Who could have helped the 1994 Bulls 4-peat?

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,186

Who could have helped the 1994 Bulls 4-peat? 

Post#1 » by D.Brasco » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:46 pm

The 1994 Bulls did better than probably anybody expected they would given the circumstances. In Jordan's absense do you think the inclusion of any other star wing from that period could have gotten them the championship that year had they been able to add that player to the roster?
colts18
Head Coach
And1: 3,237

Re: Who would have helped the 1994 Bulls 4-peat? 

Post#2 » by colts18 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:48 pm

Michael Jordan
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,186

Re: Who would have helped the 1994 Bulls 4-peat? 

Post#3 » by D.Brasco » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:51 pm

colts18 wrote:Michael Jordan

Yes that's insightful but that's not the question I'm posting:

In Jordan's absense do you think the inclusion of any other star wing from that period could have gotten them the championship that year had they been able to add that player to the roster?
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Re: Who could have helped the 1994 Bulls 4-peat? 

Post#4 » by GYK » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:03 pm

I don't think anyone really could help except a Jordan.
They were a third seed and tied for the 6th best team in the league.
They were a top 10 defense but average offense.
They were top 2 offenses while threepeating.
CaliBullsFan
Banned User
And1: 244

Post#5 » by CaliBullsFan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:04 pm

Pippen and Grant staying healthy probably gets them home court and they win
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#6 » by E-Balla » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Reggie Miller. Defensively they aren't declining much (Pete Myers? Really) and offensively they are improving to be top 10 easy. They will easily make it out the east and in the Finals I think Reggie's super mode could help offset Hakeem going into super mode.
Joe Curry
Senior
And1: 77

Post#7 » by Joe Curry » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:05 pm

Mitch Richmond
Clyde Drexler
Or
Laterell Spreewell
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#8 » by Joao Saraiva » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:49 pm

Any big FA that off season the Bulls could have gotten? I'd really like to see if there was a realistic option there. I honestly don't remember.

People saying Miller or Clyde Drexler... well the Bulls have to give something for them. So maybe that wouldn't help much. I think OP is trying to ask if there was something better the Bulls could have done.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#9 » by Warspite » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:16 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:Any big FA that off season the Bulls could have gotten? I'd really like to see if there was a realistic option there. I honestly don't remember.

People saying Miller or Clyde Drexler... well the Bulls have to give something for them. So maybe that wouldn't help much. I think OP is trying to ask if there was something better the Bulls could have done.

MJs salary still counted against the cap, They had no space.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#10 » by Joao Saraiva » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:23 pm

Warspite wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:Any big FA that off season the Bulls could have gotten? I'd really like to see if there was a realistic option there. I honestly don't remember.

So... was there some vet that would play for min at the SG position in the FA list?
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Cpt Lebyadkin
Junior
And1: 59

Post#11 » by Cpt Lebyadkin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:36 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:
Warspite wrote:

So... was there some vet that would play for min at the SG position in the FA list?

They got Ron Harper the following year, and that didn't really help them much.
Cpt Lebyadkin
Junior
And1: 59

Post#12 » by Cpt Lebyadkin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:48 pm

CaliBullsFan wrote:Pippen and Grant staying healthy probably gets them home court and they win

The whole eastern conference was ravaged by injury that year. The Cavs and Hornets, who were just as good as the Bulls, on a much more devastating scale.

That Bulls team wasn't nearly as good as their record suggests. They benefited from a weakened conference which was in a transition year. The Celtics and Pistons were no longer perennial playoff teams due to retirements the previous year, the Hornets and cavs struggled with injury, the Magic were much too young, and the pacers were still pieces away (which they would eventually add) from contending.

If anything, the Bulls underachieved. They bowed out to a knicks team that was considerably worse than the season before.

Return to Player Comparisons