What are you guys expecting from Dirk and Timmy this year?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

What are you guys expecting from Dirk and Timmy this year? 

Post#1 » by ceiling raiser » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:20 am

Also, what do you think of their play so far to start the season?
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Re: What are you guys expecting from Dirk and Timmy this yea 

Post#2 » by PaulieWal » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:33 am

fpliii wrote:Also, what do you think of their play so far to start the season?

Both have been decent to start the season. Honestly as long as they don't fall off a cliff I will be happy. It will happen one of these years :(. Only hope is that it's not that one. Both Carlisle and Pop are going to do their best to limit their minutes but when a player is in his late 30s you never know when that wall is coming.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:48 pm

Well first Duncan is going to Duncan. He's going to have numbers that don't wow you until you take note that per minute or per possession, he's producing almost as well as he did in his prime. He will still defend at an elite level. And his team will be right there at the end. Trust me as a Mavs fan, I have been dying for Father Time to win, but he's done a great job taking care of his body and Pop manages his minutes beautifully. Stupid Tim Duncan.

Dirk's looked spot on offensively. Jumper is dialed in, post game is in order. Rebounding appears to still be in decline and he's losing a step defensively as well. Still expect him to be around 20 ppg and the Mavs will be a top 2-3 offense with him anchoring it and should be a solid playoff team in the West. Hopefully Rick can really keep his minutes down so he has his legs for the PS.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
RayBan-Sematra
Assistant Coach
And1: 911

Post#4 » by RayBan-Sematra » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:02 pm

Hopefully for both to simply not decline or not decline much.
Duncan looked great last year. Very healthy and very spry/mobile.
Seemed like he might have lost a touch of weight.
Started off this year with a fantastic game.

Watched a tiny bit of Dirk so far this year and he has looked nice.
As Chuck said his jumper is on point and he looks healthy & in shape.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#5 » by Dr Spaceman » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:04 pm

My favorite thing about the Mavs/Spurs game on Tuesday was that the Mavs went toe to toe with S.A. through pretty much the whole first half while Dirk ended up with like 4 points at halftime. Parsons had a terrible game, but he was trying to be a legitimate playmaker out there which is a good sign. And Chandler's rebounding and finishing bring a huge dimension to the offense as well. I might go as far as to say Chandler's presence will do as much for the offense as the defense. Two playmakers on the wing, an interior force, and a good shooter at point look to be a pretty balanced attack around Nowitzki.

All this is to say I think Dirk will have a much easier time this year and have to carry far less of a load. Hopefully this means he doesn't fall apart in the playoffs again.heres to a great season for him.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,775

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:20 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:I might go as far as to say Chandler's presence will do as much for the offense as the defense. Two playmakers on the wing, an interior force, and a good shooter at point look to be a pretty balanced attack around Nowitzki.

Good point. I wouldn't go quite so far as to say he will do as much for the offense as the defense because the offense was already quite good without him and the defense really needs not just his play, but his leadership and being vocal on the court.

But he definitely helps offensively because he has such great hands for a big, finishes well(5 or 6 dunks on lobs/put backs last night alone), is a good offensive rebounder, backtaps boards he can't grab, can knock down a 15 footer, and makes smart decisions with the ball. He's like getting most of the offensive benefits that Brandon Wright brings while being an infinitely better defender and much better rebounder.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,314

Post#7 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:23 pm

It's really hard to believe dirk is in his 18th season with the way he's started off the year. Still looks as fluid as ever offensively, and we know he's already slowed down defensively, so not much surprise there. I was more focused on him than duncan watching that game, but with the way he played in the playoffs last season, i expect another solid year from him barring serious injury.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#8 » by trex_8063 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:33 pm

Quintessential (awesome) role-player type season at the least; All-Star (or borderline All-Star) at the best (Dirk with probably more potential of being an All-Star).
Fantastic career players; this year just some final icing on the cake for both careers, imo.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#9 » by trex_8063 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:34 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:It's really hard to believe dirk is in his 18th season with the way he's started off the year. Still looks as fluid as ever offensively, and we know he's already slowed down defensively, so not much surprise there. I was more focused on him than duncan watching that game, but with the way he played in the playoffs last season, i expect another solid year from him barring serious injury.

Accuracy Nazi here: it's actually Dirk's 17th season (is Timmy's 18th).
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd

Return to Player Comparisons