Where do you rank Carmelo anthony in all time SF of nba?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

top 5
5%
top 10
20%
top 15
45%
top 20
25%
20 or more?
5%

Total votes: 20

wully834
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#1 » by wully834 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:14 am

dont know if somebody make a topic on it or can make one like this .but its 2015 new system new coach for knicks n melo and could be the last few great years of melo . turning 31 this year these few next season could be carmelo last to get his ring .

carmelo resume

1x Scoring champion
2x 2nd all nba team
3x third nba team
25/7 playoffs think like two times he got out first round . 2nd round and conference finals
25/6/3 12 seasons
mvp voting hes been up there over the years of his career
hitting 20k this year . could hit top 10 all time scoring list
idk about all his team records with nuggets/knicks

i know his resume aint like lebron or even kd at this time . but hes been a top player in this league for a minute . at the 3 cant really say theres better scorers then him or scoring in the league

maybe if carmelo got a ring in the next few season with knicks where you guys put him at?
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Re: Where do you rank Carmelo anthony in all time SF of nba? 

Post#2 » by SactoKingsFan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:57 am

Haven't figured out exactly where I'd rank Melo, but he's definitely not a top 10 SF. At least LeBron, Bird, Dr J, Pippen, Barry, Havlicek, Baylor, Pierce, Durant, Nique and English are clearly ahead of Melo.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,826

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:04 am

Maybe 13th would be my best guess.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#4 » by trex_8063 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:13 am

Top 15 SF (probably fringe top 15) all-time at this point in his career (though obv he's still got time to rise).

Lebron, Bird, the Doctor, Pippen, Hondo, Baylor, Barry, Durant, Pierce......there are 9 guys I think he's got basically zero case over at this point in time.

Nique and English......very difficult to make a credible case for Melo over them, imo. Dantley, Hill, and Arizin...........these are guys who I think it's at least somewhat difficult to make a credible case for Melo over them. Certainly think it's beyond reasonable to claim he's ahead of ALL 5 of these guys (so def no top 10).

Then there's TMac to consider (is he a SG or a SF?). If he's a SF, that's one more who's likely ahead of Melo all-time. So hypothetically he could even be just on the outside of the 15 lookin' in.

My 2c...
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#5 » by Moonbeam » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:29 am

trex_8063 wrote:Top 15 SF (probably fringe top 15) all-time at this point in his career (though obv he's still got time to rise).

Lebron, Bird, the Doctor, Pippen, Hondo, Baylor, Barry, Durant, Pierce......there are 9 guys I think he's got basically zero case over at this point in time.

Nique and English......very difficult to make a credible case for Melo over them, imo. Dantley, Hill, and Arizin...........these are guys who I think it's at least somewhat difficult to make a credible case for Melo over them. Certainly think it's beyond reasonable to claim he's ahead of ALL 5 of these guys (so def no top 10).

Then there's TMac to consider (is he a SG or a SF?). If he's a SF, that's one more who's likely ahead of Melo all-time. So hypothetically he could even be just on the outside of the 15 lookin' in.

My 2c...

That's where I see him as well. I've got the same top 9 as you, with Dantley/English/Nique battling it out for 10th. Worthy is in there somewhere as well. I'd also throw Bernard King into the mix - I don't know if I'd take Carmelo over him, even with King's durability and off-court issues.
XtotheDeezy
Veteran
And1: 1,790

Post#6 » by XtotheDeezy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:31 am

I think Top 20 is a safe bet.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#7 » by Notanoob » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:40 am

Let's see...LeBron, Bird, Dr. J, Pip, Hondo, Barry, Durant, Pierce, Hill, Dantley and English are all guys I'd put firmly ahead of Carmelo. I think that you could argue for Bernard King and Marquese Johnson. If I considered McGrady and Rodman SFs I'd take them ahead of Carmelo. I usually think of Rodman as a SF (as he spent his Pistons career at SF), but most people don't, and I don't consider McGrady a SF, although some do.

I'm not really sure where to place Arizin, since he played in the 50s/60s. Baylor is a guy who I'm still thinking about.

Carmelo edges out Aquirre and Nique, two other big scoring SFs.

That puts him at 15th all time, pending I figure out what I think about Baylor and Arizin.
wully834
Sophomore

Post#8 » by wully834 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:55 am

SactoKingsFan wrote:Haven't figured out exactly where I'd rank Melo, but he's definitely not a top 10 SF. At least LeBron, Bird, Dr J, Pippen, Barry, Havlicek, Baylor, Pierce, Durant, Nique and English are clearly ahead of Melo.

i thought about it too . i wouldnt put him top 5 maybe not even 10 and im a knicks fan . he really needs a ring or an mvp , or a 30/9 season something to put him over . but i always felt carmelo was one of the best at his position and never really talk about about being best 3s of all time .
wully834
Sophomore

Post#9 » by wully834 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:59 am

trex_8063 wrote:Top 15 SF (probably fringe top 15) all-time at this point in his career (though obv he's still got time to rise).

My 2c...

wouldnt put mac as a 3 . most of his career was sg only time he was playing 3 was with houston if im right .
he was just 6 9 so he never had problem with height so jvgundy played him as a point foward somewhat
MoneyMitch
Banned User
And1: 1,562

Post#10 » by MoneyMitch » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:37 am

More playoff success would thrust him into the top 10

A ring likely top 5

A couple rings??? Who knows

But he's outside the top 10 right now
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#11 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:59 am

Well, I think there are some specials he has no argument against:

LeBron
Bird
Dr. J
Barry
Havlicek
Baylor

and he's not as good as Durant is, or Hill was, but not sure how to factor in the shorter careers (to this point for Durant).

After that it gets more interesting.
-- I think Nique is the greatest of the pure scorers for me. Greater than Melo.
-- I think Pierce gets overrated. He's never been a first rate great player and he never won much of anything until he got 2 other HOFs to join him. Melo has made 6 All NBA teams, Pierce only 4. Pierce was the better rounded player, but never the same level first rate offensive weapon. Its close. If Melo could sustain greatness for a few more years I might give him the nod.
-- and then...you know most of the other great pure scorers had similar strengths/weaknesses as Melo. Dantley, English, King, Aguirre, the list goes on of big score/who me defend potent SF weapons. So I have him somewhere in that pack of big SF scorers who never did quite enough all around to be true franchise guys. Probably somewhere in the #11-#15 range.
Swagalicious
Sixth Man
And1: 574

Post#12 » by Swagalicious » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:38 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:-- I think Nique is the greatest of the pure scorers for me. Greater than Melo.

Would you please explain? :o I don't even think he's a better scorer than Carmelo is, at least not from a "pure scoring" POV. I'd also really like to see young Melo play in the up-and-down 80's, before he started becoming primarily a jumpshooter.
Biz Gilwalker wrote:2009 Kobe didn't play defense
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#13 » by GYK » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:39 am

Lebron
Bird
Doc
Hondo
Baylor
Barry
Pippen
Are only greater. The top 3, with Durant, probably will be unreachable. Hill and King would have been there as well if they stayed healthy.
I don't rank in progress careers but only these players are so greater.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#14 » by tsherkin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Top of m head, LBJ, Erving, Bird and KD are instantly and irrefutably superior.

Pierce, Nique, English, Hondo, Pippen, Mullin, Baylor, King and Billy C all have arguments (some stronger/weaker than others). Somewhere in the 10-15ish range, I'd guess. Would have to really think hard about it to nail down a spot. He's good, but not top-tier. Generally unimpressive in the playoffs, explicable but still poor postseason team success, insufficient individual recognition to elevate above the others.... Basically, he's got scoring volume and that is it. Compared to the others, I mean.

Edit: Somehow forgot Rick Barry...
JLei
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,965

Post#15 » by JLei » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Lebron James
Larry Bird
Julius Erving
Scottie Pippen
Kevin Durant
John Havlicek
Elgin Baylor
Rick Barry
Paul Pierce
Bernard King
Dominique Wilkins
Grant Hill

I have above Melo. I guess on an all time list Melo would eventually leap frog Hill.

Top 15. At best 10th. Could easily end up around above where Pierce is by the end of his career.
Modern Era Fantasy Game Champ! :king:
PG: Ricky Rubio 16
SG: Brandon Roy 09
SF: Danny Green 14
PF: Rasheed Wallace 06
C: Shaquille O'Neal 01

G: George Hill 14
F: Anthony Parker 10
C: Amir Johnson 12
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#16 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:03 pm

top 15
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#17 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:26 pm

JLei wrote:Lebron James
Larry Bird
Julius Erving
Scottie Pippen
Kevin Durant
John Havlicek
Elgin Baylor
Rick Barry
Paul Pierce
Bernard King
Dominique Wilkins
Grant Hill

I have above Melo. I guess on an all time list Melo would eventually leap frog Hill.

Top 15. At best 10th. Could easily end up around above where Pierce is by the end of his career.

Would also argue Carter and McGrady

I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
JLei
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,965

Post#18 » by JLei » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:32 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:
JLei wrote:Lebron James
Larry Bird
Julius Erving
Scottie Pippen
Kevin Durant
John Havlicek
Elgin Baylor
Rick Barry
Paul Pierce
Bernard King
Dominique Wilkins
Grant Hill

Would also argue Carter and McGrady

Have them as 2's. Carter and McGrady are on that list above Carmelo if you consider them 3's.
Modern Era Fantasy Game Champ! :king:
PG: Ricky Rubio 16
SG: Brandon Roy 09
SF: Danny Green 14
PF: Rasheed Wallace 06
C: Shaquille O'Neal 01

G: George Hill 14
F: Anthony Parker 10
C: Amir Johnson 12
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#19 » by trex_8063 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Moonbeam wrote:

My 2c...

That's where I see him as well. I've got the same top 9 as you, with Dantley/English/Nique battling it out for 10th. Worthy is in there somewhere as well. I'd also throw Bernard King into the mix - I don't know if I'd take Carmelo over him, even with King's durability and off-court issues.

Oh yeah, I actually totally forgot about Worthy. He's debatable (though far from a sure thing) vs Melo, imo. King, I'm actually fairly comfortable putting a little behind Melo.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#20 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:26 pm

tsherkin wrote:Top of m head, LBJ, Erving, Bird and KD are instantly and irrefutably superior.

Pierce, Nique, English, Hondo, Pippen, Mullin, Baylor, King and Billy C all have arguments (some stronger/weaker than others). Somewhere in the 10-15ish range, I'd guess. Would have to really think hard about it to nail down a spot. He's good, but not top-tier. Generally unimpressive in the playoffs, explicable but still poor postseason team success, insufficient individual recognition to elevate above the others.... Basically, he's got scoring volume and that is it. Compared to the others, I mean.

Edit: Somehow forgot Rick Barry...

Mullin!

Forgot him somehow.

Tough call on that one. Peak/prime Mullin has much more respect. He's not just a scorer, he's a shootist, and a passer/guy who creates for teammates. But it was a short peak/prime and Melo has been doing what he does for nearly twice as long. Might answer the Melo = HOF? question in itself.

Return to Player Comparisons