In Today's Game: Oscar Robertson vs. Magic Johnson

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Quick Eye
Freshman
And1: 55

In Today's Game: Oscar Robertson vs. Magic Johnson 

Post#1 » by Quick Eye » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Which change would you see being more likely to occur: Magic as a SF/PF or Oscar as a SG in today's game?

During an episode of NBATV's Open Court, Isiah Thomas said Magic Johnson might be used as a post player today - more specifically as a center. Thomas said some coaches wouldn't use Magic in the high pick-and-rolls some offenses utilize today. Instead of revolutionizing the center position as Thomas suggested, I think Magic Johnson might be a small forward from the start of his career and end his career as a power forward. He might not control the ball as much at the small forward position but his talent at any position would revolutionize the game.

I could see Oscar come into the league as a point guard but make the transition to the shooting guard position similar to Dwyane Wade. As a big guard, coaches might try to get the ball out of Oscar's hands some and have him focus more on scoring than trying to run the whole show and score a lot of points at the same time.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Re: In Today's Game: Oscar Robertson vs. Magic Johnson 

Post#2 » by Quotatious » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:41 pm

If Michael Carter-Williams or Shaun Livingston play PG today, I don't see why Oscar or Magic couldn't. Anyway, the only thing that matters is that both would have to be the primary ballhandlers of their teams, so I guess it implies PG, but Magic would be able to play 4 positions comfortably (in the late 80s/early 90s, he sometimes played like a PF on offense, posting up a lot, so he wouldn't even have to adjust that much). Oscar would be able to play 3 positions comfortably (on defense, I think he would be better guarding SGs and SFs than PGs, because his strength was relatively better than his quickness, from what I've seen, and he was a big, bulky body - would be listed as 6'6'', probably about 225-230 lbs today, with excellent, and often underrated, athleticism).

As far as who would be better today, between Oscar and Magic, Johnson definitely seems to be the safer bet, simply because he played when the league was much more advanced, compared to the 60s, but I have no doubt that Robertson would figure it out and be a star, as well. He was just so far ahead of his peers, as far as backcourt players (only West was at his level), that he would still have a solid foundation to build on, even today (and he was an extremely smart player).
Quick Eye
Freshman
And1: 55

Post#3 » by Quick Eye » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:27 pm

I think Magic's height and versatility makes him the safe bet in a heads-on comparison. I was shocked when I heard Kareem on ESPN's First Take saying something like, "There's one name missing in those hypothetical one-on-one match ups and that's Oscar Robertson. He would have whipped anybody." I was always curious who Kareem liked playing with the most between the two and who he thought was better. But maybe out of respect, perhaps he won't answer that.

The reason I made this thread is that it seems like game is different today and even at the high school level the emphasis on "3-pointer, dunk, free-throws" is changing how some guys are being coached. If you take that a step further, some people might be switched off their natural position. Isiah Thomas went as far to say that these offensive philosophies are almost like taking video game strategy/emphasis and trying to put that into real life. I'm badly stating the opinion but it was interesting.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#4 » by GYK » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:43 pm

as Q said their position title is irrelevant. We've seen post and perimeter passing control games. These are two great post players and in the open court have the vision of Nash or Kidd.
Also the pick and roll has always been apart of the offense of basketball. Difference is that it started around the foul line.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#5 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:51 pm

Close, but it comes down to Robertson was a superior scorer. If you needed points, you could have Oscar get them. Johnson was a good scorer on a team with other good scorers, but not great one on one. Nothing against Johnson, he was a fantastic player. But there's nothing he did that Oscar couldn't do as well. And again, Oscar was the better player one on one. While both players took a little break on defense, Robertson could play very tough onball defense when necessary. Johnson, not so much.
Chi-laska
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#6 » by Chi-laska » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:42 pm

yea Oscar play as SG is more likely, and I think that would not change up his game dramatically. But there is no way I would take Magic off the PG position. He had great vision and post game. I can think of any PG in todays game that would be able to guard him the post. I like Magic at PG because I think as a coach the best advantage you can have is an offensive matchup problem. Make the other team adjust their defense an try to figure us out. Magic could give a great height advantage, a rebounding edge and he was good at running the offense at scoring. What more could you really want from a player.
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#7 » by lorak » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:54 pm

In today's game I see Oscar as bigger and better version of Chris Paul, while Magic would be kind of like LeBron, but with better shooting and game more postup oriented, but also with worse ball handling, p&r game and defense. And I wonder if Magic would be able to be primary ball handler today, I mean, even in the 80s he often had to dribble with his back to the basket and that would be even bigger issue today, when perimeter players are stronger and quicker.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#8 » by GYK » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:12 pm

I don't think Zeke should say Lebron has better handles.
Magic was bigger then who would be guarding him. Having to be crafty to get around them. Neither does Lebron.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_t ... broll.nba/
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#9 » by Warspite » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Neither would guard PGs but both would run the offense.

If they both grew up with a 3pt line and current coaching I see np with either of them being an MVP in todays NBA.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
Swagalicious
Sixth Man
And1: 574

Post#10 » by Swagalicious » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:37 pm

I think people undersell Oscar's lack of range and off the bounce shooting ability, which is important to have because his style doesn't work too well at his old volume considering the Barkley rule. defenses today can also force players off the post and make it tough on post players much easier than back in the days. Make no mistake he'd still be All-NBA level and a superstar, but not ATG-level
Biz Gilwalker wrote:2009 Kobe didn't play defense
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#11 » by Samurai » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:34 am

Quick Eye wrote:I think Magic's height and versatility makes him the safe bet in a heads-on comparison. I was shocked when I heard Kareem on ESPN's First Take saying something like, "There's one name missing in those hypothetical one-on-one match ups and that's Oscar Robertson. He would have whipped anybody." I was always curious who Kareem liked playing with the most between the two and who he thought was better. But maybe out of respect, perhaps he won't answer that.

The reason I made this thread is that it seems like game is different today and even at the high school level the emphasis on "3-pointer, dunk, free-throws" is changing how some guys are being coached. If you take that a step further, some people might be switched off their natural position. Isiah Thomas went as far to say that these offensive philosophies are almost like taking video game strategy/emphasis and trying to put that into real life. I'm badly stating the opinion but it was interesting.

Kareem played with Oscar in Milwaukee when KAJ was at his physical peak (I know some consider 77 to be his statistical peak, but to my eyes he was a bit quicker in Milwaukee than he was in LA, even in 77). Kareem was already past his prime when he played with Magic, slightly past when Magic started to way past his prime by the time KAJ finally hung them up. Oscar was a key member of those Bucks but Kareem was undoubtedly THE MAN on that team. Once Magic joined the Lakers, the team eventually became Magic's team as Kareem aged. Given Oscar's role in setting up Kareem during his physical peak, I think it is somewhat natural for Kareem to remember Oscar with such fond memories under those circumstances.

That being said, I think both Magic and Oscar would both still be better playing PG today than moving to other positions. Of the two, I think Magic would be a bit more effective at SF today than Oscar at SG. Oscar was at his best controlling the ball; I just don't see him being as effective playing off the ball. He was a fantastic floor general. In addition, Oscar's range went out to about 15 feet or so; he was absolutely deadly from 15 feet on in. But in today's game with a 3-point line, a SG needs to create more spacing with an outside shot than that. Could Oscar develop a jumpshot out to 23 feet today (remember he used a one-hand set shot from the top of the key, and that was used extremely sparingly)? I don't know since I never saw him shoot a jumper beyond 15 feet. So absent any evidence that he could, I think he would still be a great PG today but I don't think he is best suited to play SG today.
Exodus
Banned User
And1: 571

Post#12 » by Exodus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:31 am

Magic is a pure point guard. I hate when they compare Lebron to Magic. Magic court vision and passing was on another level. I don't know why you waste Magic in the post, when he can practically look over defenses. If you don't use Magic running the show for 94 feet of the court, then you are an idiot. Magic was at his best when running the floor and orchestrating show time.

Return to Player Comparisons