a system QB is true, and I disagree with that. I completely agree that Manning has to play a certain way and it actually gets on my nerves when I hear radio talk show hosts and analysts talk about "Mannings leadership of the offensive line and WR's in practice etc etc". He does that because he needs his support to play a certain way to be effective, he is not directing them to their strengths but in fact he is directing him to play towards his own. I have made the comparison of Manning to Nash several times and imo they have many similarities in how they manage a game.

As much as I criticize Nash I do love the way he is always encouraging his teammates, always patting them on the back, clapping and I see Manning do the same thing trying to get his teammates confidence up, building rapport, chemistry.

On the other hand they have the same weaknesses, when things are going well for the Bronco's Manning looks unstoppable, the Bronco's look like the best team in the league history. However, look at the Super Bowl and when momentum is not on his side, when Manning has to turn the tide at crucial moments he has fallen short, you see Manning on the sideline and he has this puzzled look on his face like, "Doesn't the defense know I'm Peyton Manning? They should be rolling over by now." If you get pressure on Manning he does not know how to handle it. It's hard for Manning to switch his style of play, I honestly do not know if Manning would do well if he had the Dallas offensive line where they were built to run the ball and control the clock. I think he would try to do too much.

It's the same feeling I get with Nash, when I say Nash is a system player it's not necessarily a criticism, it's a fact. However, when I say system player I think most successful players were part of a system. Jordan did not achieve his greatest team success until he was part of a system. Kobe/Shaq were better in a system. Hakeem was better under Tomjanovich's system. It does not have to be a system that has a name or label to it, but it's a structured environment or developed game plan. I honestly do not understand why you bristle at the fact a coach would come in and install a "system". There has to be some sort of guidance, even if there is a lot of freedom for players to deviate from the system.

I also think you take a phrase too literally when you want to be ambiguous about the word system. I doubt anyone is saying Nash can only succeed within a certain system. Nash was successful in Dallas, an all star level player. However, he was never thought of as an MVP candidate, or even a top 10 PG all time like he is thought of now. Nash could be successful in a variety of systems or team situations. The point many are making is there are very few systems or situations where Nash would be a MVP candidate. That situation presented itself in Phoenix with D'Antoni's SSOL system. Nash was never thought of as a player you build around but more of a complementary/supportive piece. I mean if it was 2005 and every player magically became a free agent and there was a draft to build each team all over again do you seriously think Nash would have been one of the top 20 players picked? Doubtful you are going to make a PG that is 30 years old your building block.

Nash is a player you ADD to a certain group of players that you feel need a PG to finish the mix. Exactly the way it happened; the Suns had a great young big in Amare, a great all around swingman in Marion and a young up and comer in Joe Johnson. That group of players would have been a good team without Nash, around 45+ wins. Adding Nash WITHOUT D'Antoni and I think they are are a 50 win team. WITH D'Antoni's system and they won 62 games. Nash didn't come up with the system, he bought into the system and it evolved into SSOL. Mike D saw what he had, that Nash was bright enough, intuitive enough to see Amare was an elite pick and roll player, that Marion was going to be his cleanup man, and then surrounding them with a ton of shooters that was a perfect mix.

It's not just the system, it's the talent the Suns had also. Picc said something earlier that I really agree with, is how do you judge players if each player is not subject to the exact same circumstances? You can't, it's illogical to compare players in completely different situations and eras. Nash can run his system all day long but if he tried to run that style of offense in Minnesota it would not work. Period.

Put Nash on the 2010 Kings and see if Nash isn't a system player under Paul Westphal and this lineup:

PG Nash
SG Tyreke Evans
SF Omri Cassipi
PF Jason Thompson
C Spencer Hawes

I'd like to see Nash pick and roll with Spencer Hawes ten times a game and see the finishing percentage. We never saw Nash have to carry a team as the best player (not most valuable) on a team. Because then you see when a player has to carry a team on offense and defense; when the system isn't working because the lack of talent and you have to deviate from the system to get baskets. I believe Nash is dependent on elite supporting talent and a system to get the most out of his own talent.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
picc
RealGM

Post#236 » by picc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:32 am

john248 wrote:What you're saying isn't exactly true though. Wade developed into a good off-ball player during the time him and LeBron shared the court. He and the Heat had to find new ways for him to score which really meant utilizing his finishing ability. So after that 1st season together, we saw more plays where Wade would come up after a pin down near the elbow to drive in to the basket or hit a 15 footer. Also saw dribble penetration from LeBron while Wade cut in to again, take advantage of either player's finishing ability. Keep in mind that Wade is no 3 point shooter and no off-ball action/plays were called for him in this fashion. Off-ball movement isn't simply 3 point shooting as you're alluding to. Wade was a cutter and running off screens to either finish or take a mid range jumper. Were there times he had the ball in his hands? Of course. He's one of the best in this regard, so he's had plenty of time with the ball. James deserved it more, so Wade adjusted his game accordingly.

He did. But few expected him to. The two of them developed a very nice two-man game using their ballhandling, slashing and passing skills. Everyone expected them to pretty much "take turns", and as it turns out they found a way to create a synergy that didn't rely on one of them spotting up to shoot.

I think your point of Wade adapting to playing with James is valid, and does more to help my position than invalidate it. The same criticisms being levied at Kyrie's "redundancy" pale in comparison to the concerns people had about Wade, and aside from Kyrie's better shooting ability, I think it would be fair to grant Kyrie enough credit to assume he will, similarly, adapt to optimize his particular talents to playing with Lebron.

Not only that, but Lebron's experience with playing alongside another skilled ballhandler will likely see him being able to not only put himself in better position to take advantage of Kyrie breaking down the defense, but to offer him advice on how to do the same.

I don't think you're giving either player enough credit, as much as you think i'm giving them too much. But it'll be fun watching to see what happens, won't it?

There is no given in regards to Irving's off-ball play. Finishes at 58% at the rim though Wade is almost 70%. Getting back on track, it's easier to simply just look at Irving and note his playing style. His jumpers anywhere from the floor, though mostly long 2s and 3s, are pull-ups. Irving is not a pure shooter in any sense. I know you mentioned his 3 point contest, but that means absolutely nothing here. Are there times someone else creates or has to pass to him to shoot? Sure, but he's not really all that good at it even if he won a contest where he's picking up basketballs and shooting it with a timer. So in regards to this off-ball shooting, SportsVU has that on catch and shoots, Kyrie was at 35.6% overall and 32.1% for 3's. Keep in mind, he was 35.8% overall from 3. So this could mean spotting up or running around off-ball to receive then shoot. His spot up percentages are 38% overall and 33% from 3...again, was 35.8% from 3. On pull-up 3s, Kyrie was 40.9% which as we can now see, there's a huge gulf between how he is with the ball and without. This could be a mechanical issue or this could be how comfortable he is with a catch and shoot.

Good point, but the article you linked to made a point of analyzing why there might be a difference, and pinpointed two things. One was:

"If he is squared up, he is much more likely to hit his shots, which is pretty intuitive, but more often than not he wasn't set because of a bad pass or an attempt of a rushed shot."

Which passes the logic test, since as the Cavs primary ballhandler it stands to reason many of his "spot-up" attempts would be rushed bail-out shots at the end of the shot clock. With Lebron and Love, it also stands to reason that he'll see an increase in spot-up attempts within the normal confines of the clock, with more time to measure the shot.

And the other was the difference in his shooting mechanics in the two scenarios. I'd be very surprised if that didn't improve given his natural shooting ability and the emphasis Cleveland's coaching staff will place on the roster practicing catching and shooting, considering pretty much everyone's volume on that particular shot will increase going forward.

When Trevor Ariza came to the Lakers, the coaching staff + Bryant were able to turn him into a decent long distance bomber with nothing but practice. If Shawn Marion can post a 38% eFG on catch and shoot 3's with terrible shot mechanics because he's worked at it, its reasonable to believe Irving can see a marked increase this year.

And we've only talked about Kyrie. Lebron is deadly from 3, spotting up and off the dribble. He's going to eat off Irving's dribble penetration too.

*I get your point about rim finishing. But consider that Kyrie's % at the rim(actually 60% for his career) comes at a 24% AST rate. Wade's high-60's finishing rate is better, but since Lebron joined the Heat he's been assisted on over twice as many baskets near the rim (49% AST), a large improvement from an average of around 32% AST pre-Lebron.

Its reasonable to assume Kyrie will also see a lift in rim FG% through Lebron's presence, and even if its not at quite the same rate as Wade, it will help.

So no, the issue of on-ball redundancy isn't overblown because we've seen both the Heat and Wade adjust. Part of this is also staggering their minutes which I also expect the Cavs to do with Irving and LeBron. Also simply saying "see Parker and Ginobili" isn't saying much. While both are able to initiate the offense the same way Irving and LBJ would, Irving is unproven as an off-ball player. And the stats I've shown above with him in that off-ball role is an indicator that Irving may very well struggle in this area. This also does a disservice to both Parker and Ginobili as to how good they are as off-ball players and why that Spurs offense is good to begin with where both are very good at what they do. Spurs run a lot of plays where either player will run high or low zipper cuts which puts a lot of pressure on defenses mainly because they are both good off-ball shooters and can receive the ball then penetrate.

*Disclaimer: Rant only somewhat directed at you

The word "redundancy" itself has taken on a connotation that is much more negative than it fundamentally demands. Both Lebron and Kyrie can handle the ball, pass, score, and shoot. 100% of NBA teams, if asked, would approve of their secondary backcourt players improving in each of those areas, and yet we're talking about it as if having more options on the perimeter is a bad thing. If Kyrie is replaced with a knockdown catch-and-shooter in the Damon Jones archetype, the redundancy issue is dissolved entirely, and yet the team would be far worse for it.

Any guard who handles the ball is going to pose at least some redundancy issue with Lebron, or any other high usage wing. My question is: so what?

In terms of problems teams would like to have, two star wing creators is much higher up the list than complementary but limited role player. Even if their production is affected by the others presence - and it will be, probably both good and bad - the tradeoffs in creating a more dynamic offense and eliminating the classic pitfall of having only one player capable of running the team are enormous.

Your comments about Irving being an unproven off-ball player are fine, but that's exactly the same thing people said about Wade. And yes, I acknowledge your comments about his adaptation to the offense but all that came after the fact. Unproven only means unknown, not confirmed.

re: Parker/Gino

As for Parker/Ginobili, Parker actually is not an impactful off-ball player. Even at 40%, his 1.5 total catch and shoot attempts per game are unconvincing of that title. The vast majority of his influence in-game is with the ball, as is Manu's, and my point is that, even with Parker as a weak outside shooter, their success is more evidence that redundancy can easily prove to be an asset instead of a liability when the players possess well-rounded skillsets and/or a modicum of basketball intelligence.

The Spurs run a motion offense, but there's a reason people were remarking that they've never seen this kind of basketball before the finals. Through the years, most of their sets have consisted of Tony or Manu dribbling, probing and attacking - the same things Lebron and Kyrie will be doing - with little visible detriment to each other. Anything is possible, so the Cavs could prove a disaster, but given history, the two players' skillsets, Lebron's experience, and the coaching emphasis on player motion....much more likely its a stunning success and at least one of them has a career year.

I'm betting it will be Irving. Fun to find out.

I've mentioned in a post in this thread that I think Kyrie will get 18 or so points and Love at 20. Kyrie will benefit from the decreased volume to get his percentages up. This was a problem over the years. At less volume and less focus on him, he'll get his opportunities.

If you're anticipating Kyrie getting 18ppg with higher efficiency - which doesn't sound crazy to me, for what its worth - what are we arguing about? If that's the extent of the redundancy issues he has with Lebron, who will get his own numbers regardless, seems like the Cavs have little to worry about.

What I don't see is Love reaching 20ppg. Not only from his diminished role, but because his minutes will probably be cut as a result of the Cavs lineup depth and the fact they'll be blowing teams out.

One thing I'm excited to see from Love, as a side note, will be his outlet passes to LBJ and Kyrie.

Full court alleyoop, anyone?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#237 » by bondom34 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:59 am

I don't know what this thread has become, but I can't wait for Doc's book, and its been a great read.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#238 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:10 am

G35 wrote:
I appreciate your response and I do agree with much of what you had to say.

Your point about Manning and people not labeling Manning as a system QB is true, and I disagree with that. I completely agree that Manning has to play a certain way and it actually gets on my nerves when I hear radio talk show hosts and analysts talk about "Mannings leadership of the offensive line and WR's in practice etc etc". He does that because he needs his support to play a certain way to be effective, he is not directing them to their strengths but in fact he is directing him to play towards his own. I have made the comparison of Manning to Nash several times and imo they have many similarities in how they manage a game.

As much as I criticize Nash I do love the way he is always encouraging his teammates, always patting them on the back, clapping and I see Manning do the same thing trying to get his teammates confidence up, building rapport, chemistry.

On the other hand they have the same weaknesses, when things are going well for the Bronco's Manning looks unstoppable, the Bronco's look like the best team in the league history. However, look at the Super Bowl and when momentum is not on his side, when Manning has to turn the tide at crucial moments he has fallen short, you see Manning on the sideline and he has this puzzled look on his face like, "Doesn't the defense know I'm Peyton Manning? They should be rolling over by now." If you get pressure on Manning he does not know how to handle it. It's hard for Manning to switch his style of play, I honestly do not know if Manning would do well if he had the Dallas offensive line where they were built to run the ball and control the clock. I think he would try to do too much.

It's the same feeling I get with Nash, when I say Nash is a system player it's not necessarily a criticism, it's a fact.

I appreciate your tone, and you finding things we can agree on. I appreciate that you're trying to make clear that what you've been meaning isn't as negative as I thought.

But you can't say "when I say system player I mean it as a fact" when you're literally using a term that means something else. Get another term man. Simple as that.

If you are talking with some other group of people who doesn't know what that phrase actually means, and you think that phrase will help get your point across, fine. But you're here right now talking to me, and I've told you what the word means. I've gone deep into the history, traverse multiple sports, etc. There's never been anything that resembles any kind of rebuttal from you except "well other people use it this way", to which I've elaborated upon why that's not a good excuse.

Get another term.

You may say: I don't want to invent something new that people have never heard before. Oh well, then I guess you'll have to settle for just elaborating in enough detail that everyone knows what you mean.

With all that said, it's not like the proper vocabulary is entirely absent on the forum. I mean what you're essentially saying is that Nash lacks versatility and that his effectiveness is more dependent on his primacy than you'd prefer. Or even more succinct: His game is ball dominant.

G35 wrote:
I also think you take a phrase too literally when you want to be ambiguous about the word system. I doubt anyone is saying Nash can only succeed within a certain system. Nash was successful in Dallas, an all star level player. However, he was never thought of as an MVP candidate, or even a top 10 PG all time like he is thought of now. Nash could be successful in a variety of systems or team situations. The point many are making is there are very few systems or situations where Nash would be a MVP candidate. That situation presented itself in Phoenix with D'Antoni's SSOL system. Nash was never thought of as a player you build around but more of a complementary/supportive piece. I mean if it was 2005 and every player magically became a free agent and there was a draft to build each team all over again do you seriously think Nash would have been one of the top 20 players picked? Doubtful you are going to make a PG that is 30 years old your building block.

Nash is a player you ADD to a certain group of players that you feel need a PG to finish the mix. Exactly the way it happened; the Suns had a great young big in Amare, a great all around swingman in Marion and a young up and comer in Joe Johnson. That group of players would have been a good team without Nash, around 45+ wins. Adding Nash WITHOUT D'Antoni and I think they are are a 50 win team. WITH D'Antoni's system and they won 62 games. Nash didn't come up with the system, he bought into the system and it evolved into SSOL. Mike D saw what he had, that Nash was bright enough, intuitive enough to see Amare was an elite pick and roll player, that Marion was going to be his cleanup man, and then surrounding them with a ton of shooters that was a perfect mix.

I can't agree with your assessment about some kind of chronological necessity. There's no reason at all you can't start with Nash and build around him. i mean hell, there was turnover like crazy while Nash was in Phoenix, yet he kept being super-valuable until the last. The fact that at one point they added him by free agency doesn't mean it makes sense to keep seeing him as an addition years later. And heck, even 1 year later he was one of only 2 returning starters.

The fact that you can do things to get in the way of building around Nash doesn't change the fact you can build around him, and quite frankly it's pretty straight forward how to build around him.

G35 wrote:It's not just the system, it's the talent the Suns had also. Picc said something earlier that I really agree with, is how do you judge players if each player is not subject to the exact same circumstances? You can't, it's illogical to compare players in completely different situations and eras. Nash can run his system all day long but if he tried to run that style of offense in Minnesota it would not work. Period.

Put Nash on the 2010 Kings and see if Nash isn't a system player under Paul Westphal and this lineup:

PG Nash
SG Tyreke Evans
SF Omri Cassipi
PF Jason Thompson
C Spencer Hawes

I'd like to see Nash pick and roll with Spencer Hawes ten times a game and see the finishing percentage. We never saw Nash have to carry a team as the best player (not most valuable) on a team. Because then you see when a player has to carry a team on offense and defense; when the system isn't working because the lack of talent and you have to deviate from the system to get baskets. I believe Nash is dependent on elite supporting talent and a system to get the most out of his own talent.....

When you make statements like "best player" contrasting it from most valuable, you're starting from something that people are going to disagree with.

How good you are as a player is based on your capacity to provide value. Nash was more valuable in his best years at Phoenix than Amare, Marion, Johnson, Richardson, etc ever were by a significant margin. That makes him the better player.

Even if we went with something more straight forward, like a naive interpretation where the lead scorer is the best player - something you're not saying, but you seem to be implying - Nash put up huge numbers at crunch time. Nash was the one dictating everything with that offense. That's what your supposed to be having your best player do.

Re: Put Nash with... I mean we can imagine scenarios where his strengths wouldn't be as valuable, but why is that important exactly? I'm not saying it's entirely unimportant, but the central takeaway of the past decade in basketball is that it's really, really easy to find guys who can hit open 3's, so asking a question like "yeah, but how would he do on a team where he had to play with a zero guard who can't shoot?" is just weird. It's like asking how Peyton Manning would do if he had to play with Tom Brady and Drew Brees as his wide receivers. Spoiler: Not well.

picc
RealGM

Post#239 » by picc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:45 am

Doctor MJ wrote:I didn't say he couldn't play without the ball, but it's a question of maxing out his skills. There isn't a soul alive who thought before the LeBron decision, "Y'know where Kyrie would be better? Off ball". You simply don't ever want to do that with a player like Kyrie if you can help it. It's taking away a significant aspect of his competitive advantage.

As I stated above, there is a redundancy but the benefits from playing with another all-star caliber, well-rounded wing will, if history is any precedent, neutralize the debits. Maximizing your skills sounds great, but its a phenomena that usually happens on bad teams where the team experiences over-reliance on the star.

I know what you're getting at. And there is indeed less redundancy with a player who occupies another space on the floor (ie. a big and a wing) - that was never the contention of this argument. What i'm trying to communicate is that (1) redundancy with players possessing dynamic skillsets can be extremely useful, and (2) its not necessarily true that even two high usage players will spend a detrimental amount of time "off-ball", and its entirely possible that both will produce near enough their normal average.

What's more likely is that a third player who needs to be given the ball will see a dramatic increase in usage and/or production. And that player will probably be Kevin Love.

It's really as simple as that. Irving can be great with LeBron, but the redundancy concerns with him and LeBron are bigger than they are with Love & LeBron because Kyrie & LeBron played a more similar role before.

I have no argument with that. But I don't see what it has to do with my statement that, in partial due to this very redundancy, Kevin Love will probably be a less utilized offensive player. Even if by virtue of default due to Kyrie's ball primacy.

Re: Redundancy issue not as big as thought with Wade. There's some truth in that, but the reason I chimed in in the first place is that you stated that Irving would do better than Love with LeBron even though you weren't sure he was the better player. In other words: You started talking about redundancy, and that's the only reason why we're still talking about it, so it doesn't make sense for you to talk as if it's not an issue now.

Correction - you began the discussion about redundancy in your reply to me.

"When you're with LeBron, a need to be on-ball is a redundancy issue. Much better to be able to thrive in an off-ball role."

I hadn't mentioned it in my initial post. Primarily because although the "issue" is real insofar as its a word that technically describes the relationship of their skillsets, its a relative non-factor in my eyes and won't stop either of them from playing at a very high level.

So, I quite agree that eventual success of the Heat offense will weight heavily on the Cavs going forward and that it's a major reason to be optimistic, but you're off-base when you show LeBron/Wade's '11 numbers as if it's proof that there was no redundancy. All that showed is that if you let two stars take turns, they can still both rack up huge numbers. It was a dumb way to play.

Again, I never said there was no redundancy, nor did I mention it in passing. I agree that there is one - my point is that its capacity to limit their respective contributions to the team is overstated, and their overlapping dynamic skillsets will prove much more of a problem for opposing teams than for the Cavs.

When you speak of LeBron being eager to give the ball to Kyrie: I would suggest that that's not something to be excited about. It would be if, say, Kobe were doing that, because it might signal an attitude improvement. LeBron though needs no such improvement. He's deferring to Kyrie right now because he's trying to forge a relationship with the kid and avoid what could become quite antagonistic.

I'm sure Lebron is on some level trying to send a message that Kyrie still has some control of the team. On the other hand, he's made it clear that he does see Kyrie as a lead guard going forward and wants him to retain some ownership over the offense.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11600 ... rie-irving
"I'll probably handle the ball a little bit, but this is Kyrie [Irving]'s show," James said Saturday after the team's first practice of training camp. "He's our point guard. He's our floor general, and we need him to put us in position to succeed offensively. He has to demand that and command that from us with him handling the ball."

"I've never played with a point guard like Kyrie Irving, a guy that can kind of take over a game for himself. We need it."

"I'll be ready to shoot every single time," Irving said with a laugh when asked about James playing point guard. "If I'm off the ball, I'm ready to shoot. Whatever it takes. Whatever it takes to win."

Obviously,how the team functions will be a product of what the situation demands. But both are clearly invested in making the other's life as easy as possible, as well as being up the challenge of taking advantage of the opportunities playing with another star wing presents.

And again: the discussion started with the question of whose role would inflate on the Cavs to become the secondary offensive anchor. Lebron seems to be pushing for it to be Kyrie...which is exactly and all I was saying.

Whether they are redundant or not, and whether it could damage the team, these are all arguments that you introduced. I won't respond to the Kobe bait because, even though i'm positive most of the basis for your statement would be flawed and largely circumstantial, its really just too much to write.

So, you don't consider rebounding to be a part of offense? Okay, that explains some things. I would agree that if you don't include that part of the game Irving's offensive impact will surpass Love's...but of course the nature of the game is that that means that Love will be playing "not offense" oftentimes while Irving keeps playing offense.

Re: Bosh's rebounding going down. Remember that the Heat played smallball, which meant the rebounding sucked, and LeBron played a lot of PF. LeBron wanted Love, and slimmed down, precisely because he was looking for something different.

I think you're falling too in love with a notion of one the offensive scheme requires. The scheme will be formalized and continue to be refined based on the 3 star talents the team has, and when you've got arguably the most capable rebounder in the world and two other guys on the team capable of volume scoring, it would be foolish to not max out what he can give you in rebounding impact.

Its entirely possible Love's rebounding stays the same. Its also possible it goes down. It may even go up. I have no idea. I would bet his offensive rebounding takes a hit, if even a small one. What i'm more sure of is that he won't be the 2nd option, and by virtue of Kyrie's primacy and Love's reduced role - even if not by much - he'll have less influence on the Cavs offense.

Good lord: Where on earth do you get the impression that I'm saying Kyrie will make things worse? "Redundancy" means that each guy has to sacrifice a little bit. That's all. Kyrie has his biggest impact with the ball in his hands. So does LeBron. There's only one ball. They can do great things together, but you can't just add their shots together like they don't affect each other.

From this: "Every possession that Kyrie runs that leaves LeBron a spectator will be Kyrie adding negative value..."

How exactly did you anticipate me interpreting the statement that Kyrie creating without Lebron being part of the play adds negative value to the team...?
john248
Starter

Post#240 » by john248 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:50 am

picc wrote:
john248 wrote:What you're saying isn't exactly true though. Wade developed into a good off-ball player during the time him and LeBron shared the court. He and the Heat had to find new ways for him to score which really meant utilizing his finishing ability. So after that 1st season together, we saw more plays where Wade would come up after a pin down near the elbow to drive in to the basket or hit a 15 footer. Also saw dribble penetration from LeBron while Wade cut in to again, take advantage of either player's finishing ability. Keep in mind that Wade is no 3 point shooter and no off-ball action/plays were called for him in this fashion. Off-ball movement isn't simply 3 point shooting as you're alluding to. Wade was a cutter and running off screens to either finish or take a mid range jumper. Were there times he had the ball in his hands? Of course. He's one of the best in this regard, so he's had plenty of time with the ball. James deserved it more, so Wade adjusted his game accordingly.

He did. But few expected him to. The two of them developed a very nice two-man game using their ballhandling, slashing and passing skills. Everyone expected them to pretty much "take turns", and as it turns out they found a way to create a synergy that didn't rely on one of them spotting up to shoot.

I think your point of Wade adapting to playing with James is valid, and does more to help my position than invalidate it. The same criticisms being levied at Kyrie's "redundancy" pale in comparison to the concerns people had about Wade, and aside from Kyrie's better shooting ability, I think it would be fair to grant Kyrie enough credit to assume he will, similarly, adapt to optimize his particular talents to playing with Lebron.

Not only that, but Lebron's experience with playing alongside another skilled ballhandler will likely see him being able to not only put himself in better position to take advantage of Kyrie breaking down the defense, but to offer him advice on how to do the same.

I don't think you're giving either player enough credit, as much as you think i'm giving them too much. But it'll be fun watching to see what happens, won't it?

Good point, but the article you linked to made a point of analyzing why there might be a difference, and pinpointed two things. One was:

"If he is squared up, he is much more likely to hit his shots, which is pretty intuitive, but more often than not he wasn't set because of a bad pass or an attempt of a rushed shot."

Which passes the logic test, since as the Cavs primary ballhandler it stands to reason many of his "spot-up" attempts would be rushed bail-out shots at the end of the shot clock. With Lebron and Love, it also stands to reason that he'll see an increase in spot-up attempts within the normal confines of the clock, with more time to measure the shot.

And the other was the difference in his shooting mechanics in the two scenarios. I'd be very surprised if that didn't improve given his natural shooting ability and the emphasis Cleveland's coaching staff will place on the roster practicing catching and shooting, considering pretty much everyone's volume on that particular shot will increase going forward.

When Trevor Ariza came to the Lakers, the coaching staff + Bryant were able to turn him into a decent long distance bomber with nothing but practice. If Shawn Marion can post a 38% eFG on catch and shoot 3's with terrible shot mechanics because he's worked at it, its reasonable to believe Irving can see a marked increase this year.

And we've only talked about Kyrie. Lebron is deadly from 3, spotting up and off the dribble. He's going to eat off Irving's dribble penetration too.

*I get your point about rim finishing. But consider that Kyrie's % at the rim(actually 60% for his career) comes at a 24% AST rate. Wade's high-60's finishing rate is better, but since Lebron joined the Heat he's been assisted on over twice as many baskets near the rim (49% AST), a large improvement from an average of around 32% AST pre-Lebron.

Its reasonable to assume Kyrie will also see a lift in rim FG% through Lebron's presence, and even if its not at quite the same rate as Wade, it will help.

*Disclaimer: Rant only somewhat directed at you

The word "redundancy" itself has taken on a connotation that is much more negative than it fundamentally demands. Both Lebron and Kyrie can handle the ball, pass, score, and shoot. 100% of NBA teams, if asked, would approve of their secondary backcourt players improving in each of those areas, and yet we're talking about it as if having more options on the perimeter is a bad thing. If Kyrie is replaced with a knockdown catch-and-shooter in the Damon Jones archetype, the redundancy issue is dissolved entirely, and yet the team would be far worse for it.

Any guard who handles the ball is going to pose at least some redundancy issue with Lebron, or any other high usage wing. My question is: so what?

In terms of problems teams would like to have, two star wing creators is much higher up the list than complementary but limited role player. Even if their production is affected by the others presence - and it will be, probably both good and bad - the tradeoffs in creating a more dynamic offense and eliminating the classic pitfall of having only one player capable of running the team are enormous.

Your comments about Irving being an unproven off-ball player are fine, but that's exactly the same thing people said about Wade. And yes, I acknowledge your comments about his adaptation to the offense but all that came after the fact. Unproven only means unknown, not confirmed.

re: Parker/Gino

As for Parker/Ginobili, Parker actually is not an impactful off-ball player. Even at 40%, his 1.5 total catch and shoot attempts per game are unconvincing of that title. The vast majority of his influence in-game is with the ball, as is Manu's, and my point is that, even with Parker as a weak outside shooter, their success is more evidence that redundancy can easily prove to be an asset instead of a liability when the players possess well-rounded skillsets and/or a modicum of basketball intelligence.

The Spurs run a motion offense, but there's a reason people were remarking that they've never seen this kind of basketball before the finals. Through the years, most of their sets have consisted of Tony or Manu dribbling, probing and attacking - the same things Lebron and Kyrie will be doing - with little visible detriment to each other. Anything is possible, so the Cavs could prove a disaster, but given history, the two players' skillsets, Lebron's experience, and the coaching emphasis on player motion....much more likely its a stunning success and at least one of them has a career year.

I'm betting it will be Irving. Fun to find out.

If you're anticipating Kyrie getting 18ppg with higher efficiency - which doesn't sound crazy to me, for what its worth - what are we arguing about? If that's the extent of the redundancy issues he has with Lebron, who will get his own numbers regardless, seems like the Cavs have little to worry about.

What I don't see is Love reaching 20ppg. Not only from his diminished role, but because his minutes will probably be cut as a result of the Cavs lineup depth and the fact they'll be blowing teams out.

Full court alleyoop, anyone?

Who said I didn't give any credit to Wade? I've explicitly said he's a great finisher, and the Heat came up with a way to use him differently, and Wade worked on that aspect of his game. Given that Wade is so good finishing, and one of the best ever at it, we can see why he did well. This runs contrast to what Irving has shown. He's not a pure shooter. He has mechanical issues with his shot, and he's wasn't comfortable on catch and shoots. He's not good at that part of the game. This is why there's some skepticism. You can't just crown the guy. You can single out a quote, but other off-ball players run into the same issues in regards to receiving an inaccurate pass or not being squared up. Being squared up takes practice and something that you work on. Understanding angles and knowing how to get open as an off-ball player is another thing that you work on and requires experience. That's on Irving. No one is saying that he'll forever suck at this, mind you. But as it is, he's very much behind the curve.

I'm not sure why you're bringing up Damon Jones. Why not Lillard? Can't really say I'd even bother responding to this point you're making if you replace a starter with a 12th man type. I've also never said anything about replacing Irving with a limited role player. Why would that happen?

Initially you used Parker and Ginobili as a support to your claim. Now you are tearing them down as off-ball players. Why call Parker a weak outside shooter when he'as only asked to make mid-range shots and is above league average at that? Irving isn't... Weird argument you're trying to make in both saying, hey the Spurs do it with their backcourt so the Cavs can too, but by the way, Parker is a weak shooter & not off-ball so I take back what I said. Ok well, I guess we'll just leave it at that. And what Irving does without the ball has never compared to what the Spurs duo have done. I'm not sure why you'd limit what they do as just strict on-ball players.

I think Irving's percentages go up by virtue of lower volume and not being as much of a focal point on offense for the defenses to key in on. This doesn't mean that I think he'll be a spectacular off-ball player as you make it out to be. This also doesn't mean I think he'll be strictly an off-ball player. He'll have plenty of opportunities with the ball in his hands to do what he does best with the ball. I don't see him as good as someone like Curry or Lillard, both who have shown to be good off-ball players, if each were to switch places with Irving.

My view point will likely change midway through the season or next year depending on how he develops. As of now, there's no reason to feel threatened by his off-ball game. He hasn't shown it.
The Last Word

Return to Player Comparisons