G35
RealGM
And1: 7,750

Re: Bob Ryan: Isiah over Nash, Stockton, Iverson, Cousy, Tin 

Post#81 » by G35 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:49 am

Sasaki wrote:
Brenice wrote:
Owly wrote:

It's not particularly important to me in terms of how good a player was, but Isiah getting FMVP in the scenario of a Detroit win is far from a given (not that the above represents proof but it's the only opinion I've seen from the time on said hypothetical).

True. I agree. What is good to you is playing for efficiency, I get it. But in my book, that is playing NOT TO LOSE.

Zeke PLAYED TO WIN.

You may not have learned this from watching ESPN, but typing out "Played to Win" in capital letters does not somehow make your analysis somehow less narrative-based and vague.

I don't see how it's vague. Isn't this suppose to be one of the biggest collections of basketball minds on the internet? I was able to understand his point. Playing efficiently can limit your options which is why it's not the end all when analyzing a players ability.

I hear how people criticize Stockton for "not taking over enough" in the playoff's. What Isiah did was take over and played to win. Even Nash for all his offensive prowess does NOT have that capability of scoring in the manner Isiah did in the Finals. We are actually left to wonder how Nash would perform in the finals.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
nonjokegetter
Banned User
And1: 587

Post#82 » by nonjokegetter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:00 am

KILLER INSTINCT!!! HEART!!!! DETERMINATION!!!

I'll take "What are things people say when they realize they don't have an objective argument? for $200, Alex."
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,676

Post#83 » by penbeast0 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:06 am

And, of course, Stockton wasn't much on those things . . . I'm sure he didn't give up his body on defense, didn't play hurt, missed a lot of time, was known for taking days off on the court . . . no? mmmm . . . .

The argument for Isiah over Stockton is simple, Isiah was a more explosive scorer.

The argument for Stockton over Isiah is simple, Stockton was a better playmaker, more efficient scorer, and had a longer and incredibly consistent career.

Depends on what you value.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#84 » by ronnymac2 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:51 am

Isiah and Cousy actually have a lot in common. Only things Stockton and Cousy have in common is they played for great coaches and they racked up lots of assists.

I think I'd go with:

Nash
Isiah
Stockton/Iverson/Tiny
Cousy
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
Exodus
Banned User
And1: 571

Post#85 » by Exodus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:30 pm

I can't believe the disrespect Isiah gets on this site. He had to go through murderous row to get a ring. He earned his ring. He had to go though Jordan's Bulls, Bird's Celtics and Magic's Lakers to grab a ring. He was the leader of those bad boy teams. He was the driving force, and the team looked to him to show them the lead. That is what he did, was pave the way to a ring. He did whatever the team needed to. He could facilitate if needed, go into lock down scoring mode, he would play lock down defense if needed. He knew when to get the team involved and when to take over games. Look at all those explosive late quarter games Isiah in his career. Great players adjust their game when needed to balance and maximize the team at that moment. Whatever his team needed, that is what Isiah did for them. Stock was to much of a unselfish player, putting up gaudy statistics, but he didn't give the Jazz what they needed at pivotal points in the game like Isiah did. Stockton was a wonderful player, but Isiah was better. thread/
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#86 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:53 am

Brenice wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
Brenice wrote:
Meaningless because he lost.

So you'll never bring it up again, right?

As long as you don't bring up the names of John Stockton or Steve Nash because their careers are meaningless.

Seems a little extreme, don't it?
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,750

Post#87 » by G35 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:21 am

Baiting
I'm so tired of the typical......

Return to Player Comparisons